Kodi Community Forum
2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K (/showthread.php?tid=336151)

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - mattyspurs76 - 2021-09-04

Help please

Just purchased an Amazon fire tv cube last week and I'm having trouble getting kodi to work right.

I cannot connect my phone and use kore or even the fire app to be able toncopy and paste text into kodi.

I'm an experienced user of kodi but this is bugging me.

remote connection server fail to start, then kodi closes down.

I go to services,control and try to turn on allow remote control via http and also allow remote control from applications on other systems.

I've uninstalled kodi numerous times and even tried nightly and even kodi 20. still the same outcome.

I've turns my VPN off incase that was causing the issue. I don't know what else to do.

Thanks

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - DarrenHill - 2021-09-04

Make sure you've also set the correct port up for the remote control vs what is set up in Kodi.

Also of course both the device and the phone must be on the same network, so VPN's and suchlike are a no-no (and by our VPN policy (wiki) we don't support those anyway).

Lastly make sure that any firewalls etc in place are also not blocking port access between the devices.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - simanwin - 2021-09-04

Sorry this has probably been answered loads of times but can I get dd+ with atmos from kodi. Have tried to follow the instructions but my receiver shows an atmos encoded 7.1 file as dd+ dsur.
Can get dd+ atmos from prime app (jack Ryan).
Using kodi leia latest, iec raw.,ac3 encoding
Thanks for any help

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - 618116 - 2021-09-05

(2021-09-04, 22:40)simanwin Wrote: Sorry this has probably been answered loads of times but can I get dd+ with atmos from kodi. Have tried to follow the instructions but my receiver shows an atmos encoded 7.1 file as dd+ dsur.
Thanks for any help
Would you try my settings on previous page? At least I can get DD+ Atmos passthrough with the settings.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - simanwin - 2021-09-05

(2021-09-05, 14:16)618116 Wrote:
(2021-09-04, 22:40)simanwin Wrote: Sorry this has probably been answered loads of times but can I get dd+ with atmos from kodi. Have tried to follow the instructions but my receiver shows an atmos encoded 7.1 file as dd+ dsur.
Thanks for any help
Would you try my settings on previous page? At least I can get DD+ Atmos passthrough with the settings.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Daniel Pascoal - 2021-09-08

Little late on the thread about audio pass through but only recently I've got a 4k Fire Stick.

I'd like to add that I was also frustrated by the fact that pass through doesn't work on the 4k Stick, because I have another non-4k Stick, the 3rd gen HD stick, and on that one the pass-through works perfectly!

After some comparison and testing I believe the main reason for no pass-through on the 4K stick is the fire OS version. The 4k has Fire OS 6 (Android 7), while the HD stick got updated to Fire OS 7 (Android 9). Both stick have pretty much the same hardware, same processor and RAM, so probably Amazon decided to keep the 4k stick on Fire OS 6 due to performance reasons, mainly the low amount of RAM, while the HD stick works just fine with Fire OS 7 (albeit a little slower on the interface). I believe the current version of the 4k stick will never be update to Fire OS 7, or it should have happened by now.

In the end, I'll keep the 4K stick since, like others have mentioned, it works with 7.1 PCM which is fine.

To sum it up:
Fire Stick 4k -> Fire OS 6 -> No Pass Through
Fire Stick HD -> Fire OS 7 -> Pass Through works flawlessly

Ps.: Fire Stick 3rd Gen and the Fire Stick Lite are the same device, the only difference is the remote included.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Tarkus_ - 2021-09-08

I wouldn't be surprised to see a new 4K Stick before the holidays.  It's definitely due for an update.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Kodroid - 2021-09-09

(2021-09-08, 16:13)Daniel Pascoal Wrote: Fire OS 7 -> Pass Through works flawlessly
It's looking more and more likely that we will get a Fire Stick 4K in October. Probably with FireOS8 based on Android 10, since 6 and 7 came out every two years in October. I agree that the 4K Stick will stay on 6 due to the low RAM but that will be enough to let users run it for another 3-4 years.

I just hope the specs on the new Fire Stick 4K really wow us. We need 16gb of space, 3GB ram and an SOC that can do 4K 120fps to support all the 4K120hz TVs that have become the standard this year. Hopefully with AV1 hardware decode to make it futureproof.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Daniel Pascoal - 2021-09-10

(2021-09-09, 08:19)Kodroid Wrote:
(2021-09-08, 16:13)Daniel Pascoal Wrote: Fire OS 7 -> Pass Through works flawlessly
It's looking more and more likely that we will get a Fire Stick 4K in October. Probably with FireOS8 based on Android 10, since 6 and 7 came out every two years in October. I agree that the 4K Stick will stay on 6 due to the low RAM but that will be enough to let users run it for another 3-4 years.

I just hope the specs on the new Fire Stick 4K really wow us. We need 16gb of space, 3GB ram and an SOC that can do 4K 120fps to support all the 4K120hz TVs that have become the standard this year. Hopefully with AV1 hardware decode to make it futureproof.
Bingo!

https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-announces-all-new-fire-tv-stick-4k-max-with-improved-performance-and-wi-fi-6/

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - rizu - 2021-09-10

(2021-09-04, 07:23)618116 Wrote: So I think this is best audio setting for me, at this time.

Fire TV Stick 4k : OS 6.2.8.1
Kodi : 19.1 stable

Fire TV Audio setting : Best Match
Kodi Audio Setting :
Audio Decoder
  Audio output device : AudioTrack(IEC) (recommended)
  Number of channels : 7.1
  Output configuration : Best match
Audio Passthrough
  Allow passthrough : ON
  Passthrough output device : AudioTrack(RAW)
  AC3 and E-AC3 capable receiver : ON

With this setting, Dolby Digital(AC3) and Dolby Digital plus(EAC3, even with Atmos) will passthrough.
Any other codecs, like DTS, DTS-HD, Dolby True HD, AAC, LPCM will be decoded to multichannel LPCM, up to 7.1ch.
I'd love to get the 4k Firestick to work like this but what you wrote there definitely doesn't work on my end. If I put anything but PCM to FireTV's Surround option, receiver will always be stuck to DD / DD+ regardless what I put on Kodi's settings. Also 7.1 doesn't work properly for me, only 5.1 PCM and even that is limited to 48kHz (which is fine).

(2021-06-12, 16:17)Roby77 Wrote: Anyone got a fix to refresh rate issue when connected to AVR > TV with firestick 4k ?

as explained here 
https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/208119/firestick-to-av-receiver-with-framerate-switching.html#answer-container-228285

I'm actually fighting this myself too, not having proper passthrough is one thing but this one is really breaking the experience when running the FireTV through my Yamaha AV receiver. If anyone has a workaround for this I'd love to hear about it as well.

I'm wondering if some edid spoofing adapter would help here, basically force FireTV to always think the end device is connected regardless what the AV receiver does.

I seriously doubt Amazon will fix the refresh rate issue either, "old" 4K stick seems to be quite lost cause now. Here's another thread about the issue:
https://amazon.developer.forums.answerhub.com/questions/212865/automatic-framerate-switching-issue-on-fire-tv.html

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Daniel Pascoal - 2021-09-11

I don't think real pass through is possible with the current version state. What comes out as DD or DD+ is re-encoded by the stick, I came to that conclusion when trying to play a 7.1 DD+ and it came out as 5.1.

After many tests this is the config that worked to get a pure 7.1 PCM stream.

Kodi Audio Setting :
Audio Decoder
  Audio output device : AudioTrack(IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)
  Number of channels : 7.1 or 5.1
  Output configuration : Fixed (this is important to force the PCM stream)
  Limit sampling rate (kHz):  96.0   (this is important to force the PCM stream)
  Send low volume noise: OFF  (this is important to stop the Fire Stick from crashing and rebooting)

The pass through section will disappear with the Fixed configuration above, don't worry, it doesn't work anyway.

After changing anything on the audio settings page always restart Kodi before playing something!

BONUS: 24Hz
I also got 24Hz working on my setup, thou it some time gets laggy and skip frames. (so I mostly don't use it)
Go to Fire TV Display settings and change the resolution to any other option, then when to it shows the confirmation dialog hit CANCEL so it returns to AUTO! That's it!
The option to Match Original Frame Rate should be ON.
This must be done after every reboot.
Only Prime Video and Kodi seams to switch frame rates when playing though.

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - Luke M - 2021-09-11

(2021-09-11, 03:31)Daniel Pascoal Wrote: I don't think real pass through is possible with the current version state. What comes out as DD or DD+ is re-encoded by the stick, I came to that conclusion when trying to play a 7.1 DD+ and it came out as 5.1.

After many tests this is the config that worked to get a pure 7.1 PCM stream.

Kodi Audio Setting :
Audio Decoder
  Audio output device : AudioTrack(IEC), Kodi IEC packer (recommended)
  Number of channels : 7.1 or 5.1
  Output configuration : Fixed (this is important to force the PCM stream)
  Limit sampling rate (kHz):  96.0   (this is important to force the PCM stream)
  Send low volume noise: OFF  (this is important to stop the Fire Stick from crashing and rebooting)

The pass through section will disappear with the Fixed configuration above, don't worry, it doesn't work anyway.

After changing anything on the audio settings page always restart Kodi before playing something!

That's interesting, I never would have thought to try resampling to 96khz.

However, this doesn't work correctly. Although you get "7.1", the sound comes out the wrong speakers. So the best setting is still:
- Fire TV: PCM
- Kodi: 5.1 Fixed (48Khz)

RE: 2018 - Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K - rizu - 2021-09-13

(2021-09-10, 23:50)rizu Wrote:
(2021-06-12, 16:17)Roby77 Wrote: Anyone got a fix to refresh rate issue when connected to AVR > TV with firestick 4k ?

as explained here 
https://forums.developer.amazon.com/questions/208119/firestick-to-av-receiver-with-framerate-switching.html#answer-container-228285

I'm actually fighting this myself too, not having proper passthrough is one thing but this one is really breaking the experience when running the FireTV through my Yamaha AV receiver. If anyone has a workaround for this I'd love to hear about it as well.

I'm wondering if some edid spoofing adapter would help here, basically force FireTV to always think the end device is connected regardless what the AV receiver does.

I actually got some HDMI splitter here that has EDID copy functionality and that actually seemed to do the trick for this one. So far Kodi nor FireTV has lost the projectors supported refresh rates despite having powered off the systems many times now, been solid at least of one day which is progress Big Grin