Kodi Community Forum
Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter (/showthread.php?tid=335262)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Eddie Strike - 2018-09-05

Hey,

I just tried the latest Kodi 18 Beta Build , and on my Android Shield TV all videos have this weird micro stutter.

How do I report that to the devs or do they already know?

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Klojum - 2018-09-05

Have you enabled/selected the whitelist resolutions in the Settings/System/Display section?

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Eddie Strike - 2018-09-05

No, I didn't. Is that the cause of the stutter ,  because it wasn't changing to 24p?

How do I add more resolutions, like 720p and SD? It's only showing 1080p and 2160p right now.

Does this break HDR playback? HDR doesn't seem to enable when 2160p is whitelisted.

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Holzfred - 2018-09-05

Hello,

I have the same Problem with Windows. All needed resolutions are on the whitelist. Tried also to Change the render Methode from Software to all other. No Change. Now I am back to Alpha 3

Uwe

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Klojum - 2018-09-05

(2018-09-05, 15:31)Eddie Strike Wrote: No, I didn't. Is that the cause of the stutter ,  because it wasn't changing to 24p?
It's very likely. Are the micro-stutters gone now?

(2018-09-05, 15:31)Eddie Strike Wrote: How do I add more resolutions, like 720p and SD? It's only showing 1080p and 2160p right now.
All auto-detected resolutions should be listed in the whitelist window. From the top of my head, I did see 720p entries in Kodi on my Nvidia Shield.

(2018-09-05, 15:31)Eddie Strike Wrote: Does this break HDR playback? HDR doesn't seem to enable when 2160p is whitelisted.
It should definitely not break HDR. If it does, I guess it's a bug. You can report it with your full debug log (wiki) to https://trac.kodi.tv .

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - jonscaife - 2018-09-09

(2018-09-05, 15:41)Holzfred Wrote: Hello,

I have the same Problem with Windows. All needed resolutions are on the whitelist. Tried also to Change the render Methode from Software to all other. No Change. Now I am back to Alpha 3

Uwe
 I have exactly the same issue.  System is a 6th gen core i5 and a GF 1050Ti so plenty of hardware grunt.  If I play files in MPC-HC or VLC they play smoothly, but in the internal Kodi VideoPlayer there is Micro-stutter.  It happens in liveTV, recorded TV and with blu-ray rips.  It's particularly horrible on panning scenes.  Pressing "o" indicates there are no dropped frames.

Glad I'm not alone as this suggests it's a bug in Kodi 18 beta 1, rather than a misconfiguration by me.

I have tried a lot of settings changes
 - got rid of my advancedsettings.xml
 - tried using full screen windowed and not
 - tried every combination of matching video rate to screen (screen is set to 50Hz and the problem videos are 50fps / 25fps anyway)
 - tried DXVA2 on and off
 - tried changing the render method
 - tried various settings in the nVidia control panel
 - tried changing "theme" back to the default Estuary
 - tried changing the various in-player scaling and deinterlacing settings

Regardless of settings MPC-HC and VLC play smoothly, VideoPlayer does not.  This is all on a totally fresh clean installation of Kodi.

I didn't have the problem with Kodi 17.6

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - botribun - 2018-09-10

Same issue here with Nvidia Shield TV 2017, since Beta 1 micro-stutter unindependent which file is played, so totally random, sometime it happens and sometimes not. Pause / Stop make it go away for little while.

And what is the intention of "whitelist resolutions", why not just whitelist all available resolutions by default?

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - jonscaife - 2018-09-10

(2018-09-10, 08:58)botribun Wrote: Same issue here with Nvidia Shield TV 2017, since Beta 1 micro-stutter unindependent which file is played, so totally random, sometime it happens and sometimes not. Pause / Stop make it go away for little while.

And what is the intention of "whitelist resolutions", why not just whitelist all available resolutions by default?
For me the stutter is 100% consistent - on all videos and always reproducible.  It is barely noticeable on my 32" TV, but on bigger screens it gets more and more obvious.  On the 133" projector screen it is so horrible as to be almost unwatchable.

Alpha 3 does NOT have the same problem.  However, all of the nightlies I have tried DO - even the nightly from 30-July which surely is from before alpha 3?  I was hoping to identify which nightly introduced the problem but as 30-July is the earliest I can find I can't see how I can identify the first build with the issue

I can at least view all the changes between Alpha 3 and Beta 1 on github.  Just a mere 182 commits!

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/compare/18.0a3-Leia...18.0b1-Leia

(2018-09-05, 15:16)Klojum Wrote: Have you enabled/selected the whitelist resolutions in the Settings/System/Display section?
 Using the whitelist settings I am able to fix *some* of my issues.  For example - my rip of planet earth II is at 25p.  Playing it at 50Hz results in horrible juddering, but forcing the display to25Hz made it play smoothly.  Enabling the whitelist and using the setting to change refresh rate on play/stop also made it play smoothly.

Looking at the changes on github I see that "smoothmotion" got added for windows systems.  I find smoothmotion in mad-vr produces a similar horrible judder effect so I suspect what was happening with planet earth was that the 25p file was being played at 50hz using smooth motion - resulting in the judder.

The only problem I have is that some liveTV channels are still suffering from judder.  What I would like to do is turn smooth-motion off.  Surely there must be a setting for this somewhere?

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - fritsch - 2018-09-10

Not really ... but as long as it works for you: fine.

(2018-09-10, 13:12)fritsch Wrote: Not really ... but as long as it works for you: fine.
 LiveTV doesn't work without judder though, so all is not fine.  With alpha3, and prior to smoothmotion, liveTV was judder free.

I play all non-liveTV with external player (benefits of madvr) and none of these were impacted anyway.  So the entire problem remains.  If I could use an external player for liveTV I would, but it doesn't work

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - Nanomani - 2018-09-12

Same issue here with Nvidia Shield TV 2015. Migrating Kodi alpha 2 to beta 1. (beta 2 change nothing or nightly 12/09/2018)
For me too the stutter is 100% consistent on all video.
On new video this not appaer immediatly only after 20~30 minutes. 
But after that stutter appear all 10~20 secondes.
Only way is go back to kodi alpha 2 or alpha 1.

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - jonscaife - 2018-09-13

I have finally found a way to fix this, but it may not work for everyone
I'm lucky because my playback device is a BenQ projector which seems willing to display any refresh rate I throw at it.  This fix will probably only work for you if your display can display 25Hz refresh rate (I guess most can?)
So I enabled the kodi setting to change refresh rate.  I then whitelisted all of the 1080p refreshrates *except 50hz*
I set my windows refresh rate to 60Hz - this is nicest for kodi, AND forces Kodi to switch when playing the problematic 25fps videos

Now when I play liveTV (25Hz progressive or 50Hz interlaced in Europe) my display now switches to 25Hz and the video doesn't show any signs of stutter!

When I enabled 50Hz in the whitelist with some channels kodi would switch to 1080p25 and play nicely, but with other channels it would switch to 1080p50 and generate the horrible micro-stutter.  This is exactly the same as mad-vr does if I enable smoothmotion in madvr - it tries to play 24p movies at 48Hz and generates horrible micro-stutter.

The only problem with this solution (assuming your display supports 25Hz) is that you wont be able to play 1080p50 video files properly with the internal player.  For me personally this is no issue as I use an external player for all videos except liveTV.

I hope this works for other people

For any developers who pass this way - there is clearly some kind of small bug in kodi's framerate detection on some video streams where it is choosing to use 50 instead of 25 - fixing this bug would make my solution unnecessary Smile

RE: Kodi 18 Beta build - videos stutter - xbmcoholic - 2018-09-13

I just updated from a nightly (KodiSetup-20180728-17729f35-master-x64) to Beta 2 on my windows machine and noticed the micro-stutter, rolled back and problem went away.  Found this posting afterwards hoping I wasn't the only one.  I really hope whatever causes this doesn't get wrapped into final release.