Kodi Community Forum
Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature (/showthread.php?tid=349695)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - ntropy - 2020-08-09

Version 18 is the first version I have setup MySQL (mariadb) allowing 1 Windows PC , 1 Mac laptop and 1 Android Shield device to use the same database.  If I install 19 alpha on Windows to use the cover1, cover2 feature in the same album folder for box sets, how will this affect the MySQL used by all three devices?    Windows is currently running 18.5.  Is there a later version of 18 that has the cover1, cover2 feature?

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-09

(2020-08-09, 16:55)ntropy Wrote: If I install 19 alpha on Windows to use the cover1, cover2 feature in the same album folder for box sets, how will this affect the MySQL used by all three devices?

19 alpha will upgrade the v18 database to v19.  Your other clients will continue to use the v18 version db unless you also update them to v19.  Only your Windows install will use the v19 db version and have access to the extra features it provides.
(2020-08-09, 16:55)ntropy Wrote: Windows is currently running 18.5.  Is there a later version of 18 that has the cover1, cover2 feature?

No sorry.  This is a new feature and as such was not back-ported to v18.x

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - ntropy - 2020-08-09

(2020-08-09, 18:02)black_eagle Wrote:
(2020-08-09, 16:55)ntropy Wrote: If I install 19 alpha on Windows to use the cover1, cover2 feature in the same album folder for box sets, how will this affect the MySQL used by all three devices?

19 alpha will upgrade the v18 database to v19.  Your other clients will continue to use the v18 version db unless you also update them to v19.  Only your Windows install will use the v19 db version and have access to the extra features it provides.
(2020-08-09, 16:55)ntropy Wrote: Windows is currently running 18.5.  Is there a later version of 18 that has the cover1, cover2 feature?

No sorry.  This is a new feature and as such was not back-ported to v18.x

Yeah I just tried "Cover2.jpg" in a separate Disc 2 folder and v18.5 scan applied the Cover1.jpg from Disc 1 folder to both Disc 1 and Disc 2.  So there's no way to prepare my v18 library for v19 using the separate folder method that cheats v18 into applying different cover art per disc along with the file naming that v19 will recognize.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-09

(2020-08-09, 21:36)ntropy Wrote: So there's no way to prepare my v18 library for v19 using the separate folder method that cheats v18 into applying different cover art per disc along with the file naming that v19 will recognize.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean there?  The handling of music art is still undergoing changes and further improvements are in the pipeline which will render my previous guide obsolete anyway.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - dt2510 - 2020-08-26

I have a problem tagging some mp3 files. The Files are part of CD + USB Stick set and i tagged them as disc 1&2. The CD files (FLAC) have FLAC tags with DISCSUBTITLE "Album" - the USB Stick files (mp3) have ID3v2 tags with DISCSUBTITLE and SETSUBTITLE "USB Stick". Kodi 19 alpha display the 2 "discs" as "Album" (correct) and "Disc 2" (should be "USB Stick"). Is this a problem/bug in Kodi or do i have to use a different tag ?

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-26

The ID3v2 tag is TSST. Depending on what you are tagging with, your software may give it a different name but that is the tag field that Kodi will be looking for in an mp3 file.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - dt2510 - 2020-08-26

(2020-08-26, 14:38)black_eagle Wrote: The ID3v2 tag is TSST. Depending on what you are tagging with, your software may give it a different name but that is the tag field that Kodi will be looking for in an mp3 file.

doesn't work here ... here a screenshot of the file's tags (i'm using dbpoweramp here to have direct access to the tag names)

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-26

Certainly looks from that screenshot to be the correct tag set, although the fact that the GUI says 'Disc 2' suggests that the tag isn't getting read for some reason.  Any chance you can get a Debug Log of you scanning that album?  If you move the album out of the source that you have added in Kodi and then run a 'clean library', then that should remove it from the db.  Then enable debugging and add the album you just moved.  The resultant log may or may not provide a clue, but it's a good point to start from.

(2020-08-26, 16:19)black_eagle Wrote: Certainly looks from that screenshot to be the correct tag set, although the fact that the GUI says 'Disc 2' suggests that the tag isn't getting read for some reason.  Any chance you can get a Debug Log of you scanning that album?  If you move the album out of the source that you have added in Kodi and then run a 'clean library', then that should remove it from the db.  Then enable debugging and add the album you just moved.  The resultant log may or may not provide a clue, but it's a good point to start from.

here's an excerpt of the log file

Code:
2020-08-26 17:26:57.203 T:10224   DEBUG <general>: unrecognized user text tag detected: TXXX:TSST
2020-08-26 17:26:57.203 T:10224   DEBUG <general>: unrecognized user text tag detected: TXXX:CATALOG #
2020-08-26 17:26:57.203 T:10224   DEBUG <general>: unrecognized user text tag detected: TXXX:COUNTRY
2020-08-26 17:26:57.203 T:10224   DEBUG <general>: unrecognized user text tag detected: TXXX:UPC

OK, so what your tag editing software has done there is create a TXXX tag which is a user defined text field.  Within that, there is a description field and then a value(s) field. Your software appears to have given it the description TSST and then there will be an associated value with that, which will be the disc title.

If you look at the screenshot below from mediainfo, you can see all the MusicBrainz tags which are all held in TXXX type fields.  Also in the screenshot, the disc name is shown as 'Set subtitle".  It can be difficult sometimes to match up what the actual tag frames are with what different software displays which is why we suggest tagging with Picard if possible.  Anyway, your issue appears to be that the disc title is indeed in the wrong frame.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - dt2510 - 2020-08-27

I tagged these files with picard, adding the "Set Subtitle" tag and it worked - thank you !

I'll keep that in mind for the future, but i like the interface of mp3tag more than the one of picard ... it's a bit uncomfortable in my opinion

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-27

Great! Unfortunately it can get get confusing when different tagging programs use different terms to refer to particular tag frames. I'm not on Windows so I can't say for sure, but I guess that if you now load up that album/disc into mp3tag you'll be able to see what it calls the frame and then use that identifier in the future, rather than having to resort to Picard occasionally.

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - dt2510 - 2020-08-27

Just another "short" question ...

For me a boxset is a box containing seprate discs with individual artwork. That can be

- a box set release of one album with multiple discs (example: Ayreon - Timeline) link: https://www.discogs.com/de/Ayreon-Timeline/release/2615563
- a "real" box with multiple albums (example: Jean Michel Jarre - The Complete Oxygene) link: https://www.discogs.com/de/Jean-Michel-Jarre-Oxygene-The-Complete-Oxygene/master/962964

In case of a single album i do the following (based on CD1 of the example above):

- album: Timeline
- discsubtitle: CD_0001

works perfectly - albumtype isn't really necessary here, since i get different artwork for box and all the individual discs.

In case of multiple albums i have a problem. I want to have the box displayed as a box containing the 3 seperate albums as well as the albums seperately. How can i do this ?

- album: The Complete Oxygene
- discsubtitle: Oxygene (respectively "Oxygene 7-13" and "Re-Oxygene" for CD 2 and 3)
- albumtype: album; boxset

doesn't work - Kodi displays the box containing the three albums but NOT the seperate albums ....

RE: Managing music albums Box-Sets properly with KODI library feature - black_eagle - 2020-08-27

You mean like my Queen stuff here, where Greatest Hits I, II & III are all individual albums, but are also in the 3CD set ?

To do that, I have two physical copies of the albums on disc. One 'set' is tagged with the MBID's for the original album releases and the boxset is tagged with the MBID's for that set. By using the unique MBID's, Kodi understands that one is a set and the others are individual albums and displays them as such.

If you make copies of the individual discs within the set and then tag the set with the MBID's here https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/808e4f0f-7618-49bc-bee0-328a99107d14 and the individual discs with https://musicbrainz.org/release/6d7a56ba-e77c-3f7d-ac4b-dcc741b51cb7, https://musicbrainz.org/release/474c8d5b-a5b2-38ae-8f42-63e8c250436a and https://musicbrainz.org/release/72ae7718-f745-4a78-961b-6cac16ae7c0e then it'll work.

You can't however just use the one physical copy on disk and have it appear as both a set and individual albums. I'm not even sure if you can do it without using MBID's. Although the music library will work without using them, if they are present it makes things much easier.

Hmm .. ok - so i have 2 options

- one physical copy (set of files) => either box or individual albums
- two physical copies (sets of files) => one set tagged as box and the other set tagged as albums

i have to check how many albums are affected and if it's worth (for me) to waste the disc space ...