Kodi Community Forum
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature (/showthread.php?tid=349695)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - antisuck - 2020-01-20

EDIT: reading comprehension, this works just fine on sets of 2 discs.  I just needed to learn how tags work in DSF files.

ORIGINAL POST:

Relative to my post just above, any chance that setting MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE to "boxset" could force the change even with sets of only 2 discs?

I do understand that my use case may be decidedly nonstandard, but at the same time I see no reason to limit the options of adventurous types who go purposely adjusting tags toward a particular goal.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-01-20

(2020-01-20, 03:38)antisuck Wrote: Relative to my post just above, any chance that setting MUSICBRAINSALBUMRELEASETYPE to "boxset" could force the change even with sets of only 2 discs?

I do understand that my use case may be decidedly nonstandard, but at the same time I see no reason to limit the options of adventurous types who go purposely adjusting tags toward a particular goal.

It should do just that.  If the tag contains Boxset then the normal 'rules' of Must be 3 or more discs & must not be a compilation are ignored and the album/set is marked as a boxset anyway. I tested it extensively by making twin compilation CD's into boxsets. Just be aware that the actual tag name differs between ID3v2/OGG/m4a etc. This isn't a problem if your tagger maps tags across different types correctly, but if it doesn't work for some reason, that's going to most likely be the reason.

Seems you're making good use of the feature even if it is in a way I hadn't considered! Great to see that Big Grin

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - antisuck - 2020-01-20

(2020-01-20, 09:21)black_eagle Wrote: It should do just that.
My mistake, I should have read the thread more carefully.

I bet it has to do with tag mapping in .dsf files vs. flac. Mp3tag wants to hide the actual tag names in favor of mapping tags with the same function to more readable aliases and translating them for different files.

Will investigate tomorrow. Thanks for the reply.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-01-20

(2020-01-20, 09:41)antisuck Wrote: I bet it has to do with tag mapping in .dsf files vs. flac. Mp3tag wants to hide the actual tag names in favor of mapping tags with the same function to more readable aliases and translating them for different files.

Very possibly then.  In the wiki -> https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_tagging#Technical_Explanation:_File_tags  if you scroll down to section 9.4 there is a table showing the various tag names for the various formats.  For FLAC (ogg) it's RELEASETYPE, for mp3 its MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE etc.  No idea what tags are in .dsf files.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - docwra - 2020-01-20

Yey a 'normal user' found the feature Big Grin

Is there a wiki article up for this new feature yet?

On the remote chance that anyone is following along and didn't already know, DSF files use a variant of id3 tags.

RELEASETYPE   ->  MUSICBRAINZ ALBUM TYPE
SUBTITLE  -> TSST

Success, and all done hijacking.

And I'm all done retagging albums by artists who being with the letter A.  Go me!  Tongue

(2020-01-20, 11:59)docwra Wrote: Is there a wiki article up for this new feature yet?

Not that I know of.
(2020-01-20, 12:44)antisuck Wrote: Success, and all done hijacking.

Glad you've got it sorted and you weren't hijacking.  All was completely relevant to the thread.  If you mean hijacking the boxset feature to do something slightly different then I think it's an excellent example of a smart bit of lateral thinking Big Grin

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - HeresJohnny - 2020-02-16

Much like antisuck I am trying to "subvert" to boxset feature for my multichannel and other various collections. I've tried almost everything I could think of and ran into some snags. Basically, it looks like the boxset feature is "too" failsafe... maybe you could loosen some checks? Here's what I tried to achieve in one very special use case:

I have a 14-SACD boxset of the complete Ring of the Nibelungen by Solti. I've converted them to taggable DSF-files and tagged them correctly (I hope) with MBIDs. As the classically minded amongst you know, the Ring cycle consists of 4 parts which in turn are split over various media. I tried to group them together without splitting the 4 parts into many separate discs and tried to retain some basic info about how many discs originally existed in the set.

1. So for the files my first attempt was to conserve the disc numbering while tyring to "cluster" them via disc subtitles. For example, disc 1 and 2 both got the subtitle "Das Rheingold". That didn't work. I assume there's a failcheck somewhere that prevents the creation of boxsets when several discs have the same subtitle.

2. For my second attempt I tried to cluster them in a different way. I left the value for total discs intact but clustered discs of the same ring parts together. For example I put all tracks of the Rheingold together as disc 1/14, then The Valkyrie as 3/14 etc. That left me with 4 (virtual) discs and some gaps in the disc numbering. That didn't work either, no boxset was created. I'm assuming there's another fail check that prevents the creation of boxsets with gaps.

3. From my experience it will work if I discard the original disc info completely and convert the tracks into 4 discs 1/4 - 4/4 with each of them having their own subtitle. I wonder, though, if you would let me work through some cracks as presented above or if that carries some danger that I'm not aware of.

Any thoughts?

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-02-16

(2020-02-16, 05:51)HeresJohnny Wrote: 1. So for the files my first attempt was to conserve the disc numbering while tyring to "cluster" them via disc subtitles. For example, disc 1 and 2 both got the subtitle "Das Rheingold". That didn't work. I assume there's a failcheck somewhere that prevents the creation of boxsets when several discs have the same subtitle.

That should work.  My 18 CD set of Pink Floyd, A Tree Full of Secrets is clustered by disctitle rather than number (two CD's in one volume) and I specifically wanted that option in.  The relevant code is https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master/xbmc/music/MusicDatabase.cpp#L4838-L4856 so that should have worked.  Do you have a musicbrainz link and I'll create some dummy files with the tags in and do some testing.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - DaveBlake - 2020-02-16

From previous experience the most likely issue is that Ring of the Nibelungen has not been tagged in the way @HeresJohnny intended. He often uses other tools rather than Picard and that has caused all kinds of difficulties in the past. Maybe not the case in this instance but a resaonable place to start investigation.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - HeresJohnny - 2020-02-17

Oh dear, management has me pegged as a potential time-waster :-)
Well, I did some exhaustive test to avoid furhter embarrasment. I even downloaded Picard and tagged my .dsf files with it rather than with foobar2000. Both let me chose if I want id2v3 or id2v4 tags and will write those. In the end, it didn't matter. I checked against my database and Kodi v19 doesn't import any MBIDs no matter what I do. Weird, and at this point I have to pass the ball to you as I am at my wit's end.

I'll send both of you @black_eagle and @DaveBlake a link to a file to play with.

I would ask @antisuck to chime in as he seems to have successfully tagged his .dsf files.

Here's an example screenshot of the tags I've used:

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-02-17

I'm guessing from that screenshot that the tags enclosed in <> are custom tags ?  In fact, looking in the file you kindly supplied, I can see TXXX....DISCSUBTITLE...Die Walküre(1965) so yes, that's a custom tag as evidenced by the TXXX bit.
For ID3v2.3 tags which is what you have tagged it with, the correct frame name is TSST, not TXXX.  So yeah, Kodi won't see the disc subtitle because it looks in the TSST frame for it, not in a TXXX frame (which are user specified and can contain any text).
Here is a list of frame names that Foobar2000 understands. Note that although it supports TSST for id3v2.3, it is not part of the standard and is really a v2.4 tag and that causes another issue!

Because this is a .dsf file, Kodi reads it with FFmpeg's tag reader.  FFmpeg understands TSST, but only for ID3v2.4 tags so it will just ignore it for v2.3 tags, and it doesn't read any TXXX frames.  This is why you don't see the MBID's in Kodi.  The tags it understands are here https://github.com/xbmc/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavformat/id3v2.c#L87  The first group are common to both tag versions, followed by the v2.4 only frames, followed by the v2.3 only frames.

Upshot - FFmpeg has limited support for id3 tags and even if the disc subtitle had been in the correct frame, FFmpeg still wouldn't read it because it's not part of the v2.3 standard.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - DaveBlake - 2020-02-17

So a tagging issue Laugh
Well OK, combined with the limitations of .dsf file format and the tag reading of FFmpeg

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - jjd-uk - 2020-02-17

Tag support for DSF is added to Taglib https://github.com/taglib/taglib/blob/master/NEWS#L3

But only in master it seems, so not in a tagged release thus I guess we cannot update until that is done.

[edit] Actually it seems they may have removed it from master for now https://github.com/taglib/taglib/commit/074f30e3faf98f0383ae2951f5f1d76ae54a4cf8 into a feature branch https://github.com/taglib/taglib/tree/add_dsf_and_dsdiff_file_formats

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - HeresJohnny - 2020-02-17

Thanks for looking into this. It looks like various tagging software is not 100% compliant and manually tagging MBIDs is a horribly complicated enterprise. What I learn from your analysis for practical application is
  • DSF files can be tagged with either id3v2.3 or id3v2.4. Previously I was under the impression that only id3v2.3 was universally compliant.
  • Id2v4 tags have more tag definitions and should be preferred.

How the hell did @antisuck manage to get his boxset feature automatically applied? I guess I could manipulate the SQL database directly and edit those features in. The Wagner is the only release where this applies, I have everything else as FLAC.