Kodi Community Forum
v19 Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix Mod - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Skins Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Aeon MQ (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+---- Thread: v19 Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix Mod (/showthread.php?tid=358382)

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Kodependent - 2022-12-28

(2022-12-28, 14:26)latts9923 Wrote: @Kodependent
Glad you figured it out. I get a random crash every now and then as well.
Yeah, except that it has gotten progressively worse now to the point where it's crashing multiple times a session. Unstable would be an understatement. Seems to specifically happen if I move around menus or scroll through movies/tv shows too quickly. I don't think it's a skin issue per se. I admit that my Kodi install is long in the tooth. I can't remember when the last time I did a clean install. Usually update in place and I also just transferred my entire roaming/kodi folder to the new laptop after installing there.

So, thinking I will have to just bite the bullet and do a true fresh install and restore kodi/skin/gui settings the best I can manually, and hopefully that clears things up.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - RB0135 - 2022-12-28

(2022-12-28, 22:52)Kodependent Wrote:
Yeah, except that it has gotten progressively worse now to the point where it's crashing multiple times a session. Unstable would be an understatement. Seems to specifically happen if I move around menus or scroll through movies/tv shows too quickly. I don't think it's a skin issue per se. I admit that my Kodi install is long in the tooth. I can't remember when the last time I did a clean install. Usually update in place and I also just transferred my entire roaming/kodi folder to the new laptop after installing there.

So, thinking I will have to just bite the bullet and do a true fresh install and restore kodi/skin/gui settings the best I can manually, and hopefully that clears things up.
If I have SHS enabled, I constantaly have SHS causing Kodi to bombs out back to the desktop (on 3 different systems, 1 Linux (ubuntu) with has a local source of media, a Windows 10 and Windows 11 which get their media from a NAS).

After looking at the SHS code over a long time, it does appear not have proper error control when it calls other services if they have issues. I spent a long time trying to diagnose/fix (as per my other posts in this forum) but I couldnt be bothered wasting anymore time diagnosing it as I was told by both Latts and others, I was the only one experiencing this problem. But, if you do a search, there's more than 1 person that has these issues with SHS and it seems it is not just this Skin that is affected (as many have reported issues with other skins that utilise SHS and I even have had one of the developers of SHS inform me it is always the skin. He even mentioned several skins to use that dont bomb out. I tried a few, they all bombed out. He even tried to blame my systems saying I dont have full permission on them, but, I do.). 

The issues are caused when SHS calls out to other modules (and because everything is writtenin slowwwww Python) these modules processes need time to finish and if they dont finish in a reasonable time (such as doing a lookup at an internet site), then processing gets out of wack and causes the error (or the service that has been called does finish, but the calling program has moved on). These errors are not handled by SHS. This diagnosis is based on the time I have spent on trying to find why SHS bombs out so much (on my 3 systems atleast). Unfortunately, when it bombs, nothing is written to the debug log, but the last entries in the log are always SHS processing or calling out to other services.

I have also discovered, even though I have told Kodi and the various services to only use local data, SHS always wants to go to Extrafanart sites to get the data (using metadatautils module), and I have confirmed this is usually the cause of the SHS crashes.

When testing SHS, I would rarely see a Skin Helper Service Error be displayed on the top left of the screen. On the rare occasion it did show, 20 seconds later, Kodi would hang for about 30 seconds then bomb out to the desktop.

To add, with recent updates and re-testing on a new Ubuntu clean system, bombing out is much worse if SHS is enabled (Ive also tried several Linux variants) and it starts to interfer with the POWER OFF/SHUTDOWN options. It actually crashes Kodi when you select the SHUTDOWN/POWER OFF option and takes you back to the desktop rather than doing the power-off. The Debug log shows that Kodi started the shutdown/poweroff process, then last line recorded in the debug log (.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/service.py: trigger Monitor abort request) and then crash.... Kodi cant complete the full system shutdown. Disabling SHS, system shutsdown/powers off as normal.
​​​​​
It has been mentioned to clean out (remove) your simplecache.db and let it be re-created, but that doesnt help either.

I suggest dont waste your time recreating a clean system, as it wont help. 

So, for me to have 3 stable systems with MQ8, I just disable SHS and never have Kodi bombing out after that. I dont even see what I miss with it disabled as all I want to do is load up Kodi, select the Movie, TV show to watch or music to play. All the extra eye candy that requires SHS that causes these issues, to me is totally irrelevant to my viewing.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - tyrionwarmage - 2022-12-29

It seems there is an issue with the latest Netflix Addon Version and the "Netflix: Continue Watching" Widget (https://github.com/CastagnaIT/plugin.video.netflix/issues/1530). I was assuming it is a plugin issue, but seems more like an skin issue. Anyone else able to confirm this problem?

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - wags1 - 2022-12-29

@RB0135 This is interesting. TBH I have not experienced significant issues that I have noticed with SHS. One thing I will say though is that the “eye candy”, particularly when listening to music, is an important function for me. Listening to music, using the Pandoki (Pandora) addon with this skin and Layout 7 is my major (98% of the time) use case and so the visuals are critical to me.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - grimmace92 - 2022-12-29

(2022-12-28, 14:26)latts9923 Wrote:  

@grimmace92
Howdy...and thanks for the kind words! Sure...follow the Youtube link in my signature. A donation link is available there.

Donated! Happy Holidays!

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Holzfred - 2022-12-29

(2022-12-28, 23:04)RB0135 Wrote:  
(2022-12-28, 14:26)latts9923 Wrote:  

So, for me to have 3 stable systems with MQ8, I just disable SHS and never have Kodi bombing out after that. I dont even see what I miss with it disabled as all I want to do is load up Kodi, select the Movie, TV show to watch or music to play. All the extra eye candy that requires SHS that causes these issues, to me is totally irrelevant to my viewing.

Good morning,

exactly this, what I have here on my Kodi-Computers. SHS always makes trouble, if I go to fast through the menus from Kodi or stop a movie and Kodi is not finished with update my DB on my server. After I deactivated SHS, Kodi don't crash anymore. To solve this problem, because I don't want miss the graphics in music view, I installed the app "restart on crash" on all my PCs.  So I don't need the keyboard to start KODI again. 

Sometimes after Kodi crashed, the settings from the Skin are killed. So I marked the settings.xml in Addon Data as read only and make a copy in the same folder. Only handycap is, I have to change this, if I want to change somethin in the skin. 

@latts9923 

I find out, that the setting SHOW ARTIST ON TOP - LOGO only works on my second PC with Win 10. On my WIN11 PC only Text is working... Maybe this helps... And both are NUCs with different Intel GPUs 

All the best to all

Uwe

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Kodependent - 2022-12-29

(2022-12-28, 23:04)RB0135 Wrote:

If I have SHS enabled, I constantaly have SHS causing Kodi to bombs out back to the desktop (on 3 different systems, 1 Linux (ubuntu) with has a local source of media, a Windows 10 and Windows 11 which get their media from a NAS).

After looking at the SHS code over a long time, it does appear not have proper error control when it calls other services if they have issues. I spent a long time trying to diagnose/fix (as per my other posts in this forum) but I couldnt be bothered wasting anymore time diagnosing it as I was told by both Latts and others, I was the only one experiencing this problem. But, if you do a search, there's more than 1 person that has these issues with SHS and it seems it is not just this Skin that is affected (as many have reported issues with other skins that utilise SHS and I even have had one of the developers of SHS inform me it is always the skin. He even mentioned several skins to use that dont bomb out. I tried a few, they all bombed out. He even tried to blame my systems saying I dont have full permission on them, but, I do.). 

The issues are caused when SHS calls out to other modules (and because everything is writtenin slowwwww Python) these modules processes need time to finish and if they dont finish in a reasonable time (such as doing a lookup at an internet site), then processing gets out of wack and causes the error (or the service that has been called does finish, but the calling program has moved on). These errors are not handled by SHS. This diagnosis is based on the time I have spent on trying to find why SHS bombs out so much (on my 3 systems atleast). Unfortunately, when it bombs, nothing is written to the debug log, but the last entries in the log are always SHS processing or calling out to other services.

I have also discovered, even though I have told Kodi and the various services to only use local data, SHS always wants to go to Extrafanart sites to get the data (using metadatautils module), and I have confirmed this is usually the cause of the SHS crashes.

When testing SHS, I would rarely see a Skin Helper Service Error be displayed on the top left of the screen. On the rare occasion it did show, 20 seconds later, Kodi would hang for about 30 seconds then bomb out to the desktop.

To add, with recent updates and re-testing on a new Ubuntu clean system, bombing out is much worse if SHS is enabled (Ive also tried several Linux variants) and it starts to interfer with the POWER OFF/SHUTDOWN options. It actually crashes Kodi when you select the SHUTDOWN/POWER OFF option and takes you back to the desktop rather than doing the power-off. The Debug log shows that Kodi started the shutdown/poweroff process, then last line recorded in the debug log (.kodi/addons/script.skin.helper.service/service.py: trigger Monitor abort request) and then crash.... Kodi cant complete the full system shutdown. Disabling SHS, system shutsdown/powers off as normal.
​​​​​
It has been mentioned to clean out (remove) your simplecache.db and let it be re-created, but that doesnt help either.

Thanks for this. I disabled SHS(also SHS Backup and Widget Helper too JIC but not sure if necessary). May be too soon to tell, but I didn't get any crashes last night. I also didn't notice anything different that I could tell. I don't know if it is because I am using PKC and it pulls all the art from my Plex server. I don't really know what SHS actually does. For music, I use the Spotify addon and the "furniture" seemed the same. Regardless, I always have it go directly to the visualizer(ProjectM) anyway and that still works fine.

Strangely, I wasn't having this issue on my previous laptop, or not anywhere near as much. The only reason I had to switch was the gpu on my other laptop started to die(display all screwed up weird colors, etc). So, not sure why this newer laptop(both MSI gaming laptops with Win10) would have more issues with SHS.

At the end of the day, if disabling SHS stops the crashes and there's no noticeable difference in my use case, then I can live with that! Thanks again(hopefullly)

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Skin helper error - 2022-12-31

@latts9923 

Hello,
Indeed, Shudder streaming was already there, my bad. This is due to the fact that like TMC entertainment, and Ortf, the studio logo does not appear on the box. Even after a rescan.
But thanks anyway for adding ORTF. Happy New Year to you and to everyone too.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - martinsvision - 2022-12-31

Anyone got some backgrounds for new years I could use ??

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - latts9923 - 2022-12-31

I have reworked the code to use local images first and revert to Skin Helper only as a fallback. However, some items will simply not function without SHS...the alphabet scrollbar and multi-logos for the music viz to name a few. I have Metadata set to pull artwork from online sources if needed, and I just don't have the crash problems that have been reported by you guys. I don't know why, but like @RB0135 said, when it does crash it just takes a dump and there's no indication in the logs as to why.

@tyrionwarmage
I'm using the latest version of Netflix (v1.20.3+matrix.1) and the "NETFLIX: CONTINUE WATCHING" widget seems to be working just fine.

@grimmace92
I got the donation...much appreciated!

@Skin helper error
When you say the studio does not appear on the box...which view are you speaking of? You're welcome...and Happy New Year!

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Skin helper error - 2022-12-31

@latts9923 

I always forget to mention it, it's for Shelf 3d. And thank you.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - latts9923 - 2022-12-31

@Skin helper error
Are you trying to get the Shudder studio to display for Movies or TV Shows? For Movies, the studio for Shelf3D will display on the left under the audio/subtitle flags.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Kodependent - 2022-12-31

I'm wondering if, in my case at least, it might have anything to do with PKC? Maybe there's a conflict since all the artwork is being pulled from my plex server and doesn't exist locally? I'm also using PKC addon instead of direct path method, so I think that Kodi doesn't even see the direct paths to files to pull art/info. So maybe there's some kind of conflict there, I dunno.

After a couple days now with SHS disabled, Kodi is 100% stable. I can't see that I'm missing anything with it disabled, which is likely because I just don't use it in a way that I'd notice lack of SHS.

I'm fine with just having it disabled then and not worrying about it. Just glad I didn't have to do a fresh install that wouldn't even have helped(THANKS AGAIN RB0135!)

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - andrzejls - 2023-01-01

@latts9923
I am updated to Kodi-19.5 and 1.0.3.3 Skin. I just noticed that TV Show - Next Aired stopped working. Will not regenerate "UPDATE THE TV INFORMATION NOW" nor "**RESET ALL DATA** AND UPDATE THE TV INFORMATION NOW". Any idea how I could get it back?.

RE: Aeon MQ 8 for Matrix - Angelinas - 2023-01-01

(2023-01-01, 15:14)andrzejls Wrote: @latts9923
I am updated to Kodi-19.5 and 1.0.3.3 Skin. I just noticed that TV Show - Next Aired stopped working. Will not regenerate "UPDATE THE TV INFORMATION NOW" nor "**RESET ALL DATA** AND UPDATE THE TV INFORMATION NOW". Any idea how I could get it back?.

Api for tvdb is down.
Tvdb api have some isue with data and link in json.Need to create bug report at https://github.com/thetvdb/v4-api/issues
i creaate some new code for tvdb module but that cant fix all isue.Data and link repeat more then one time, sometimes doesnt show at all.Need to wait tvdb to fix api.