Kodi Community Forum
Beta Testflight access to beta version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for iOS Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+---- Thread: Beta Testflight access to beta version (/showthread.php?tid=359717)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-18

(2023-05-18, 17:11)Buschel Wrote: You had something like this in mind, right?

Changed episodes view and NowPlaying for TV Show:
https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05yifm2.png

Exactly! And it looks so much better IMHO, it looks so good! Smile
If no one else complains I would suggest to keep it this way!
Thanks for taking the time to implement it!

By the way, none of my songs have an individual check mark, as you show it in your second image, only albums. Strange thing, or is this also something new you would like to introduce? Then I agree, this looks overloaded. Better leave it untouched. I never had the feeling that something is missing here…

I share the experience that playing one song from a specific album is sufficient to get the whole album listed in Recently Played Songs.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-18

(2023-05-18, 17:30)UlfSchmidt Wrote: Exactly! And it looks so much better IMHO, it looks so good! Smile
If no one else complains I would suggest to keep it this way!
Thanks for taking the time to implement it!
I'll keep this prepared and wait for other comments on it.
(2023-05-18, 17:30)UlfSchmidt Wrote: By the way, none of my songs have an individual check mark, as you show it in your second image, only albums. Strange thing, or is this also something new you would like to introduce? Then I agree, this looks overloaded. Better leave it untouched. I never had the feeling that something is missing here…
This was a screenshot of some local work. I will then keep the album view unchanged and not show the marks.
(2023-05-18, 17:30)UlfSchmidt Wrote: I share the experience that playing one song from a specific album is sufficient to get the whole album listed in Recently Played Songs.
Ok. Seems to be the natural behaviour of the Kodi API. To avoid confusion I will not show the marks for such recently played items -- they are assumed played anyway.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-20

Nice, like the attention this is getting.

My preference is for the season view go with the clean episode number only under each season heading. This makes sense as displaying the season next to each episode is redundant. I think is is already the preferred way given the comments I’m reading.

As for the now playing views I’m a little torn. I don’t really care for the word season to be written out like “Season 1” and dropping the episode number here. It’s shorter to just display one of the other formats like S01E01. To answer the original question on feedback that is my preferred format style. It really won’t bother me much whichever is chosen but I’m voting completely against using lower case characters versions for this purpose ie s01e01. That is my most disliked.

Maybe as a compromise have it display Season 1 on the now playing screen but in the now playing playlist display season and episode number?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-21

(2023-05-20, 21:05)amasephy Wrote: My preference is for the season view go with the clean episode number only under each season heading. This makes sense as displaying the season next to each episode is redundant. I think is is already the preferred way given the comments I’m reading.
So, this gets 3 out of 3 votes then. Wink
(2023-05-20, 21:05)amasephy Wrote: As for the now playing views I’m a little torn. I don’t really care for the word season to be written out like “Season 1” and dropping the episode number here. It’s shorter to just display one of the other formats like S01E01. To answer the original question on feedback that is my preferred format style. It really won’t bother me much whichever is chosen but I’m voting completely against using lower case characters versions for this purpose ie s01e01. That is my most disliked.
[...]
Maybe as a compromise have it display Season 1 on the now playing screen but in the now playing playlist display season and episode number?
Next consens, we will keep the S1E01 (or whatever) in the library view and playlist for sure. For the formatting we are at least sure on what not to use (s1e01). So we are left with S1E01, S01E01 and 1x01 -- the latter being easiest to read when shown in library view or in the playlist.

To get some more impressions I looked at how Kodi and other remotes display the season and episodes in library, playlist and NowPlaying. Kodi's Estuary skin uses "2x1" for library and "E2S1" for NowPlaying, Sybu remote app uses "2x01" for library and "2.1" for Nowplaying. Kore (Android Official Remote) uses "Season 2 | Episode 1" for library and "s02e01" for NowPlaying.

Inspired by the minimalistic "2.1" another lean and simple solution for the library / NowPlaying screen could be e.g. "2.01 First Episode" / "Bloodline | 2.01"

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-05-21

(2023-05-21, 11:02)Buschel Wrote: Inspired by the minimalistic "2.1" another lean and simple solution for the library / NowPlaying screen could be e.g. "2.01 First Episode" / "Bloodline | 2.01"

Yeah, I like the idea to stop the discussion between s02e01, 2x01 or whatever and go for 2.01 Smile
This is simple, clean, easy to understand in any language!

True. Looks like this: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05ybdxk.png

Two spontaneous thoughts:
  1. Do we really need the hyphens inbetween?
  2. Why not place the information on the Now Playing screen also before the episode name?

Would look like this: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05jwit6.png
I still prefer the separation by the hyphen. Also the "2.01" before the episode title in the NowPlaying imho does not read as nice as just a refinement to the TV Show title.

That was fast! Smile

While I really like and prefer the form without the hyphen, I agree with you on the Now Playing screen, where it looks displaced in front of the episode name.

That said, I would like to bring up my other alternative idea again, i.e. make it similar to album titles and movies from movie collections:
  • Remove the series and episode id completely from the playlist view
  • Only show the series number in addition to the TV show title in the Now Playing screen

The difficulty is to keep the main infos well readable, also for small devices. Below I placed some screenshots for either showing "1.02" as part of the main info (episode title, top row, big font) or as part of the sub info (TV show title, 2nd row, smaller font). Also worth mentioning: If "1.02" is places after the TV show's title it might be not shown in case of long titles.

https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05jfdsg.png

I would prefer the second variant, showing the series and episode numbers as part of the series title.
Wouldn’t it be possible to shorten only the title string in case of very long titles? So that there is always enough room for the series and episode numbers remaining?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - jbinkley60 - 2023-05-21

(2023-05-21, 12:53)Buschel Wrote: True. Looks like this: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-05ybdxk.png

Ironically I have used this "2.01 - episode title"  naming convention / style with Kodi /  Mezzmo and various other clients for many years vs. the 2x01 or similar styles.  I personally prefer it and think your users might too.    

Jeff

Thanks for your input, Jeff. Where exactly do you use this formatting in the skin? For me it makes perfect sense to have exactly this format for the newly added episodes. The main info is the season and episode added. Even Kodi API gives this (season/episode) info as the default label when requesting it. For NowPlaying / playlist I tend to use the format where season/episode is added trailing after the show title.

The last one I came with up with:
https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-0507c2r.png

RE: Testflight access to beta version - jbinkley60 - 2023-05-21

(2023-05-21, 15:54)Buschel Wrote: Thanks for your input, Jeff. Where exactly do you use this formatting in the skin? For me it makes perfect sense to have exactly this format for the newly added episodes. The main info is the season and episode added. Even Kodi API gives this (season/episode) info as the default label when requesting it. For NowPlaying / playlist I tend to use the format where season/episode is added trailing after the show title.

The last one I came with up with:
https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-0507c2r.png

As you know, my setup is a bit different since Mezzmo via the Mezzmo Kodi addon populates the Kodi database.  Because of that, Mezzmo and the Mezzmo Kodi addon provide 2 layers of abstraction between the Mezzmo and Kodi databases, giving tremendous flexibility.  No skin changes are used to ensure maximum compatibility.

Here's how it woks.  Mezzmo natively supports numerous file naming standards for TV shows and such, including the 2.01 which I notice isn't in their documentation.  Thus at the file level you can run whichever style you'd like to see in Kodi.  Mezzmo translates the file name to the episode title which is sent to the Kodi client while tracking the actual underlying episode by series name, season and episode.  In fact you can run multiple different file naming styles, even for the same series and Mezzmo and the addon will sort it out, including finding duplicate episodes. I have this very scenario where my OTA uses the S00E00 naming standard whereas when I rip series content from discs or downloads, I use the 2.01 format. I do that so I can easily tell which are ones I populated in the database vs. ones which the OTA recorded off the air (including simple things like OTA versions have commercials and 2.01 ones do not).

Here's what an episode looks like in the Mezzmo GUI database editor.  You can see the file name with the 2.01 naming standard.  In this example it is my last 100 played items which has both TV episode naming styles and movies all mixed together.  When I look at it, I see the 2.01 style as more appealing.  The counters on the left are a Mezzmo Display Titles feature which allows Mezzmo to insert position numbers for playlists which are sensitive to certain sorting sequences.  I can use it to also change the appearance on all clients by playlist and content type..  For instance on a normal playlist I might not want a position counter but maybe the release year for movies.  In this example I add the release year for movies and TV shows by Chadwick Boseman.

Hopefully this will help with some ideas.

Thanks,

Jeff

Thanks for sharing this insight. From what I understood, you are using a template which lets hyphens separate segments, e.g. "index - tv_show_title 1.01 - episode_name". I am reading this like "1.01" is following the tv show titie, the episode name is separated by "-". The remote app will have at least two rows, first with the episode name, second with tv show title. Your approach would point me to

a) NowPlayling and playlist type
"Chapter 1"
"House of Cards 1.01"

b) recently added
"1.01 - Chapter 1"
"House of Cards"