Kodi Community Forum
Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Linux ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel (/showthread.php?tid=340809)

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - first_dominator - 2021-12-07

Sorry forgot to mention, don't know if it has anything to do, but I do own an LG OLED 77 C1. 

Thanks!

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-07

There's no dolby vision support on the Odroid N2 (well, with Coreelec, anyway) - so you might want to ask elsewhere.  Other than DV, the Odroid N2+ with Coreelec is a rock solid, fabulous 4K/HDR Kodi player...best I've ever used, by far.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - tmihai20 - 2021-12-11

I am using N2 with a NAS just like you want to, @first_dominator and I am more than happy with it. I have just tested a few Dolby Vision samples on my XF9005 TV capable of Dolby Vision and I was able to play them all. I tested the Dolby Vision samples on my HDR 10 only monitor and I was able to play them, as my monitor is not Dolby Vision capable. It looks like the Dolby Vision samples do not have the correct colors, although they are playing. So basically do not use DV video files, but HDR.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - first_dominator - 2021-12-12

Glad to hear that. So if I understand correctly. The N2+ doesn't support Dolby vision (but can still play them), but uses up to the color gamut of HDR on DV videos .Correct?

Also how would you compare this to a Nvidia Shield Pro. Keep in mind I don't Give a s... of streaming content, just interested in local content. My question is in term of scrolling down on a huge library any lag loading the images of covers? I would love to see a video of someone just scrolling a big library.

Thanks!

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-12

You will get massive green/purple shifts playing DV content (but yes, it can send it to the screen as such).  But the colour shift is massive - the point of unwatchable.  All other HDR formats play fine. And at correct frame rates etc. 

If playing local content only, just avoid anything in DV, go for the HDR10+, HDR10, or PQ version instead.   Having played back DV via the TV apps, and the same thing in HDR10+, the difference is negligible....you're really not missing much.  And the N2+ is zippy across the board.

In general my impression of the shield is _way_ more bugs and issues.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - WoGGo - 2021-12-12

I just wanted to confirm before I purchased, that the N2+ (2GB) can properly play Hi10 formatted mkv's?

Would anyone consider the need for the 4GB version for anything in the future, or perhaps a need for retro emulation?

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-12

10 bit files?  No problems....

I went for 4Gb, just in case I want to later re-purpose them for other things when the next wizz bank Kodi box comes along...but I'm pretty sure from the Kodi perspective it makes zero difference.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - WoGGo - 2021-12-12

(2021-12-12, 06:51)bossanova808 Wrote: 10 bit files?  No problems....

I went for 4Gb, just in case I want to later re-purpose them for other things when the next wizz bank Kodi box comes along...but I'm pretty sure from the Kodi perspective it makes zero difference.
I assumed as much, thanks for the confirmation.

Off topic; I've been using OzWeather for years now (although not working with my current build of LibreELEC Generic 9.2.6), so thanks for that too Smile

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-13

@WoGGo No worries - you'll hopefully be able to enjoy it again soon with a shiny new player...

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-13

(note that what I said about DV files going green/purple is for files with _only_ DV - if they have an HDR10 fallback layer, they should play back fine, but I just avoid anything with DV altogether...)

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - tmihai20 - 2021-12-14

I have played 8 bit and 10 bit HDR and non-HDR content without any issues on my N2 with CoreElec. I thought it would do DV well, but it does not. Not a big issue, I can play HDR just fine.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - madmax2 - 2021-12-15

(2021-12-13, 01:43)bossanova808 Wrote: (note that what I said about DV files going green/purple is for files with _only_ DV - if they have an HDR10 fallback layer, they should play back fine, but I just avoid anything with DV altogether...)

is apple tv 4k the only device that can play DV and has no issues with playback of any local files share by SMB?

it is a shame that we can only installed a cripple version of kodi that you need to pay for ie MrMC, else apple TV 4k seems to be a good value for money device (after discount code)
when compared with n2+ (including power supply, emmc) or nvidia shield pro etc..

N2+ also has a very short warranty period 4 weeks and I don't trust they would honor the warranty based on what has been reported on first page of this post 

*** WARNING ***
Just be aware when ordering direct from HK in S.Korea - you only get a pathetic 
4 weeks RMA (click) for a faulty N2.

https://discourse.coreelec.org/t/hardkernel-shopping-direct-limited-warranty/6696

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - Boulder - 2021-12-15

ATV4K has some irritating issues, like true 24p playback (not 23.976 fps) not working properly and audio bitstreaming doesn't work. I'm not even sure if MrMC or Infuse play all DV files. Apple has not made it easy for the devs.

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - bossanova808 - 2021-12-16

Your alternative for N2s is to buy from a local reseller, that will then be bound by the law in your country (e.g. in Australia, the Aus. Consumer Law is very powerful and would not let a reseller limit a product to 4 weeks warranty...)

That being said, I've bought a bunch of these (N2s and N2+) from HK directly.  Never had any issues with the hardware so far.  And they're cheap enough I'm willing to take a reasonable punt and 'self insure here'.   (Compared to the days of buying NUCs, or building HTPCs etc, these things are so cheap and so good it's amazing....)

RE: ODROID N2+ - AMLogic S922X board from Hardkernel - WoGGo - 2021-12-16

(2021-12-16, 05:39)bossanova808 Wrote: Your alternative for N2s is to buy from a local reseller, that will then be bound by the law in your country (e.g. in Australia, the Aus. Consumer Law is very powerful and would not let a reseller limit a product to 4 weeks warranty...)

That being said, I've bought a bunch of these (N2s and N2+) from HK directly.  Never had any issues with the hardware so far.  And they're cheap enough I'm willing to take a reasonable punt and 'self insure here'.   (Compared to the days of buying NUCs, or building HTPCs etc, these things are so cheap and so good it's amazing....)
I figured the same.

I bought directly from HardKernel given that it was $200 vs $300 (AuseParts).

In what time frame did they ship yours; I ordered on the 13th, but have not heard anything...?