Kodi Community Forum
Beta Testflight access to beta version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for iOS Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+---- Thread: Beta Testflight access to beta version (/showthread.php?tid=359717)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-08

Hi @Buschel,

while I really appreciate all these changes and improvements, I face a new issue now:

Now that all covers which do not match exactly the expected aspect ratio are „zoomed in“ somehow to fill the given placeholder (even if rounded corners are turned off), I experience cut offs (a quite obvious side effect) - rendering some of my covers unreadable. Sad
Wouldn’t it be possible instead of zooming in with keeping the original aspect ratio to stretch the mismatching covers independently in their x and y axis? While this may introduce some distortion, it would at least not truncate any information or text from such covers.
My media collection quite often suffers now from this effect - album covers, where newer CDs where sold with these wider covers without the black bar on the left, and movie covers from Blu rays, which don’t have the same height as DVD covers, are now cut off on the left and right.

(2023-05-08, 19:58)Buschel Wrote: @UlfSchmidt, now the season / episode naming is consistently following "SxEy". To improve readability there are some more options possible, e.g. not using capital letters which will improve distinction of characters and numbers (e.g. s1e2, s7e12). Also it is an option to always use 2-digit numbers (e.g. e01s02, s07e12).

Like the new consistent naming, but would really suggest to use lower case letters Smile
Still undecided between one or two digits…

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-08

Zooming x-/y-axis is technically of course possible, but not really desired as the aspect ratio should be kept to not have weird stretch effects. This is visually pretty visible for faces and logos. So, either aspect fill (= filling whole frame) or aspect fit (= expand until frame borders are reached) is the solution to go for. How does Kodi UI show these covers? Can you possibly share some screenshots which allow comparison?

Edit: For the NowPlaying screen and (as far as I remember) also the detail info screen the rounded edges are applied to the image itself and not to the view frame. In your case these screens work as expected, right? I am still not fully convinced to make all screens using the image-rounding method though. But I need to think through this ...

(2023-05-08, 21:07)Buschel Wrote: This is technically of course possible, but not really desired as the aspect ratio should be kept to not have weird stretch effects. This is visually pretty visible for faces and logos. So, either aspect fill (= filling whole frame) or aspect fit (= expand until frame borders are reached) is the solution to go for. How does Kodi UI show these covers? Can you possibly share some screenshots which allow comparison?

I understand that you switched to aspect fill for the app. This helps easily for the rounded corners issue, but introduced the unwanted cut offs in my case. For Kodi’s own UI, I think it depends on the skin you are using. My skin always keeps the aspect ratio within the given frames, as it was previously also the case in the app.

If necessary, I can provide some good and some bad examples tomorrow…

Edit: seeing your edit now, I confirm that detail info screens and Now Playing do not suffer from my issue, these work perfect! Maybe (I cannot estimate the effort) this could be the way to please @amasephy and me Smile

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-08

(2023-05-08, 21:24)UlfSchmidt Wrote: I understand that you switched to aspect fill for the app.
Exactly.
(2023-05-08, 21:24)UlfSchmidt Wrote: If necessary, I can provide some good and some bad examples tomorrow…
For me it will be helpful to see some examples, also from Kodi UI. The covers I use all have the default dimensions and do not show this problem. What I am somehow concerned -- but you had this situation before as well -- is that the grid view looks a bit off if the cover sizes differ (e.g. some having DVD and some having Blu-ray dimensions).

(2023-05-08, 21:32)Buschel Wrote: … What I am somehow concerned -- but you had this situation before as well -- is that the grid view looks a bit off if the cover sizes differ (e.g. some having DVD and some having Blu-ray dimensions).

Yes, I agree, the grid view looks much better (and consistent) now!
And only for a very limited amount of covers the applied cutout is disturbing. I should better look for matching covers instead of complaining here.
The longer I think about it, the better I like your new implementation Smile

Keep it! This is the way!

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-09

I too noticed the cutoff of artwork data but knew this would be an issue with aspect ratio mismatch. Honestly, applying the rounded corner to the image and not the “container” for lack of a better word is the better solution. Given how small images are on phones I can hardly imagine stretching being a real issue. If you stretch 4:3 content to 16:9 stretching starts to be an issue but we are talking a minute amount of stretching to fix this rounded corner issue. Maybe put out a test build and get an opinion. I’m thinking it’s not a big deal. Even on iPad size. I’m finding it surprising there is so much variance in images ratios. Most of the artwork downloaded through ember media is 3000x2000px.

As for season espisode naming scheme I’m going to have to disagree with UlfSchmidt. I would prefer to see S and E capitalized. Just my two cents. Not going to bother me that much but lowercase just seems out of place to me. However I do like the season to have two digit scheme. So S01E01 as this seems to be the typical naming scheme scrapers like to have. The season lacking the zero triggers my OCD. I wasn’t going to say anything but since the topic came up. 🙂

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-09

The issue is not even a "rounded corner" issue but it is generic. The rounded corners just made this more visible. I still would not take stretching into account as this is really visible for logos and faces. The App expects 1.42:1 for movie posters which is also what I receive from Kodi API (720x505 px) when using the default Kodi skin and scraped via Kodi. I do not know yet, if this aspect ratio changes with different skins or settings. What happens to library views when other aspect ratios are received:

AspectFill (latest version):
- the view frame will be filled completely by the image
- wider images will be cut at the sides
- higher images will be cut at bottom/top
- grid looks regular as all views are filled up and equally spaced
- rounded corners (applied to views) work properly

AspectFit (older version):
- the view frame will not be fully filled
- wider images will have empty bars on bottom/top
- higher images will have empty bars on the sides
- grid looks a bit off as views are not filled up and not equally spaced due to different possible aspect ratios
- rounded corners (applied to views) do not work properly
- rounded corners (applied to images) are not implemented and will need more thought (especially logic for radius calculation)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-09

Thanks for your comprehensive summary, @Buschel

With the app expecting 1.42:1 for movie posters, this also then causes truncation on the images @amasephy is using, as these are 3:2. But your arguments count, the look now provided by the app is the best we can get, as every image has the same size and nothing is stretched or squeezed into place. Most truncations that occur (to my very mixed set of images of any size one can think of) do NOT remove anything valuable from the posters or album covers. Only in some very rare cases the truncation looks out of place, e.g. for the two or three very old DVDs I own that came in a CD-size jewel case. But here the right way is obviously that I should better replace these posters instead of complaining about your implementation.

I understand that everyone involved in our discussion is happy with the current implementation. So I think we may stop this discussion and you can focus on further details… Smile

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-09

Just want to reiterate that the cropping does not bother me. I did look on Kodi server to compare. My movie poster art is not cropped on Kodi server. I can see a slight cropping on the same images on iOS app. If it bothers you enough you could just set one image to 3000x2000 and see how server handles this. All of the images seem uniform on Kodi server.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-18

Another test build is available (thanks, @kambala). This one temporarily adds an option / setting to adjust the formatting of season/episode to collect some feedback on preferences. Just go to Kodi settings "Episode identifier" and choose the option via drop-down. I have my favorite, but please share yours.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-18

Good idea!

After playing around with it, I must admit that there is at least for the TV Show Browser a totally different way of presenting series and episode numbers, that I would prefer most:

1. Get rid of the series number, where it is not necessary at all, e.g. when browsing and there is only one series or in the detailed lists, where is always a header showing the series in bold. Instead, and that’s what I would like to suggest, you may use the same format as for track numbers in Music Album View
  2. For the playlist and Now Playing screen, one may discuss which of the provided forms to use, if would (as of today Wink ) prefer 1x01
  3. One may discuss, whether the information could be removed completely from the playlist (as it is also not there for music tracks) and from the Now Playing screen - maybe just leave the series number after the series title (e.g. "The Big Bang Theory - Series 2"). I would prefer this, as it supports a cleaner look Smile

Meanwhile I discovered the following error, look for the discrepancy between the playlist and the Now Playing information (the playlist is correct):

@UlfSchmidt, thanks for your feedback. I like the idea of only adding the season to the NowPlaying info, which is logically similar to show an album name and no track numbers. Same would apply to the list of episodes within a season -- I need to think this over.

How did you reach the mismatching NowPlaying view and playlist? Is there any way to reproduce it?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-18

This discrepancy may fall into the same category as this glitch I reported earlier:

(2023-04-30, 18:33)UlfSchmidt Wrote: First small regression found:
After watching a TV episode I started playback of a music track, but the playlist is not updated and still shows the TV episode, because it is not switching from movie playlist to music playlist. Never observed this before…
Oh, after switching back from this forum to the App, it refreshed the playlist?!

Unfortunately, both are not easy to reproduce - at least I was not able to do so… Sad

You had something like this in mind, right?

Changed episodes view and NowPlaying for TV Show:
https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05yifm2.png

While working on this I found that for many music menus/views the check mark for already played albums and songs is not set. For TV shows, episodes, movies and videos this is done consistently. 
To me it makes perfect sense for albums to mark them as "already listened to" -- this should be fixed for all views. When showing the album tracks it looks overloaded to my eyes when setting the check mark for each song. But there might be albums where not all track have been played yet, which can be a relevant information.
Funnily enough I receive non-played songs when requesting "AudioLibrary.GetRecentlyPlayedSongs" from Kodi. Seems like Kodi returns all songs of an album, if a song of this album was recently played.

Impressions:
https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05q4f33.png