Kodi Community Forum
minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR (/showthread.php?tid=354201)

Pages: 1 2

minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-06

what is the minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR without external GPU hardware decoding?

Also would a i5-4570 be able to do this?

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - the_other_guy - 2020-05-06

(2020-05-06, 03:12)madmax2 Wrote: what is the minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR without external GPU hardware decoding?

i5-4570 be able to do this? you would need a good videocard skylake will do 8bit
https://androidpctv.com/review-amd-ryzen-5-3400g-opinion/

Video results
Formats Result
h.264 / 1080i / 8bit OK
h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit OK
h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime) OK
h.265 / 1080p / 8bit OK
h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime) OK
h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR OK
VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit OK
VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR OK
VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR Frameskip

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-06

(2020-05-06, 03:40)the_other_guy Wrote:
(2020-05-06, 03:12)madmax2 Wrote: what is the minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR without external GPU hardware decoding?

i5-4570 be able to do this? you would need a good videocard skylake will do 8bit
https://androidpctv.com/review-amd-ryzen-5-3400g-opinion/

Video results
Formats Result
h.264 / 1080i / 8bit OK
h.264 / 1080p / 4K / 8bit OK
h.264 / 1080p / 10bit (anime) OK
h.265 / 1080p / 8bit OK
h.265 / 1080p / 10bit (anime) OK
h.265 / 4K / 10bit HDR OK
VP9 P1 / 4K / 8bit OK
VP9 P2 / 4K / 10bit HDR OK
VP9 P2 / 8K / 10bit HDR Frameskip   
so I need at least a cpu after skylake, ie Kaby Lake or at lease ryzen-5-3400g to playback this file smoothly?

I don't really see much 4k 8 bit HEVC HDR files but they are more often to be 10 bit so I need a cpu that can do this without needing to buy an external GPU

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - PANiCnz - 2020-05-06

Once Linux get HDR support Gemini Lake will be able to do what you want. Intel nerfs driver in Windows so no HDR in Windows.

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-06

(2020-05-06, 07:52)PANiCnz Wrote: Once Linux get HDR support Gemini Lake will be able to do what you want. Intel nerfs driver in Windows so no HDR in Windows.

is this SOC used in NUCs or something?

If I want to play it now should I just buy a kaby lake cpu?
it needs to work in windows 10 preferably

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - Topken - 2020-05-09

(2020-05-06, 07:52)PANiCnz Wrote: Once Linux get HDR support Gemini Lake will be able to do what you want. Intel nerfs driver in Windows so no HDR in Windows.

What about Apollo Lake? I have a N3450 based laptop running linux on it 32gb emmc storage since that is garbage size for Windows these days

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - Klojum - 2020-05-09

I wouldn't hold my breath for the older chipsets as far as HDR goes.

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - PANiCnz - 2020-05-09

(2020-05-06, 07:56)madmax2 Wrote:

The NUC7PJYH and NUC7CJYH are both Gemini Lake. Not sure I'd want to run Windows on them, the performance isn't there, plus no HDR. You seem deadset on x86 so just buy and i3 or i5 NUC. Kodi isn't that resource intensive so should run fine on either.

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-09

(2020-05-09, 04:51)PANiCnz Wrote:
(2020-05-06, 07:56)madmax2 Wrote:

The NUC7PJYH and NUC7CJYH are both Gemini Lake. Not sure I'd want to run Windows on them, the performance isn't there, plus no HDR. You seem deadset on x86 so just buy and i3 or i5 NUC. Kodi isn't that resource intensive so should run fine on either.  
Not dead set on x86

I actually got a pi3b and it struggles even playing 1080p 10bit hevc

I would get the pi4 if I know for certain it can playback 4k 10 bit hevc HDR

From what I seen it is still struggling with some 4k content
I don't know if this a hardware issue of the pi4  or cos the software is in early stages..

So as it stands, I can keep waiting to see what is happening with pi 4
or look get a x86 htpc

I could look at the android boxes but I read they tend to get slower updates
and sometimes the update causes issues
Also they would eventually stop getting newer android updates after a while
unlike an x86 pc or the pi 4.

So what is the minimum cpu of intel or amd that can do this?p
I can build a new htpc but that would cost more money than just get one of them second hand dell or lenova PCs
if those CPU's are capable of playing back these files

But I need to know what the minimum CPU that can do this

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-09

(2020-05-09, 04:06)Klojum Wrote: I wouldn't hold my breath for the older chipsets as far as HDR goes.
there are dell and lenova pcs on the secondhand market
so what is the of last known chipset or CPU that can do this (not the newer intel or amd etc)

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - noggin - 2020-05-09

(2020-05-09, 07:23)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 04:51)PANiCnz Wrote:
(2020-05-06, 07:56)madmax2 Wrote: is this SOC used in NUCs or something?

Not dead set on x86

I don't know if this a hardware issue of the pi4  or cos the software is in early stages..

or look get a x86 htpc

I can build a new htpc but that would cost more money than just get one of them second hand dell or lenova PCs

Or you could go for an AMLogic S922X (Odroid N2 or similar spec box) or AMLogic S905X3 (ODroid C4 or similar spec box)

These ARM boxes running CoreElec (rathe than Android) will support HEVC/h.265 2160p60 decode, HDR10 (and now 10+) output, HDR->SDR conversion (always a compromise but good to have), decent deinterlacing and HD Audio bit streaming.  The S922X also plays a lot of 1080p Netflix and Prime Video content I believe - though this isn't guaranteed functionality.

At the moment, if 4K content is a thing for you, then they outperform the Pi 4B considerably. They play pretty much every mainstream codec you can throw at them.

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-09, 09:07)noggin Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 07:23)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 04:51)PANiCnz Wrote: The NUC7PJYH and NUC7CJYH are both Gemini Lake. Not sure I'd want to run Windows on them, the performance isn't there, plus no HDR. You seem deadset on x86 so just buy and i3 or i5 NUC. Kodi isn't that resource intensive so should run fine on either.    
Not dead set on x86

or look get a x86 htpc

Or you could go for an AMLogic S922X (Odroid N2 or similar spec box) or AMLogic S905X3 (ODroid C4 or similar spec box)

These ARM boxes running CoreElec (rathe than Android) will support HEVC/h.265 2160p60 decode, HDR10 (and now 10+) output, HDR->SDR conversion (always a compromise but good to have), decent deinterlacing and HD Audio bit streaming.  The S922X also plays a lot of 1080p Netflix and Prime Video content I believe - though this isn't guaranteed functionality.

At the moment, if 4K content is a thing for you, then they outperform the Pi 4B considerably. They play pretty much every mainstream codec you can throw at them.  
which ones out of those chipset is the best or newer?
do you have links for some of the android boxes that I can buy that can do this?

what about the nvidia shield and shield pro 2020, can that play these files smoothly?

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - wrxtasy - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 09:20)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 09:07)noggin Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 07:23)madmax2 Wrote: Not dead set on x86

or look get a x86 htpc

do you have links for some of the android boxes that I can buy that can do this?

The most powerful ones we are talking about are devices like the HardKernel ODROID N2 & Ugoos AM6 - both have S922X AMLogic chipsets in them.
If you wanted to - there is enough raw CPU grunt under the 6 Core CPU hood that you can Software decode 1080p anything. That's Intel i series NUC territory.

Then there is also the cheaper S905X3 chipset - ODROID C4 and the Ugoos X3 Cube, which are still very capable.

I mention those Brand names because they have the same high quality hardware componentry in every device, not some generic components throw together in what turned out to be cheapest available for the specific production run available in Shenzhen China at the time.

Plus you will get properly designed & tested passive thermal cooling solutions, that will be reliable long term.

All of those have Gigabit LAN, essential for home network 4K HDR Bluray Rip streaming.

The reason why we are banging on about these new AMLogic chipset devices, running CoreELEC Kodi (click) is because:

a) The provide great bang for the buck for 4K HDR + HD audio Kodi usage - and are pretty damn snappy as well for the price paid.
b) Firmware and Software support from the CoreELEC guys is great, you even get auto OTA updates.
c) The AML / CE Kodi combo is reliable and it just works. Hardware decoding virtually anything you want to throw at it. Set and Forget.
d) HDMI CEC control that is also highly configurable from within Kodi.
e) CE Kodi is optimised to run Kodi as fast, smooth and stable as possible. You also get extra custom Kodi features added.

Quote:what about the nvidia shield and shield pro 2020, can that play these files smoothly?

Yes virtually all stuff, but it has a 2015 era 4 Core CPU package (other 4 cores disabled), so any tricky stuff that needs Software decoding may not work that well.
There is no HDR10+ support or VP9p2 hardware decoding possible at all.
With the Shield you are also dealing with Google Android OS updates, which with each OS Bump - seems to not go that smoothly.

The Shield is a bit of a jack of all trades media player, but master of none. Android Fanboys love them, but there are some rough edges that annoy the hell out of users.
CoreELEC Kodi can be thought of as a scalpel, designed from the ground up to run Kodi as fast, smooth and stable as possible.

It really depends on what you actually need personally and how demanding a user you are.

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - madmax2 - 2020-05-10

(2020-05-10, 10:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 09:20)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-05-09, 09:07)noggin Wrote: Or you could go for an AMLogic S922X (Odroid N2 or similar spec box) or AMLogic S905X3 (ODroid C4 or similar spec box)

The most powerful ones we are talking about are devices like the HardKernel ODROID N2 & Ugoos AM6 - both have S922X AMLogic chipsets in them.
If you wanted to - there is enough raw CPU grunt under the 6 Core CPU hood that you can Software decode 1080p anything. That's Intel i series NUC territory.

Then there is also the cheaper S905X3 chipset - ODROID C4 and the Ugoos X3 Cube, which are still very capable.

I mention those Brand names because they have the same high quality hardware componentry in every device, not some generic components throw together in what turned out to be cheapest available for the specific production run available in Shenzhen China at the time.

Plus you will get properly designed & tested passive thermal cooling solutions, that will be reliable long term.

All of those have Gigabit LAN, essential for home network 4K HDR Bluray Rip streaming.

The reason why we are banging on about these new AMLogic chipset devices, running CoreELEC Kodi (click) is because:

a) The provide great bang for the buck for 4K HDR + HD audio Kodi usage - and are pretty damn snappy as well for the price paid.
b) Firmware and Software support from the CoreELEC guys is great, you even get auto OTA updates.
c) The AML / CE Kodi combo is reliable and it just works. Hardware decoding virtually anything you want to throw at it. Set and Forget.
e) CE Kodi is optimised to run Kodi as fast, smooth and stable as possible. You also get extra custom Kodi features added.
Quote:what about the nvidia shield and shield pro 2020, can that play these files smoothly?

Yes virtually all stuff, but it has a 2015 era 4 Core CPU package (other 4 cores disabled), so any tricky stuff that needs Software decoding may not work that well.
With the Shield you are also dealing with Google Android OS updates, which with each OS Bump - seems to not go that smoothly.

The Shield is a bit of a jack of all trades media player, but master of none. Android Fanboys love them, but there are some rough edges that annoy the hell out of users.
CoreELEC Kodi can be thought of as a scalpel, designed from the ground up to run Kodi as fast, smooth and stable as possible.

It really depends on what you actually need personally and how demanding a user you are. 

What about in terms of HTPC..
what is the lowest CPU do you recommend that can do this?

Also is there any second hand dell or lenova SFF PCs etc that can do this? 

I like to consider all options...

RE: minimum intel/amd cpu that can play 4k HEVC 10 bit HDR - wrxtasy - 2020-05-11

(2020-05-10, 23:17)madmax2 Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 10:07)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 09:20)madmax2 Wrote: which ones out of those chipset is the best or newer?

What about in terms of HTPC..
what is the lowest CPU do you recommend that can do this?

Also is there any second hand dell or lenova SFF PCs etc that can do this? 

I like to consider all options...

From the - 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations - sticky at the top of the forum... follow the links...

That is where all the HDR info resides...

Intel x86_64
NEW - 4K HDR support Now available with Windows and Kodi v19 using THIS ongoing development build (click) & there is also another - independant - Kodi Matrix 19.0 HDR Windows API build available HERE (click)