Kodi Community Forum
Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Linux (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+---- Thread: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote (/showthread.php?tid=343511)

Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - sdfg - 2019-05-01

With latest Ubuntu 19.04 My HP MCE Remote stopped working, both using ir-keytable or lirc.
The only keys that work are arrow keys and volume keys.
It seems that Unity-X11 is intercepting all keypresses coming from every eventXXX dev, and doesn't recognize keys > 255.
Did anybody find a simple solution rather than remapping all the keys?
Thank you,
sdf

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - sdfg - 2019-05-01

Sorry it's all right.
Made a completely new install and forgot to sudo ir-keytable -c -w /etc/rc_keymaps/rc6_mce
Bye,
sdf

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - birdwatcher - 2019-05-01

I'm glad you got it working but the thing I always wonder about this is whether the implementation is as complete as it was using lirc.  Do all the buttons on your remote work exactly as they should, or do you find that certain buttons either don't work at all, work only sometimes, or deliver double button presses when pushed?

The other problem with ir-keytable is that I have yet to find instructions for using it outside of a program such as Kodi, for example to start Kodi from the Linux desktop, or run some other piece of software or a bash script.  In lirc you could do this using a .lircrc file to define what you want each button to do, but so far I haven't seen any clear instructions for that using ir-keytable.

Ultimately I wound up going back to the older version of lirc that still works, as described in Make LIRC work in Ubuntu 18.04, so that you can use your infrared remote in Kodi but I realize this method has a shelf life (hopefully it will keep working for many months or years though, as it is working quite well for me now).

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - sdfg - 2019-05-02

I'm not an expert, and can't help too much.
I'm using Ubuntu 19.04 (with Unity desktop), and I'm focused basically in making a working config of MCE in Kodi.
ir-keytable basically converts remote keypressess into keyboard strokes, so I think you can surely achieve your goals.
In Ubuntu 19.04 you can add keyboard shortcuts from settings, so it's not difficult at all.
Didn't investingate further, but there are also other possibilities like xmodmap and xkb.
Bye,
sdf

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - sdfg - 2019-05-13

Spoke too soon.
After a reboot remote keypresses are gone (not recognized). Only arrow keys and a few others. Seems that Unity intercepts all keypresses (recognized with ir-keytable -t).
Read other posts, but in Ubuntu 19.04 seems there's no solution (both lirc and ir-keytable). Anyone has problems with Ubuntu 19.04/MCE Remote/Kodi?
Thank you,
sdf

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - Alex.L - 2019-08-17

(2019-05-13, 08:40)sdfg Wrote: Spoke too soon.
After a reboot remote keypresses are gone (not recognized). Only arrow keys and a few others. Seems that Unity intercepts all keypresses (recognized with ir-keytable -t).
Read other posts, but in Ubuntu 19.04 seems there's no solution (both lirc and ir-keytable). Anyone has problems with Ubuntu 19.04/MCE Remote/Kodi?
Thank you,
sdf
Hey sdf, 
Did you ever find a solution for this problem? 
ir_keytable shows everthing is correctly mapped, but Kodi is not picking up all the remote actions. Not via keymap editor either. 
Thanks!

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - sdfg - 2019-08-31

(2019-08-17, 20:07)Alex.L Wrote:
Thank you,
sdf
Hey sdf, 
ir_keytable shows everthing is correctly mapped, but Kodi is not picking up all the remote actions. Not via keymap editor either. 
Thanks! 

Unfortunately no.
It's an ubuntu desktop problem.
All keystrokes are intercepted.
It's a pity that nobody has some documentation on how to disable this awkward (and absurd) default behaviour.
Searched (spent few hours) but found nothing really worth mentioning.
Bye,
sdf

RE: Ubuntu 19.04 and MCE Remote - Alex.L - 2019-08-31

(2019-08-31, 17:01)sdfg Wrote:
(2019-08-17, 20:07)Alex.L Wrote:
Thank you,
sdf
Hey sdf, 
Thanks!  

Unfortunately no.
It's an ubuntu desktop problem.
All keystrokes are intercepted.
It's a pity that nobody has some documentation on how to disable this awkward (and absurd) default behaviour.
Searched (spent few hours) but found nothing really worth mentioning.
Bye,
sdf 
Ok, to bad! Thanks for answering!