Kodi Community Forum
[LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: [LINUX] XBMC for Linux port to ARM architecture CPU and SoC chips? (/showthread.php?tid=35139)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48

Marvell PXA510 D2Plug - konel - 2011-06-12

This is yet another SoC device that has all the basic specifications and interfaces, whether it has enough power is another story. It can do 1080p video decode along with flash 10 and OpenGL ES 2.0. At $250 it's not cheap though.

http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Globalscale-Technologies-D2Plug-and-Marvell-PXA510/

http://www.globalscaletechnologies.com/t-d2plugdetails.aspx#extern

- xmarsx - 2011-06-13

konel Wrote:This is yet another SoC device that has all the basic specifications and interfaces, whether it has enough power is another story.

There's now also a development platform from Samsung System LSI available but I'm no sure if anybody want's this for xbmc:
http://www.origenboard.org/

The specs for the origenBOARD are more or less like TI's PandaBoard but they also offer optional packages which include an LCD screen, etc.

I've also seen that Qualcomm now has a lower cost development platform called DragonBoard for their ARM based processors but it's pretty much focused on smartphone development (see link below). It's quite a huge base-board where you can add and remove additional componets (touchscreen, keypad, etc.) and replace the CPU module.
http://www.netbooknews.com/27391/qualcomm-releases-dragonboard-aimed-at-component-manufacturers/

- christian667 - 2011-06-19

@xbmcuser2000:
Did you try the xbmc-pvr with a vdr and vnsi? The vdr with many plugins runs like a charm on the pandaboard, but i'm not able to get the xbmc running..

@dw21:
where to disable the NEON optimizations? is it disabled with a simple
Code:
./configure --disable-optimizations
? I just tried a new compiling tourn with the xbmc-pvr source out of the git yesterday and the segfault mentioned before is'nt gone yet Sad

- davilla - 2011-06-19

There is no flag to enable/disable NEON via configure. If you configure with '--enable-tegra', NEON is disabled because the nvidia tegra does not have a NEON co-processor. All other armv7 variants have a NEON.

- christian667 - 2011-06-19

@davilla:
thanks Smile now compiling..

- christian667 - 2011-06-20

ok no luck for me at all, I configured with
Code:
./configure --enable-gles --enable-tegra
and compiling fails with
Code:
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xbmc/xbmc'
CPP     Application.o
In file included from Application.cpp:110:0:
cores/VideoRenderers/RenderManager.h: In member function ‘void CXBMCRenderManager::AddProcessor(CVDPAU*)’:
cores/VideoRenderers/RenderManager.h:114:20: error: ‘class CLinuxRendererGLES’ has no member named ‘AddProcessor’
make[1]: *** [Application.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xbmc/xbmc'
make: *** [xbmc/xbmc.a] Error 2
any ideas? Smile

EDIT: next run with
Code:
./configure --enable-gles --enable-tegra --disable-vdpau
also failed with:
Code:
AR      paplayer.a
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xbmc/xbmc/cores/paplayer'
make -C xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/xbmc/xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers'
Makefile:9: *** missing separator.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/xbmc/xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers'
make: *** [xbmc/cores/VideoRenderers/VideoRenderer.a] Error 2

- davilla - 2011-06-20

if you are trying to fix a NEON crash, where ?

Oh no I'm not trying to fix a crash - I just try to compile the Opdenkamp source (xbmc-pvr) with OpenGL-ES support, without any luck yet..
I think I don't need NEON acceleration for DVB content, to disable it I tried to configure with
Code:
--enable-tegra
(on my pandaboard), but no chance to compile it without errors Sad

- davilla - 2011-06-20

christian667 Wrote:Oh no I'm not trying to fix a crash - I just try to compile the Opdenkamp source (xbmc-pvr) with OpenGL-ES support, without any luck yet..
I think I don't need NEON acceleration for DVB content, to disable it I tried to configure with
Code:
--enable-tegra
(on my pandaboard), but no chance to compile it without errors Sad

don't --enable-tegra on pandaboard Smile

ok then compiling with
Code:
--enable-gles
succeeds, but xbmc throws a segfault on start (discribed last page).
Quote:There is no flag to enable/disable NEON via configure. If you configure with '--enable-tegra', NEON is disabled because the nvidia tegra does not have a NEON co-processor. All other armv7 variants have a NEON.
how to disable the NEON optimizations without the tegra flag? Smile

- davilla - 2011-06-20

You need to see where the segfault is occuring. gdb it and grab a backtrace.

EDIT: http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=809266&postcount=488 seems to indicate what you should do, did you try that ?

Mh I'm not shure how to
Quote:...turn on the cpp code...
instead of the neon optimized one Undecided
not yet familar with the source..

- dandel - 2011-06-20

Starstream Wrote:Amlogic have their own OpenLinux Arm Wiki with lots of info, don't know if it was setup by them (their commercial site has next to nothing), the platform section seems to imply they are packing Cortex A9 with Mali400 on some of the chips.

The Amlogic AML8726-M is a Cortex A9 with Mali400 GPU , there might be some stuff out there, some of the known Amlogic media boxes on the market are older chipsets based off the 86xx series.

Some Amlogic players offer the source code like the Ferguson Ariva HDplayer 200a.

Yes, I actually am looking into the Geniatech EnjoyTV Devices. These all include the Cortex A9 Chip from Amlogic.

McGeagh Wrote:I did, very briefly, try the Amlogic... but got distracted with other things.
At that time, the Amlogic wasnt very well supported, and the instructions/manuals I got were in chinese... probably changed by now though.

The instructions/manuals are in chinese because chinese companies always pick up the cheapest chips faster than anyone else. The issue with these companies is that they do not properly release gpl source. This makes supporting the devices a little tricky. However, we are lucky that amlogic has released numerous sources already... I have compiled a few links that will be of use...

Generic details for Amlogic Apollo series... Models: AML6236M, AML7266M, and AML8226M.
Amlogic Openlinux: Arm Build System - Specific instructions on how to build the root file system, kernel, boot loader and most everything else.
Amlogic Openlinux: Running the Android on SD Card - Highly useful tips that can be used to run the root filesystem off the sdcard. (instructions for uboot)
Amlogic Openlinux: Android - Getting the Source Code - This should be useful, when amlogic opens up the repository to the public... however, this adds to the mess...

Details for Amlogic Apollo AM8726M.
Amlogic OpenLinux: Build system for 8726M Howto - Build system details for the Amlogic AM8726M
Amlogic OpenLinux: Burn system for 8726M Howto - Information for using NFS, Nand, and SDcard to boot the 8726M series of devices.

Anyways, from here, the most we can do is rely on ARM's details for the Mali 400 series graphics chip.

and as a quick note, the OpenGL ES libs are definately included with the root packages (I verified this by looking at the file, arm-buildroot-2010.05-2010-10-12-10.00--svn1957.tgz) the main note is that the build root source tree under 'buildroot-(Release)/package/opengl'

- davilla - 2011-06-21

christian667 Wrote:Mh I'm not shure how to

instead of the neon optimized one Undecided
not yet familar with the source..

edit xbmc/guilib/MatrixGLES.cpp

change #if defined(__ARM_NEON__) to #if 0

- davilla - 2011-06-21

@dandel, I have an Geniatech EnjoyTV Device Smile

Unsuccessful at booting a real linux kernel from SD card yet.