Kodi Community Forum
YouTube Plug-in Thread - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: YouTube Plug-in Thread (/showthread.php?tid=353278)

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - BEUS - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-23, 23:58)DarrenHill Wrote: As I said before, when it doesn't work for anyone and is no longer maintained, then an addon will be marked broken.

At this point neither applies, so no, it will not be marked broken.

Just because you can't configure it to work doesn't mean others can't. As can be seen from this very thread, many people (including me) have it working fine.
Amen to this post! 
Works fine for me now, not broken at all!

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - dule0 - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-24, 09:23)dule0 Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 07:00)the_other_guy Wrote: FOR THE ONES THAT SAY IT IS NOT BROKEN TAKE THE RESET TEST 
total removal of kodi then install youtube and run singing in set up device and time how long it take you to get the error

I have problem to sign in on youtube add-on.It demand of me to enter code on google.com/device ,after sucseful done on my browser when it say that my device is conected, kodi open settings nothing else, no to try another enter code ,  it demand from me to open two applications again and again...
Help me, please.

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - olympus - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-21, 11:48)giaur Wrote: Why can't we use Youtube without any credentials, anonymously similar as browsing Youtube site and watching videos without login?

Because someone would have to create an add-on that scrapes the webpage instead of using the API.
It would be broken very often though because of the changes of the website's layout.
Projects like NewPipe exist, but there are way too many people involved in it so they can handle them.
API means stablility, this add-on is a "1 person project" who works on it in his free time, it's not his job and is kind enough to share it with us.
The developer's options: having to work for free for countless hours to fix changes vs user to spend 5 minutes of his life to create credentials.
He makes the obvious choice, everybody would make the same in his position Smile

(2020-02-23, 18:54)kingsombra Wrote: Well that's it for me then. I refuse to ever have an account with the single most evil company on the face of the earth Google.

No API for me.

I am now uninstalling an addon that is useless to me.

From now on, Ill browse the webpage and use Free Download Manager to download videos that interest me, to my NAS drive.

They are not evil enough though, they still allow you to download them and leech their servers for nothing in return.
If they enable DRM for their videos, no more downloading for you unless you have a YouTube Premium account.

(2020-02-23, 20:08)FairKing Wrote: I was using KODI sometimes but recently I tried it is getting worse and worse.
90% of official plugins is not workable where 50% of them are just youtube channel mirror.
Not user friendly - you have to enter some codes, edit jsons and so on.
And then Youtube issues.
I think KODI is dead now.

It's just your wrong opinion of what Kodi really is.
Kodi is an entertainment hub that brings all your digital media together into a beautiful and user friendly package.
https://kodi.tv/about
It won't be dead even if Kodi team removes all add-ons altogether because there are enough people who use it for their own content and don't use add-ons at all.
It just won't be for you.

(2020-02-24, 00:00)charlieroot Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 23:58)DarrenHill Wrote: As I said before, when it doesn't work for anyone and is no longer maintained, then an addon will be marked broken.

Just because you can't configure it to work doesn't mean others can't. As can be seen from this very thread, many people (including me) have it working fine.

It's not that I cant't make those keys, it's because I won't.

Regs,   

Then don't and move on.
With your logic Spotify, Netflix and Amazon Prime add-ons should be marked as broken because you don't want to create/buy credentials for them.
This add-on is not broken.
It wouldn't be broken even if it eventually works only with credentials from a YouTube Premium account.

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - curael - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-24, 07:00)the_other_guy Wrote: FOR THE ONES THAT SAY IT IS NOT BROKEN TAKE THE RESET TEST 
total removal of kodi then install youtube and run singing in set up device and time how long it take you to get the error

Please control yourself. It works. And it works in the only way it's possible.

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - charlieroot - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-24, 09:48)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 00:00)charlieroot Wrote:

It's not that I cant't make those keys, it's because I won't.

Regs,    

Then don't and move on.
With your logic Spotify, Netflix and Amazon Prime add-ons should be marked as broken because you don't want to create/buy credentials for them.
It wouldn't be broken even if it eventually works only with credentials from a YouTube Premium account. 
No, that is your logic.

Services like Amazon and Netflix are paid services by design and credentials are always needed, regardless of the device (PC, laptop, mediacenter). Youtube doesn't need credentials when used on een PC, laptop because all you need is a browser. On Kodi you have to use the addon which uses een API.

The core functionality of that API seems to be broken. If creating a set of keys is so super easy, then why hasn't the developer created new keys (like we have been using for years) and release a new version of the addon (which I used a lot like many others).

Creating a personal key may be easy for you but that doesn't mean it's easy for everybody. Some people can't, some people won't or even refuse. And they have a good reason, those keys were pre baked and have been working for years.

Regs,

(2020-02-24, 09:45)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-23, 18:54)kingsombra Wrote: Well that's it for me then. I refuse to ever have an account with the single most evil company on the face of the earth Google.

No API for me.

From now on, Ill browse the webpage and use Free Download Manager to download videos that interest me, to my NAS drive.

They are not evil enough though, they still allow you to download them and leech their servers for nothing in return.
If they enable DRM for their videos, no more downloading for you unless you have a YouTube Premium account. 

No sir, he does not leech their servers.

The creators are the owner of the content so he would be 'leeching' their content. And a lot of creators are getting paid for ads so they can make some money. Other creators have the option to donate money so they can keep their channel up and running.

Regs,

(2020-02-24, 12:53)charlieroot Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 09:48)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 00:00)charlieroot Wrote: It's not that I cant't make those keys, it's because I won't.

Regs,    

Then don't and move on.
No, that is your logic.

Services like Amazon and Netflix are paid services by design and credentials are always needed, regardless of the device (PC, laptop, mediacenter). Youtube doesn't need credentials when used on een PC, laptop because all you need is a browser. On Kodi you have to use the addon which uses een API.

The core functionality of that API seems to be broken. If creating a set of keys is so super easy, then why hasn't the developer created new keys (like we have been using for years) and release a new version of the addon (which I used a lot like many others).

Creating a personal key may be easy for you but that doesn't mean it's easy for everybody. Some people can't, some people won't or even refuse. And they have a good reason, those keys were pre baked and have been working for years.

Regs,        

YouTube is a paid service since 2008.
You pay with ads or with a monthly fee (YouTube Red, now YouTube Premium).
It's exactly the same business model of Spotify.
Spotify add-on works only with Spotify PREMIUM accounts, free accounts don't work at all.

It's insane having so much entitlement to it and demand stuff when we actually try to cheat YouTube's business model.
They have every right to try to fight all ways that cheat their business model, that's what everybody does in their own business.
There is a reason why the developer is not creating new keys.
There is no point, if they are not approved by Google the keys can't handle the traffic.
What do you expect? He won't spend the rest of his life creating new keys.
Google is not going to approve anymore keys that are used in projects that bypass ads and break their business model.
They have every right not to approve them, like you have every right to protect your own business.

The YouTube Data API uses a quota to ensure that developers use the service as intended and do not create applications that unfairly reduce service quality or limit access for others.

https://developers.google.com/youtube/v3/getting-started#quota

(2020-02-24, 13:02)charlieroot Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 09:45)olympus Wrote:

No API for me.

No sir, he does not leech their servers.

The creators are the owner of the content so he would be 'leeching' their content. And a lot of creators are getting paid for ads so they can make some money. Other creators have the option to donate money so they can keep their channel up and running.

Regs,     

Sir, I am talking about the servers the content is hosted.
These servers belong to Google and they need money to run.
The cost of the servers is paid by the ads or by a monthly fee (YouTube Premium).

(2020-02-24, 13:35)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 12:53)charlieroot Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 09:48)olympus Wrote: Then don't and move on.
No, that is your logic.

Regs,          

It's insane having so much entitlement to it and demand stuff when we actually try to cheat YouTube's business model. 
Tell that to the people who have joined Fair Tube (fairtube.info is their website) and are working together with the world's largest union that we are all 'cheating Youtube's business model'.

Regs,

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - MaxieWagner - 2020-02-24

(2020-02-24, 09:44)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-21, 11:48)giaur Wrote: Why can't we use Youtube without any credentials, anonymously similar as browsing Youtube site and watching videos without login?

Because someone would have to create an add-on that scrapes the webpage instead of using the API.
It would be broken very often though because of the changes of the website's layout.
Projects like NewPipe exist, but there are way too many people involved in it so they can handle them.
API means stablility, this add-on is a "1 person project" who works on it in his free time, it's not his job and is kind enough to share it with us.
The developer's options: having to work for free for countless hours to fix changes vs user to spend 5 minutes of his life to create credentials.
He makes the obvious choice, everybody would make the same in his position Smile 

RE: YouTube Plug-in Thread - MaxieWagner - 2020-02-24

Is there a chance, or even a likelihood, that this issue will eventually be fixed through an update?

While the instructions are clear (if not tedious should you have to manually type all 3 keys), I work with many seniors who are simply incapable of handing this instructional solution.

They love watching their YouTube links, but will never be able to manage fixes of this nature.

Are they permanently out-of-luck?

Here's hoping that all API-challenged users will eventually be rescued by a centralized update.

Is there a chance this might happen?

(2020-02-24, 14:06)charlieroot Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 13:35)olympus Wrote:
(2020-02-24, 12:53)charlieroot Wrote: No, that is your logic.

Regs,          

Tell that to the people who have joined Fair Tube (fairtube.info is their website) and are working together with the world's largest union that we are all 'cheating Youtube's business model'.

Regs,        
Tell what? They want better conditions in their work, they are in reality employees of YouTube.
I hope they get better conditions and... salaries in their job like I hope the same for every employee.
I hope the same for Netflix, Amazon, Spotify employees etc
Am I justified to start watching illegally Netflix and Amazon Prime tv shows if I don't agree with the salaries they give to their employees?