Kodi Community Forum
Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Meta-Data provider and Artwork Packs (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? (/showthread.php?tid=347379)

Pages: 1 2 3

Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-09-19

So I've followed this guide - https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Movie_universe

Used this site - https://www.alltimelines.com/

..and found movies are pretty easy. Sure they take a bit of time to rename the files, but it all works great, with all movies in Chronological order and made these ones so far.

I've used the Nox Silvo skin so far for testing.

For example:

DC Cinematic Universe
----------------------------
DC Cinematic Universe\Aquaman (2018)\DCU350-Aquaman
DC Cinematic Universe\Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice (2016)\DCU200-Batman v Superman Dawn of Justice
DC Cinematic Universe\Justice League (2017)\DCU300-Justice League
DC Cinematic Universe\Man of Steel (2013)\DCU150-Man of Steel.
DC Cinematic Universe\Shazam (2019)\DCU400-Shazam
DC Cinematic Universe\Suicide Squad (2016)\DCU250-Suicide Squad
DC Cinematic Universe\Wonder Woman (2017)\DCU100-Wonder Woman

Then one each for:
Marvel Cinematic Universe
Middle Earth Universe
Star Wars Universe
Wizarding World Universe

Setting each 'Universe Folder' as a separate source from 'Movies.' I then point the skin to an artwork folder (choosing show multiple images') containing background artwork for each movie (That I grabbed from TMDB), so when I highlight the universe in the skin, it randomly shows me movie artwork for movies in that particular universe. Of course, each movie has it's own artwork anyway, so on entering the universe it's as if you're viewing a list of movies normally.. but in this case, in chronological order.

As for TV though.. I'm not sure if there are any good practices to go about it, for example: The Arrowverse.

Now in the guide, it states:"For TV Shows, the standard TV Show > Season > Episode structure is all that is required."

So, would that mean that the TV series folders just stay as they are?
EG:
TV\Arrow\Season 1\Arrow - 1x01 - Pilot.mp4
etc..
TV\Constantine\Season 1\Constantine - 1x01 - Non Est Asylum.mp4
etc..
TV\DC's Legends of Tomorrow\Season 1\DC's Legends of Tomorrow - 1x01 - Pilot (1)
etc..
TV\Supergirl\Season 1\Supergirl - 1x01 - Pilot
etc..
TV\The Flash (2014)\Season 1\ - 1x01 - Pilot.mp4
etc..

Then you just rename each file?

If so.. I said 'just rename each file', I meant to ask, how on earth do we rename..
or is there an easy way to add the affix 'AVU001' to the start of every file in ascending/chronological order?

I used Filebot to rename my rips via TVDB for use with Kodi as we do normally, but I'm not sure there's a similar process to that, that would help get them in chronological order.

I know it can be done manually, which is fine with movies, but when we're talking hundreds of episode files all in different TV/Season folders.. it would likely take weeks unless there's some automation somewhere.

As for mixing Movies with TV, (Looking at you Stargate) I'm guessing we can forget it.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Karellen - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: So, would that mean that the TV series folders just stay as they are?
Yes, it is only the episode filename that is changed. The Smart Playlist you eventually create is based on "Episodes"

(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: EG:
It would then look something like this... TV\Arrow\Season 1\AV001-Arrow - 1x01 - Pilot.mp4 (numbering is an example. I don't know where that episode fits into the chronology as I have never watched it)

(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: I know it can be done manually, which is fine with movies, but when we're talking hundreds of episode files all in different TV/Season folders.. it would likely take weeks unless there's some automation somewhere.
Yes, tv shows and episodes are a tough one because there are just so many episodes. When i renamed Stargate-Origins, SG-1, Atlantis and SG-Universe it took almost an hour.

I use this renaming utility... https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php It has a busy interface, so it looks complicated, but quite easy to use when you ignore all the options you don't need.

If you have local nfo files and episode thumb, be sure to rename those also. So it looks something like this...

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-20, 00:06)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: So, would that mean that the TV series folders just stay as they are?
Yes, it is only the episode filename that is changed. The Smart Playlist you eventually create is based on "Episodes"
(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: EG:
It would then look something like this... TV\Arrow\Season 1\AV001-Arrow - 1x01 - Pilot.mp4 (numbering is an example. I don't know where that episode fits into the chronology as I have never watched it)
(2019-09-19, 23:42)Rippoholic Wrote: I know it can be done manually, which is fine with movies, but when we're talking hundreds of episode files all in different TV/Season folders.. it would likely take weeks unless there's some automation somewhere.
Yes, tv shows and episodes are a tough one because there are just so many episodes. When i renamed Stargate-Origins, SG-1, Atlantis and SG-Universe it took almost an hour.

I use this renaming utility... https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/Main_Intro.php It has a busy interface, so it looks complicated, but quite easy to use when you ignore all the options you don't need.

If you have local nfo files and episode thumb, be sure to rename those also. So it looks something like this...

Oh I see. No, I don't have nfo files or thumbs at all in my seasons, just a folder of files for each season, EG:

TV
- Arrow
--Season 1
----Episode 1
----Episode 2
----Episode 3
----etc
--Season 2
----Episode 1
----Episode 2
----Episode 3
----etc

The standard structure.

I watched Stargate in chronological order too, had to switch between 'in progress' seasons.. I'd not heard of these universe ones till the other day.

The Arrowverse is pretty diverse.. There are 5 different series that eventually you alternate between. Well, one series can be taken out of the equation as you pretty much just watch that in one, then the other 4 alternate.

https://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/?media__type%5B0%5D=117&sort=chronologicalorder&per_page=500

I'd be tempted to go with a 4 number structure:

TV\Arrow\Season 1\AVU0001-Arrow - 1x01 - Pilot.mp4

and onward, since there are 5 series/shows. Legends, The Flash & Supergirl are continuing with 21 seasons and counting between them. There are other DC shows that may be brought into it yet too, so this could get tricky.

Then I'd make a playlist as normal with:
'File Contains AVU'?

Does this mean that the movies could simply be renamed and just remain in the movies folder too?

Looking at the Bulk Rename Utility, I think I see what I'd need to do.. 
Given that list, the first two seasons of Arrow would be adding a prefix of 'AVU0001' and have it in increments of 1....
then alternate between Arrow and Flash for a few episodes
then the two episodes of Arrow
Alternate again
then two episodes of The Flash
then alternate
then two of Arrow again
then constantine
then Supergirl
Arrow
Flash x2
Arrow
Supergirl x2
etc... as the list goes on.

Oh boy.. I think I have a headache Wink

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Karellen - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-20, 00:50)Rippoholic Wrote: The Arrowverse is pretty diverse.. There are 5 different series that eventually you alternate between. Well, one series can be taken out of the equation as you pretty much just watch that in one, then the other 4 alternate.
Sure, 4 digit numbering is a good idea. The 3 letter prefix is also better "AVU". The two letter prefix may become too common and may pick up other episodes. eg use "AV" as in my example and it may pick up Avatar s01e01 if there is ever an Avatar tv Show.

(2019-09-20, 00:50)Rippoholic Wrote: Looking at the Bulk Rename Utility, I think I see what I'd need to do.. 
Given that list, the first two seasons of Arrow would be adding a prefix of 'AVU0001' and have it in increments of 1....
You should also consider future proofing the numbering so there is enough gaps in the numbering between your existing episodes to allow adding new shows as they are produced. When I first planned my Battlestar Galactica Universe, (approx 130 episodes), I used Excel to map out my numbering before actually touching the files. I did the same with Stargate which is 4 shows + 3 movies- approx 300 episodes. Nothing worse than realising half way through that you will run out of numbers, or made a mistake early on.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-09-20

(2019-09-20, 01:40)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-20, 00:50)Rippoholic Wrote: The Arrowverse is pretty diverse.. There are 5 different series that eventually you alternate between. Well, one series can be taken out of the equation as you pretty much just watch that in one, then the other 4 alternate.
Sure, 4 digit numbering is a good idea. The 3 letter prefix is also better "AVU". The two letter prefix may become too common and may pick up other episodes. eg use "AV" as in my example and it may pick up Avatar s01e01 if there is ever an Avatar tv Show.
(2019-09-20, 00:50)Rippoholic Wrote: Looking at the Bulk Rename Utility, I think I see what I'd need to do.. 
You should also consider future proofing the numbering so there is enough gaps in the numbering between your existing episodes to allow adding new shows as they are produced. When I first planned my Battlestar Galactica Universe, (approx 130 episodes), I used Excel to map out my numbering before actually touching the files. I did the same with Stargate which is 4 shows + 3 movies- approx 300 episodes. Nothing worse than realising half way through that you will run out of numbers, or made a mistake early on.
Now that's a good idea. I'll pull all the info from the Timelines site and do the same with a spreadsheet before touching any files.. Although I have backups of my backups, I'll certainly feel more comfortable doing it that way.

I really want all my movies to stay as they are rather than separate them out into 'Universe' folders, so I'll keep the file names as they are and move them back into the movies folder. It cuts down on the amount of 'sources' scanned that way too. I use and nVidia Shield for my setup, as I bought that to replace a pc and it's been great. Not quite as fast as a pc, but good enough and I can still work on it with a keyboard and mouse through the usb slots on the front of my two 8TB drives. The only drawback is having to unplug the drives from the shield each time I buy and rip new stuff, but I'm getting used to that now.

It's a shame the timeline site doesn't have any way of scraping from it, recognising the movies/tv episodes of series and scraping them all to playlists, that would be great!

Battlestar Galactica is a great series Smile That reminds me.. I'm still struggling with the 'Specials' folder, I might need to double check that, have a search and hopefully not need to make another thread on specials.

(2019-09-20, 21:04)Rippoholic Wrote: I really want all my movies to stay as they are rather than separate them out into 'Universe' folders, so I'll keep the file names as they are and move them back into the movies folder.
Sure, there is no problem with that. It is only a suggestion to use a separate source and it does not suit everybody to do so. The information comes from the library database, so it does not really matter which source the movies are in.

(2019-09-20, 21:04)Rippoholic Wrote: I'm still struggling with the 'Specials' folder, I might need to double check that, have a search and hopefully not need to make another thread on specials.
What is the problem with Specials? All specials are numbered S00Exx and you should refer to the scraper site for the correct numbering. Both TVDB and TheMovieDB have specials listed but, annoyingly, their numbering can be different.

I tend not to use specials. I will initially scrape as a Special to download the metadata, but then I move it and slot it into the seasons listing. I do this by exporting the library to Separate files (nfo files), rename the files (eg from S00E12 to S03E13) then scanning back into the library after deleting the original entry. eg Doctor Who has a series of Christmas Specials which which I move into the appropriate season as the final episode of that season.

(2019-09-20, 22:09)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-20, 21:04)Rippoholic Wrote: I really want all my movies to stay as they are rather than separate them out into 'Universe' folders, so I'll keep the file names as they are and move them back into the movies folder.
Sure, there is no problem with that. It is only a suggestion to use a separate source and it does not suit everybody to do so. The information comes from the library database, so it does not really matter which source the movies are in.
(2019-09-20, 21:04)Rippoholic Wrote: I'm still struggling with the 'Specials' folder, I might need to double check that, have a search and hopefully not need to make another thread on specials.
What is the problem with Specials? All specials are numbered S00Exx and you should refer to the scraper site for the correct numbering. Both TVDB and TheMovieDB have specials listed but, annoyingly, their numbering can be different.

I tend not to use specials. I will initially scrape as a Special to download the metadata, but then I move it and slot it into the seasons listing. I do this by exporting the library to Separate files (nfo files), rename the files (eg from S00E12 to S03E13) then scanning back into the library after deleting the original entry. eg Doctor Who has a series of Christmas Specials which which I move into the appropriate season as the final episode of that season. 

Oh brilliant, I'll shove the movie folders back in my main movie folder then Smile

----

The specials were numbered that way for renaming via Filebot, but it renamed them incorrectly, and didn't use the S00Exx.. it actually used the word 'special' instead:
Only Fools and Horses - Special 1 - Christmas Crackers
..instead of:
Only Fools and Horses - 0x01 - Christmas Crackers

Just renamed them as such, the scraped fine and I have a 'Special Season' thumb in the seasons view at the end. They don't need to be watched in any order really for Only Fools and Horses, so it's fine like that.

----

I just had a thought regarding the Arrowverse.. Would it be possible to use some sort of batch file to make a spreadsheet containing just the name, season, episode number of the episodes?
....and then add a column to the spreadsheet, add the prefixes then another batch file to rename the episodes?

I just wondered as I use a couple of batch files that do more simple tasks, like one that I shove into a folder of my ripped movies, and when I double click it, it makes and names folders for each movie the same as the movie title and moves the files into the folders.
I also have one that I just double click and it makes a .txt doc with a list of every file in the folder I've double clicked it in.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Karellen - 2019-09-21

(2019-09-20, 23:36)Rippoholic Wrote: I just had a thought regarding the Arrowverse.. Would it be possible to use some sort of batch file to make a spreadsheet containing just the name, season, episode number of the episodes?
....and then add a column to the spreadsheet, add the prefixes then another batch file to rename the episodes?
I don't see why not, but not something I can assist with.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-09-21

(2019-09-21, 23:10)Karellen Wrote:
(2019-09-20, 23:36)Rippoholic Wrote: I just had a thought regarding the Arrowverse.. Would it be possible to use some sort of batch file to make a spreadsheet containing just the name, season, episode number of the episodes?
I don't see why not, but not something I can assist with. 

No worries, thank you Smile

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - DNKK - 2019-10-01

Sadly the piracy addons have better functionality when it come to this. In searching for working trakt list plugin that I can use to play the arrowverse playlist I found a few piracy streaming addons that had this functionality. Have not found a pure trakt list plugin that just matches items in the playlist with your kodi collection. So that you can have a multiverse playlists.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-10-02

(2019-10-01, 08:11)DNKK Wrote: Sadly the piracy addons have better functionality when it come to this. In searching for working trakt list plugin that I can use to play the arrowverse playlist I found a few piracy streaming addons that had this functionality. Have not found a pure trakt list plugin that just matches items in the playlist with your kodi collection. So that you can have a multiverse playlists.

I always steer well away from piracy addons.. It's certainly a shame there isn't an addon for the timelines site and we need to rename the movies/tv, it'd certainly be a nice addition. 

The Bulk Rename utility is handy to add prefixes easy enough, but it's better/easier, just between two shows that alternate.. when it's 5+ where the episodes alternate for a few episodes then there's suddenly two of show 1, two of show 2.. alternate, 3 of show 1, 2 of show 2, 3 of show three.. it all goes a bit pear shaped so manually renaming, or at least numbering, is required.

As you can see, it get's quite irregular:

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - DNKK - 2019-10-03

(2019-10-02, 20:59)Rippoholic Wrote:
(2019-10-01, 08:11)DNKK Wrote: Sadly the piracy addons have better functionality when it come to this. In searching for working trakt list plugin that I can use to play the arrowverse playlist I found a few piracy streaming addons that had this functionality. Have not found a pure trakt list plugin that just matches items in the playlist with your kodi collection. So that you can have a multiverse playlists.

I always steer well away from piracy addons.. It's certainly a shame there isn't an addon for the timelines site and we need to rename the movies/tv, it'd certainly be a nice addition. 

The Bulk Rename utility is handy to add prefixes easy enough, but it's better/easier, just between two shows that alternate.. when it's 5+ where the episodes alternate for a few episodes then there's suddenly two of show 1, two of show 2.. alternate, 3 of show 1, 2 of show 2, 3 of show three.. it all goes a bit pear shaped so manually renaming, or at least numbering, is required.

As you can see, it get's quite irregular:

Yeah I stay clear of piracy addons as well. But in search for trakt and Kodi playlist sync I came across a few. In the end I did find a way but you need Plex and Plex Kodi connect plugin for it. Trakt syncs the playlist with Plex and then you can use that playlist in Kodi connect plugin. You can have movies episodes all in one the playlist and can hide watched as well. The playlist also gets updated as more episodes and shows are added to the universe.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-10-04

So, Arrow season 1 and 2 are easy as it's just those two seasons to watch first, then it introduces The Flash, which alternates for a few episodes, but then there's 2 of one show, two of another, and so on and so fourth between the 4 main shows.

They alternate a bit, but the problem is having multiple episodes to watch from each show. So for most of the 420 odd remaining episodes between the 4 shows, I think most will need to be renamed manually.
https://www.alltimelines.com/dc-comics-multiverse-chronology/dc-comics-live-action-television/?media__type%5B0%5D=117&sort=chronologicalorder&per_page=500

I have decided to go in multiples of 10 within a 5 figure numbering structure, as if the other shows go on for as many seasons as Arrow, we could break the 4 figure limit of 9999 before all of the shows end. So a 5 figure number going in multiples of 10 will allow for any webisodes, new shows being added, movies tie in's, etc.. 

As it stands, all of the current shows run it up to 4,200 odd, so I don't think 9.999 will be enough, but 99.999 will definitely future proof things. Here are the settings I use for the first two seasons of Arrow.. As Karellen wrote, ignore most the boxes and it's quite simple for the first two seasons (or just the 2 alternating shows such as Stargate), though I'm not sure I'll be able to use it for alternating between all of the 4 main shows yet due to the timeline having multiple episodes together.

So it looks like a spreadsheet and manual renaming will need to be the way to go for me at least, unless anyone else has done it an easier way?

I'd also like to add that the new legal version of TV Tunes switched theme as you switch between episode views Smile
ImageImage

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Karellen - 2019-10-08

@Rippoholic

How is the Arrowverse coming along? All done?

I have made some minor updates to the wiki page with some of your comments in this thread. It is always good receiving feedback as there are "gotchas" that I may have missed when writing the page.

If you would like me to add your listing of Arrowverse to the wiki page once you complete it, let me know.

RE: Movie and TV Universes. Are there any good practices to follow for the Arrowverse? - Rippoholic - 2019-10-09

(2019-10-08, 11:20)Karellen Wrote: @Rippoholic

How is the Arrowverse coming along? All done?

I have made some minor updates to the wiki page with some of your comments in this thread. It is always good receiving feedback as there are "gotchas" that I may have missed when writing the page.

If you would like me to add your listing of Arrowverse to the wiki page once you complete it, let me know.

Just finished renaming. Ended up doing it manually in the end.. quite a task.

I searched for the file type, cut and pasted all 441 episodes into a new folder, added the prefix of 'AVU00000-' to the files, then started renaming. The Universes all seem to work great, and the theme.mp3 plays with the corresponding series episode highlighted. Definitely worth the time and effort. Leaving plenty of wiggle room to fit in tv movies, web series etc..

I just dropped a bat file in that I double click that automatically shove the list into a .txt file before I put all the episodes back into their folders.

Just deciding what skin to use now, I do like Aeon Nox SiLVO, I'm not sure what other skins are good to work with that have that type of customisation. I've used so many over the years with so many different options. My main use system now is an nVidia Shield, very happy with that.

Just in case it comes in handy, feel free to use the list for the Arrowverse:
https://paste.kodi.tv/xitaciresu

Here's some screen shots of the Universes:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage