Kodi Community Forum
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Tips, tricks, and step by step guides (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=110)
+--- Thread: [XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox (/showthread.php?tid=33429)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

- gabbott - 2008-11-30

So here is a question, if I'm re-encoding a h264 HD scene release, in MeGUI should I set the source type to progressive or film?

- romi7519 - 2008-11-30

gabbott Wrote:So here is a question, if I'm re-encoding a h264 HD scene release, in MeGUI should I set the source type to progressive or film?
u do not need to touch those settings.
they are for dvd/mpeg2 video only and the fields will get accumulated after doing the auto analyse.

- gabbott - 2008-11-30

romi7519 Wrote:u do not need to touch those settings.
they are for dvd/mpeg2 video only and the fields will get accumulated after doing the auto analyse.

Problem is I've tried two different films and used auto-analyse. It came back on both for source type of "M-in-5 decimation required" and automatically set it to deinterlace. I tried one encode with those settings and the output came out really jerky.

So are you saying to just not fill the fields in when doing an encode?

- JPSiemer - 2008-11-30

gabbott Wrote:So here is a question, if I'm re-encoding a h264 HD scene release, in MeGUI should I set the source type to progressive or film?

Ya, I wouldn't touch that. Scene releases are already progressive 99.9% of the time.

- romi7519 - 2008-11-30

gabbott Wrote:So are you saying to just not fill the fields in when doing an encode?
that's correct. as prev mentioned. only touch those settings if source is dvd (mpeg2).

- gabbott - 2008-11-30

Thanks for the clarification guys!

- Rookie - 2008-12-01

I see a BIG difference with Blueray to Xvid or h264 rather than a dvd5 source.BDrips = "disc source" and BRrips = "Converted source"(such as Tropic Thunder UNRATED PROPER 1080p BluRay x264-Japhson).
If you have a better source most of the time you will get better quality.But like somebody else stated you have to deal with how well people re-encode their videos.

Final Settings for Handbrake users? - david81 - 2008-12-02

JPSiemer Wrote:Everyone, after hundreds of successful encodes, I beleive I have hit the final xBox264 settings. The Wiki has been updated with two different, Xbox-optimized profiles... one for those who prefer quality over filesize and the other for those who prefer filesize over quality. I also removed all mention of AAC, as it uses a LOT of CPU power to decode, and that was causing a lot of skipping. So use AC3 or MP3 audio for best results.

The most recent settings are located @ the updated Wiki page: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO_Encode_H.264_Videos_Compatible_With_XBMC_For_Xbox

Use the following MPlayer hack for optimal playback of H.264 on the Xbox: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=190542&postcount=51

And finally, to clear up something that has been bugging me for quite a while... ripping from a 4.5GB Blu-Ray/HDDVD scene rip is always going to yield MUCH better quality than ripping from a 9GB retail DVD. The lowest quality HD is usually on par with the highest quality DVD. I can't count how many times I have heard the opposite and I just want to set the record straight so that you guys are getting the best quality out of your rips!

-JPSIEMER

Is there a chance you might be willing to translate the final settings for a PC Handbrake user? I'd be happy to use MeGUI but most of my DVDs are stored in ISO files that MeGUI doesn't like but Handbrake handles very nicely.

Thanks much in advance,

David

- JPSiemer - 2008-12-02

david81 Wrote:Is there a chance you might be willing to translate the final settings for a PC Handbrake user? I'd be happy to use MeGUI but most of my DVDs are stored in ISO files that MeGUI doesn't like but Handbrake handles very nicely.

Thanks much in advance,

David

Don't rip to ISO files in the first place... OR mount your ISO's with a virtual CD drive like DAEMON Tools... OR extract your ISO's to a folder using WinRAR, PowerISO, etc... OR don't use DVD sources and go with BD-Rips instead... OR ask someone on the Handbrake forum to "translate" the settings for you.

... Actually, I take that back -- don't ask anyone... Handbrake is crap and it isn't even worth using.

Laugh

- JPSiemer - 2008-12-02

Rookie Wrote:I see a BIG difference with Blueray to Xvid or h264 rather than a dvd5 source.BDrips = "disc source" and BRrips = "Converted source"(such as Tropic Thunder UNRATED PROPER 1080p BluRay x264-Japhson).
If you have a better source most of the time you will get better quality.But like somebody else stated you have to deal with how well people re-encode their videos.

Thanks for the information. I did not know there was a difference until now. After I read your post I did some research and dug up this informative article detailing the differences between the two and it even shows screenshots comparing BD/BR-Rips vs DVD-Rips. Check it out... http://filesharefreak.com/2008/11/19/blu-ray-brrip-bdrip-two-new-xvid-hd-formats/

- romi7519 - 2008-12-02

JPSiemer Wrote:Handbrake is crap and it isn't even worth using.

ditto!

- zavius - 2008-12-02

JPSiemer Wrote:Don't rip to ISO files in the first place... OR mount your ISO's with a virtual CD drive like DAEMON Tools... OR extract your ISO's to a folder using WinRAR, PowerISO, etc... OR don't use DVD sources and go with BD-Rips instead... OR ask someone on the Handbrake forum to "translate" the settings for you.

... Actually, I take that back -- don't ask anyone... Handbrake is crap and it isn't even worth using.

Laugh

Unless of course you are using Linux and meGUI isn't an option.....

- david81 - 2008-12-02

JPSiemer Wrote:Don't rip to ISO files in the first place... OR mount your ISO's with a virtual CD drive like DAEMON Tools... OR extract your ISO's to a folder using WinRAR, PowerISO, etc... OR don't use DVD sources and go with BD-Rips instead... OR ask someone on the Handbrake forum to "translate" the settings for you.

Laugh

Thanks for the helpful post.

Regarding your comments...100+ DVDs are already stored in ISO format and I really don't feel like re-ripping them. I could extract each, but that, obviously might take a while. In the future I'll, of course, just rip to a folder, but I have to make do with what I have right now.

I could go over to the Handbrake forum, and probably will, but I thought I'd try here first since Handbrake settings were so nicely provided previously.

And I might consider moving away from Handbrake (which makes my job a lot easier since it can handle the many ISOs I already have) if I was shown a good reason, not just "Handbrake is crap".

Thanks again,

David

- zavius - 2008-12-02

david81 Wrote:Thanks for the helpful post.

Regarding your comments...100+ DVDs are already stored in ISO format and I really don't feel like re-ripping them. I could extract each, but that, obviously might take a while. In the future I'll, of course, just rip to a folder, but I have to make do with what I have right now.

I could go over to the Handbrake forum, and probably will, but I thought I'd try here first since Handbrake settings were so nicely provided previously.

And I might consider moving away from Handbrake (which makes my job a lot easier since it can handle the many ISOs I already have) if I was shown a good reason, not just "Handbrake is crap".

Thanks again,

David

David,

For the rest of us here that need to use Handbrake I'd love to see the settings you get from the Handbrake forum. I've been planning on translating them for awhile now but life keeps getting in the way. If/when I get around to it I'll be sure to post my findings

- JPSiemer - 2008-12-02

david81 Wrote:Regarding your comments...100+ DVDs are already stored in ISO format and I really don't feel like re-ripping them. I could extract each, but that, obviously might take a while. In the future I'll, of course, just rip to a folder, but I have to make do with what I have right now.

1. No need to re-rip or extract to a folder. Like I stated in the previous post, just mount the ISO as a virtual CD (with a program such as DAEMON Tools), navigate to the Video_TS folder on the DVD in MeGUI's D2V creator, select the video's first VOB as the Video Input, and make sure you set your output to some other folder (because MeGUI cannot write to optical media). After that follow the Wiki exactly as you normally would and you got yourself a DVD rip, while keeping your ISO intact!

2. The Handbrake forum is full of assholes. Don't go there.

3. Again, Handbrake is crap. It's inferior because it uses inferior plugins, it doesn't allow you to use your own plugins, it's buggy, it doesn't update itself on a daily basis, and it is using an outdated version of the x264 codec, which you have no control over.

And those of you on Mac OSX or Linux and need the settings translated to Handbrake should just do it yourselves. It's quite easy... you look at a MeGUI setting and click the appropriate box in Handbrake -- you do that over and over until you've run out of settings and you have yourself some brand new xBox264 Handbrake settings!

Hope that helps Wink