Kodi Community Forum
v18 Play next song automatically does not work as expected - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: v18 Play next song automatically does not work as expected (/showthread.php?tid=359514)

Play next song automatically does not work as expected - tecc - 2021-01-01

I've set 'Play next song automatically' to on and 'Queue song on selection' to off but when I use my TVs remote (connected via CEC) to navigate via music > files to a folder with 18 songs that are not in the library on an USB stick, a click on OK or PLAY does start e.g. song 3 and the track info is displayed on the left. And when song 3 ends, song 4 starts BUT the selection bar has not moved down but is stuck on song 3 and thus file info for song 4 is not displayed on the left. If it plays on, I end on file 18 with still the file info and cover on 'stuck' on song 3. Why does the selection bar not move along with the songs?

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - jjd-uk - 2021-01-01

(2021-01-01, 20:09)tecc Wrote: Why does the selection bar not move along with the songs?
Because it's for navigating the views only. If you use the default Estuary skin then there's a new view available in V19 that provides info on the currently playing item.

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - tecc - 2021-01-03

Maybe it's just me but I find that rather counter-intuitive. Same with the fact that a file keeps playing when you press back during playback. I've seen some seniors like my old man unable to go on from there being utterly confused. Is there a way to switch this off? Pressing back during playback of any file would act like pressing the the button stop? Another press on back would go up one dir?

I do use Estuary and I've just installed Kodi 19 Matrix beta 2 on Windows to test this new view. Where do I switch to it? Thx!

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - jjd-uk - 2021-01-04

(2021-01-03, 08:06)tecc Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I find that rather counter-intuitive. Same with the fact that a file keeps playing when you press back during playback. I've seen some seniors like my old man unable to go on from there being utterly confused. Is there a way to switch this off? Pressing back during playback of any file would act like pressing the the button stop? Another press on back would go up one dir?

As said, the views showing all the media files are mainly for library navigation to select what you want to play, thus Back is a navigation back and using Back to stop playback makes no sense.

(2021-01-03, 08:06)tecc Wrote: I do use Estuary and I've just installed Kodi 19 Matrix beta 2 on Windows to test this new view. Where do I switch to it? Thx!

On the side menu where you have the View type selection there should be a Now Playing option which will look like

Also do you realise there is a full screen playback mode that can always display the details of the currently playing track? This can be accessed from side menu as well using the 4 arrow icon which is the right most icon on the row with the playback control icons of Play / Skip / Stop

If your Library items have fanart then you can get a view like

Or you can enable a Visualisation

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - tecc - 2021-01-04

(2021-01-04, 14:23)jjd-uk Wrote: As said, the views showing all the media files are mainly for library navigation to select what you want to play, thus Back is a navigation back and using Back to stop playback makes no sense.
Depends on the circumstances: apart from my old man I've actually seen several (older) people having issues with BACK not stopping. I've 'trained' seniors in my circle to use the P±, V± and BACK keys exclusively on their remotes so as to not press other keys accidentally that might take them to functions/menus they might be unable return from - which still happens a lot. In one case even turning off the TV wouldn't help because the user involuntarily had switched to analogue satellite and hadn't realized this. Also, some TV remotes don't provide buttons like STOP via CEC which is why BACK during playback acting as STOP would help a lot. If I understand you correctly, there's no way to change this behaviour by remapping keys or adding a macro or something?
(2021-01-04, 14:23)jjd-uk Wrote: On the side menu where you have the View type selection there should be a Now Playing option which will look like

I was wondering about that; according to the wiki the side blade menu lists this but not in file mode which I've been using exclusively (and would like to keep using).
(2021-01-04, 14:23)jjd-uk Wrote: Also do you realise there is a full screen playback mode that can always display the details of the currently playing track? This can be accessed from side menu as well using the 4 arrow icon which is the right most icon on the row with the playback control icons of Play / Skip / Stop

Yes, I've tried that and it looks good. However, after 10 seconds of playback the screen turns blank and only pops back in for the first ten seconds of the next song. Is this because I have disabled visualisation?

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - jjd-uk - 2021-01-04

Oops forgot it wasn't available in the normal nav views, once you've started playing something open side blade menu select "Go to playlist" then it should be available for selection on the side blade menu of the playlist.

(2021-01-04, 18:20)tecc Wrote: Yes, I've tried that and it looks good. However, after 10 seconds of playback the screen turns blank and only pops back in for the first ten seconds of the next song. Is this because I have disabled visualisation?

Yes that's default behaviour, it can be override so track info remain permanently displayed by using the Info action, which will be either Info button on a remote (if it has one) or the I key with a keyboard.

I explained the behaviour in more detail here https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=355301&pid=2958341#pid2958341

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - tecc - 2021-01-07

Yep, go to playlist works but I find the view you'll get kinda redundant so I tried pressing I on the keyboard and that works as expected. I especially like the idea that you made it a toggle, so the setting remains even after Kodi has been turned off. Still, I'm unable to map this to my remote cause I don't seem to be able to find the right command/function in the keymap editor addon. Global > Other > Show Codec Info as suggested here does not work, nor does Global > Navigation > Show Info. What is the proper command to use in keymap editor?

Also, one question about (lib)CEC limitations: if the TV has a function assigned to a button that will work regardless of Input source – pressing the 'info' button when watching from satellite superimposes a bar at the top that has details on the show currently running, switched to HDMI the bar reads 'HDMI-CDC 1920x1080 / 60p' – there's no way to remap this for Kodi actions with the keymap editor? When I press this key as the one to be assigned in keymap editor, it does not accept it but execute the TV's function instead.

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - jjd-uk - 2021-01-07

(2021-01-07, 12:49)tecc Wrote: What is the proper command to use in keymap editor?

The fullscreen screen window for music is the Visualisation window, so go to there in Keymap Editor and then Navigation then the action you want is Show Info and in case you didn't find it already there's also a menu available in this window, usually the OK/Select button on a remote will activate this to give you playback controls and access to some setting menus, if you want to remap this then this can be called by the action Show OSD which is under Playback in Keymap Editor. Note that because the changes are only done for the Visualisation window then the default mapping will remain unchanged for fullscreen video, however to do the same for video change the same actions for Fullscreen Video in Keymap Editor.

As for CEC, sorry I've no idea not something I've ever used.

RE: Play next song automatically does not work as expected - tecc - 2021-01-17

Thanks, using the visualisation > show info worked. Still, can you comment on my question regarding using 'back' as 'stop' by remapping or something?