Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Hitcher - 2021-02-24

Aside from asking your TV manufacturer to fix it no.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - alestew - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 11:21)Hitcher Wrote: Aside from asking your TV manufacturer to fix it no.
I doubt that will work out hehehe but thanks  Wink

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Martolk - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 11:02)alestew Wrote: @Martolk  the stuttering or judder where I notice it is in panoramic traveling scenes, only in Dolby Vision movies, I have done tests with all the Lord of the ring and the Hobbit movies and it happens in all. With mkv and with m2ts. I think that if Kodi detected the different refresh rates on the TV it would solve the problem

Later I'll try with The Lord of the rings The return of the king, which is 121 GB MP4 Dolby Vision remux. Actually, although the lower detected resolution on the TV, I'm not really sure, is there any noticable difference in quality between Kodi on Fire Cube (shows 4k resolution) and Kodi on the TV (shows 1080p). Maybe it's just the GUI interface, I don't know, but I think it should be noticable difference in quality on a 75 inch TV.

PS: Haw do you play it, local with a HDD in TVs USB or through the network resource?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - alestew - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 11:43)Martolk Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 11:02)alestew Wrote: @Martolk  the stuttering or judder where I notice it is in panoramic traveling scenes, only in Dolby Vision movies, I have done tests with all the Lord of the ring and the Hobbit movies and it happens in all. With mkv and with m2ts. I think that if Kodi detected the different refresh rates on the TV it would solve the problem

Later I'll try with The Lord of the rings The return of the king, which is 121 GB MP4 Dolby Vision remux. Actually, although the lower detected resolution on the TV, I'm not really sure, is there any noticable difference in quality between Kodi on Fire Cube (shows 4k resolution) and Kodi on the TV (shows 1080p). Maybe it's just the GUI interface, I don't know, but I think it should be noticable difference in quality on a 75 inch TV.

PS: Haw do you play it, local with a HDD in TVs USB or through the network resource?

mp4 does not read it from the usb on the tv player?
I connected the mkv DV from a hdd locally on the usb of the tv

I only tried with a episode of WandaVision which was mp4 DV and didn't payed it. Not played in HDR, just won't start it ("video can not played").

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - _feral_ - 2021-02-24

For those of you with issue on available resolutions.  I had the 2015 shield which was fine playing 4k HDR at 59hz, i got the 2019 shield pro and if i activated DV it would result in the black screen so my only option was to reset via a keyboard.  Rather than do that I changed the advanced settings which will reset to the previous setting after 12 seconds.  I connect via my amp and a 6m HDMI cable to the TV.  I had run 2 identical cables as they are in the wall and switching cable allowed the DV 59hz 4k setting to be chosen so worth checking that HDMI connection even if just reseating the same cable.

I also had micro stutters on the old setup which were still there on the pro.  I found that there was some TV processing on the HDR and Dolby vision cinema modes which are only visible when the TV is being fed the appropriate signal so worth checking those if they persist for you.

Many thanks for all the work that has gone in to this release, here's some feeback:

I watched Gemini Man last night (DV 59hz), flawless playback and zero micro stutters.  However, on around 3-4 occasions the screen would go blank, no loss of sound and then picture would restart and DV would flash up on the top right of the screen as if starting the film.  I rewound to before the points where the screen blanked out and it played smoothly so not an issue with the media.

I've got no advanced settings on my kodi installs.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mattmarsden - 2021-02-24

Is there anywhere I could download the earlier 32bit builds? Thanks

@alestel , I tried The Lord of the rings, but unfortunately it was two layers. Inbuilt player didn't play it. Kodi plays it, but in HDR. When I switch second video stream (DV) display stays all green. I also tried the Kodi instaled on the TV with SMB shared folder. It stutters at same scenes like the one installed on the Fire TV Cube. That means the problem is the SMB connection.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 01:48)MrMagic Wrote: And you also get the ability to play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) addon (64-bit only for now).

This changes today, 32bits version of Java for Android is up Smile

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-24

(2021-02-24, 22:28)Martolk Wrote: @alestel , I tried The Lord of the rings, but unfortunately it was two layers. Inbuilt player didn't play it. Kodi plays it, but in HDR. When I switch second video stream (DV) display stays all green. I also tried the Kodi instaled on the TV with SMB shared folder. It stutters at same scenes like the one installed on the Fire TV Cube. That means the problem is the SMB connection.

Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 
You can buy an OPPO 203 or one of it's clones if this format is important to you.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Braxnl - 2021-02-24

I can confirm the new build has no micro stutter on nvidia shield tv anymore and dolby vision fully works! I just enjoyed a full micro stutter free dolby vision movie, it’s awesome! Thx fandangos!!

(2021-02-24, 22:38)fandangos Wrote: Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 
You can buy an OPPO 203 or one of it's clones if this format is important to you.

Yes, I know it. It's not a problem. The only case I want to solve is stuttering when I'm playing from SMB resource. Do You have any ideas why it's happening? It stutters at same scenes, not randomly. It shouldn't be from the bandwidth. Even via internet (about 100 Mbit) I can play movies more than 50 GB, with bitrate more than 60 Mbit/s. The shared folder is in the local network and the read speed should be more than needed.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-25

(2021-02-24, 23:56)Martolk Wrote:
(2021-02-24, 22:38)fandangos Wrote: Only commercial players are able to play dual layer dolby vision content. 

Yes, I know it. It's not a problem. The only case I want to solve is stuttering when I'm playing from SMB resource. Do You have any ideas why it's happening? It stutters at same scenes, not randomly. It shouldn't be from the bandwidth. Even via internet (about 100 Mbit) I can play movies more than 50 GB, with bitrate more than 60 Mbit/s. The shared folder is in the local network and the read speed should be more than needed.

If it's in the same scenes this sounds very much like bandwidth botleneck.
Networking can have several points of bottlenecking.

You can trying sharing your files by other protocols from your NAS like NFS and see if that makes any difference.
Also confirm on your router that the wan negotiation is done at gigabit and not at 100mbit.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - chrisssj2 - 2021-02-25

I have a Minix uh-9 neo. I also Got the fellowship 4k remux mkv.
I got Kodi 19 updated on it and added my NAS network location for the remux.
But it plays HDR? Not Dolby vision.
Any idea?
When I go to video settings while playing the movie it says: "Filename" 1/5 Mjpeg 120x176 2/5 Mjpeg 213x120 3/5 Mjpeg 600x882 4/5 Mjpeg 1067x600 5/5"

Installed script.plex-0.1.8.zip as some say plex only runs DV?! not sure how that works never used it. But the zip file errored saying some dependancy confict of some sort.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-25

So, explaning about how multiple devices work with Dolby Vision and why some (many?) don't work with this build. 

With Dolby Vision what Kodi is doing is this:

movie file --> Kodi --> android media codec (surface) ---> TV
the android media codec is doing everything, reading the video data, decoding, rendering, outputing it, we don't have much control over it and don't know exactly what is is doing.

If you look at the code you will see OMX.Nvidia or OMX.MTK
If you are using a Nvidia Shield box you have OMX.Nvidia.DOVI for Dolby Vision and for some other players like the FireStick TV you have omx.mtk.video.decoder.dvhe, what this means is that, each android box player has a different black box. 
Each tv with android tv. 

This sadly, isn't standard. 
So what happens is that while it works with the shield and the firestick, it might not work on your android TV device. 
and even if we change the code to look for every single video decoder, it will not work, see the work that quietvoid did for the firestick, it is very different in the way it reads DV compared to the Shield. 

So, if it's not working for you, that's the cause and it's impossible to work out every single tv and box.
If someone wants to develop for the box he/she has at home, I can add the code to this build but beyond that, I don't see much else changing.