Kodi Community Forum
Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Important Windows Store v18 update resets my settings (/showthread.php?tid=339891)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - rugbyguy9 - 2019-02-01

(2019-02-01, 02:53)Karellen Wrote: @rugbyguy9

I have merged your post. Read the first post in this thread. I assume you are using the Windows Store version.
 nvidia shield tv

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Admiral_Asshat - 2019-02-01

By some miracle, my 17.X UWP Win 10 installation has not automatically updated via the Windows Store yet. I'd like to avoid this headache if I can.

If I just grab the v18 installer and run it, will it automatically find my libraries and settings? Or do I still have to migrate the folder as per Solution #1?

How will I safely uninstall the app from the App Store once done without also wiping the v18 exe installation?

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - [email protected] - 2019-02-01

This may be the worst update in the history of updates. Kodi 18.0 installed automatically. The new install wiped out all my settings, made local files inaccessible, made UPnP inaccessible, and disabled my Kodi 16.1. What does that leave? I spent years tweaking my Kodi to work, and now it appears to be useless. How do I restore all my settings? How do I access local files? How do I access Kodi running on other network machines? How do I access Kodi 18.0 on this machine, from other machines? How do I access other UPnP devices?  If I uninstall Kodi 18.0, will Kodi 17 be restored to run just as I left it?

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Slavio Parush - 2019-02-01

(2019-01-31, 06:11)Karellen Wrote: Right-click on the icon...

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - justin150 - 2019-02-01

Fortunately I have all my builds backed up and have spent a happy few hours re-installing Kodi 17.6 and the relevant build on 3 laptops, 1 desktop pc, 1 HTPC just the tablet to go but that is Android and not relevant to this thread.

I have got over my annoyed phase.  It is absolutely not the fault of the Kodi team that Windows UWP is incredibly limited and it is absolutely not their fault that yet again Microsoft have decided to destroy network sharing for those whose media libraries are held on a NAS.

However, I do think the Kodi team got the roll out of Kodi 18 wrong and I think it is a good lesson for future roll outs.  What should have happened was that Kodi News should have given 2 weeks notice of the rollout via the windows store, warned everyone that any installations via the windows store were likely to be badly effected by the limitations of UWP and given the briefest of advice to either turn off auto-updates or delete and re-install using the desktop client.  Looking through this forum and reddit it is entirely clear that the majority of the problems with Kodi 18 Windows are linked to the limitations of UWP.

I know the Kodi team is small, all volunteers and therefore it is simply not practical to test a new release against every possible configuration, so it is inevitable something will slip through but here it does look as though one of the more common user set ups (downloaded from windows store on W10 desktop possibly with the movies/tv stored on a NAS) is the problem

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - maker3 - 2019-02-01

(2019-01-30, 02:37)Klojum Wrote:
(2019-01-30, 02:29)flavict Wrote: no Virtual File System category
 Unfortunately I don't see Virtual filesystems on my PC.  It looks like I have SMB support out of the box.
How can I check that I use genuine UWP version?

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - afedchin - 2019-02-01

(2019-02-01, 23:25)maker3 Wrote: How can I check that I use genuine UWP version?

just check exit menu. in UWP version there is Exit option only

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - maker3 - 2019-02-02

I have many options there and this is Kodi 18 for sure (build: GIT20190128)
I installed Kodi published by XBMC Foundation, there is only one Kodi app in the Store.
How could I miss UWP version?

I'm using latest Windows 1809.

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - callmejoe9 - 2019-02-02

thanks for the post.  helped me fix my issue quickly.

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Karellen - 2019-02-02

The first post has been updated.

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - [email protected] - 2019-02-02

Well, I downloaded/installed the 64bit version and copied my Kodi directory. It didn't seem to help at first. I'm not sure all that I did in the interim: I exited Kodi 18.0, started Kodi 17.6, exited & restarted Kodi 18.0, maybe rebooted (?), and everything seems to work. Not all settings were restored and some, but not all, add-ons were there. For example, I had to re-enable UPnP, had to re-install my PVR add-on, but my YouTube add-on, and a couple of others, was there. I also had to re-specify all my libraries. So, everything seems to be working well, perhaps better than before. But I'm still concerned that the next update from the Windows store will wipe everything out again.

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - maker3 - 2019-02-02

(2019-01-28, 07:46)Karellen Wrote: The UWP version of Kodi v18 for PC's has been replaced with the Bridged Version of Kodi v18.
When UWP will return?

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Klojum - 2019-02-02

(2019-02-02, 04:21)[email protected] Wrote: Well, I downloaded/installed the 64bit version and copied my Kodi directory.

It's not recommended to have your email address as your forum username. Email spammers will have a blast sending you stuff.

You can ask for a new username here.

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Paddy O'Doors - 2019-02-02

tried to do what you said, the file extension is not there, been at this for 3 days now, 1st it overrode my v17.6 with all my favorites & addons, then wouldn't play the game, got it working of a fashion Thursday evening, some of Friday then it crashed again, NOW Windows is refusing to let me to anything with it, have tried to unistall it and start from fresh, but to no avail, come on guys, whats the craic, you sweated blood and tears over this !

RE: Windows Store v18 update resets my settings - Paddy O'Doors - 2019-02-02

agree, the worst update, don't need this as pretty much house bound and this is my sad life.