Kodi Community Forum
Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Amber (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=203)
+---- Thread: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist (/showthread.php?tid=346290)

Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - kevine123 - 2019-08-14

Hello,

Firstly, I'm loving this skin.  (Have been using Ace for many years but have now upgraded KODI version and have been searching for a new skin).   It is really fast and let's me customise everything I need.  The only issue I am having is as follows:  

In the Main Menu I have setup an item called "Kids Movies".  This is a playlist that gets movies from a certain subdirectory on my NAS.  (I have one directory for kids movies and one for all other movies).   The only issue with that is the shelf items (such as random movies) shows random movies from my entire movie library.  Is there anyway I can get it to filter out the kids movies.

If this is not possible with the skin, I am also open to suggestions on how I might restructure my library to help achieve what I am trying to achieve.

thankyou

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - bsoriano - 2019-08-14

(2019-08-14, 06:17)kevine123 Wrote: Hello,

Firstly, I'm loving this skin.  (Have been using Ace for many years but have now upgraded KODI version and have been searching for a new skin).   It is really fast and let's me customise everything I need.  The only issue I am having is as follows:  

In the Main Menu I have setup an item called "Kids Movies".  This is a playlist that gets movies from a certain subdirectory on my NAS.  (I have one directory for kids movies and one for all other movies).   The only issue with that is the shelf items (such as random movies) shows random movies from my entire movie library.  Is there anyway I can get it to filter out the kids movies.

If this is not possible with the skin, I am also open to suggestions on how I might restructure my library to help achieve what I am trying to achieve.

thankyou

@kevine123, thank you for your feedback. As far as I know, the best way to accomplish what you want is with library nodes. I will post later this morning detailed instructions on how to do this. You will not have to restructure your library.

Regards,

Bart

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - kevine123 - 2019-08-14

(2019-08-14, 12:31)bsoriano Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 06:17)kevine123 Wrote: Hello,

thankyou

@kevine123, thank you for your feedback. As far as I know, the best way to accomplish what you want is with library nodes. I will post later this morning detailed instructions on how to do this. You will not have to restructure your library.

Regards,

Bart 

ok great.  Not looked at library nodes before so your instructions would be much appreciated..... cheers

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - DarrenHill - 2019-08-14

Video nodes (wiki) is a good place to start.

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - bsoriano - 2019-08-14

Thanks, @DarrenHill ! I was just going to suggest to read the wiki on video nodes.

@kevine123 , in essence, you would do this:

1. Use the Library Node Editor addon, to create a new "Parent Node" in the video library
2. When presented with start with defaults, choose Movies.  This will give you all of the movie nodes (genres, titles, directors, actors, years, countries, etc.)
3. Add a rule to that node where Path "contains" the name of your Kid's movies subfolder.
4. For random movies, you can add a node under the parent node that you created, specifying that content is movies and that order is random.

Now, you can add your parent node as a main menu item (you will find it under video library, it will appear as a folder, just like movies, tv shows, etc.).  You can add any of the nodes that were created for you (genres, years, tags, sets, etc.) as submenu items (you will find them under video library, <the name of your new parent node>, Genres, for example).  Those nodes will be already filtered by only your kids movies.  

You can add any of those nodes as shelves as well.

The only node under the new parent node that does not work well for me (I think it's a limitation of the library node editor addon) is RecentlyAdded.  You can, using the same addon, go into it, delete the path rule that says recently added movies, and specify that content is movies, and that order is date added, descending.  That will work.

Hope all of this was helpful,

Regards,

Bart

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - kevine123 - 2019-08-15

(2019-08-14, 17:43)bsoriano Wrote: Thanks, @DarrenHill ! I was just going to suggest to read the wiki on video nodes.

1. Use the Library Node Editor addon, to create a new "Parent Node" in the video library
2. When presented with start with defaults, choose Movies.  This will give you all of the movie nodes (genres, titles, directors, actors, years, countries, etc.)
3. Add a rule to that node where Path "contains" the name of your Kid's movies subfolder.
4. For random movies, you can add a node under the parent node that you created, specifying that content is movies and that order is random.

Now, you can add your parent node as a main menu item (you will find it under video library, it will appear as a folder, just like movies, tv shows, etc.).  You can add any of the nodes that were created for you (genres, years, tags, sets, etc.) as submenu items (you will find them under video library, <the name of your new parent node>, Genres, for example).  Those nodes will be already filtered by only your kids movies.  

The only node under the new parent node that does not work well for me (I think it's a limitation of the library node editor addon) is RecentlyAdded.  You can, using the same addon, go into it, delete the path rule that says recently added movies, and specify that content is movies, and that order is date added, descending.  That will work.

Regards,

Bart

thanks Guys..... sounds like this will do the trick.   I'll check it out this weekend.  cheers

RE: Random Movies on Shelf when using a playlist - kevine123 - 2019-08-19

(2019-08-15, 06:58)kevine123 Wrote:
(2019-08-14, 17:43)bsoriano Wrote: Thanks, @DarrenHill ! I was just going to suggest to read the wiki on video nodes.

Regards,

Bart

thanks Guys..... sounds like this will do the trick.   I'll check it out this weekend.  cheers 
All up and running.... perfect!   thanks so much.