Kodi Community Forum
Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Add-on Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+---- Forum: Video Add-ons (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=154)
+---- Thread: Release "iPlayer WWW" add-on (/showthread.php?tid=353349)

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - lee3lions - 2017-04-29

(2017-04-28, 13:22)bicky Wrote:
(2017-04-28, 08:26)CaptainT Wrote:
(2017-04-28, 05:10)lee3lions Wrote: I changed to HLS. Now I get the following error message:
HTTPSConnectionPool (host='vod-hls-uk-live-akamaized.net',port=433):
Max retries exceeded with url:
/usp/auth/vod/piff_abr_full_hd/fd0261-b08nt9yr/vf_b08nt9yr_8a9
(Caused by
NewConnectionError ('requests.packages.urllib3.connection.Veri
Object at 0xad49d868:failed to establish a new connection:
(Ermo 111) connection refused'))

This error looks like you were geoblocked. Are you sure you are in the UK and do not use any VPN?

Forget VPN - I have found it seldom works - switch to a Smart DNS - never fails and doesn't throttle speeds down

I am using a Smart DNA already. All of my other video apps are working, including Mikey1234 version of iPlayer, itv player.
Nothing has changed except my update to 3.0.5 and enabling InputStream Adaptive.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - DarrenHill - 2017-04-29

@AppleCrumble - your install contains banned addons (wiki) which violate our forum rules (wiki).

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2017-04-29

(2017-04-29, 20:23)sej7278 Wrote:
(2017-04-29, 08:27)primaeval Wrote: I am pretty sure HLS and DASH use the same video source. They are just different transport mechanisms.
The streams I tested have the same codec information in vlc 3.0.0.

The reason DASH should be better is that if all goes well it should adapt to your connection and drop the resolution when the network bandwidth is limited.

If your connection is stable enough to watch the highest resolution HLS stream without dropouts then you are not losing anything by not using DASH.

The annoying thing is that the code that starts HLS streams quickly in Jarvis 16.1 was deliberately taken out of Krypton 17.1.
There might be a fix in Leia or later if you are lucky. This is why I am sticking to Jarvis as long as possible.
https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17422

i installed iplayer-www 3.0.5 in libreelec 8.0.1 today (for some reason the previous version had been removed/disabled?) and found that DASH was much better quality and smoothness, HLS even at 2.4mbps was not smooth on a 12mbps adsl link.

for some reason my kodi 18a box will only play HLS streams, but then that has a 74mbps fibre so seems ok on top res.

The content of the streams at the same resolution is probably the same data if it is using fMP4 fragments. HLS and DASH from the BBC are both h264 and I expect use exactly the same source as they have so much content to store and serve. They might have a shiny new encoder for DASH that is slightly better than the HLS one at the same resolution.

I think what you were comparing was the 2.4mbps HLS stream which is only 25fps with the 5.5Mbps 50fps DASH stream which would look smoother unless you set the DASH bandwidth lower. Your isp might also be prioritising the DASH traffic so you get a more stable stream as this is probably more widely used today.

I can't find any software to do a frame by frame comparison but the 5.5Mbps streams from HLS and DASH look suspiciously similar to me.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - AppleCrumble - 2017-04-29

Thanks again.

Re-installed OSMC
Installed iPlayer WWW
Installed inputstream.adaptive version 1.0.8

Can now view BBC catchup (Hooray!)

However I always get buffering. Previously I cleared "Play streams automatically using these settings" and this allowed me to select a low bitrate.
But now I just get to choose between Akamai and Limelight, without the choice of bitrate.
The bitrate settings are greyed out.

Is there a cure for this?

Thanks

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2017-04-29

(2017-04-29, 21:40)AppleCrumble Wrote: Thanks again.

Re-installed OSMC
Installed iPlayer WWW

However I always get buffering. Previously I cleared "Play streams automatically using these settings" and this allowed me to select a low bitrate.
But now I just get to choose between Akamai and Limelight, without the choice of bitrate.

Thanks

It's in the right click Settings menu for inputsteam.adapative. The same place you enabled it from.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - AppleCrumble - 2017-04-29

Thanks again

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - lee3lions - 2017-04-30

After reading some more of the posts, I checked the Live TV and it woorks fine, just not the catch-up. Is this a settings problem?

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - Jeffers24 - 2017-04-30

(2017-04-29, 21:42)primaeval Wrote:
(2017-04-29, 21:40)AppleCrumble Wrote: Thanks again.

Re-installed OSMC
Installed iPlayer WWW

Thanks

It's in the right click Settings menu for inputsteam.adapative. The same place you enabled it from.

Any advice on what these settings should be set to?

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - primaeval - 2017-04-30

(2017-04-30, 08:16)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-04-29, 21:42)primaeval Wrote: It's in the right click Settings menu for inputsteam.adapative. The same place you enabled it from.

Theoretically they shouldn't need to be set as the inputstream.adaptive addon should pick the best stream for your connection, adaptively.

That is quite a big task though and depends on whether it can detect spikes in traffic quick enough for you not to notice the resolution switching.

If you get a bad stream try setting the maximum bandwidth lower until you get a stable connection.
Follow the list of bandwidths for the HLS streams in the iPlayer WWW Settings.
inputstream.adapative needs the numbers in bits so 5.5Mbps is 5500000 unless it is in binary megabytes.
It depends whether the number was specified by engineers or marketers. Wink

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - Jeffers24 - 2017-04-30

(2017-04-30, 08:57)primaeval Wrote:
(2017-04-30, 08:16)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2017-04-29, 21:42)primaeval Wrote: It's in the right click Settings menu for inputsteam.adapative. The same place you enabled it from.

Theoretically they shouldn't need to be set as the inputstream.adaptive addon should pick the best stream for your connection, adaptively.

That is quite a big task though and depends on whether it can detect spikes in traffic quick enough for you not to notice the resolution switching.

If you get a bad stream try setting the maximum bandwidth lower until you get a stable connection.
Follow the list of bandwidths for the HLS streams in the iPlayer WWW Settings.
inputstream.adapative needs the numbers in bits so 5.5Mbps is 5500000 unless it is in binary megabytes.
It depends whether the number was specified by engineers or marketers. Wink

These are my default settings should they be tweaked, BBC One buffers, BBC One North West doesn't buffer, is BBC One a higher resolution?:-

(2017-04-30, 09:26)Jeffers24 Wrote: These are my default settings should they be tweaked, BBC One buffers, BBC One North West doesn't buffer, is BBC One a higher resolution?:-

The local streams are at a lower resolution than the national stations.
You can see the details if you press o when the video is playing.
There is more bandwidth and resolution information in the Jarvis osd if you still have one setup somewhere.

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - padget624 - 2017-04-30

Thanks for all the help, guys, but the new update for the iPlayer is still give me the same error. I have no idea what to do now.

(2017-04-30, 12:17)padget624 Wrote: Thanks for all the help, guys, but the new update for the iPlayer is still give me the same error. I have no idea what to do now.

If you are on Android 4.4.2 or similar on your MXQ box with Kodi Jarvis 16.1:

Check you have iPlayer WWW 2.5.13 installed from the main Kodi repo.
iPlayer WWW \ right click \ Information

Settings \ Streams \ Do not use HTTPS streams = On
Settings \ Streams \ CDN Source = Akamai
Settings \ Streams \ Play stream automatically...= Off

Select a catchup program: eg Eastenders.
Are there any streams listed?
Do they play?

If they do you can probably turn on autoplay.

If they don't report back.

(2017-04-30, 09:26)Jeffers24 Wrote: These are my default settings should they be tweaked, BBC One buffers, BBC One North West doesn't buffer, is BBC One a higher resolution?:-

Here are some bandwidth and resolution settings for BBC One and BBC One London HLS streams which might help you find the right setting for the adaptive ones.
I'm not sure if they are truely maximum bitrates or target.bitrates.

BBC One [5509880 bps] 1280x720
BBC One [3116400 bps] 960x540
BBC One [1835920 bps] 960x540
BBC One [1012300 bps] 704x396

BBC One London [1802000 bps] 960x540
BBC One London [978380 bps] 704x396
BBC One London [564980 bps] 512x288
BBC One London [348740 bps] 384x216
BBC One London [216240 bps] 256x144
BBC One London [116600 bps] 192x108

RE: New plugin "iPlayer WWW" - padget624 - 2017-05-01

(2017-04-30, 12:27)primaeval Wrote:
(2017-04-30, 12:17)padget624 Wrote: Thanks for all the help, guys, but the new update for the iPlayer is still give me the same error. I have no idea what to do now.

If you are on Android 4.4.2 or similar on your MXQ box with Kodi Jarvis 16.1:

Check you have iPlayer WWW 2.5.13 installed from the main Kodi repo.
iPlayer WWW \ right click \ Information

Settings \ Streams \ Do not use HTTPS streams = On
Settings \ Streams \ CDN Source = Akamai
Settings \ Streams \ Play stream automatically...= Off

Select a catchup program: eg Eastenders.
Are there any streams listed?
Do they play?

If they do you can probably turn on autoplay.

If they don't report back.

It worked!! Thank you so much, I really appreciate the trouble everyone's taken to help me!