Kodi Community Forum
Alpha TheShowDB - New TV Metadata site (development in progress) - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Meta-Data provider and Artwork Packs (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=71)
+--- Thread: Alpha TheShowDB - New TV Metadata site (development in progress) (/showthread.php?tid=352588)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

RE: New TV Metadata site? - Konon - 2020-04-06

(2020-04-05, 23:45)docwra Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 18:43)Tobby Wrote: What's your take on the poster dimensions? I see you suggested 1000 x 1426 like Fanart.tv while TMDB use 2:3 aspect ratio on their posters.
Before I preferred the 1000 x 1426 dimensions because it made it easier to adapt DVD covers into posters. In fact I was in favor of it when fanart first started their poster section.

Now that DVDs and all in general physical media is being phased out I've come to prefer the 2:3 poster aspect ratio that is the standard of way more sites. Not only TMDB.
Most Kodi skins, including the default Estuary, also use the 2:3 aspect ratio so creating a new site with artwork for Kodi with posters that doesnt fit seems a bit dumb.
I was thinking 680x1000

I'm not interested in the highest quality artwork, as other sites have that covered. Interesting thoughts on the aspect ratio 
And why do not you want to use the size 1000x1500 - the KODI standard? On large TVs, the small sizes of posters look bad.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - rschiks - 2020-04-06

(2020-04-05, 23:46)docwra Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 19:14)rschiks Wrote: @docwra Now that my site (kyradb) needs to be closed, would you be interested taking over the artwork?
Sure I will need to take a look if you have some source data.

Saying that, I don't want it to become an Hi-Quality artwork only site. The aim is still to be a backup of TheTVDB and TheMovieDB.org with a nice, easy to use interface. 
In what artwork would you be interested?

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-04-06

(2020-04-06, 10:56)rschiks Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 23:46)docwra Wrote:
(2020-04-05, 19:14)rschiks Wrote: @docwra Now that my site (kyradb) needs to be closed, would you be interested taking over the artwork?
Sure I will need to take a look if you have some source data.

Saying that, I don't want it to become an Hi-Quality artwork only site. The aim is still to be a backup of TheTVDB and TheMovieDB.org with a nice, easy to use interface.  
In what artwork would you be interested? 
I'd be interested in the actor posters if you have them imported already from TMDB. I would really need them to be named {firstname} {secondname}.jpg or with some kind of ID to be useful though.

If you want to send it all to me somehow in a big file I could hold the rest just in case I ever get around to writing a movie site again with all these cool new artwork types.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - brokenangel - 2020-05-12

(2020-03-18, 23:03)docwra Wrote: Yes also bear in mind i'm pretty good at writing cross site importers now, so auto syncs with TMDB, TheTVDB and fanart.tv are possible. 

That was my biggest question: how do you get thousands and thousands of shows and their data into another database?

Good for you.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-05-12

(2020-05-12, 18:26)brokenangel Wrote:
(2020-03-18, 23:03)docwra Wrote: Yes also bear in mind i'm pretty good at writing cross site importers now, so auto syncs with TMDB, TheTVDB and fanart.tv are possible. 

That was my biggest question: how do you get thousands and thousands of shows and their data into another database?

Good for you. 
Current plan is to just write an importer using their API and organically grow when users import full shows or sync up latest seasons/episodes. I have no interest in re-creating the wheel here Big Grin

I had a look at the APIs and it looks doable, just need to find the time to do it.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - chrissix666 - 2020-07-10

(2020-03-18, 06:58)rmrector Wrote: I don't see the point in another website. What's wrong with TMDB for data? The only things I see are that applications are still using TVDB and there are still more users adding data to TVDB than TMDB. Another website won't solve either problem, it will just fracture the user base even further.

Fanart.tv needs dev, design, and infrastructure help, then they might be able to expand to new artwork types and some other needed changes. For artwork otherwise, "Single artwork for each show rather than multiple choices" doesn't make much sense to me - it barely works for music, and TV shows generally have more options.

i try to agree with @rmrector! Such database not only need a lot of time and work, unfortunatly  if it should run good it costs money. And if it should still be an "open" database it needs community fan based funding or something like that.
Currently only TMDB for movies, TVDB for tvshows & fanart.tv for AAA artwork got into this stage.
Fanart related i am also currently in the stage instead of splitting up making sub projects over sub projects anyway with a lot of other database imported data, we should find a way to stick it together and unite.

As @rmrector stated Fanart.tv has still the best permission for that!
I can unterstand @Kore fanart.tv founder/maintainer very well, when he is stating and proving that the server costs are lots and lots more expensive than the donations
"the current system is fine as it is and currently no plans for more extensions or upgrades"

How should new projects survive if even Kore lost his motivation currently on putting further progress in. The fanart.tv project status is as open for puplic as it could be... everyone wants "for free for free", yes, me too! They are this also doing for free because its just their hobby and passion, its fun. 
But...
a webhoster with a bit of speed and storage space like here is needed... youll not get for free in this world.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-07-12

(2020-07-10, 22:54)chrissix Wrote:
(2020-03-18, 06:58)rmrector Wrote:  
How should new projects survive if even Kore lost his motivation currently on putting further progress in. The fanart.tv project status is as open for puplic as it could be... everyone wants "for free for free", yes, me too! They are this also doing for free because its just their hobby and passion, its fun. 
But...
a webhoster with a bit of speed and storage space like here is needed... youll not get for free in this world.

Luckily I can leverage the patreon supporters from my other sites, we have 3 dedicated gigabit hosts with beefy servers now. It is indeed very expensive to run these sites which is why they need a "business" model but at heart I still only want to make open source media centres better. Its always my goal.

I haven't done much work on the site but the basics are there, I already see lots of activity on the test API keys so it must be useful to some. I'm still up in the air about continuing it though as there doesnt seem like much support for the idea. I will see how it goes on this one as it was just a project born out of the frustrations of other sites uptime and supporting more artwork.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-11-12

This project was taken down for a while, but due to recent changes in TheTVDB service I am going to look into resurrecting it.

Please do let me know if this is something worth working on or have any feature requests...

RE: New TV Metadata site? - Harro - 2020-11-14

(2020-11-12, 22:45)docwra Wrote: This project was taken down for a while, but due to recent changes in TheTVDB service I am going to look into resurrecting it.

Please do let me know if this is something worth working on or have any feature requests...
I just registered on your site with the hope of adding some stuff. I have close to 700 TV shows with all artwork and wonder if it would be possible for user to sync their show list with your database?  Sort of a give and take. I upload what you are missing and download what I am missing. Would this work?

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-11-16

(2020-11-14, 16:53)Harro Wrote:
(2020-11-12, 22:45)docwra Wrote: This project was taken down for a while, but due to recent changes in TheTVDB service I am going to look into resurrecting it.

I just registered on your site with the hope of adding some stuff. I have close to 700 TV shows with all artwork and wonder if it would be possible for user to sync their show list with your database?  Sort of a give and take. I upload what you are missing and download what I am missing. Would this work?

Yeh hold up a bit as the site is pretty much read only for now other than artwork. I need to look at the backend (particularly actors) to fix the relationships before allowing importing new shows and adding episodes, but any artwork uploaded will be preserved.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - Harro - 2020-11-16

(2020-11-16, 10:55)docwra Wrote:
(2020-11-14, 16:53)Harro Wrote:

Yeh hold up a bit as the site is pretty much read only for now other than artwork. I need to look at the backend (particularly actors) to fix the relationships before allowing importing new shows and adding episodes, but any artwork uploaded will be preserved.

No hurry, just trying to help if I could.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - DarrenHill - 2020-11-17

The site would most certainly be of interest. One thing I'm finding that TMDB and TVMaze are not at all good at is grouped individual show content from providers, such as BBC documentaries and BBC comedy.

Would be nice to have a site that's available and able to cover that kind of thing in the same way that TVDB does.

RE: New TV Metadata site? - bsoriano - 2020-11-17

@docwra , I also think it would be of interest.  I am having to scrape items from different sites in order to have good episode data, in particular the plot and the thumb.  For very recent episodes, either tvdb does not have a plot and tmdb does, or vice versa, and with the thumb it's even more hit or miss.  Please let me know how I can help in furthering this.  Thanks.

Regards,

Bart

RE: New TV Metadata site? - docwra - 2020-11-19

(2020-11-17, 15:44)DarrenHill Wrote: The site would most certainly be of interest. One thing I'm finding that TMDB and TVMaze are not at all good at is grouped individual show content from providers, such as BBC documentaries and BBC comedy.

Would be nice to have a site that's available and able to cover that kind of thing in the same way that TVDB does.

Yes I am very interested in edge cases like this and making sure I get it right first time with the DB structure.

Does anyone else have any comments on how current TV scraping can be improved?

RE: New TV Metadata site? - Karellen - 2020-11-19

I like the new flexible episode groups that TVDB introduced. Allows creating alternate episode orders, but not being restricted to the number of episodes in the default order.

Extended artwork. I gave up on contributing to fanart.tv due to a constant conflict with one particular moderator there, which means all my artwork since then is sitting on my pc. I'd like to share them elsewhere.

Is this for both Movies and TV Shows?