Kodi Community Forum
How Do I Display Pictures? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Picture Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=265)
+--- Thread: How Do I Display Pictures? (/showthread.php?tid=336131)

How Do I Display Pictures? - Sualdam - 2018-10-04

I am a new Kodi user, and I just installed it on both my PC and my Firestick. I have successfully linked the two using UPnP/DLNA - the Kodi desktop shows up on the Kodi app on the Firestick. I was not asked to set up or enter any passwords, so I am assuming the link is actually working.

At the moment, all I want to do is run a picture slideshow. I have loaded the appropriate library on the PC app and all images are shown on the carousel within that. However, when I go to the Pictures tab on the Firestick, I do not see the folder on the PC (called lib6, for what it's worth), but just Video Library and Music library. I have not defined these, so I assume they're part of the Kodi installation. They are apparently empty anyway.

I expected to see "Pictures library" or something similar. Should I?

Could someone point me to a definitive link that explains what I'm missing? I HAVE searched, but the only relevant thread doesn't have an answer woven in with the usual forum-style "banter" anyone who dares to have a problem usually encounters.

At this stage, I am not considering any sort of error, and freely admit without anyone having to point it out to me that I might be doing something wrong, or that I'm an idiot, a buffoon, and so on.

TIA

RE: How Do I Display Pictures? - DaVu - 2018-10-04

You probably don´t share the libraries?

https://kodi.wiki/view/UPnP

RE: How Do I Display Pictures? - Sualdam - 2018-10-04

BTW, it is Kodi 17.6, downloaded today from the Kodi site. The Firestick app has no Kodi add-ons and was installed literally within the three hours prior to this thread.

PC is Windows 10, fully up-to-date.

I am. I had already found that particular Wiki and made sure I was using those settings. In Expert mode, the only disabled tab is "Look for external subtitles".

RE: How Do I Display Pictures? - Klojum - 2018-10-04

Kodi only does UPnP/DLNA for videos and music files which are 'scraped' into the Kodi libraries. Pictures are not scrape-able as there is no Pictures Library. Yet.

Best and easiest thing to do is to create a direct picture source in Kodi to your PC pictures share.
Or install a separate UPnP server on your Windows machine if you want to stick to UPnP.

(2018-10-04, 16:00)Klojum Wrote: Kodi only does UPnP/DLNA for videos and music files which are 'scraped' into the Kodi libraries. Pictures are not scrape-able as there is no Pictures Library. Yet.

Best and easiest thing to do is to create a direct picture source in Kodi to your PC pictures share.
 Now how do I do that? Is there a link that explains it you can direct me to?

RE: How Do I Display Pictures? - DaVu - 2018-10-04

If one thinks twice about it, it becomes more clear Wink

There´s is simply no picture library for Kodi. Only music and video. Therefor there´s no library which could be shared and that´s the reason you don´t see the pictures on the other Kodi client. So UPnP/DLNA won´t work in that way.

See also: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=313059&pid=2575715#pid2575715

edit: Klojum beat me to it Wink

(2018-10-04, 16:02)Sualdam Wrote: Now how do I do that? Is there a link that explains it you can direct me to?
Windows can share files via the Samba (SMB) protocol. You will need to have a Windows user account on your Windows 10 machine that also has a password set.
I'm sure by now there are a trazillion tutorials to be found online on how to make Windows 10 share its files in a meaning full way.

Once you have that Samba share running, you can use the Add network location... option via the Browse button in Kodi to set up the connection to that Windows 10 share.

"I'm sure by now there are a trazillion tutorials to be found online on how to make Windows 10 share its files in a meaning full way."

Yes, indeed. And now I am a little clearer on the limitations of Kodi in this respect - which I wasn't before, since the presence of a pictures tab suggests once you're sharing you can just display them - I can now go and look for those tutorials.

Thank you for your assistance.

(2018-10-04, 16:15)Sualdam Wrote: since the presence of a pictures tab suggests once you're sharing you can just display them
The presence of the Pictures tab suggests that you can view pictures. How those pictures are being made available or shared in that Kodi client, locally via drives or usb sticks for example, or via a LAN/WAN network, is up to the Kodi user. There are more ways to Rome. Smile

In a new installation, there are also tabs for TV, games, movies and tvshows, which are basically stub tabs, as nothing is connected behind those tabs yet. It's up to the Kodi use to make choices whether and how to use them. Not everything is Plug-and-Play.

"Not everything is Plug-and-Play. "

Evidently.

Though, as I say, the presence of a pictures tab implies that a) it is, b) that it should be, and c) that it will be.

But it isn't yet, and so a lot of fiddling around is needed for what is presented in the reviews as "display any media type or source with ease". Which was the reason I installed it.