Kodi Community Forum
Req Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Feature Requests (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Req Add option for Android to play videos with screen off (/showthread.php?tid=355093)

Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - nintendoeats - 2020-06-10

I asked if this was possible a week ago, and got no answer. I am therefore assuming that it is not.

I would like to play videos on my phone with the screen off and the touch controls disabled, basically a "music mode".

That's it, thanks!

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - Klojum - 2020-06-10

(2020-06-10, 22:58)nintendoeats Wrote: I asked if this was possible a week ago, and got no answer. I am therefore assuming that it is not.

Looking at my own phone apps, none of the video apps have the ability to fully turn off the screen, while the music-only apps can run in the background with the screen off.
It's also not a logical function to have, unless a user perhaps is blind or otherwise visually impaired.

If it's possible? I'm sure with the right amount of bells and whistles, it could be possible.
Is it worth the effort to do this for such a very, very small minority of users. Probably not.

But, I don't know what's necessary to accomplish this. Maybe it's something simple, maybe it requires some deep changes.

And yes... Sometimes there is no simple answer, and no reply will follow.

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - nintendoeats - 2020-06-10

Oh, I'm not complaining that nobody replied. I just wanted to express that  had already asked, lest somebody popped up and said "we already have this".

I pretty regularly "watch" youtube in the kitchen with the screen off, which newpipe allows. In this case, I am moving around a lot between different rooms so I can't focus on a screen, but I would like to "watch" some TV shows that are fine without video (Law & Order on this occasion). This is my use case.

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - djay75 - 2020-07-26

I have the opposite suggestion. Kodi plays in the background on my firestick. I want to bring to the foreground on play on android esp for video.

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - Tobby - 2020-07-27

I just tested this using Tasker. Instead of actually turning off the screen I put a black overlay on top of the app that closes when you tap it. The video stream will still be active in the background which isn't ideal for battery usage, but it's better than having the screen displaying the video.

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - lanke - 2021-01-20

Hi, i know what you are looking for.
It used to work on my previous phone. Listening to series to help me sleep with the screen off. It doesn't work anymore, but i have figured out a way for it to work, at least for me.
I use ororo daily, what i do is that I choose my serie, press and hold the episode until the submenu shows, in my case i choose "play from here'. With the finger on my other hand i am ready to turn my screen of right after i have clicked " play from here".
Right before it starts running the circles for loading.
Works lika a charm and plays all episodes in that season!

RE: Add option for Android to play videos with screen off - aimaim - 2021-08-22

Mx Player has background playback (needs to ne activated in options). If kodi supports external players, this might be a way to go.