Kodi Community Forum
Using a VPN- Merging Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=113)
+--- Thread: Using a VPN- Merging Thread (/showthread.php?tid=334556)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

RE: Kodi VPN - chrisjohnson - 2016-11-15

(2016-11-15, 12:41)Dangelus Wrote: Don't you think it would be useful to at least provide SOME information about your setup if you are looking for people to graciously donate some time to help you?

Also have you tried doing a little research? There are several existing threads on this subject.

my question is has anyone setup vpn on kodi tv ? If yes then how?

Yes i am searching on it

RE: Kodi VPN - Dangelus - 2016-11-15

(2016-11-15, 13:14)chrisjohnson Wrote:
(2016-11-15, 12:41)Dangelus Wrote: Don't you think it would be useful to at least provide SOME information about your setup if you are looking for people to graciously donate some time to help you?

Also have you tried doing a little research? There are several existing threads on this subject.

my question is has anyone setup vpn on kodi tv ? If yes then how?

Yes i am searching on it

Has anybody set up VPN?

Yes

How?

Totally depends on your setup which you don't seem to grasp is pretty relevant information. ie What you're running Kodi on, if you want to do it the router level on a PC etc.

Since you seem unwilling to help yourself, good luck.

RE: Kodi VPN - trogggy - 2016-11-15

VPN is one of those things it's hard to find - too few letters in the search string.
Try sticking
Quote:vpn site:forum.kodi.tv
in the google thing.

RE: Kodi VPN - infinity85 - 2016-11-17

(2016-11-15, 13:14)chrisjohnson Wrote: my question is has anyone setup vpn on kodi tv ? If yes then how?

Yes i am searching on it
What Dangelus means when he's asking about your setup is, what kind of Operating System (Windows, Linux, LibreELEC), what kind of Computer (x86/x64, Raspberry Pi, etc) you have and which version of Kodi you are going to use for it Wink

I do have a PureVPN subscription and I am using it on a Raspberri Pi and on an Odroid C2 for geo-unblocking.

Setting it up is quite easy thanks to the VPN Manager for OpenVPN addon from Zamboided.
You just install the Addon, and choose PureVPN as your provider (it's included). You can also choose whether you want it to connect upon boot etc. Actually everything is everything is explained in the link above. If you have problems, I can help you out with it, as I have PureVPN as well.

BUT BE AWARE OF THE FOLLOWING:
Read the posts of following link very carefully, because as soon as you establish a connection to a PureVPN server, you bypass your windows Firewall and your routers Firewall as well as NAT:
http://openelec.tv/forum/69-network/82766-massive-security-issue-certainvpn-providers-on-oe

That means that all your ports on the machine will be exposed to the internet. That means also, that actually your whole LAN will be potentially completely open for anybody who either guesses or knows your PureVPN IP (Or some bad ass employee from PureVPN can make use of it). PureVPN doesn't really give a piece of shit about their users security (albeit claiming the opposite on their website).

If you are using Linux (Or LibreELEC/OpenELEC), then you can add these rules to your iptables, to secure your VPN connection:
Code:
iptables -F
iptables -A INPUT -i tun0 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -i tun0 -j DROP

But start with giving us some information about your setup, so more people can give advices.

RE: Kodi VPN - Harley Ben - 2016-12-14

This is a beginner guide for setting up a VPN on kodi, https://www.bestvpnprovider.com/kodi-vpn/
This will address your issue!

VPN UltraSurf?? - GarDogTV - 2017-01-22

Does Ultrasurf work for Kodi?

If so, is it any good?

What VPN do you recommend?

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - Prof Yaffle - 2017-01-22

No real reason to use a VPN with Kodi. What are you trying to access that makes you concerned?

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - da-anda - 2017-01-22

Kodi itself doesn't do anything that would require a VPN for any security concerns. If you however want to use any of these dodgy piracy add-ons, it's up to you. We don't give any recommendation or help for this crap.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - GarDogTV - 2017-01-22

ok... good to hear that it is safe.

Not looking for anything specific, there were several web posts that recommend it--did not know why.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - da-anda - 2017-01-22

because these people used dodgy piracy add-ons, like many do. If you install a vanilla Kodi from our website and only use add-ons from the official repo, or ones being discussed on this forum, you should be safe. If you use anything else, like ones that bring you the latest movies and tv-shows for "free" (by violating copyright and probably breaking laws -> piracy), then it's an entirely different story. As add-ons are not sandboxed, you better don't use anything dodgy, as they could spy on your data, use your HW for bitcoin mining and what not. Add-ons in our official repo undergo a certain security check while on third party ones you're on your own.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - GarDogTV - 2017-01-24

Thanks...

The web made it sound like it could be dangerous to use. As long as these add-ons are safe... I will play around with them.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - smitchell6879 - 2017-01-24

As long as you get the addons from the official kodi repo you have nothing to worry about.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - speedwell68 - 2017-01-24

(2017-01-24, 00:52)GarDogTV Wrote: Thanks...

The web made it sound like it could be dangerous to use. As long as these add-ons are safe... I will play around with them.

There are other addons from other repositories that are also perfectly safe. However, these are few and far between. Basically if an addon is offering content, for free, that you'd normally expect to pay for then it is dodgy.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - DarrenHill - 2017-01-24

Just apply the same kind of (un)common sense you'd apply if you were offered a deal down the pub or at a car boot sale or indeed anywhere in real life.

If a deal is too good to be true, then it almost certainly is and there's a catch somewhere. In this case it's the legality of the sources involved, and in the end it's the consumer (ie you) who'll get the nasty letters from the ISP etc.

RE: VPN UltraSurf?? - metalkettle - 2017-01-27

Or...Radical i know... maybe they just want to access geo-locked content?