Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Windows (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=59)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition (/showthread.php?tid=345566)

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-25

(2019-09-24, 23:49)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 02:23)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 01:51)grandmastashi Wrote: Unfortunately not... they're still washed out. When I was making the changes to the settings you recommended I wondered if colour management needs to be setup in a particular way on my side? Am slightly clutching at straws for anything that I might be doing wrong. 

At this point I think i'm going to go ahead and buy a Nvidia GPU to access the fruits of you labour slightly more easily.  

First, before wasting any money, uninstall the currect kodi you have installed. 
When asked if you grant permission to delete the profile folder say yes. 
Install 2.7 or 2.7a and check it. 
Don't change any kind of settings and don't toggle windows OS. 
Simple, uninstall, delete everything, install and play a HDR movie. 

The 2.6 version doesn't work with Nvidia at all, you can give that one a try.   

So just to update @fandangos I've done everything as detailed above (gone back to 2.6) and the colours remain exactly the same.  

You have a Ryzen cpu and a AMD gpu, correct? 
I think I know what is going on but I don't know how to fix it. I'll have to ask madshi how he does it. 

Disable your Radeon, plug your hdmi cable into your motherboard and test it.
Or go into your bios and disable your iGPU. 

Either way, have just one AMD gpu.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - grandmastashi - 2019-09-25

(2019-09-25, 00:11)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 23:49)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 02:23)fandangos Wrote: First, before wasting any money, uninstall the currect kodi you have installed. 
When asked if you grant permission to delete the profile folder say yes. 
Install 2.7 or 2.7a and check it. 
Don't change any kind of settings and don't toggle windows OS. 
Simple, uninstall, delete everything, install and play a HDR movie. 

The 2.6 version doesn't work with Nvidia at all, you can give that one a try.   

So just to update @fandangos I've done everything as detailed above (gone back to 2.6) and the colours remain exactly the same.   

I think I know what is going on but I don't know how to fix it. I'll have to ask madshi how he does it. 

Correct, but it's not a seperate gpu, it's onboard the motherboard (this motherboard)

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-25

(2019-09-25, 00:32)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:11)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 23:49)grandmastashi Wrote: So just to update @fandangos I've done everything as detailed above (gone back to 2.6) and the colours remain exactly the same.   

Correct, but it's not a seperate gpu, it's onboard the motherboard (this motherboard

I would give this a go, or go into your bios settings and disable iGPU, or phisically remove the Radeon gpu just for test sake. 
This might be the cause, the hdr metadata and the command to enter into HDR mode is going into the wrong gpu.

(2019-09-25, 00:52)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:32)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:11)fandangos Wrote: You have a Ryzen cpu and a AMD gpu, correct? 

Correct, but it's not a seperate gpu, it's onboard the motherboard (this motherboard)  

I would give this a go, or go into your bios settings and disable iGPU, or phisically remove the Radeon gpu just for test sake. 
This might be the cause, the hdr metadata and the command to enter into HDR mode is going into the wrong gpu. 
Thanks again, i'll give this a go this evening and report back.

(2019-09-25, 15:11)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:52)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:32)grandmastashi Wrote: Correct, but it's not a seperate gpu, it's onboard the motherboard (this motherboard)  

This hasn't gone so well. I disabled the iGPU in Bios and when it rebooted I had no picture at all. Am having to Clear the CMOS to try and get a picture back. 

Think i've hit the point where I'm just going buy an Nvidia card now.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-26

(2019-09-25, 23:18)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 15:11)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 00:52)fandangos Wrote: I would give this a go, or go into your bios settings and disable iGPU, or phisically remove the Radeon gpu just for test sake. 
This hasn't gone so well. I disabled the iGPU in Bios and when it rebooted I had no picture at all. Am having to Clear the CMOS to try and get a picture back. 

Don't you have a Radeon gpu as per your log?
Why don't you just plug your HDMI cable into your dedicated gpu?

As far as I understand your setup you have 2 graphics card, one embedded into your Ryzen cpu and this is called a iGPU or integrated gpu.

And a full dedicated Radeon gpu that is plugged into your pci express slot. At least that's what I got from reading your logs.

And I know I'm statying the obvious but if you use the HDMI output from your motherboard you are not using your iGPU or the gpu from your Ryzen cpu. So that would stop working.

To my understanding all you had to do was plug your HDMI cable into your dedicated Radeon video card.
At least that's what I got when I asked you if you have 2 graphic outputs one from the Ryzen cpu and another one from your dedicated gpu and you said that you do.

Disabling iGPU should do nothing to your dedicated Radeon graphics card.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - enlight3d - 2019-09-26

Hello guys, so... I just registered here to say a big thanks to fandangos ! I'm really happy to see someone took the lead in developping what I've been searching for for a looooong time now (funny thing is that this thread gave me also the solution of powerdvd which I didn't know supported HDR too - but as a matter of facts, powerdvd isn't as good as kodi when it comes to sound/image sync when you skip chapters, it drove me crazy).
So yesterday I gave the 2.7 (b I guess) a go and worked one time then the colours went crazy when I loaded another HDR video. So I uninstalled and deleted the profile folder. And now it worked like a charm (I also deactivated HDR on windows' toggle).
If you need help with the dev, I'd be happy to help as I'm also a dev Smile

BTW, I'm using Windows 10 pro (with insider releases) and a GTX 1080 ti.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - enlight3d - 2019-09-26

Oh and at first, I had problem with audio passthrough even if I had my receiver selected with WASAPI and all options ticked. But unticking and ticking the options back made it worked ! I guess it may also be linked to the fact that at first I only did an upgrade from kodi 18.4 to your version instead of a clean install.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - willemd - 2019-09-26

Thank you for making this fork! I am currently using DSplayer v17.6, so an upgrade is welcome.

I'm going to try this next weekend. Running an HTPC with AMD 2400g apu.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - ashlar - 2019-09-26

(2019-09-24, 20:11)fandangos Wrote: I can create an if statement for Intel hardware so it still works just like regular Kodi.
The problem is, again, Kodi is based on free software and not private API's.
It's open source not closed source. It's aimed to work with everything and not having special use cases for special hardware's.

Hi Fandangos. Is there a way to show all the differences between your code and "regular" Kodi Matrix? Also, nothing stops open source software from working with closed APIs, as long as those closed APIs are not needed to be in the package of the open source software. My understanding is that your code simply refers to APIs available to call on machines where the relevant drivers have been installed. Am I mistaken?

Also, regarding your code not being "up to Kodi devs level", I don't have a clue. But I would like some Kodi team input on this situation. Which, at least to me, appears to be significantly different from what Kodi DSPlayer does. First and foremost, DSPlayer basically needs madVR to make sense, and that's not open source and could not be included in the download... Writing this it feels similar to this HDR Edition, but everybody installs GPU drivers on their machines, it's not something you require.
I hope a Kodi team member could chime in.

Edit: looking at your commits in your repository... does this https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc/commit/609cff9f706b152c288a00e85fb6961a5cff9986 mean that you actually include Nvidia closed source code in your build instructions? If that's the case, I can see the problem (unfortunately, I hope to be wrong).

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-26

(2019-09-26, 18:16)ashlar Wrote:
(2019-09-24, 20:11)fandangos Wrote: I can create an if statement for Intel hardware so it still works just like regular Kodi.
It's open source not closed source. It's aimed to work with everything and not having special use cases for special hardware's.

Hi Fandangos. Is there a way to show all the differences between your code and "regular" Kodi Matrix? Also, nothing stops open source software from working with closed APIs, as long as those closed APIs are not needed to be in the package of the open source software. My understanding is that your code simply refers to APIs available to call on machines where the relevant drivers have been installed. Am I mistaken?

Also, regarding your code not being "up to Kodi devs level", I don't have a clue. But I would like some Kodi team input on this situation. Which, at least to me, appears to be significantly different from what Kodi DSPlayer does. First and foremost, DSPlayer basically needs madVR to make sense, and that's not open source and could not be included in the download... Writing this it feels similar to this HDR Edition, but everybody installs GPU drivers on their machines, it's not something you require.

Edit: looking at your commits in your repository... does this https://github.com/fandangos/xbmc/commit/609cff9f706b152c288a00e85fb6961a5cff9986 mean that you actually include Nvidia closed source code in your build instructions? If that's the case, I can see the problem (unfortunately, I hope to be wrong).

You are correct about open and closed source those can be used in conjunction as long as the license agreement allows it.

Madvr uses the exact same libs as I do.

So I have already spoken about the legal situation with Nvidia. I believe I can speak more freely now.

I have already spoken with team kodi about the legal situation of my project and the people inside Team Kodi that needs to fully understand what happened already knows it.

I use open source Nvidia headers, NVapi.h and some others that are part of it (open source) and nvapi64.lib a pre compiled library.
Those are 100% legal to use based on Nvidia license agreement but are subject to change without prior notice.
You can get this files in the Nvidia development portal. It's packed ready for anyone to work with it.

You can search NVapi.h on GitHub there are 10k plus projects that use it and I'm just one.

The same goes for AMD. I use amd ags header file (open source), amd x64 dll for hdr switch.

I was afraid of putting those files up on GitHub but based on the license agreement of both companies I'm entitled to do so.

I know you guys want this to be merged with main Kodi. I understand, but this will not happen.
I intend to keep this updated and I'm not going away soon.
If there's any significant development I'll update my build.

If you guys want to ask something to the Team, ask for libbluray 1.1.2. or at least, find someone to give me directions on how to do so and I'll.
The thing is that I don't know how to properly update libraries so I'm doing the best I can for this build here.

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - willemd - 2019-09-27

(2019-09-26, 02:59)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 23:18)grandmastashi Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 15:11)grandmastashi Wrote: Thanks again, i'll give this a go this evening and report back. 

As far as I understand your setup you have 2 graphics card, one embedded into your Ryzen cpu and this is called a iGPU or integrated gpu.

And a full dedicated Radeon gpu that is plugged into your pci express slot. At least that's what I got from reading your logs.

And I know I'm statying the obvious but if you use the HDMI output from your motherboard you are not using your iGPU or the gpu from your Ryzen cpu. So that would stop working.

To my understanding all you had to do was plug your HDMI cable into your dedicated Radeon video card.
At least that's what I got when I asked you if you have 2 graphic outputs one from the Ryzen cpu and another one from your dedicated gpu and you said that you do.

He does not have a dedicated Radeon card. The 'Radeon Vega 11' that's mentioned in the log, is the integrated GPU from his AMD APU (Ryzen 5 2400g). There is no GPU on the motherboard; the HDMI port on the motherboard is used only by the i-GPU from the APU.

So if he disables i-GPU in the BIOS, then he has no graphics at all. That explains his black monitor after he did exactly that. Wink

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-27

(2019-09-27, 09:47)willemd Wrote:
(2019-09-26, 02:59)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-25, 23:18)grandmastashi Wrote: This hasn't gone so well. I disabled the iGPU in Bios and when it rebooted I had no picture at all. Am having to Clear the CMOS to try and get a picture back. 

He does not have a dedicated Radeon card. The 'Radeon Vega 11' that's mentioned in the log, is the integrated GPU from his AMD APU (Ryzen 5 2400g). There is no GPU on the motherboard; the HDMI port on the motherboard is used only by the i-GPU from the APU.

So if he disables i-GPU in the BIOS, then he has no graphics at all. That explains his black monitor after he did exactly that. Wink

That pretty much explains it but still he seems to be the only one with a Ryzen Integrated gpu that has any kind of problem.
That's the hard part of giving direct end user instructions and I now see why many won't do it.

Still, it's not the end of the world to clear CMOS. I mean, based on his feedback I don't imagine he has some fancy bios configuration that got lost.

Either way, my bad, should have googled what the Radeon 11 is. I'm very unfamiliar with AMD lineup nomenclature and to make things worst there's also the ones inside Ryzen CPUs.

I'm a Intel and Nvidia user myself and besides a K6 cpu 15 years ago I've never used AMD since.
Excuses aside I believe there's someone else here with exactly the same cpu. The logs show that the correct hardware is found and the correct portion of the code is used.
Maybe that particular motherboard has no HDMI 2.0?
Maybe HDMI 18gb/s is disabled in the bios?
Maybe HDMI 18gb/s is disabled in the HDMI port he's using for his PC.

On his particular case, I have absolute no idea what might be causing hdr to not work.

Maybe I should have a rule of 3: if this affects at least 3 people, I'll look into it to avoid this kind of mistaken happening again.

EDIT:

(2019-09-13, 17:43)benq999 Wrote:
(2019-09-13, 16:42)fandangos Wrote: This is finally complete for everyone that has dedicated GPU like AMD and Nvidia with at least hdmi 2.0. 
Enjoy version 2.6

I can confirm that it's working on AMD Ryzen 5 2400g. Great work! Thanks!

Yeap, it's working.

Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - lightsout - 2019-09-27

(2019-09-26, 20:22)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-26, 18:16)ashlar Wrote:

You are correct about open and closed source those can be used in conjunction as long as the license agreement allows it.

So I have already spoken about the legal situation with Nvidia. I believe I can speak more freely now.

I have already spoken with team kodi about the legal situation of my project and the people inside Team Kodi that needs to fully understand what happened already knows it.

I use open source Nvidia headers, NVapi.h and some others that are part of it (open source) and nvapi64.lib a pre compiled library.
Those are 100% legal to use based on Nvidia license agreement but are subject to change without prior notice.
You can get this files in the Nvidia development portal. It's packed ready for anyone to work with it.

You can search NVapi.h on GitHub there are 10k plus projects that use it and I'm just one.

The same goes for AMD. I use amd ags header file (open source), amd x64 dll for hdr switch.

I was afraid of putting those files up on GitHub but based on the license agreement of both companies I'm entitled to do so.

I know you guys want this to be merged with main Kodi. I understand, but this will not happen.

If you guys want to ask something to the Team, ask for libbluray 1.1.2. or at least, find someone to give me directions on how to do so and I'll.
The thing is that I don't know how to properly update libraries so I'm doing the best I can for this build here.

Well that sucks. Does that mean HDR passthrough for Kodi is not happening? Or just not in this form?

RE: Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Edition - fandangos - 2019-09-27

(2019-09-27, 15:53)lightsout Wrote:
(2019-09-26, 20:22)fandangos Wrote:
(2019-09-26, 18:16)ashlar Wrote: Hi Fandangos. Is there a way to show all the differences between your code and "regular" Kodi Matrix? Also, nothing stops open source software from working with closed APIs, as long as those closed APIs are not needed to be in the package of the open source software. My understanding is that your code simply refers to APIs available to call on machines where the relevant drivers have been installed. Am I mistaken?

Well that sucks. Does that mean HDR passthrough for Kodi is not happening? Or just not in this form?

I don't understand your question.

HDR passthrough works for AMD and Nvidia with my build that is just 2 weeks behind the most recently nightly by main Kodi branch.

And as a bonus you get UHD Blu-ray support with libbluray 1.1.2.

So what isn't working? As far as I know it just doesn't work for a single user.