Kodi Community Forum
Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Information Providers (scrapers) (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=147)
+----- Forum: Movie Scrapers (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=302)
+----- Thread: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library (/showthread.php?tid=347193)

Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-11

Hello everyone, first time poster and brand new to Kodi. I bought a OSMC Vero 4k+ that uses Kodi 18.3.

I want to properly set up all my external drives with the proper naming the first time so I don't have to go back and redo them. I have 4 external drives with about 17tb of moviies.

I’ve read thru several posts and the Kodi wiki on the proper naming of video/files movies.

First question is the proper name to name the parent folder. The Kodi wiki says to name it “Movies 1”, but I’ve read in some posts that it’s been named “All video content”. Does it matter what the name is in order for the scraper to name properly?
Does the library scrape artwork for Movie collections and does it allow for "chronological order?

Example: Movies 1>Blu-Ray>Avengers Collection>Iron man (2008)>Iron man (2008).mkv
-----------------------------4k movies>Matrix collection>Matrix (1999)>Matrix (1999).mkv
-----------------------------Disney movies>The Lion King (1994)>The Lion King (1994).mkv

Will the library generate artwork for the folders “Avengers collection” and “Matrix collection”

Examples:

I would like to keep the “Avengers collection” in chronological order. How should I name or set up folders to do this?

Does the parent “Movie 1” folder and the sub folders “Blu-Ray”, “4k movies” and “Disney movies” need artwork? Do these folders even show up?

I have artwork for Parent and sub folders like these:

Also any recommendations for a good skin that will allow for animated and all around complete customization for artwork.

What scrapers are recommended for the best artwork?

Last question: Is the artwork and metadata collected and stored in the movies folders on the external hard drives or is it kept and stored on the Kodi system?

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2019-09-12

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: First question is the proper name to name the parent folder. The Kodi wiki says to name it “Movies 1”, but I’ve read in some posts that it’s been named “All video content”.
By parent folder I assume you mean Source folder. Read here as I think you missed this in the wiki... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_files#Source_Folder

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Does the library scrape artwork for Movie collections and does it allow for "chronological order?
It scrapes online artwork. Local scanning of movie collection of artwork is due for inclusion of v19. See wiki... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_sets_artwork

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: I would like to keep the “Avengers collection” in chronological order. How should I name or set up folders to do this?
Use the Sort Title... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_sets
Also of interest are options to create Movie Universes... https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Movie_universe

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Does the parent “Movie 1” folder and the sub folders “Blu-Ray”, “4k movies” and “Disney movies” need artwork? Do these folders even show up?
No and only in Files>Videos are they visible. You can set an image for the Source folder... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types#Source_Folder_Icon

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: What scrapers are recommended for the best artwork?
Use the Universal Movie Scraper as it will scrape extended artwork. If you have local artwork, then any scraper will do the same job.

(2019-09-11, 23:30)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Last question: Is the artwork and metadata collected and stored in the movies folders on the external hard drives or is it kept and stored on the Kodi system?
The scrapers only store in Kodi cache and database. Kodi does not write to the filesystem containing the media. If you want local artwork, then read section 1 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-12, 00:52)Karellen Wrote: By parent folder I assume you mean Source folder.

First, thank you for all the info and pointing me to the wikis. Yes, by Parent folder I meant Source folder.
(2019-09-12, 00:52)Karellen Wrote: Use the Sort Title... Movie_sets(wiki)
Also of interest are options to create Movie Universes... HOW-TO:Movie_universe(wiki)

These were the wikis that answered my questions about Movie sets and Chronological order.
(2019-09-12, 00:52)Karellen Wrote: The scrapers only store in Kodi cache and database. Kodi does not write to the filesystem containing the media.

Kodi stores cache and database and does not write anything to filesystem (External Hard drives), so by this you mean all data such as Posters, Fanart, NFO and everything scraped is stored in Kodi?

Can I have all the data stored locally in the folders locally?

And last, being this is my first go around with Kodi and setting up a library, just how forgiving is this library as far as being able to undo or redo mistakes?
Is it something that you can go into and fix just a couple of folders and artwork individually or do you have to completely start over and redo everything?

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-13, 04:02)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Kodi stores cache and database and does not write anything to filesystem (External Hard drives), so by this you mean all data such as Posters, Fanart, NFO and everything scraped is stored in Kodi?
Yes. It is all stored in the Userdata (wiki) folder.
As a matter of normal usage, Kodi does not write to the filesystem, but if you perform an Export Import-Export library (wiki), then yes it will save items to the filesystem which includes Artwork and NFO Files. This comes from the cache for Artwork and the database for NFO Files.

(2019-09-13, 04:02)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Can I have all the data stored locally in the folders locally?
You can certainly use local information. How to do that is explained in the pages I previously linked. But Kodi will still cache artwork and will still read nfo files into the database. If you are hoping that Kodi will only operate out of local file systems, then no that is not possible.

(2019-09-13, 04:02)ROGUE7474 Wrote: And last, being this is my first go around with Kodi and setting up a library, just how forgiving is this library as far as being able to undo or redo mistakes?
Is it something that you can go into and fix just a couple of folders and artwork individually or do you have to completely start over and redo everything?
It is pretty forgiving. Once you set up a Source, you don't really need to fiddle with the Source anymore. Only the movies or TV Shows within the Source need to be dealt with. If you make a mistake with a Movie, then simply delete the movie from the library. (highlight the movie and press Delete on a keyboard or use the Context Menu)

If you end up scraping the wrong movie, then call up the Information Page and select Refresh.

Lots of options in the Context Menus and Information Pages. In case you don't know how to access them... https://kodi.wiki/view/Basic_controls

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-13, 04:12)Karellen Wrote: Kodi will still cache artwork and will still read nfo files into the database. If you are hoping that Kodi will only operate out of local file systems, then no that is not possible.

OK understood. For whatever reason I wanted to use my own artwork i.e. custom poster, fanart or artwork that the scraper just can't find, By placing this local artwork in the movie folder does it override the scarpers potential artwork?

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2019-09-13

(2019-09-13, 04:43)ROGUE7474 Wrote: By placing this local artwork in the movie folder does it override the scarpers potential artwork?
Local is primary. Scrapers are the fallback. Yes, local will always over-ride the scraper.

(2019-09-13, 05:02)Karellen Wrote: Yes, local will always over-ride the scraper.

Thanks for the help and info. I got a lot of reading to do and I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-19

(2019-09-13, 04:12)Karellen Wrote: Once you set up a Source

A few questions about "Source"

I've done a lot of reading but still confused on some aspects of the file structure. First let me tell you what I'm trying to do and if it can be done.

This is the way I would like to set up my files:
1. Source folder "Movies"
2. Sub-folders "4K", "Blu-Ray", "Disney", etc.

The first time I set it up like this, I added the "Movies" folder as my "Source" and after scraping, all the movies showed up in the "Movies" folder on the main screen. If I went to Video>Files>Movies then I would see the others "4K", "Blu-Ray", "Disney", etc. The folder structure was lost by going to "Movies"

How do I keep the structure or can it be done?
Do I have to add each "4K", "Blu-Ray" and "Disney" folders as separate sources?

Then another problem is in the "Blu-Ray" and "4K" folders I have a lot of "Collections" such as "Marvel", "DC", "Star Wars", etc. I would like to keep the collections in their respected movie type folders.

I've read and set up all the collections like the wiki says with "MCU" Playlist identifiers and numbered "010" Sort positions. The wiki suggests setting up "Smart Playlists"
By setting up a "Smart Playlist" say for "Marvel Cinematic Universe", will the movies show in both the new "Playlist" and the source folder too?

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2019-09-19

The file structure you have on your hard disk is used only as a means of importing media into the library. Once the library is populated, the file structure is not relevant to the Kodi library.

So if you are trying to replicate your file structure in your library, then it takes a bit of work and an appropriate skin (not the default skins Estuary or Confluence).

(2019-09-19, 21:54)ROGUE7474 Wrote: The first time I set it up like this, I added the "Movies" folder as my "Source" and after scraping, all the movies showed up in the "Movies" folder on the main screen. If I went to Video>Files>Movies then I would see the others "4K", "Blu-Ray", "Disney", etc. The folder structure was lost by going to "Movies"
Yes this is expected as mentioned above.

(2019-09-19, 21:54)ROGUE7474 Wrote: How do I keep the structure or can it be done?
Do I have to add each "4K", "Blu-Ray" and "Disney" folders as separate sources?
Yes it can be done. Use Custom home items (wiki).

(2019-09-19, 21:54)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Then another problem is in the "Blu-Ray" and "4K" folders I have a lot of "Collections" such as "Marvel", "DC", "Star Wars", etc. I would like to keep the collections in their respected movie type folders.
You can use the Sets node that is available on all skins.

(2019-09-19, 21:54)ROGUE7474 Wrote: By setting up a "Smart Playlist" say for "Marvel Cinematic Universe", will the movies show in both the new "Playlist" and the source folder too?
By default yes it will.

All the separation can be done by either using the existing nodes (such as Sets for movies) creating your own custom nodes or using Smart Playlists (easier).

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-19, 22:24)Karellen Wrote: So if you are trying to replicate your file structure in your library, then it takes a bit of work and an appropriate skin
I'm using Aeon Nox Silvo right now, but I also like Aeon Tajo and Rapier. Would you recommend any of these for what I'm trying to do or do you recommend another?

(2019-09-19, 22:24)Karellen Wrote: Yes it can be done. Use Custom home items
I did read this wiki for the Aeon Nox Silvo skin. Might do this later if i can't get the right results I want.

(2019-09-19, 22:24)Karellen Wrote: using Smart Playlists (easier).
I'll most likely go this route, it does seem easier.

After creating a playlist say for the "Marvel" movies, is there a way to not have the same movies show also in the Source folder, just hide them without deleting them?

Also do you recommend having a source for each "4K", "Blu-Ray", "Disney", etc.

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-20, 03:32)ROGUE7474 Wrote: I'm using Aeon Nox Silvo right now, but I also like Aeon Tajo and Rapier. Would you recommend any of these for what I'm trying to do or do you recommend another?
All three of the skins you mention accommodate Custom home items, so the choice is yours.

(2019-09-20, 03:32)ROGUE7474 Wrote: After creating a playlist say for the "Marvel" movies, is there a way to not have the same movies show also in the Source folder, just hide them without deleting them?
You need to modify the original Movie menu item. Easiest way to do that is to create a Smart Playlist for movies that excludes the items you do not want then add that as the link for the Movie menu item. That is explained in the Custom home items for Aeon Nox:Silvo wiki page. I have done that in AeonNox Silvo, but not tried it in Tajo or Rapier. You might have to ask in their forums for advice.

(2019-09-20, 03:32)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Also do you recommend having a source for each "4K", "Blu-Ray", "Disney", etc.
There is certainly no harm in doing so and it is better than keeping all your movies in one Source.

There is another user also setting up Universes, so you might find some information of interest here for when you get around to setting up yours... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=347379

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - ROGUE7474 - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-20, 03:59)Karellen Wrote: There is another user also setting up Universes, so you might find some information of interest here for when you get around to setting up yours... 347379

Thanks for the info, I'll get back to you if I have anymore questions.

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - SV_Trinity - 2020-02-04

(2019-09-13, 04:12)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-13, 04:02)ROGUE7474 Wrote: Kodi stores cache and database and does not write anything to filesystem (External Hard drives), so by this you mean all data such as Posters, Fanart, NFO and everything scraped is stored in Kodi?
Yes. It is all stored in the Userdata (wiki) folder.
As a matter of normal usage, Kodi does not write to the filesystem, but if you perform an Export Import-Export library (wiki), then yes it will save items to the filesystem which includes Artwork and NFO Files. This comes from the cache for Artwork and the database for NFO Files.

(2019-09-13, 04:02)ROGUE7474 Wrote: And last, being this is my first go around with Kodi and setting up a library, just how forgiving is this library as far as being able to undo or redo mistakes?
It is pretty forgiving. Once you set up a Source, you don't really need to fiddle with the Source anymore. Only the movies or TV Shows within the Source need to be dealt with. If you make a mistake with a Movie, then simply delete the movie from the library. (highlight the movie and press Delete on a keyboard or use the Context Menu)  

THANK YOU "Karellen" for answering "ROGUE7474" 's questions ….  I am a complete KODI (Leia) newb trying to add my Library of 2000+ files.  I have still not tested my 2019 Nvidia Shield to see if it will playback my Bluray and DVD ISO files.  I still have the original discs, but don't have a means for ripping my HD-DVD anymore.

I am glad to learn that KODI does NOT write to the Source folders.  I am using a QNAP NAS that I would prefer to keep "clean" from added poster art and nfo files etc.  (The QNAP folders are set to READ-ONLY).  I was also worried that somehow I might accidentally delete source files from the QNAP and lose them permanently (such as the HD-DVD files) when removing them from the KODI Library.   Is KODI just keeping a virtual pointer like a tombstone in the UserData folder?

I currently have individual folders for each letter of the alphabet.   Similar to "ROGUE7474" … I though I should add each alphabet-lettered folder as a separate Source, but as you've explained, the Kodi Library will ignore these folders and simply amass the entire VIDEO (type) without separation.   Wouldn't this make scrolling through (2000+) titles (I plan to scrape with Universal Movie Scraper) slow and tedious?

Finally, are Scrapers analogous to web searches in that when the scraper queries TMDB or IMDB, it is the same as a browser search?  Do we need to worry about Privacy issues?   I do not stream... only use Kodi for local sources.  

Thank you for sharing your knowledge … all this information is overwhelming.

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - Karellen - 2020-02-04

(2020-02-04, 12:11)SV_Trinity Wrote: I am using a QNAP NAS that I would prefer to keep "clean" from added poster art and nfo files etc.
Don't run the Export function and you should be safe. There are also a couple of addons that can write to the source folders, so just be aware to disable that setting in the addon.

(2020-02-04, 12:11)SV_Trinity Wrote: I was also worried that somehow I might accidentally delete source files from the QNAP and lose them permanently (such as the HD-DVD files) when removing them from the KODI Library.   Is KODI just keeping a virtual pointer like a tombstone in the UserData folder?
If you delete a Source in Kodi, it is only Kodi files that are being modified. Nothing happens to your original files unless you have enabled the Delete Files setting in Kodi, then specifically selected Delete. So don't enable it.

(2020-02-04, 12:11)SV_Trinity Wrote: Wouldn't this make scrolling through (2000+) titles (I plan to scrape with Universal Movie Scraper) slow and tedious?
Yes, but you can create your own Smart playlists (wiki) or Nodes and you can also use the Filter (wiki) options. Also create your own Custom home items (wiki).

(2020-02-04, 12:11)SV_Trinity Wrote: Finally, are Scrapers analogous to web searches in that when the scraper queries TMDB or IMDB, it is the same as a browser search?
It is similar, but scrapers do not perform general web searches. The scrapers are coded to access a single site and search that site. Sites include TheMovieDB, TVDB and TV Maze for video.

(2020-02-04, 12:11)SV_Trinity Wrote: Do we need to worry about Privacy issues?  
No more than needing to worry about using a web browser.

Check out the links in My Signature below as some may be useful to you.

RE: Proper naming of video files/folders for the library - SV_Trinity - 2020-02-05

(2020-02-04, 21:13)Karellen Wrote: Check out the links in My Signature below as some may be useful to you. 

Thank you for so promptly answering my questions.  It helps immensely as I learn how KODI works.

I think I may need to implement the Aeon Nox Silvo Skin to enable Custom Home Items.   Thinking I can have the alphabet scroll left/right …

I understand that KODI is designed to be a 10-foot interface, but I think I will try to maximize the number of Poster Thumbnails per screen (if that option exists).  I view on a 120" (projected) screen, so they would be easy enough to see.