Kodi Community Forum
Beta Testflight access to beta version - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Supplementary Tools for Kodi (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=116)
+---- Forum: Kodi Remote for iOS Official Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=193)
+---- Thread: Beta Testflight access to beta version (/showthread.php?tid=359717)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - jbinkley60 - 2023-05-22

(2023-05-21, 22:19)Buschel Wrote: Thanks for sharing this insight. From what I understood, you are using a template which lets hyphens separate segments, e.g. "index - tv_show_title 1.01 - episode_name". I am reading this like "1.01" is following the tv show titie, the episode name is separated by "-". The remote app will have at least two rows, first with the episode name, second with tv show title. Your approach would point me to

a) NowPlayling and playlist type
"Chapter 1"
"House of Cards 1.01"

b) recently added
"1.01 - Chapter 1"
"House of Cards"

I guess you could call it a template.  I never thought of it like that but you are thinking about it right.  You could get away of not having the series name and just the 2.01 - Episode title approach as long as you are browsing the TV series hierarchy  (i.e. series name->season->episodes) but if the episodes ends up somewhere outside of the hierarchy (i.e. last played playlist, actor search on things they starred in and such) then the 2.01 - Episode title wouldn't give the user enough information to know what series the episode is associated with.  That's why I took the approach I did.  Also I prefer the visual appeal of 2.01 episode title vs. S02E01 or 2x01 type naming.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-22

Honestly I do not care for the 1.01 formatting at all. To me this looks like ebook chapters with subsections. I’d rather see the use of the 1x01 variant.

Seeing as you have already implemented a system for setting the style in settings and no concerns us can be made, why not make this a proper setting that users can define to this liking? I’m assuming you could develop a robust system to ensure consistent formatting wherever applicable in the app?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - jbinkley60 - 2023-05-22

(2023-05-22, 15:12)amasephy Wrote: Honestly I do not care for the 1.01 formatting at all. To me this looks like ebook chapters with subsections. I’d rather see the use of the 1x01 variant.

Seeing as you have already implemented a system for setting the style in settings and no concerns us can be made, why not make this a proper setting that users can define to this liking? I’m assuming you could develop a robust system to ensure consistent formatting wherever applicable in the app?

I concur with the user setting approach.  That was somewhat my point with how it is done with Mezzmo and Kodi.  The user can use any of the supported episode naming formats and the system is agnostic and will support them all, individually  or simultaneously.  I just prefer the 2.01 method myself and others will have other preferences.

Thanks,

Jeff

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-22

Well, if this is seen as important enough to add a setting, this can of course be done. It will need some better approach than what I implemented for testing though.
But this still leaves open the question on the style for playlist, NowPlaying and library view: with or without hyphen, leading episodes or trailing tvshow titles. Adding settings for this as well seems like overdoing to me.

I might be simplifying it a bit and not fully understanding what’s on the table here but my immediate thought is:

Library view: use just number of episode as everyone seemed to agree this looked the best.

Now Playing: Probably the least important view for this information in my eyes as the user would have had to of seen the season and episode number in order to start playback initially. Really have no comment here other than maybe just leave it as it is in special test. Ie: Season 1

Playlist: use user selected setting.

Don’t kill yourself trying to implement all of this though. I suggested user settings to help keep the app in the spirit of Kodi server where just about everything is fully customizable. I also realize the current user selection mechanism is simply hacked in at the moment.

One other thought. How are you planning to differentiate library views. For example when you are in global search vs tv show library. Global search would need season and episode number I would think, right?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-22

Just to be clear on "what's one table" Smile

1. Library view = only relevant for "Recently added episodes" (2nd toolbar icon in TV Shows)
2. Epsiodes view = similar to music album view (after selecting a TV Show)
3. Playlist
4. Playlist action sheet
5. NowPlaying
Global search just enters the "episodes view" as well, same as 2.
The relevant views are shown in these screenshots: https://abload.de/img/bildschirmfoto2023-0507c2r.png.

Important again: Each of those views has two rows with the relevant information. So, when adding the "1x01" / "1.01" information it must be decided for each view, if this is placed in first (episode name) or second row (tvshow title), and if leading (e.g. "1.01 - ") or trailing (e.g. " - 1.01" or simply "1.01").

I disagree that the NowPlaying does not need to show "1.01". The user might just play from a longer and persistent playlist or just connects the App after several episodes were already played.

Kodi server uses user configurable skins, the App does not have such concept. So, each desired user selectable variant ends up being a setting. I am not aware of a way to read the season/episode format used in the server. And it might not fit well for the App due to the different screen sizes and layout.

I see clearly now.

For screenshot one I think that looks great.

For the rest of them I assume you want the syntax to be identical across the four other screenshots or is that out for debate still?

My preference is still a single setting that affects the syntax in each of those remaining four screenshots. I think coming to a consensus will be difficult as everyone has different preferences.

Reason I was thinking the now playing didn’t need the episode number is it seemed the direction this was going as in this special build episode number was removed and it just says Season 1. I’m totally good with having the episode number here as well.

Edit: Final thought on this. The default skin for Kodi displays the S1E1 format when bringing up the OSD during playback.

Since there has been so much attention given to the now playing screen lately it made me think - is there any possibility to implement support for chapters on this screen like Kodi server has? Further, if that is possible, Kodi server displays chapter syntax like this: Chapter 01/0x

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-23

(2023-05-22, 21:57)amasephy Wrote: For screenshot one I think that looks great.
We are all on the same page here Smile
(2023-05-22, 21:57)amasephy Wrote: For the rest of them I assume you want the syntax to be identical across the four other screenshots or is that out for debate still?
Yes, I will look into a setting for this very item ("1.01", "1x01", S1E01", ...).
Still open though:
1. " - " or not when having "1.01" at the beginning?
2. " -" or when when having "1.01" at the end
3. Acceptable to have the seasons/episode index only in the second row for playlists ("tvshow_title - 1.02")?

On 1 and 2: Jeff's and UlfSchmidt's comments point to leaving this out (e.g. keeping only "1.01 Chapter 1" or "House of Cards 1.01").
(2023-05-22, 21:57)amasephy Wrote: Edit: Final thought on this. The default skin for Kodi displays the S1E1 format when bringing up the OSD during playback.
Yes, this was the reason for me to bring this up at all. But the default skin uses different styles: "1x01" in recently added, episode number only when browsing in the database and "E1S1" in NowPlaying. Not ideal.
(2023-05-22, 21:57)amasephy Wrote: Since there has been so much attention given to the now playing screen lately it made me think - is there any possibility to implement support for chapters on this screen like Kodi server has? Further, if that is possible, Kodi server displays chapter syntax like this: Chapter 01/0x
You are referring to audio books? I never looked into this. If so, can you share a link to such file for download?

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-23

For the chapters I mean for tv shows and movies. On Kodi server there are tic marks on the playback progress bar. When you use the skip forward and skip backwards buttons with content that has chapters it skips to the next tic mark. Movies in general have the chapters, especially from a Blu-ray/DVD rip.

The name of the chapter is sometimes displayed too. Some movies just have “Chapter X” as the name, other movies have actual named chapters.

I can provide a screenshot if needed but if you simply playback some movie rip you have and bring up the OSD in Kodi you’ll likely see it yourself.

Regarding the use of a hyphen or not- what happens when an episode starts with a number? This would look a little confusing without the hyphen. It would be relatively rare that content starts with a number but something to think about if using the 1.01 style.

If I’m reading the rest correctly,
I’d put the season episode in front of the title.

I honestly never noticed that Kodi server used an inconsistent style for episode numbering.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-05-23

I am not using any DVD rips at all, just 1 renamed ra ecording of an episode of Captain Future and a snippet of a free video. So I am not able to test the chapter feature.

About hyphen or not: The former Kodi API default style was using "1x01." (with a dot at the end). I guess this wastes less space than " - ". Personally I can live with just a space, especially if the leading "1.01" would only be used for the "recently added episodes" and nowhere else.

I guess it is time to prepare the PR and get this merged now to have in the next TF build. Then everyone can give it a try and see how this works out.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - amasephy - 2023-05-24

I used this tool to fix some of my earliest rips where I did not have the chapters included. You can use this to add chapters to any video source. It does not need to match the content.

https://chapterdb.plex.tv/

If you have a windows box you can possibly test with this.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-06-04

1.13 build 3993
Release Notes

This build provides user selectable TV Show episode naming and introduces EXIF info (if present) in the NowPlaying overlay screen. Also several improvements, bugfixes and maintenance updates were added. As always the details can be found in the Release Notes.

As next steps I am still having some refactoring changes coming up, after which we're heading to the next release.

Enjoy the weekend!

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-06-04

(2023-06-04, 16:54)Buschel Wrote: 1.13 build 3993
Release Notes

This build provides user selectable TV Show episode naming and introduces EXIF info (if present) in the NowPlaying overlay …

Another much appreciated update! Danke schön!

But unfortunately I stumbled upon a problem with the EXIF data presentation, but maybe it’s just on my system?
Only the date and the camera model are shown, despite the fact that all other data is also there - checked with many different images from various cameras:

I also noted that the image extension is sometimes shown in the playlist (after queuing a folder), and sometimes hidden (after adding a single image) - but this might be a server side error?
And adding a folder still brings the App close to a crash, as the playlist is updated for each queued image… (but this isn’t something new)

RE: Testflight access to beta version - Buschel - 2023-06-04

Hi @UlfSchmidt,

great to see such a quick feedback.

On the playlist topic:
This is for sure caused by the App reading the playlist each time it receives the signal from Kodi that the playlist was updated. I guess this is sent for each added image. Some simple debouncing mechanism via a timer could resolve this. I am adding this to my todo list.

On the EXIF:
Do you see the missing data in Kodi itself? The App assumes EXIF to be present as soon as the camera model is provided via the API. In your case obviously all other API requests are responded with an empty string ("").
Which Kodi version do you use, I am running 19.5 on Linux and receive all requested EXIF data.

RE: Testflight access to beta version - UlfSchmidt - 2023-06-04

(2023-06-04, 20:12)Buschel Wrote: Hi @UlfSchmidt,

great to see such a quick feedback.

On the playlist topic:
This is for sure caused by the App reading the playlist each time it receives the signal from Kodi that the playlist was updated. I guess this is sent for each added image. Some simple debouncing mechanism via a timer could resolve this. I am adding this to my todo list.

On the EXIF:
Do you see the missing data in Kodi itself? The App assumes EXIF to be present as soon as the camera model is provided via the API. In your case obviously all other API requests are responded with an empty string ("").
Which Kodi version do you use, I am running 19.5 on Linux and receive all requested EXIF data.

Now this is somehow weird. I am running the latest stable version 20.1 on an Nvidia Shield (i.e. Android TV). I receive EXIF(?) data on my big screen when I press the Info button, but it is another subset of image information, like camera manufacturer (really missing in your selection!), JPEG process (“baseline”), aperture mode (“automatic”), flash mode, image description, orientation or white balance (“auto”)!? But not one of the missing fields…

On my second system (LibreElec based and still on 17.6), it’s in fact fine. So it seems to be some kind of Kodi server issue, I presume?