Kodi Community Forum
Solved Font Border - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Solved Font Border (/showthread.php?tid=344515)

Pages: 1 2

Font Border - kaz3 - 2019-06-07

I did a little search and saw other people asking for this option for years now so I though it might be there somewhere but I don't know where to find it. if it's not I'd like to re-request it again.

My request: allow user to change font's border width or remove it.

Thank you.

RE: Font Forder - PatK - 2019-06-08

Skin fonts can be found in \addons\skin.you use\fonts and the colours of the fonts are in the same folder called colors and expressed in hex as default.xml  The system font would be located in the root Kodi/media/fonts folder. Keep back-ups. "My request: allow user to change font's border width or remove it." I suspect you are wanting to modify for subtitles?

RE: Font Forder - kaz3 - 2019-06-09

yes. I am trying to change the font border of the subtitles. I added a new font since the font arial is hard to read in my language. However, the black border is big/bold that it's distracting. it would be nice to have an option to change the width of the border just like in Media Player Classic.

RE: Font Forder - PatK - 2019-06-09

Most of the subtitle parameters are set in the guisettings.xml in the userdata folder, but I didn't see a font border call, it may be a duplicate call in the same font black and a few pixels larger. Be sure and make a back-up of this file, if you plan on modifying it.

RE: Font Forder - kaz3 - 2019-06-09

thank you for replying.
I'm a newbie with kodi and the android box in general so..
my problem is the subtitle in kodi have black border around every letter which can be overwhelming in some words (in my language).
what I want is to have the option to remove this black (outline) border to have the subtitle all white or have a small outline.
adding this option in the setting menu under language where you can modify the font and font size would be a great help.

RE: Font Forder - PatK - 2019-06-09

settings>player>language> [expert mode] should be some settings for chr$ set, size, colour, background, opacity, in that should be tools to handle .srt files. I don't recall a subtitle border option, but I do recall this request https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=337741 join the fray.

RE: Font Border - kaz3 - 2019-06-09

that request in that thread is what I'm talking about. it seems that a lot of people is asking for that option. i think it will happen eventually.

RE: Font Border - Klojum - 2019-06-09

(2019-06-09, 23:21)kaz3 Wrote: it seems that a lot of people is asking for that option.

Honestly...? A lot? I'd say there have been 4-5 people at the most that have opened a topic on Kodi's font border in the last approx 7 years in the OpenELEC, LibreELEC and Kodi forums combined.

Personally I think Kodi's font border are just right. Just enough to make a difference in a light background, and not nearly as thick to quickly become annoying.

(2019-06-09, 23:21)kaz3 Wrote: i think it will happen eventually.

Hell freezing over? Meh...
But PR's are always welcome. Smile

RE: Font Border - kaz3 - 2019-06-10

actually there are 6. one is the person who introduced me to kodi Cool

one can only hope Angel

RE: Font Border - PatK - 2019-06-10

(2019-06-10, 00:26)kaz3 Wrote: one can only hope Angel
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=344003&pid=2860157#pid2860157

RE: Font Border - jjd-uk - 2019-06-12

There is a vague plan to remove our home brew subtitle rendering and use libass for text subtitles, so if that ever comes into being then this maybe possible.

RE: Font Border - firewater - 2019-08-17

For what it's worth I'd love for this to be implement someday too.

RE: Font Border - enen92 - 2019-08-18

(2019-06-12, 18:54)jjd-uk Wrote: There is a vague plan to remove our home brew subtitle rendering and use libass for text subtitles, so if that ever comes into being then this maybe possible.

Not vague Smile I just didn't find yet free time to start working on it. But yes, things like this will definitely be possible with minimum effort

RE: Font Border - Pdubbbs - 2020-11-12

I also have been looking for this! Remember that the people that are requesting this on here, are only a small fraction of people who have played with the settings and decided to make a post about it. I have been frustrated for over a year, and only now stumbled upon this by chance. So this would benefit way more than 6 people. Or "7" if I am added to that now. VLC has no borders and it looks sleek and modern, this forced border is pixelated and looks horrible. The only way that it works is when subtitles are below video in the black bar and then the border dissapears.

Make subtitles great again

RE: Font Border - rizu - 2020-11-26

I'd love to get nicer subtitle formatting as well. Right now Kodi subs look really outdated when compared to what other players offer.