Kodi Community Forum
Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Raspberry Pi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=166)
+---- Thread: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? (/showthread.php?tid=348055)

Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - tritrek - 2019-10-06

Hi, I'm running Kodi on an RPi2 B and I'm having huge issues with files encoded with HEVC, in other words they are unplayable no matter bitrate they's chopping the picture by 2 seconds. Does anyone have issues with any standard 1080p/i files using an RPi4, maybe I'd even dare to ask about 4K vids? Or is there any widely available HW in a similar price range? All I want is sooth video replay and gigabit net.
Thanks.

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - Klojum - 2019-10-06

The RPi2 was never intended for or capable of doing HEVC videos, but on the RPi3B+ with plenty of tricks it was possible upto a certain level.

The RPi4 is capable of doing HEVC videos, but the development of Kodi and its underlying OS'es (LibreELEC, Raspbian) is still ongoing. The RPi4 is quite a new product, and software has only recently entered the beta stage.

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - tjost - 2019-10-10

from power and such Yes. Pi4 is great.
BUT the Support for it is ,sorry no offence, crap.
Keep that in mind.

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - DarrenHill - 2019-10-14

It's more that it's still very much a work in progress, as the changes between the Pi3b+ to the Pi4 (and in the firmwares and from Raspbian Stretch to Raspbian Buster) are quite sizable. Things are being worked on, but it's not an overnight process.

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - mcelliott - 2019-10-15

Using a Pi4 with the latest LibreElec beta, running Kodi, TVHeadEnd, multiple TV tuners, on 24x7 and it is working pretty much flawlessly. Just connected by HDMI to a 1080p TV.

If that's crap support, I'll take it!

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - johnny_swindle - 2019-11-30

(2019-10-15, 22:55)mcelliott Wrote: Using a Pi4 with the latest LibreElec beta, running Kodi, TVHeadEnd, multiple TV tuners, on 24x7 and it is working pretty much flawlessly. Just connected by HDMI to a 1080p TV.

If that's crap support, I'll take it!

I have a rPi4 but I am using SiliconDust HD Home Run Prime and the Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client.  With the rPi 3, the combo works flawlessly....but the same combo (beta 1 or beta 2) the tv stream is unwatchable due to the lag.  Any thoughts/suggestions?

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - asavah - 2019-11-30

(2019-10-10, 20:11)tjost Wrote: from power and such Yes. Pi4 is great.
BUT the Support for it is ,sorry no offence, crap.
Keep that in mind.
Nope, you have no idea what actual crap support is.
Look at the so called pi clones which are great, on paper, but IRL they offer absolutely no support and provide absolutely broken and outdated kernels, now that _is_ crap support,
I have quite a large collection of "pi-killers" in my drawer, I know what I'm talking about Tongue

While software support for the hardware features present on the pi4 still has a long way to go which is understandable given pretty big architecture differences from earlier boards,
keep in mind that for RPF's pi design goals and support priorities Kodi is just a nice bonus,
pi is not designed and marketed as a mediacenter board, but as a cheap, accesible multipurpose SBC with focus on _education_.

Having said that I would also like to note that RPF/RPT engineers are very skilled and professional, all proper bug reports (which report real bugs) get analyzed and fixed very quickly.
Yep, if you know the right places (pi forums and github) you can get in touch with real people who design the pi and write software for it.
Try getting in touch with real engineers (specially trained support monkeys don't count as real engineers  Wink ) from intel, amd, nvidia, qualcom, amlogic, realtek, asus, gigabyte, msi and so on ...

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - Rickt1962 - 2019-11-30

(2019-10-06, 12:05)tritrek Wrote: Hi, I'm running Kodi on an RPi2 B and I'm having huge issues with files encoded with HEVC, in other words they are unplayable no matter bitrate they's chopping the picture by 2 seconds. Does anyone have issues with any standard 1080p/i files using an RPi4, maybe I'd even dare to ask about 4K vids? Or is there any widely available HW in a similar price range? All I want is sooth video replay and gigabit net.
Thanks.

Better off going with Vero+

RE: Worth upgrading to RPi4 from RPi2? - Klojum - 2019-12-01

(2019-11-30, 23:16)Rickt1962 Wrote: Better off going with Vero+

Your arguments are quite compelling.