Kodi Community Forum
Solved Album art with UPnP - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Solved Album art with UPnP (/showthread.php?tid=347637)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Album art with UPnP - User 443344 - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 12:48)sba923 Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 09:52)sitro Wrote:
(2019-09-29, 15:24)sba923 Wrote: Hi,

My Kodi acts as a DNLA/UPnP client (renderer + controller) against my TwonkyServer 8.5.1 DLNA Server.

TwonkyServer does serve thumbnails, based on Folder.jpg files stored in each album's folder -- see Twonky Server FAQ for End-users

I have tested this works using VLC as a DLNA client.

But I don't get any thumbnails for songs / albums in Kodi 18.4 Leia.

Do I miss something? Is this supposed to work? Do I need special settings for this to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

I assume you are using the official Kodi MPD client addon. is not it ?
I never use it but after reading your post I wanted to try it (Version: Twonky Server 8.3-19 and LibreElec ). to compare with the logitechmediaserver and my squeezebox receiver to listen to music.
What is certain on my kodi system is that the covers of the songs, albums ... music are correctly displayed.
So the problem probably should not come from Kodi but from the settings of your Twonky. (look in twonky settings)
What is curious is that my client Kodi is seen by Twonky as an O2 joggler   

No, I'm not using any add-on, I'm using the Kodi built-in UPnP client.

What is this add-on doing that the built-in mechanism isn't supposed to do?

For sure, I wouldn't want a solution that copies the contents of my TwonkyServer to Kodi local storage, 'cos this would at least require some synchronization scheme, would increase the amount of I/O (esp. writes) on the Raspberry Pi's µSD card...

As discussed elsewhere, I have verified that VLC (on Windows and on Android) does get the thumbnails served by TwonkyServer, but something in Kodi causes TwonkyServer to return incorrect thumbnail URIs.  

ok, i made a mistake : I tried with the kodi music player and not the mdp addon.
So I suggest you look inside the settings of the Twonky server, look, especialy  the recognized player,  For me it works fine with albums jackets

RE: Album art with UPnP - sba923 - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 12:59)sitro Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 12:48)sba923 Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 09:52)sitro Wrote: I assume you are using the official Kodi MPD client addon. is not it ?
I never use it but after reading your post I wanted to try it (Version: Twonky Server 8.3-19 and LibreElec ). to compare with the logitechmediaserver and my squeezebox receiver to listen to music.
What is certain on my kodi system is that the covers of the songs, albums ... music are correctly displayed.
So the problem probably should not come from Kodi but from the settings of your Twonky. (look in twonky settings)
What is curious is that my client Kodi is seen by Twonky as an O2 joggler   

No, I'm not using any add-on, I'm using the Kodi built-in UPnP client.

What is this add-on doing that the built-in mechanism isn't supposed to do?

For sure, I wouldn't want a solution that copies the contents of my TwonkyServer to Kodi local storage, 'cos this would at least require some synchronization scheme, would increase the amount of I/O (esp. writes) on the Raspberry Pi's µSD card...

As discussed elsewhere, I have verified that VLC (on Windows and on Android) does get the thumbnails served by TwonkyServer, but something in Kodi causes TwonkyServer to return incorrect thumbnail URIs.      

ok, i made a mistake : I tried with the kodi music player and not the mdp addon.
So I suggest you look inside the settings of the Twonky server, look, especialy  the recognized player,  For me it works fine with albums jackets    

Thanks a zillion for the hint!

Just a couple of questions before I reveal the culprit: what version of TwonkyServer are you running (I'm running 8.5.1)? What "Media Receiver Type" are you using in the Security / Devices part of the configuration?

I have discovered that when Kodi's UPnP/DLNA client (DMR) gets auto-detected by TwonkyServer, it gets configured with "Media Receiver Type" == "Kodi"

This lead me to look at TwonkyServer's configuration files, and one is called.... /usr/local/twonky/resources/devicedb/Kodi.xml and contains:

xml:
<Client>
        <DeviceId>
                <DisplayName>Kodi</DisplayName>
                <HttpRecognition>
                        <HttpText>Kodi</HttpText>
                </HttpRecognition>
                <DeviceDescriptionRecognition>
                        <DescriptionText>Kodi - Media Renderer</DescriptionText>
                </DeviceDescriptionRecognition>
                <MappingUpdatePolicy>FIXPC</MappingUpdatePolicy>
        </DeviceId>
        <Capabilities>
                <Scaling>
                        <Target>JPEG1920x1080</Target>
                </Scaling>

</Capabilities>
        <Adaptations>
                <MimeTranslations>
                        <!-- DMR announces support for LPCM but fails to play it via pull and push -->
                        <MimeTypeSuppress>audio/L16</MimeTypeSuppress>
                </MimeTranslations>
        </Adaptations>
        <DeviceQuirks>
                <!-- Before actually starting playing, the device sometimes first sends
                     initially an error event leading to an abort of the playback. -->
                <Quirk>SUPPRESS_ERROR_EVENT</Quirk>
        </DeviceQuirks>
</Client>

This scaling parameter was exactly what I was seeing in the thumbnail URIs--see earlier on this thread.

I removed the entire <Capabilities> section, and... I now have the much-wanted album art thumbnails!

The same also works by setting "Media Receiver Type" to "Generic Media Receiver", BTW.

End of story.

Now that this works, I'll move on to changing my custom skin so that the album cover is a large square that occupies the large blank space in the middle of the screen... but that's another story!

Thanks again!!!!

Album art with UPnP - black_eagle - 2020-05-11

Thread marked solved.