Kodi Community Forum
Beta Testflight access to beta version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for iOS Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+---- Thread: Beta Testflight access to beta version (/showthread.php?tid=359717)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2024-02-14

Feature Request Smile

Would it be possible to (better) support chapters while playing videos, i.e. by showing the chapter marks in the progress bar (like e.g. YouTube is doing it) and/or by displaying at least the current chapter and the total number of chapters in the Now Playing Screen?

Would be great if my wish could be considered since the Now Playing Screen is already scheduled for improvement by @Buschel Wink
(but I fear that there might be a lack of support for this by the Kodi Server API?)

Thanks!

RE: Testflight access to beta version - jcea - 2024-02-15

Translation mistake in the Spanish (Spain, es-es) translation.

In the left menu, the entry "videos" should be written as "vídeos" (note the tilde in the second letter). This is the right written word in Spanish from Spain.

When going inside that section, "Vídeos Musicales" text is displayed, with the right tilde. Good.

Also, all references to "item" or "items" should be changed to "ítem" or "ítemes" (tilde again, note the different plural), but this word is unusual in Spanish and I never saw that plural ("ítemes") ever. I would rather replace "item" and "items" by "elemento" and "elementos". That is the fourth meaning of "item" in the official Spanish dictionary, perfect match for the usage in the application ("every component of a given set", were "component" is each part of something).

So I suggest to replace "item" and "items" by "elemento" and "elementos".

Thanks.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - kambala - 2024-02-15

(2024-02-15, 04:18)jcea Wrote: Translation mistake in the Spanish (Spain, es-es) translation.

you can suggest the translation yourself: https://kodi.weblate.cloud/projects/kodi-remotes/official-ios-remote-main/

here's a manual: https://kodi.wiki/view/Translations

RE: Testflight access to beta version - kambala - 2024-02-15

(2024-02-14, 22:22)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Feature Request Smile

Would it be possible to (better) support chapters while playing videos, i.e. by showing the chapter marks in the progress bar (like e.g. YouTube is doing it) and/or by displaying at least the current chapter and the total number of chapters in the Now Playing Screen?

Would be great if my wish could be considered since the Now Playing Screen is already scheduled for improvement by @Buschel Wink
(but I fear that there might be a lack of support for this by the Kodi Server API?)

Thanks!

yeah, looks like API doesn't expose chapters: https://kodi.wiki/view/JSON-RPC_API/v13

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2024-02-20

I had asked for chapters quite awhile ago too. At the time it didn’t sound like it was ever going to happen.

It’s too bad Kodi json doesn’t support it. I too think it would be a wonderful addition to the now playing screen.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2024-02-21

1.14 build 4253
Release Notes

This build provides some fixes for recently reported issues (alphabetically sorted add-on menus, misleading quick remote help text, virtual keyboard throwing errors) and some internal rework.

@fischcode, please check, if the fixes also work on your side.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2024-02-25

1.14 build 4253.42

This is a pure test build to collect feedback, no code was not merged yet. First (negative) feedback arrived via GitHub (#994), I hope to receive some more details on this one.

NowPlaying
  • More prominent Play/Pause button in the horizontal center.
  • Re-arranged Seek/Skip around the centered Play/Pause, which moved Stop to left. I am aware this changed the layout, but wanted to collect feedback. For example Stop can be moved left of Play/Pause, but I would like to emphasize Play/Pause and center it.
  • Progress slider now on the bottom to have this easier to reach for one-hand usage on iPhone.
  • Repeat left of progress slider, Shuffle right of slider, now directly reachable from NowPlaying and not only via overlay.
  • iPad: clear playlist background to show the underlying fanart
  • iPad: album/artist/title and progress bar now do not use full width to ease usage.

Longpress Season
  • Supports Play, Queue, Queue after current, Mark watched/unwatched
  • Kodi API does not support this natively, so a dedicated implementation was done for this.
  • Changing the playcount of TV Show episodes was buggy before (not updating the TV Show "watched" flag). I now moved into the direction of forced update of all i impacted loaded views if the playcount is changed. This can be seen best on iPad with TV Show list open, then entering a TV Show and mark seasons or episodes watched/unwatched. In this case you would now see the "watched" flag update on the TV Show list in the background. I am not sure, if I keep it like this, or if I might add some further logic to avoid re-loading the pages.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2024-02-25

(2024-02-25, 16:49)Buschel Wrote: 1.14 build 4253.42

This is a pure test build to collect feedback, no code was not merged yet. First (negative) feedback arrived via GitHub (#994), I hope to receive some more details on this one.
First honest impression: OMG. This is really for the worse. Please roll (most of) these changes back immediately.
Please note that my observations are on an iPad Air used in landscape orientation, things may render differently on other models.

Quote:NowPlaying
  • More prominent Play/Pause button in the horizontal center.
It doesn’t look centered, at least it is misaligned with the app’s navigation bar on the left. I know that these are independent UI elements and don’t belong together, but it looks bad IMHO.

Image above showing some of the issues with the new layout: misalignment, most important information in the smallest font possible. Why?

Quote:
  • Re-arranged Seek/Skip around the centered Play/Pause, which moved Stop to left. I am aware this changed the layout, but wanted to collect feedback. For example Stop can be moved left of Play/Pause, but I would like to emphasize Play/Pause and center it.
  • While I like the emphasized Play/Pause button, I don’t see any reason to invert its colors, because now it looks somehow like a "selected" button.

Quote:
  • Repeat left of progress slider, Shuffle right of slider, now directly reachable from NowPlaying and not only via overlay.
  • Good. But the overall layout now is somehow squeezed, not making use of the wide screen any longer. Movie and song titles are truncated and shown in a much smaller font than less important secondary information. This is a also huge step back. Sad

Quote:
  • iPad: clear playlist background to show the underlying fanart
  • Don’t see this?! What do you mean exactly?

Quote:
  • iPad: album/artist/title and progress bar now do not use full width to ease usage.
  • Yes, this is IMHO the worst decision.
    And the overlay icons are now too low, almost glued to the bottom of the artwork, making this looking bad either… Not talking about the HighRes Audio icon now completely lost in the upper left corner of the overlay?!

Quote:Longpress Season
    • Supports Play, Queue, Queue after current, Mark watched/unwatched
    • Kodi API does not support this natively, so a dedicated implementation was done for this.
    • Changing the playcount of TV Show episodes was buggy before (not updating the TV Show "watched" flag). I now moved into the direction of forced update of all i impacted loaded views if the playcount is changed. This can be seen best on iPad with TV Show list open, then entering a TV Show and mark seasons or episodes watched/unwatched. In this case you would now see the "watched" flag update on the TV Show list in the background. I am not sure, if I keep it like this, or if I might add some further logic to avoid re-loading the pages.
    Good to see you worked on this too.
    Two observations:
    1. If a specifc season is unfolded, it will be closed after selecting any of the newly introduced features. Very annoying.
    2. For some strange reason, I observed the following side effect on the Kodi Server screen (i.e. not in the app): The screen starts flickering while the individual episodes are touched by the app. Also very annoying.

I know that it must be frustrating to receive negative feedback after you put so much love and effort into the redesign. But I really think in its current state it massively worsens the user experience, at least on iPads.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2024-02-25

(2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: First honest impression: OMG. This is really for the worse. Please roll (most of) these changes back immediately.
    I cannot roll back anything. As I wrote, nothing of this has been even merged, it was just a build to gather feedback. If I cannot do this in TF, I cannot do such kind of changes anywhere as no-one else seems to work on this app, builds on his own and shares feedback this way.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: It doesn’t look centered, at least it is misaligned with the app’s navigation bar on the left. I know that these are independent UI elements and don’t belong together, but it looks bad IMHO.
    On iPad it is as centered as it always has been. I need to work on iPad which is not properly handled since I took over the maintancence. On iPhone it looks like this:
    https://ibb.co/Lnyg5Bc (new)
    https://ibb.co/n7MXvGD (before)
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: showing some of the issues with the new layout: misalignment, most important information in the smallest font possible. Why?
    What you mean by smallest font for most important information? Only the font for the time has changed, it was increased. All other fonts are same size. Screenshots for iPad:
    https://ibb.co/vqyXYZz (new)
    https://ibb.co/rsnj9MJ (before)
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: While I like the emphasized Play/Pause button, I don’t see any reason to invert its colors, because now it looks somehow like a "selected" button.
    I like especially this highlighting. This looks very similar to Spotify's design.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Good. But the overall layout now is somehow squeezed, not making use of the wide screen any longer. Movie and song titles are truncated and shown in a much smaller font than less important secondary information. This is a also huge step back. Sad
    Can you please show examples of squeezed or truncated song names. Don't you feel that the wide progress bar was a bit too much? I am not using an iPad but always felt that the need to touch that far left or far right to move the progress bar was a usability problem.
    What I now recognize is that files which do not have proper meta data (like in your screenshot which only shows a file name) look not good with the new layout. Old layout had this one name listed right under the progress bar which kept them visible aligned. The new layout only looks good, if all text fields are filled. Need to think over this.
    But again, motivation was to move the slider down for easier reach when using one-handed.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote:
    Quote:iPad: clear playlist background to show the underlying fanart
    Don’t see this?! What do you mean exactly?
    Just add one single item into the playlist, play it and the extend the playlist size up. You will see there is no gray background anymore, but just the fullscreen fanart background.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: And the overlay icons are now too low, almost glued to the bottom of the artwork, making this looking bad either… Not talking about the HighRes Audio icon now completely lost in the upper left corner of the overlay?!
    What's the problem with the icons at the bottom of the overlay? The HiRes icon I agree, but I needed to place it somewhere for now.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: If a specifc season is unfolded, it will be closed after selecting any of the newly introduced features. Very annoying.
    Yes, I am aware. Difficult to resolve without overdoing the whole implementation. Let's see, if I can rework this.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: For some strange reason, I observed the following side effect on the Kodi Server screen (i.e. not in the app): The screen starts flickering while the individual episodes are touched by the app. Also very annoying.
    Great. This is what you get from adding a feature which the API does not support. Maybe I should stop this and wait for the API to support it. What a waste of time.
    (2024-02-25, 18:23)UlfSchmidt Wrote: I know that it must be frustrating to receive negative feedback after you put so much love and effort into the redesign.
    It is, but it is important to receive such feedback to not move into a direction which is not accepted by users. But this is what TF builds are for -- testing.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2024-02-25

Hi @Buschel

I must admit that on iPhones your changes really look well thought. 👍

Quote:
    What you mean by smallest font for most important information?

Can you please show examples of squeezed or truncated song names.

Sorry, I just recognized that my attachments somehow lost their full resolution, rendering these useless. In the forum’s preview they worked.

What I meant by "Image above showing some of the issues with the new layout: misalignment, most important information in the smallest font possible. Why?" can been seen here:

This was my second attachment:

I hope these make my thoughts clearer?

If not: the line with the movie title, episode title or song title is rendered in my examples using a very small font, much smaller than the secondary information about the director or the studio behind the movie. This should in my opinion never happen, even not by applying some strange automatic font sizing. You may remember that I already complained about this feature in the past, as from my point of view it is a bug and not a feature Wink

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2024-02-26

Thanks for sharing the images in higher resolution. 
    1. Yes, the autoresizing does a bad job in this example. I can either switch it off, or can increase the minimum allowed font size to something more reasonable. For the next try I am just switching it off, but I am not sure I'll keep it.
    2. Moved the progressbar back up as it avoids to have a huge empty space between title and progress bar, if only the title is available.
    3. Moved the repeat/shuffle buttons to bottom left and bottom right corner, instead of left and right of progress bar. This works very well for iPhone as the position can be vertically aligned with the buttons in the toolbar. For iPad the buttons look a bit lost, but imho this is still better than only being reachable via overlay. Suggestions welcome!
    4. Made the HiRes icon smaller to fit right next to the bit depth and sample rate.
    5. Still not using fullscreen width for NowPlaying on iPad, but the full size of portrait mode. The same dimension is then used for landscape to limit the width (again, motivation is to avoid the need to touch all the way left or right when using the progress bar or the repeat/random buttons.
    Screenshots:
    https://ibb.co/wp004KT (iPad portrait)
    https://ibb.co/4dVhYfP (iPad landscape)
    https://ibb.co/37hbrC9 (iPhone)
    https://ibb.co/hf6j9HY (iPhone HiRes)

PS: In your screenshots you can recognize the clear background of the playlist (bottom left side). Now you can see the background fanart instead of a grey field.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2024-02-26

Hi @Buschel,
    have you ever thought about moving the playback controls on the iPad to the same location as on iPhones, I mean right between the repeat and random buttons and to remove them completely from the bottom bar? In my opinion this would not only look better, it would also remove the clutter from the bottom of the screen.

In fact I did since a while. The benefit of the bottom left controls is that they are always usable, even while browsing the database. If the controls are only accessible on the NowPlaying screen this advantage is gone and users need to either use the remote or close the database browsing. But maybe I just keep both.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2024-02-26

OK. This is how differently you and me use the app. So far, I never had the need to access any of these player controls while browsing, as a "Play" button is always there (except for albums, where I would like to have it added since years for the sake of consistency). How is all this done on iPhones? Are player controls there also always made available while browsing?

I just thought that using the controls on iPad even while browsing, e.g. skipping to next song, is some value add. On iPhone this is not possible.

Impression of how this can look like (quick and dirty): https://ibb.co/JCVhkgV