Kodi Community Forum
Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Discussions (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=222)
+--- Forum: Hardware (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=112)
+--- Thread: Android "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI (/showthread.php?tid=357396)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - bibbyboi - 2020-11-25

(2020-11-25, 10:11)noggin Wrote:
(2020-11-25, 07:35)bibbyboi Wrote: Sorry if this has been answered already but I searched and I didn't come up with anything. I can't get kodi to have a 4k resolution in the Kodi system display settings and I have a 4k tv. Is there something I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

For some reason the reported settings to Kodi from the Android TV OS are always 1080p60 I think.  However the system settings do seem to apply in frame rate terms (i.e. if you set the OS to 50Hz and play a 50Hz video you get 50Hz playback, even though Kodi reports the resolution as 60Hz). I've not tested whether the same is true for resolution by using a 4K test pattern with a sensible multi burst or similar resolution test yet.
Thank you. I looked through this whole thread and that's what I think they were writing earlier but I wasn't that sure. I've used Kodi on several different Android boxes and never seen that before.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - surge919 - 2020-11-30

Does the Chromecast not support TrueHD passthrough?

With Allow passthrough set to On, the option "TrueHD capable receiver" doesn't appear in the menu (shows up on my Nvidia Shield)

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - wrxtasy - 2020-12-01

This CCGTV WiFi & Network stability / connectivity issue must now be featured as a pre purchase Buyer Beware warning:
https://support.google.com/chromecast/thread/82463526?hl=en

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - fritsch - 2020-12-01

(2020-11-30, 16:39)surge919 Wrote: Does the Chromecast not support TrueHD passthrough?

With Allow passthrough set to On, the option "TrueHD capable receiver" doesn't appear in the menu (shows up on my Nvidia Shield)

No.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Steini - 2020-12-02

(2020-10-09, 22:45)foxbat121 Wrote:
(2020-10-09, 22:39)flips22 Wrote: I'm struggling with 4k video on my setup.  Almost all of the files I've tried aren't working at all, displaying a frame a second or so.  I tested some 4k demo files and I'm getting the same results.  I thought I would share and see if it is just me, or if it's just a hardware limitation.  Initially I thought it was network bandwidth, but switching to ethernet didn't improve anything.

I tested 3 4k demos, the AVC file (Dubai) played the best, but I still got a buffering circle every 20-30 seconds or so.  The other two HEVC files barely played at all.  With my other files I played around with audio streams thinking it might be an audio issue, but I didn't have any luck there either.

I should also mention that my TV is 1080p, not sure if that is having an effect or not.

Thanks,
flips22

The details of the files I tested are below:
https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=57878
sony-pictures-4k-movies1-(www.demolandia.net).mkv

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main [email protected]@high
HDR format                               : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 3 s
Bit rate                                 : 43.0 Mb/s

https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=64388452

dolby-chameleon-lossless-uhd-(www.demolandia.net).m2ts

Video #1
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 1 min 2 s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits

https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=60876578

samsung-uhd-dubai-(www.demolandia.net).mkv

Video
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 46 s

I encountered the exact same thing, only on 1080p TVs. All 4K files (UHD rips) play just fine on 4K TVs even if I set output resolution to 1080p. But on any 1080p TV, this is exactly what happened. Something isn't right. Among my 4K rips, only one file played fine without issues. I can't think of any difference between that file and other files.

Did you ever figure this out or is the only hope that this will be fixed in Android 11?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - foxbat121 - 2020-12-02

(2020-12-02, 01:14)Steini Wrote:
(2020-10-09, 22:45)foxbat121 Wrote:
(2020-10-09, 22:39)flips22 Wrote: I'm struggling with 4k video on my setup.  Almost all of the files I've tried aren't working at all, displaying a frame a second or so.  I tested some 4k demo files and I'm getting the same results.  I thought I would share and see if it is just me, or if it's just a hardware limitation.  Initially I thought it was network bandwidth, but switching to ethernet didn't improve anything.

I tested 3 4k demos, the AVC file (Dubai) played the best, but I still got a buffering circle every 20-30 seconds or so.  The other two HEVC files barely played at all.  With my other files I played around with audio streams thinking it might be an audio issue, but I didn't have any luck there either.

I should also mention that my TV is 1080p, not sure if that is having an effect or not.

Thanks,
flips22

The details of the files I tested are below:
https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=57878
sony-pictures-4k-movies1-(www.demolandia.net).mkv

Video
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEGH/ISO/HEVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 3 s

https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=64388452

dolby-chameleon-lossless-uhd-(www.demolandia.net).m2ts

Video #1
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Codec ID                                 : 36
Duration                                 : 1 min 2 s
Width                                    : 3 840 pixels
Height                                   : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 (24000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth                                : 10 bits

https://www.demolandia.net/downloads.html?id=60876578

samsung-uhd-dubai-(www.demolandia.net).mkv

Video
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : [email protected]
Format settings                          : CABAC / 4 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration                                 : 1 min 46 s

I encountered the exact same thing, only on 1080p TVs. All 4K files (UHD rips) play just fine on 4K TVs even if I set output resolution to 1080p. But on any 1080p TV, this is exactly what happened. Something isn't right. Among my 4K rips, only one file played fine without issues. I can't think of any difference between that file and other files.

Did you ever figure this out or is the only hope that this will be fixed in Android 11?
I don't think it has anything to do with Android OS. Something weird is going on but I have up and didn't try to use it with my 2K TVs anymore because I found even cheaper options for those 2K TVs, the Dynalink Android TV box.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - sylvio2000 - 2020-12-04

I now have a GCGTV too.
What I have seen so far is, that the picture quality is really bad compared to my ATV4K. Is here somebody who can confirm this? The biggest difference I could see with prime video "Malcom in the middle".

How is the picture quality in comparison to the nvidia shield TV?

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - ikarione - 2020-12-04

(2020-12-04, 14:06)sylvio2000 Wrote: I now have a GCGTV too.
What I have seen so far is, that the picture quality is really bad compared to my ATV4K. Is here somebody who can confirm this? The biggest difference I could see with prime video "Malcom in the middle".

How is the picture quality in comparison to the nvidia shield TV?
Malcom in the middle is an old series .... probably ATV4K has a better upscaling? Do you see difference in 4K content?
I saw a lot of comparison videos and nothing about differences in visual quality.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - noggin - 2020-12-05

If Malcolm in the Middle is an SD series, and Prime stream it in SD - and you are watching it at 4K or HD resolutions - then @silvio2000 you are likely comparing the different upscaling qualities of the platforms.  The ATV 4K is well regarded for its upscaling quality, and the Shield TV has some AI processing in its upscaling (some people like this, others say it can look a bit like artificial sharpening).

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Tamas.Toth.ebola - 2020-12-16

Hi!

I'm a little bit new at Kodi (especially on Android more specially on Chromecast with Google TV) although I used 'XBMC' some years ago on Intel desktop. Sorry if my question was answered before but I simply can not find it.

Some days ago I installed Kodi onto my GCGTV just to check what are the limits of the construction.

1. I got the following audio passthrough to my Pioneer receiver: DD; DD+; DTS; multichannel PCM (for me it's nice as I could not passthrough high-def LPCM for music listening but could see movies for with me almost fine possibilities as my receiver could not handle Dolby TrueHD yet)
2. DTS-HD; DTS-X is one another thing as seemed I just got plain DTS passthrough instead those 'wider' ones (as if somebody also already wrote this)
3. 1080p 8bit h264 decoding was fine (from .MKV or .MP4 containers)
4. 1080p 8bit h265 decoding also was fine
5. 4k 8bit h265 decoding also was fine
6. But 4k 10bit h265 decoding was 'broken' (very slow rendering (1-2 frame per sec or slower) with lot more banding than I got with 8bit streams and also lot more than I got with alternate method (below))

Practically this is not problem for me now as my TV is one old Samsung - 55D7000 without any HDR possibilities, but interestingly if I cast with BubbleUPnP to this GCGTV seems it works. When I cast it with BubbleUPnP GCGTV seems can handle the stream. At this point I don't care about the quality or of any other aspect of the result, the only interesting thing that in this case GCGTV can handle the stream with full framerate. With Kodi directly on the GCGTV the result is a very slow, and overloaded result.

Could anybody help me, what I do wrong?

Thanks for your efforts in advance!

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - crawfish - 2020-12-17

Google's sending me a free one "in the color Snow" due to me being "a longtime friend of YouTube TV." Check your email peeps!

ETA: And it's legit free. No shipping, no tax.

ETA2: They've been doing this for a few days. Why am I only hearing about it now? I'm better connected than that. lol

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - SEIKT - 2020-12-17

(2020-12-16, 20:25)Tamas.Toth.ebola Wrote: Hi!

I'm a little bit new at Kodi (especially on Android more specially on Chromecast with Google TV) although I used 'XBMC' some years ago on Intel desktop. Sorry if my question was answered before but I simply can not find it.

Some days ago I installed Kodi onto my GCGTV just to check what are the limits of the construction.

1. I got the following audio passthrough to my Pioneer receiver: DD; DD+; DTS; multichannel PCM (for me it's nice as I could not passthrough high-def LPCM for music listening but could see movies for with me almost fine possibilities as my receiver could not handle Dolby TrueHD yet)
2. DTS-HD; DTS-X is one another thing as seemed I just got plain DTS passthrough instead those 'wider' ones (as if somebody also already wrote this)
6. But 4k 10bit h265 decoding was 'broken' (very slow rendering (1-2 frame per sec or slower) with lot more banding than I got with 8bit streams and also lot more than I got with alternate method (below))

Practically this is not problem for me now as my TV is one old Samsung - 55D7000 without any HDR possibilities, but interestingly if I cast with BubbleUPnP to this GCGTV seems it works. When I cast it with BubbleUPnP GCGTV seems can handle the stream. At this point I don't care about the quality or of any other aspect of the result, the only interesting thing that in this case GCGTV can handle the stream with full framerate. With Kodi directly on the GCGTV the result is a very slow, and overloaded result.

Yeah 4k HEVC content run like utter crap in Kodi on the Chromecast from my experience. The only solution I found to stop Kodi from stuttering upon playback was to disable "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface)" in the player settings. This made 4K videos watchable but their framerate isn't the best. Disabling this option also has adverse effects, for instance, a 480P episode was unwatchable with this setting disabled.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Dave 130R - 2020-12-17

(2020-12-17, 06:58)SEIKT Wrote:

Yeah 4k HEVC content run like utter crap in Kodi on the Chromecast from my experience. The only solution I found to stop Kodi from stuttering upon playback was to disable "Allow hardware acceleration - MediaCodec (Surface)" in the player settings. This made 4K videos watchable but their framerate isn't the best. Disabling this option also has adverse effects, for instance, a 480P episode was unwatchable with this setting disabled.

A bit off-topic but I also had to disable MediaCodec (Surface) on my 2015 Shield with MrMC, 1080P x264 files wouldn’t even play stutter free.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - SEIKT - 2020-12-17

(2020-12-17, 14:56)Dave 130R Wrote:

A bit off-topic but I also had to disable MediaCodec (Surface) on my 2015 Shield with MrMC, 1080P x264 files wouldn’t even play stutter free.

It's strange. Unsure if it's a hardware issue or OS issue. I have an Android box with an older CPU (S905D) and it can handle 4K without breaking a sweat. No need to disable anything in Kodi for it to work. I also bought an X96 Air and it's default ROM has no issues playing back 4K stuff without having to disable anything. Would be humorous if it's a stuff up in the Chromecast OS code considering Google develops Android.

RE: "Google Chromecast with Google TV" dongle with a new "Google TV" ecosystem and UI - Tamas.Toth.ebola - 2020-12-18

Thanks for your confirmation, in case my result is not my fault. But over on it from my aspect it has a little bit more resolution about the problem as for me 4k HEVC not mandatory unwatchable. 8 bit 4k HEVC plays fine, but 10 bit is 'more' then stuttering. 10 bit is simply eat my GCGTV. I test it again some minutes ago and at the end I had needed to pull the power out as from it's menu I simply could not reach the restart or any other quick possibility to kill Kodi because Kodi's system overload.

But from another aspect the same 10 bit 4k HEVC plays fine on the same GCGTV if I cast from my Android phone through BubbleUPnP DLNA controller/streamer/whatever... When I cast with that the video decompression also made by the GCGTV itself as BubbleUPnP does not transcode (if I want it). So there is way when GCGTV can handle the same stream I think the mentioned stuttering result should be the problem of Kodi and not the hardware (or my false configuration).

What's your opinion?