Kodi Community Forum
Issues with watched flag - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: PVR & Live TV Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=167)
+---- Forum: Tvheadend (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=168)
+---- Thread: Issues with watched flag (/showthread.php?tid=335592)

Issues with watched flag - oldtvwatcher - 2018-09-16

Last week I upgraded from a previous version of Kodi to Kodi 18 Leia (also upgraded to OS to Ubuntu 18.04) and I am noticing something weird about the watched flag with regard to recordings on the Tvheadend backend.  In the former version, if I watched a PVR recording on my Kodi box it would mark that video as watched, but only for me.  Now what seems to be happening is that if a video is watched on any version of Kodi connected to the backend, the watched flag gets set in all the Kodi clients connected to that backend?  At least that is my guess as to what is happening.  The problem is that there are four separate people using Kodi on this backend and each one would really only like to see the shows marked watched that they've personally watched - if the shows are all considered part of a communal pot where if one person watches the show it's considered to have been watched by everyone, that makes the "watched" flag useless for everyone.

If this was an intentional change then it really only benefits single-user installations where one person may be watching shows on multiple devices.  If not then I don't understand why this behavior changed in Kodi 18.  My immediate question is, is there some way to force Kodi to use the old behavior, where the watched flag only means it was watched on that one device?

(The IDEAL situation would be where you could have "watch groups" where each Kodi install would be tied to a specific group, so that if one user was running Kodi on a desktop, a HTPC, and a tablet they could share watched flags between those devices only without affecting other users in the home.  But that would probably require a change in Tvheadend itself, and in any case it would not solve the problem for those who cannot or do not wish to upgrade Tvheadend.)

Issues with watched flag - ksooo - 2018-09-16

(2018-09-16, 08:11)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: Last week I upgraded from a previous version of Kodi to Kodi 18 Leia (also upgraded to OS to Ubuntu 18.04) and I am noticing something weird about the watched flag with regard to recordings on the Tvheadend backend.  In the former version, if I watched a PVR recording on my Kodi box it would mark that video as watched, but only for me.  Now what seems to be happening is that if a video is watched on any version of Kodi connected to the backend, the watched flag gets set in all the Kodi clients connected to that backend?  At least that is my guess as to what is happening.  The problem is that there are four separate people using Kodi on this backend and each one would really only like to see the shows marked watched that they've personally watched - if the shows are all considered part of a communal pot where if one person watches the show it's considered to have been watched by everyone, that makes the "watched" flag useless for everyone.

If this was an intentional change then it really only benefits single-user installations where one person may be watching shows on multiple devices.  If not then I don't understand why this behavior changed in Kodi 18.  My immediate question is, is there some way to force Kodi to use the old behavior, where the watched flag only means it was watched on that one device?

(The IDEAL situation would be where you could have "watch groups" where each Kodi install would be tied to a specific group, so that if one user was running Kodi on a desktop, a HTPC, and a tablet they could share watched flags between those devices only without affecting other users in the home.  But that would probably require a change in Tvheadend itself, and in any case it would not solve the problem for those who cannot or do not wish to upgrade Tvheadend.)

Go to the tvheadend Kodi pvr add-on's (pvr.hts) settings and check the value of the setting "server based play status".

RE: Issues with watched flag - oldtvwatcher - 2018-09-16

(2018-09-16, 09:57)ksooo Wrote:
(2018-09-16, 08:11)xbmclinuxuser Wrote: Last week I upgraded from a previous version of Kodi to Kodi 18 Leia (also upgraded to OS to Ubuntu 18.04) and I am noticing something weird about the watched flag with regard to recordings on the Tvheadend backend.  In the former version, if I watched a PVR recording on my Kodi box it would mark that video as watched, but only for me.  Now what seems to be happening is that if a video is watched on any version of Kodi connected to the backend, the watched flag gets set in all the Kodi clients connected to that backend?  At least that is my guess as to what is happening.  The problem is that there are four separate people using Kodi on this backend and each one would really only like to see the shows marked watched that they've personally watched - if the shows are all considered part of a communal pot where if one person watches the show it's considered to have been watched by everyone, that makes the "watched" flag useless for everyone.

Go to the tvheadend Kodi pvr add-on's (pvr.hts) settings and check the value of the setting "server based play status". 
Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate that!  That takes care of one of the two issues I've had with "watched" flags in Kodi Leia.  Unfortunately it looks like the other one can't be fixed just by changing a setting, but I really hope it will be addressed soon.

Issues with watched flag - ksooo - 2018-09-16

(2018-09-16, 10:18)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2018-09-16, 09:57)ksooo Wrote:

Thanks a bunch, I really appreciate that!  That takes care of one of the two issues I've had with "watched" flags in Kodi Leia.  Unfortunately it looks like the other one can't be fixed just by changing a setting, but I really hope it will be addressed soon.

tvheadend backend supports different users. Have you tried different tvheadend users for your four persons using the same backend? If that doesn't work you should open a ticket for tvheadend.

RE: Issues with watched flag - oldtvwatcher - 2018-09-16

(2018-09-16, 12:03)ksooo Wrote:
(2018-09-16, 10:18)xbmclinuxuser Wrote:
(2018-09-16, 09:57)ksooo Wrote: Go to the tvheadend Kodi pvr add-on's (pvr.hts) settings and check the value of the setting "server based play status". 

tvheadend backend supports different users. Have you tried different tvheadend users for your four persons using the same backend? If that doesn't work you should open a ticket for tvheadend. 
No, I haven't tried that yet, but the fix you provided was good enough for my needs at the present time.  I'd really rather not mess around too much with Tvheadend since it was rather difficult to get it working in the first place, and I don't want to break it.

Thanks again for your help!