Kodi Community Forum
[split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player (/showthread.php?tid=352982)

Pages: 1 2 3

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - jjd-uk - 2020-03-31

@DaveBlake I've just noticed the the advanced filtering from the left sidemenu doesn't not work with playlists, so you can't make on the fly adjustments to the current playlist.

@black_eagle Also when in the normal music nodes e.g. songs the advanced filter doesn't appear to have any of the new DB items.

I just looked at this as I wondered if it could be used to exclude items from the current playlist to only play the something with a 5* user rating, or BMP at a certain amount.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - Video Titles - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 14:32)DaveBlake Wrote:  
Mp3tag is tagging software, that writes embedded tag data into the file headers, it does not create NFO files. No idea what you are trying to say about genre values, no hacks required.

Fairly often I sit and listen to Kodi playing music of my choice, not just leave it in the background or playing on an infinite loop like the player in the car. But agin

As best I can tell @black_eagle has no aspirations to be a DJ, neither does anyone else. 

I suggest that you take another look at MP3 Tag you can create and export NFO files using that software. Which I have said before, which judging by you not knowing that you can create NFO files using MP3 Tag shows that you are missing the point.

I used to create two NFO tag files for my music and music videos both for Kodi and actual Jukebox software that I have.

To give an example from your own Wiki page, I have reduced this

<album> <title>%title$</title> <genre>$genre$</genre>  </album>

You create a template using MP3 Tag, and you in between where it says <title> you add %title% a wildcard

and then you can export as a file using MP3 Tag.

You can even add the BPM if you so wish to your exported file, composer or whatever else it tags.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - DaveBlake - 2020-03-31

No idea why this is on this "junk" thread @jjd-uk
(2020-03-31, 14:48)jjd-uk Wrote: @DaveBlake I've just noticed the the advanced filtering from the left sidemenu doesn't not work with playlists, so you can't make on the fly adjustments to the current playlist.
No, never has done since Montellese created it.
I have ideas for an all over filtering/smartplaylist node upgrade for better dynamic filtering, I'll get it done eventually (it is WIP for over a year now) . And there are good reasons why trying to bodge in in now isn't good idea.

(2020-03-31, 14:48)jjd-uk Wrote: @black_eagle Also when in the normal music nodes e.g. songs the advanced filter doesn't appear to have any of the new DB items.
Again, down to me probably. That filter dialog is slow enough as it is and so much scrolling needed, without adding to it, but I guess BMP could be appended.

But really I would rather effort went into something better Smile

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - jjd-uk - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 15:09)DaveBlake Wrote: No idea why this is on this "junk" thread @jjd_uk
(2020-03-31, 14:48)jjd-uk Wrote: @DaveBlake I've just noticed the the advanced filtering from the left sidemenu doesn't not work with playlists, so you can't make on the fly adjustments to the current playlist.
No, never has done since Montellese created it.
I have ideas for an all over filtering/smartplaylist node upgrade,I'll get to it eventually.

Well it was mentioned in this thread that you might open a playlist then decide it contained tracks you didn't want to listen to, so rather than create a new playlist I wondered if the filter could be used to exclude stuff, however when I went to check it out I discovered filter in the current playlist view only offers a basic text filter.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - Video Titles - 2020-03-31

You could always go old skool, but is a lot of hassle but create your own playlist (compliation) albums and then make playlists from that

However, there is a far easier way but it only works for certain genres. Create your own MTV channel e.g use music videos.

You can use MP3 Tag to create the nfo files rather than having to wait for a music video scraper to be populated with the information. 

The good thing about using music videos, is that usually it is only the most popular songs on the albums that get their own videos. So it will all be top chart music and you will be less likely to skip songs.

It also looks a lot better than having say a screen saver playing. However, some skins download the words to the songs and creates a karaoke background, but sadly not all skins have that feature.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - Karellen - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 15:42)Video Titles Wrote: However, some skins download the words to the songs and creates a karaoke background, but sadly not all skins have that featu
That is the CU Lyrics Addon. It is not skin dependent and once installed it should work with any skin.

Ok thanks for that, when I get my music library set up again I shall have a look at that. I did not like the look of having albums on my Titan Bingie set up, so I used the extra space for movies. I usually play music via my google home max as I am not a massive music lover, so I usually only listen to that annoying song that you think about in your head, start humming and then you have to play it just so that you stop humming it. However, that is one hell of a add on.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - HeresJohnny - 2020-03-31

For a guy who's only message is "stay away, this will never be good" you're certainly expending a lot of energy. You should probably change your username to "En Titles".

Firstly, your post does not make any sense. I was talking about CU Lyrics addon and not the BPM or countless extras that people want. As I have said before, I use proper music software for my touchscreen jukebox when it is hooked up and working. I have had Kodi set up for music in the past and used that as a basic music player but music is not my first passion and I hate tagging music, so I was doing it out of wanting the best that I could, I even went as far as ripping 1990 - 1994 UK charts but after six months I had enough of doing so. 

However, it is called adults debating a subject whether or not other users agree with me or not, is another matter. However, I would never use Kodi for anything but a basic music player, and the features that other people want, I do not agree with. As I have mentioned before, it is not just the music section but also the game section and other sections where people are just want, want and want. Kodi could be going for another 10 to 100 years if they kept programming everything that people want it to do.

To worry about BPM means that you want to do some DJ features which in turn means that you are talking about overhauling the Kodi music playback system. In reality you cannot just bolt on an add on to play music at a certain BPM as it might play songs that you hate, so you still have to structure your music as a DJ does. If you want to do that, then invest in DJ software or specific music programs that do what you want it to do.

However, thank you for your unrelated post which offers nothing constructive, maybe we should call you "Post rubbish just to get my post count up Johnny"

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - FXB78 - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 19:22)Video Titles Wrote: As I have mentioned before, it is not just the music section but also the game section and other sections where people are just want, want and want. Kodi could be going for another 10 to 100 years if they kept programming everything that people want it to do.

To worry about BPM means that you want to do some DJ features which in turn means that you are talking about overhauling the Kodi music playback system.
Going by that logic perhaps we should have stopped at XBMP, and not developed any of the features that are now supported and continue to be developed. They all came from ideas and suggestions.

And as for 'DJ Features', I'm not sure where you pulled that idea from but as far as I can tell people are simply asking to filter songs by BPM, in the same way you would filter by Year, Genre or Artist. There is no overhauling required it's just an additional tag. Unless you can point to where somebody requested these DJ Features you keep eluding to.

Shakes head. I presume that you know what BPM stands for. You do realise that when you go to a nite club a DJ does sets based on a certain BPM, and you mix in tracks to suit that BPM.

So when people are saying we want BPM tagging which you can already do as I have said before by creating your own NFO files with MP3 Tag and you can export anything that you want to that NFO file.

So if you are wanting to filter songs based on BPM, it means that you want DJ features. You then would need additional filters to work with that BPM, so to give an example if you want dance music at 160 BPM, you need to filter out any pop, rock music etc.

Hence me saying that people want DJ features.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - HeresJohnny - 2020-03-31

Failing to see the alternatives or the potential of a feature is a shortcoming on your side, not the other one. Talking about adults debating a subject, that usually means an exchange of views, not presenting yours as the only valid one. The only valid way to use this forum is through constructive criticism or contributing in any other way.

And yes, you're trolling even though you use educated speech but it is the goal that counts. Dave was right to classify this as a junk thread but in times of "we stay at home" maybe some relief of tensions through trolling is necessary. So maybe you do contribute something positive after all to provide the kind of nihilsm others here can bash without feeling bad...

Do you want to know what trolling is?

Being so hungry that you can eat a scabby rat, as so difficult to get food from super markets. You then spend £16 on a takeaway, which turns out to taste like crap and you have no beer to wash the crap out of your mouth. Oh not forgetting you have people talking outside of your window, when you are trying to watch a movie and you have only watched twenty five minutes in over two and a half hours.

Then to make matters worse, some posting freak, that adds nothing to a conversation about the thread matter itself starts barking like a little lap dog, that you would use for slippers. However post count plus two.

Maybe if you do make it three posts, maybe you can stick to the subject matter, and say why you would want BPM and other such features and keeping the junk subject on topic and not getting your post count up.

God I need a beer.

RE: [split] An opinion of Kodi as a music library/player - black_eagle - 2020-03-31

(2020-03-31, 19:48)Video Titles Wrote: So when people are saying we want BPM tagging which you can already do as I have said before by creating your own NFO files with MP3 Tag and you can export anything that you want to that NFO file.

Yes, you can export anything to an NFO file.  But Kodi won't use it when it scans your music files.  It'll use artist NFO files and album NFO files but it WILL NOT read BPM from them for a song or indeed any other stuff you might put in there.  All of that comes from the embedded tags in the song files and the tags that are read are hard-coded into core, so no you couldn't do this before. If Kodi reads a tag that it doesn't process, it simply ignores it.  You cannot make Kodi read, process or sort any tags that it isn't already programmed to do.  And until recently, BPM wasn't one of them.

Do us all a favour and stop posting rubbish.  Not only is it misleading for others following but in many cases, it's just downright wrong.

Yes you cannot import a field that is not in the database to import. However, I have previously stated that I was creating NFO files for Kodi and also jukebox software that I use. A lot of people might have already tagged their MP3 using the BPM in MP3 Tag or other tagging software.

All what you are doing is reading and making up what your mind tells you are reading.