Kodi Community Forum
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel (/showthread.php?tid=340809)

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Newbie_from_NJ - 2019-12-31

wrxtasy Wrote: Upscaling that can be used by Smart TV video streaming Apps without limitations - unlike the Shields 30fps limiit and the other problems encountered with it's AI, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

There’s my answer of what to use going forward. Thanks for confirming.

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - noggin - 2020-01-01

(2019-12-31, 23:05)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
wrxtasy Wrote: Upscaling that can be used by Smart TV video streaming Apps without limitations - unlike the Shields 30fps limiit and the other problems encountered with it's AI, see this https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=332180

I have my N2 - and get occasional vision drop outs over HDMI in 1080p and 2160p output - whether in playback or the GUI. This is using HDMI Premium Certified cables that I also use with other devices and the N2 is the only device that drops out.

I am hoping this isn't related to the reasonably high level of failures that appear reported here, along with the terrible Hardkernel basic warranty. https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/hardkernel-shopping-direct-limited-warranty/6696/85

I bought in Europe from a UK seller so should be covered by UK and EU sales legislation if the worse happens.

Have any users here had hardware failures - particularly of the HDMI output system?

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - stammie - 2020-01-01

@Newbie_from_NJ 
I too have an LG C9 and N2.
I initially had the N2 connected to the TV then used eARC to my amp for sound, I found this worked well except for on UHD remuxes with Atmos or DTS HD MA/X soundtracks where a delay was introduced between picture and sound.
Connecting the N2 directly to my amp cured this problem.
With your current amp this shouldn't be a problem as it doesn't look to be eARC compatible so only DD+ and DTS would be passed through to it.
If you want a solution to get the higher sound formats something like a HD Fury AVR Key would solve this, its an expensive solution but not as expensive as buying a new AVR.

I can't comment on the Shields Netflix and Amazon apps as I don't have a Shield, but the C9's in built apps are excellent, Dolby Vision and HDR on compatible films and shows, Atmos sound where available without the above mentioned problem via eARC, I haven't tried either on the N2 as I prefer UHD where available than the current 1080P limit on the Kodi addons.

An LG C9 and Odroid N2 is a great combo imho, I'm certainly glad I invested in both Smile

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - stammie - 2020-01-01

(2020-01-01, 12:04)noggin Wrote:
wrxtasy Wrote:  

wrxtasy Wrote:  

Have any users here had hardware failures - particularly of the HDMI output system? 
I have two N2's and so far (he says touching a piece of wood) they have been perfect.
I also bought from a UK seller, I don't know if they are different from yours but if it helps both of mine run from the emmc rather than a SD card.

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - southlegend - 2020-01-01

I finally setup my N2 and it’s been pretty straightforward, with the exception of high bitrate TrueHD Atmos rips.

It causes audio dropouts on AV receivers when the bitrate peaks. It was pretty bad on my Zootopia remux and happened in a handful of places during Coco.

I found others with the same issue and it looks like it’s going to be a while before a fix is implemented. The complete crashes of Kodi have been fixed though, so that’s good progress...

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/truehd-with-dolby-atmos-7-1-sound-skipping-11mbps-audio-bit-rate/7569

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - lightsout - 2020-01-01

I have my N2 - and get occasional vision drop outs over HDMI in 1080p and 2160p output - whether in playback or the GUI. This is using HDMI Premium Certified cables that I also use with other devices and the N2 is the only device that drops out.

I am hoping this isn't related to the reasonably high level of failures that appear reported here, along with the terrible Hardkernel basic warranty. https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/hardkernel-shopping-direct-limited-warranty/6696/85

I bought in Europe from a UK seller so should be covered by UK and EU sales legislation if the worse happens.

Mine had been unused but sitting on for a month or so. My daughter was using it to watch a movie and kept yelling at me that it was broken, when I went in the room the sreen would be black, a rebbot
would solve it but eventually it would happen again. I eventually got annoyed and unplugged it and went through the Roku TV os. I haven't turned it on since but with the various reports IO an getting nervous that
something is wrong.

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Boulder - 2020-01-01

(2019-12-31, 22:40)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 19:29)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: Personally I've whitelisted everything expect the 2160p ones, as I want my Sony XF9005 to do all the upscaling.

You'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.

Yes, I also want my TV to handle all the upscaling as I read it does a much better job than Kodi. To make sure I do this correctly, I will highlight everything in Yellow, and will leave the 2160p ones in White, correct? 

Whitelisting was never needed in the first place on any of AMLogic Linux Kodi Forks. It was only introduced to work around the pre 2019 Shield's pathetic hardware picture upscaling.

I've never been a fan of it because of the downstream user confusion and subsequent additional support burdon it introduced for AMLogic Linux Kodi.
To add even further confusion whitelisting various modes highlights an item in Yellow instead of White, try explaining that to a Kodi newbie.

I personally do not (yellow list) Whitelist anything, and CoreELEC Kodi still Auto Refresh and Resolution switches just fine.(i.e. the default setup)

You either need to whitelist virtually everything, or nothing at all. If you do not whitelist 2160p modes then 4K content will be downscaled and output at 1080p.

I've never had issues with 4K resolutions being non-whitelisted. I've set Kodi to use resolution 3840x2160, maybe that's why. I just checked and 4K is output as 4K when it's not whitelisted.

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Newbie_from_NJ - 2020-01-02

(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: You'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.

I currently have CoreELEC Nightly_20191230. The only two options I show under Settings/System/Audio/Audio Passthrough/Passthrough output device: 
  1. ALSA:AML-AUGESOUND,S/PDIF
  2. ALSA:AML-AUGESOUND,HDMI
If I choose option number 1 (S/PDIF), then I lose the options to enable Dobly (AC3, E-AC3), DTS, TrueHD and DTS-HD. So this can't be it. 

Did you happen to mean #3 from this one instead:  Settings/System/Audio/Audio Decoder/Audio output device:
  1. ALSA: Default (AML-AUGESOUND Analog), PCM
  2. ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, PCM
  3. ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI Multi Ch PCM
  4. ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, S/PDIF
  5. ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI
  6. PULSE: Default, Bluetooth Audio (PULSEAUDIO)

P.S. - Happy New Year to you all!

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Newbie_from_NJ - 2020-01-02

I haven't experienced any visual problems yet. But then again, I haven't really tested it fully. I'm a little confused by "Vision drop out"... meaning, the video stops playing and your screen blacks out?

(2020-01-01, 13:07)stammie Wrote: I too have an LG C9 and N2. I initially had the N2 connected to the TV then used eARC to my amp for sound, I found this worked well except for on UHD remuxes with Atmos or DTS HD MA/X soundtracks where a delay was introduced between picture and sound.

Wondering if this would be fixed by enabling "AV Sync Adjustment" on the C9's Sound settings?
I know Kodi also has "Sync playback to display" option in Settings/Player/Videos/Playback.
Thanks for the heads-up. I will try these out if I encounter the same problem.

(2020-01-01, 13:07)stammie Wrote: Connecting the N2 directly to my amp cured this problem.
With your current amp this shouldn't be a problem as it doesn't look to be eARC compatible so only DD+ and DTS would be passed through to it.

My AVR is not HDR compatible, so if I connect the N2 directly to my AVR, instead of the TV, won't I receive playback issues when N2 tries to play HDR content? 

(2020-01-01, 13:07)stammie Wrote: If you want a solution to get the higher sound formats something like a HD Fury AVR Key would solve this, its an expensive solution but not as expensive as buying a new AVR.

Never heard of this, but will look into it. Thanks for the tip!

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Boulder - 2020-01-02

(2020-01-02, 01:18)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: YYou'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.

I currently have CoreELEC Nightly_20191230. The only two options I show under Settings/System/Audio/Audio Passthrough/Passthrough output device: 
If I chose options number 1 (S/PDIF), then I lose the options to enable Dobly (AC3, E-AC3), DTS, TrueHD and DTS-HD. So this can't be it. 

Did you happen to mean #3 from this one instead:  Settings/System/Audio/Audio Decoder/Audio output device:

Yes, that's the one I mean. You get the normal passthrough options and then get proper multichannel LPCM output for formats that cannot be bitstreamed.

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - noggin - 2020-01-02

(2020-01-02, 01:36)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 23:05)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote: There’s my answer of what to use going forward. Thanks for confirming.    

I haven't experienced any visual problems yet. But then again, I haven't really tested it fully. I'm a little confused by "Vision drop out"... meaning, the video stops playing and your screen blacks out? 

Yes - and the TV flashes up it's OSD - which suggests the HDMI stream has been interrupted or changed format (as the OSD and flashing to black are what happens when an HDMI stream changes format or is corrupt)

RE: ODROID N2 - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - noggin - 2020-01-02

(2020-01-01, 13:11)stammie Wrote:

I have two N2's and so far (he says touching a piece of wood) they have been perfect.
I also bought from a UK seller, I don't know if they are different from yours but if it helps both of mine run from the emmc rather than a SD card. 
I'm running from eMMC too.  I get the same results whether I connect directly to my TV or via my AVR, and whether I'm in 1080p or 2160p output mode (so it's not an HDMI 2.1 thing).  Same HDMI Premium Certified cables are fine with other players (Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K, Raspberry Pi 3B+, Raspberry Pi 4B - in 2160p and 1080p, Roku Streaming Stick+ in 1080p and 2160p etc.)

(2020-01-02, 11:59)noggin Wrote:
(2020-01-02, 01:36)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2020-01-01, 12:04)noggin Wrote: I have my N2 - and get occasional vision drop outs over HDMI in 1080p and 2160p output - whether in playback or the GUI. This is using HDMI Premium Certified cables that I also use with other devices and the N2 is the only device that drops out. 

Yes - and the TV flashes up it's OSD - which suggests the HDMI stream has been interrupted or changed format (as the OSD and flashing to black are what happens when an HDMI stream changes format or is corrupt) 

The only two things I have experienced so far:
  1. My TV doesn't show the HDR/Dolby Vision banner (upper-right notification) when I play a file thru N2. But it does when using TV's native apps. I know I won't ever see Dolby Vision cause it's not supported on N2, but I should be seeing HDR, no? I tried pressing "O" on my keyboard to see what it reads, but I can't interpret those results, yet. Have to educate myself more on that feature.
  2. Last night, I played a Dolby TrueHD video file. My AVR played it with no issues and it sounded great! AVR also showed on its display the red, Dolby D+ icon. However, when changing the volume (up or down) the audio drops for a second and then resumes.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Today, I will search the forums for sample files that have no encode issues that have been shared so that I can test even further.

(2020-01-02, 06:44)Boulder Wrote:
(2020-01-02, 01:18)Newbie_from_NJ Wrote:
(2019-12-31, 18:42)Boulder Wrote: YYou'll want to change this one: "Passthrough output device => ALSA: AML-AUGESOUND, HDMI" to the multichannel LPCM option there. If you don't see it, you need to update your CoreELEC to the latest stable build (v9.2.1). This way you'll get proper multichannel output also with FLAC, AAC etc. sources that cannot be bitstreamed.

If I chose options number 1 (S/PDIF), then I lose the options to enable Dobly (AC3, E-AC3), DTS, TrueHD and DTS-HD. So this can't be it. 

Yes, that's the one I mean. You get the normal passthrough options and then get proper multichannel LPCM output for formats that cannot be bitstreamed.  

Thanks for confirming. I made this change on my CoreELEC settings. I also made the change on my original check list post so that another 'newbies' doesn't have to reinvent the wheel in the future.