Kodi Community Forum
Solved How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Solved How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? (/showthread.php?tid=357997)

Pages: 1 2 3

How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - simonmoon - 2020-10-27

I have a Nvidia Shield and it just auto-updated to 18.9, which seems to be fine. I would like to prevent future auto-updates of Kodi on the Shield, but the instructions I found to do that are no longer valid. I can turn off all updates, but that will eventually interfere with streaming service apps working properly or at all. I would like to be able to stop only Kodi from auto-updating. I am concerned Kodi will update to v19, and I use one add-on that hasn't worked with any of the Beta v19 versions  ( the Apple iTunes Podcasts add-on ). If I update xbmcswift2 the Apple iTunes Podcasts add-on also stops working with Kodi v18. Should I be concerned about v18.9 auto-updating to v19, and if so how do I prevent it.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - DarrenHill - 2020-10-27

Kodi itself doesn't auto-update at all (although it will notify you that an update is available if the version check addon is enabled, which it is by default), it would be handled by whatever source you're getting it from (Play Store usually for Android).

In Play Store you can set auto update or not for all apps, and you can also disable updates for individual apps. So look there or whatever the equivalent is on the shield.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - simonmoon - 2020-10-27

(2020-10-27, 10:27)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi itself doesn't auto-update at all (although it will notify you that an update is available if the version check addon is enabled, which it is by default), it would be handled by whatever source you're getting it from (Play Store usually for Android).

In Play Store you can set auto update or not for all apps, and you can also disable updates for individual apps. So look there or whatever the equivalent is on the shield.
When I go into the Google Play store and look in MyApps at Kodi there is no option to turn off updates. Apparently there was one in the past according to old directions. Nor can I find any options with the Kodi app in settings to individually turn off updates. I know this isn't a Kodi issue, but rather an Android issue. I was hoping someone here could tell me, if I'm missing something, or if there is a method or fix for this issue. I'll also try posting on the Shield Forum, but the Kodi forum seems to have a wider and more competent team to help.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - DarrenHill - 2020-10-27

On my Android device (not a Shield, and only running Nougat) I can do it as follows:
  • Open the Play Store.
  • Navigate to "My apps & games" via the hamburger menu in the top-left hand corner, and then select "Installed"
  • Scroll down to "Kodi" in the installed app list, and click on it (not the "open" button associated with it, but the app name/details).
  • You should now be on the main app page, with the "Uninstall" and "Open" buttons at the top - click on the three dots in the top-right hand corner.
  • At the bottom of the menu that appears should be the auto-update tick-box for the app - untick it.

Has your version of Play Store/Android got that, or has it been removed?

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Klojum - 2020-10-27

(2020-10-27, 11:02)simonmoon Wrote: When I go into the Google Play store and look in MyApps at Kodi there is no option to turn off updates.

Go to the Apps section, select the Gear icon for Settings, and there you will find the option to auto-update apps or not.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - simonmoon - 2020-10-27

(2020-10-27, 11:21)DarrenHill Wrote: On my Android device (not a Shield, and only running Nougat) I can do it as follows:

• Open the Play Store.
  • Navigate to "My apps & games" via the hamburger menu in the top-left hand corner, and then select "Installed"
  • Scroll down to "Kodi" in the installed app list, and click on it (not the "open" button associated with it, but the app name/details).
  • You should now be on the main app page, with the "Uninstall" and "Open" buttons at the top - click on the three dots in the top-right hand corner.
  • At the bottom of the menu that appears should be the auto-update tick-box for the app - untick it.

Has your version of Play Store/Android got that, or has it been removed?
That feature is not present on my Shield's version of Android TV.

(2020-10-27, 11:22)Klojum Wrote:
(2020-10-27, 11:02)simonmoon Wrote: When I go into the Google Play store and look in MyApps at Kodi there is no option to turn off updates.

Go to the Apps section, select the Gear icon for Settings, and there you will find the option to auto-update apps or not.
I was hoping to  just turn off auto-updates for just Kodi, but if there is no alternative, I can manually update apps as needed. I only use a few apps, so this seems like it will be fine. Thanks.

How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Klojum - 2020-10-27

Thread marked solved.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - 52pegg - 2021-02-22

(2020-10-27, 10:27)DarrenHill Wrote: Kodi itself doesn't auto-update at all (although it will notify you that an update is available if the version check addon is enabled, which it is by default), it would be handled by whatever source you're getting it from (Play Store usually for Android).

I have Nvidia shield and it DID auto update from v.18.9 to 19 and neither the build I had nor the add-ons on it are compatible. Forced to delete and re-install v.18.9 which is no biggie, but lost all my favorites. 😡

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Hitcher - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-22, 23:39)52pegg Wrote: I have Nvidia shield and it DID auto update from v.18.9 to 19

The Shield updated Kodi; not Kodi itself.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - wize7one - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-22, 23:39)52pegg Wrote:

I have Nvidia shield and it DID auto update from v.18.9 to 19 and neither the build I had nor the add-ons on it are compatible. Forced to delete and re-install v.18.9 which is no biggie, but lost all my favorites. 😡

Just ran into this same problem. And even if it was Android's doing to force update. It's still completely irresponsible to officially release 19, seeing how it is still incompatible with pretty much everything. Complete waste of time.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Hitcher - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-23, 05:21)wize7one Wrote: And even if it was Android's doing to force update. It's still completely irresponsible to officially release 19, seeing how it is still incompatible with pretty much everything.

Addon developers have had 3 years to update their addons so we should just wait until they're all done should we?
What if they no longer maintain their addons?

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - dcsacew21 - 2021-02-23

i have my clean setup with AURA Skin, which is just not compatible with Kodi 19 (aura skin). Kodi was updated automatically from the play store on my shield tv, and destroyed my whole setup.
so i deinstalled kodi, and downloaded manually the apk for 18.9 from kodi website and then sideloaded (via downloader) it to the shield, in hope that would not trigger manual update (sideload vs. play store).
spend few hours so setup every widget and setting as my family is used to.... fast forward to this morning:
Kodi was updated to 19 for whatever reason and killed again my whole setup.

but i do not want to turn off auto update from the whole play store. since non of my apps would be updated then. that would be a pain in the ass, to turn off auto updates for all apps just because of ONE app.

i think changing the app signature could help but I have no idea how that works. Since the internet is full with this issue, did somebody already recompile the 18.9 version so auto update for Android does not work anymore?

tl;dr:
How can i install a Kodi 18.9 version on my shield tv, that does NOT get automatically Updated?

edit:
can somebody (with the proper knowledge), change the signature of the latest official Kodi 18.9 APK? This would prevent automatical Update from playstore after sideloading and installing. and we could still leave the auto update for other apps from playstore ON.
THANK YOU

edit2:

so changing signature of the apk stops auto update.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/org.xbmc.kodi/

the f-droid version of Kodi 18.9 seems to be signs by themselves. this should stop auto update from playstore or?

Version 18.9 (1809000) suggested Added on 2020-11-09
This version requires Android 5.0 or newer.
It is built and signed by F-Droid, and guaranteed to correspond to this source tarball.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - Klojum - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-22, 23:39)52pegg Wrote: I have Nvidia shield and it DID auto update from v.18.9 to 19 and neither the build I had nor the add-ons on it are compatible. Forced to delete and re-install v.18.9 which is no biggie, but lost all my favorites.
(2021-02-23, 05:21)wize7one Wrote: Just ran into this same problem. And even if it was Android's doing to force update. It's still completely irresponsible to officially release 19, seeing how it is still incompatible with pretty much everything. Complete waste of time.

For those who didn't bother to read our forum rules (wiki): "builds", "wizards", "forks" and add-ons facilitating video piracy receive ZERO support on this forum.

Other than that: non-compatible 3rd party add-ons are NOT Team Kodi's problem.

RE: How do I stop Kodi from auto-updating in the future on Nvidia Shield ? - DarrenHill - 2021-02-23

(2021-02-23, 10:17)dcsacew21 Wrote: can somebody (with the proper knowledge), change the signature of the latest official Kodi 18.9 APK? This would prevent automatical Update from playstore after sideloading and installing. and we could still leave the auto update for other apps from playstore ON.
THANK YOU

I would also point out that just because you don't want to update, that doesn't mean that everyone doesn't want it.

Plus the underlying root cause is the update from Python 2 to Python 3, due to Python 2 being end of life and no longer supported by its authors. Thus there are security risks involved, and in some platforms Python 2 is now actively being removed and any app using it will also start to be blocked on security grounds. So we cannot in good conscience continue to promote such a version, which is why the move has been made in Matrix to Python 3.

So to answer your question, no we will not change the signature of our apk in the Play Store or on our download site.