Kodi Community Forum
Media player advice - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Media player advice (/showthread.php?tid=355005)

Media player advice - oggie - 2020-06-06

Need some opinions please.

For my old non smart 1080p tv i has 2017 Nvidia Shield. Was great as had everything that I needed on it, don't watch normal tv so shield was ideal for non smart tv.

Couple of weeks ago i upgraded my tv to LG C9, along with that I purchased new 2019 Nvidia Shield as thought it would be ideal for 4K media play. Well after owning C9 i have realized that tv itself has all the apps I need on it except Kodi. Now while Kodi on shield is great if only watching 1080p or non HDR media but getting it to play HDR correctly has been a nightmare. Getting it to display correct colour space, refresh rate and 10bit output is almost impossible ....... throw in Dolby Vision into that and its become a nightmare which I've given up on to be honest.

Now I would like to know what my option are. I'm ready to use TV's own aps but need device for Kodi. Done a bit of reading up and Odroid 2 looks like a good option. I've had Libreelec on s805 boxes before so I understand a bit how coreelec might work.

Have some questions though :

1. Will I be able to use LG tv remote to control N2 ? It will be plugged in Denon avr-x2500H (has arc).
2. Will it be able to play 40gb 4K 10bit HDR remux files from my NAS without problems. Ok to fast forward movies without movie freezing ?
3. Does it do auto colour space and refresh rate switching ?
4. Any other problems I might encounter with N2 that I might have missed out ? 

Thank you for all your help, also is there any other option out there I should look at please let me know Smile

RE: Media player advice - wrxtasy - 2020-06-06

(2020-06-06, 16:35)oggie Wrote: Need some opinions please.

For my old non smart 1080p tv i has 2017 Nvidia Shield. Was great as had everything that I needed on it, don't watch normal tv so shield was ideal for non smart tv.

Couple of weeks ago i upgraded my tv to LG C9, along with that I purchased new 2019 Nvidia Shield as thought it would be ideal for 4K media play. Well after owning C9 i have realized that tv itself has all the apps I need on it except Kodi. Now while Kodi on shield is great if only watching 1080p or non HDR media but getting it to play HDR correctly has been a nightmare. Getting it to display correct colour space, refresh rate and 10bit output is almost impossible ....... throw in Dolby Vision into that and its become a nightmare which I've given up on to be honest.

Hi,

A lot of non gaming people especially, are coming to that same realisation after they buy a modern Premium Smart TV's with them finally having a decent, fast and pretty well supported Smart TV OS for widespread Apps usage onboard. Recent LG OLED Apps pretty much tick every box going.

My Apple TV 4K as well does not get as much mainstream Apps usage since I bought a snappy Premium Panasonic OLED.

Quote:Have some (ODROID N2) questions though :

1. Will I be able to use LG tv remote to control N2 ? It will be plugged in Denon avr-x2500H (has arc).
2. Will it be able to play 40gb 4K 10bit HDR remux files from my NAS without problems. Ok to fast forward movies without movie freezing ?

Thank you for all your help, also is there any other option out there I should look at please let me know Smile

1. Maybe Yes - because HDMI CEC compatibility is a BIG CAN OF WORMS no matter what device you use.
However the CoreELEC devs. have done a bunch of CEC bootloader bug busting and Linux Kodi releses like CoreELEC has many additional CEC user configurable options inside Kodi settings available.

2. Yes with a Gigabit Ethernet equipped AMLogic chipset device you will have no problems.
I never FFWD or RWD - but use Kodi's much quicker user programmable Skip steps with a responsive Wireless remote.
(Hint simply delete the +10sec one in Video setting and then 3 right pressings on remote = 3 minutes skip, 2 = 1 minute Skip and 1 = 30 seconds = easy to remember)

3. It does Auto Everything out of the Box - no need to fiddle around in Display settings unless you really want to. Simply Enable HD audio passthru.

4. Get a WeChip G20S or G30 - Plug n Play - USB mini dongle - Wireless remote. It will be more responsive vs using HDMI CEC.
HardKernel 16GB eMMC is also recommended (& eMMC / USB3 adapter)

W.

RE: Media player advice - User 99401 - 2020-06-06

(2020-06-06, 18:52)wrxtasy Wrote:

Hi,

A lot of non gaming people especially, are coming to that same realisation after they buy a modern Premium Smart TV's with them finally having a decent, fast and pretty well supported Smart TV OS for widespread Apps usage onboard. Recent LG OLED Apps pretty much tick every box going.

My Apple TV 4K as well does not get as much mainstream Apps usage since I bought a snappy Premium Panasonic OLED.

1. Maybe Yes - because HDMI CEC compatibility is a BIG CAN OF WORMS no matter what device you use.
However the CoreELEC devs. have done a bunch of CEC bootloader bug busting and Linux Kodi releses like CoreELEC has many additional CEC user configurable options inside Kodi settings available.

2. Yes with a Gigabit Ethernet equipped AMLogic chipset device you will have no problems.
I never FFWD or RWD - but use Kodi's much quicker user programmable Skip steps with a responsive Wireless remote.
(Hint simply delete the +10sec one in Video setting and then 3 right pressings on remote = 3 minutes skip, 2 = 1 minute Skip and 1 = 30 seconds = easy to remember)

3. It does Auto Everything out of the Box - no need to fiddle around in Display settings unless you really want to. Simply Enable HD audio passthru.

4. Get a WeChip G20S or G30 - Plug n Play - USB mini dongle - Wireless remote. It will be more responsive vs using HDMI CEC.

W.
on #2 - a new owner of Odoid N2 4Gb (future proof approach, rather than today's need) running Kodi / CE on eMMC, connected to Sony ATV.
Just finished watching a movie. 4K HEVC HDR remux 93Gb from NAS connected to the Odroid via a 1Gb hub - amazing, smooth nothing more you can ask.
Even tested on a USB3 drive connected to the NAS and it is smooth.
After dreadful 3 years of trying Kodi Android on my Sony, I gave up and moved to Linux. Never going back...
Using CEC btw, disabled all wake up, suspend etc. (I keep things always on but the TV) - works well!!
Forgot to add - followed the warm recomendations of @wrxtasy !! !!!

RE: Media player advice - oggie - 2020-06-06

Hi,

W.
Thank for all the information, much appreciated !! Will order WeChip G20S in case CEC is no good. Think will order Coreelec Edition 4GB with 16GB eMMC as its just plug and play with no messing about.

RE: Media player advice - oggie - 2020-06-06

(2020-06-06, 21:45)Shanyel Wrote:

Hi,

W.
on #2 - a new owner of Odoid N2 4Gb (future proof approach, rather than today's need) running Kodi / CE on eMMC, connected to Sony ATV.
Just finished watching a movie. 4K HEVC HDR remux 93Gb from NAS connected to the Odroid via a 1Gb hub - amazing, smooth nothing more you can ask.
Even tested on a USB3 drive connected to the NAS and it is smooth.
After dreadful 3 years of trying Kodi Android on my Sony, I gave up and moved to Linux. Never going back...
Using CEC btw, disabled all wake up, suspend etc. (I keep things always on but the TV) - works well!!
Forgot to add - followed the warm recomendations of @wrxtasy !! !!!
Ah glad it all works, great to hear as it seems you were in same situation as me.

RE: Media player advice - oggie - 2020-06-07

@wrxtasy any difference between G20 and G20S ? G20 on sale at the moment on Gearbest and G20S seems to be hard to find.

RE: Media player advice - wrxtasy - 2020-06-07

(2020-06-07, 13:25)oggie Wrote: @wrxtasy any difference between G20 and G20S ? G20 on sale at the moment on Gearbest and G20S seems to be hard to find.
I believe one of them has user programmable Infra Red learning capabilities.

@clarkss12 knows all about these WeChip's. I belive he is a fan of the G30 actually. I rekon this is him.... Wink

(2020-06-07, 13:39)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 13:25)oggie Wrote: @wrxtasy any difference between G20 and G20S ? G20 on sale at the moment on Gearbest and G20S seems to be hard to find.
I believe one of them has user programmable Infra Red learning capabilities.

@clarkss12 knows all about these WeChip's. I belive he is a fan of the G30 actually. I rekon this is him.... Wink

Remote control connoisseur Big Grin  , like his collection ! Gonna order G30 after watching that video. Thanks for getting back to me, much appreciated.

RE: Media player advice - clarkss12 - 2020-06-07

There are two versions of this remote, one with the "S" and one without........The one with the "S" has programmable IR buttons, so look closely.  I have 3 of them and they were less than $10 USD each.

RE: Media player advice - hdmkv - 2020-06-07

Thanks @clarkss12, ordered 2 via the seller you linked to under your YT video. A couple others are cheaper, but their ratings are lower. Used PayPal (small fee, but safer) & came out to $11.56 shipped per remote for me.

All ordered, will let you know how it goes. Thanks again for your help !

RE: Media player advice - oggie - 2020-06-16

I'm still waiting for my N2 to be shipped out as its out of stock. Any other devices I should look at or should I just wait it out ? They said it should be back in stock in couple of weeks.

RE: Media player advice - ozkhan1 - 2020-06-17

That a butt ugly remote, sorry to say.. haha... I’m sure it works better than it looks..