Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - eddownz - 2021-02-27

(2021-02-26, 20:18)m2k1980 Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 20:08)eddownz Wrote: Having the same issue with the latest build on this thread as I did last with version before. Playback freezes in the same spot for a good 20 seconds and then freezes over and over, bandwidth limitation error, which is strange as I have no issue with running HDR. Trying to play LOTR RotK DV. Tried with and without custom advanced settings.

Any suggestions?

try  to set Delay after change of refreshrate to disabled

Just tried this among many other changes and still having buffering freezing issues. I have an official kodi build (18.9 I think) playing HDR files absolutely fine, I can scrub through to any point and instant playback with no issues. Unfortunately this DV build is just not fully working, it often freezes, then speeds up with audio catch up, you cannot scrub without immense freezing, and sometimes buffering, literally unusable at the moment. I thought it might be a network issue as I am currently using 5ghz wifi to connect my Kodi to my router/server but that is getting around 250mbps throughput (according to iperf3) which should be ample.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-27

(2021-02-27, 00:46)eddownz Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 20:18)m2k1980 Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 20:08)eddownz Wrote: Having the same issue with the latest build on this thread as I did last with version before. Playback freezes in the same spot for a good 20 seconds and then freezes over and over, bandwidth limitation error, which is strange as I have no issue with running HDR. Trying to play LOTR RotK DV. Tried with and without custom advanced settings.

Any suggestions?

try  to set Delay after change of refreshrate to disabled

Just tried this among many other changes and still having buffering freezing issues. I have an official kodi build (18.9 I think) playing HDR files absolutely fine, I can scrub through to any point and instant playback with no issues. Unfortunately this DV build is just not fully working, it often freezes, then speeds up with audio catch up, you cannot scrub without immense freezing, and sometimes buffering, literally unusable at the moment. I thought it might be a network issue as I am currently using 5ghz wifi to connect my Kodi to my router/server but that is getting around 250mbps throughput (according to iperf3) which should be ample.

I'm a member of another forum that someone mentioned that after update 8.0 he would sell his nvidia shield tv pro because it was just impossible to use.
We were chatting and I could not understand how bad his experience was when I develop for the shield box, compiled apks and installed it, probably more than 100 times and my experience is outstanding.

I'm also pushing it really hard since my rclone webdav mount is sharing a very extensive library that only google drive could host.

I, like many others here have absolute no complains about Kodi, DV and the shield.
I have no idea if the latest firmware broke something for some.

But if you look at this thread, all the problems with the nvidia shield had the same root: wrong settings somewhere.
Or, getting the wrong apk and saying that DV doesn't work.

I would understand this if we were talking about PC, that has some many variables but with a closed box like the shield using the same software, there must be something breaking it.

The latest release has almost 300 downloads according to github stars. I don't think so many have a broken experience.

If you are able to figure out what's going on, please, let us know.
Also, look at some smb performance, try to serve the files using NFS.
There's so much that changed from Leia 18.9 to Matrix latest that it would be really hard to pin point what is causing this on a particular setup.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rugbyguy9 - 2021-02-27

(2021-02-26, 23:48)MrMagic Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 17:38)rugbyguy9 Wrote: Dolby Vision MKV's definitely do not work (single or dual layer). I tested using a single layer that was remuxed with MakeMKV v1.15.4 via USB to TV and it activates DV (most TV's should have a notification either at the top or bottom), but when playing that exact MKV via nVidia Shield TV 2019 (box) only HDR10 is activated.

Are you sure you're running the build from this thread and not the official Kodi 19? On my Shield Pro 2019, my TV correctly switches to DV when I play an MKV with DV.
 Oh thank you for pointing that out. You are correct, I am using the official 19 update.  Will this "thread build" be official soon?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MrMagic - 2021-02-27

(2021-02-27, 05:58)rugbyguy9 Wrote: Oh thank you for pointing that out. You are correct, I am using the official 19 update.  Will this "thread build" be official soon?

Probably not until the next major release of Kodi (20?). And only if by that time the required changes in the ffmpeg source code have been integrated / accepted by the ffmpeg devs.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - chrisssj2 - 2021-02-27

(2021-02-27, 11:56)MrMagic Wrote:
(2021-02-27, 05:58)rugbyguy9 Wrote: Oh thank you for pointing that out. You are correct, I am using the official 19 update.  Will this "thread build" be official soon?

Probably not until the next major release of Kodi (20?). And only if by that time the required changes in the ffmpeg source code have been integrated / accepted by the ffmpeg devs.
Is this threads buiilt better then the official one we have now for DV?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MMeirolas1 - 2021-02-27

Hello guys

Thx for making this possible Smile

Installed this build on my shield tv pro, immediately "Dolby Vision" popped up on my LG C7 Wink

The only issue i am encountering so far is that the colours are yellowish, changing picture profiles didn't help a lot... Already restarted the shield.

Is there any solution for this?

Thx a lot for the work
Chers

Edit: forget it: just deactivated dolby vision on the shield (2nd time) and now the colours are fine Smile

Take care guys

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - _feral_ - 2021-02-28

I'm finding that rips that played fine previously are not playing.  DV appears in top right of screen and audio plays fine but screen remains blank.  Toggling DV on the shield makes no difference, neither does restarting kodi, but if i reboot shield it play ok again.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MrMagic - 2021-02-28

(2021-02-27, 14:09)chrisssj2 Wrote: Is this threads buiilt better then the official one we have now for DV?

People should really read this thread first before asking the same question over and over again...

The official Kodi 19 build only supports DV for MP4 files and InputStream Adaptive streams, NOT FOR MKVs!

The build in this thread has been compiled with a different version of ffmpeg that allows detection of DV video streams in MKV files and telling your device's video decoder to treat them as DV streams.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Reckoner89 - 2021-02-28

(2021-02-28, 02:38)MrMagic Wrote:
(2021-02-27, 14:09)chrisssj2 Wrote: Is this threads buiilt better then the official one we have now for DV?

People should really read this thread first before asking the same question over and over again...

The official Kodi 19 build only supports DV for MP4 files and InputStream Adaptive streams, NOT FOR MKVs!

The build in this thread has been compiled with a different version of ffmpeg that allows detection of DV video streams in MKV files and telling your device's video decoder to treat them as DV streams.

Well it does get confusing as I've heard from several people that Dolby Vision works great with Kodi 19 including mkv's. They must be mistaken.

Is it worth using the modded 18.9 version (titled kodi-18.9-dv_slow_sources_fix_2.apk)? From this thread and the other one, some people say it's choppy while others say DV content plays smoothly.

Right now I'm using yusecope's modded ExoPlayer and I have the playercorefactory.xml to tell Kodi to use this for files with DV in the filename. It works great however it would be nice to be able to use the default player for everything as the ExoPlayer can't remember your progress if you stop a video and there are some occasional audio sync issues.

(2021-02-28, 03:21)Reckoner89 Wrote: Is it worth using the modded 18.9 version (titled kodi-18.9-dv_slow_sources_fix_2.apk)? From this thread and the other one, some people say it's choppy while others say DV content plays smoothly.

Right now I'm using yusecope's modded ExoPlayer and I have the playercorefactory.xml to tell Kodi to use this for files with DV in the filename. It works great however it would be nice to be able to use the default player for everything as the ExoPlayer can't remember your progress if you stop a video and there are some occasional audio sync issues.

Not sure about that 18.9 version, I never used it. Also it's not being maintained. Why not switch to the Kodi 19 build from this thread? Do you have issues with it? As a bonus, it will also play full blu-ray menus if you install the Java addon Smile

I've tried the ExoPlayer solution too and didn't like it for the same reasons you mentioned.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mattmarsden - 2021-02-28

Can the 32bit version now play blu-ray menus?

(2021-02-28, 12:38)mattmarsden Wrote: Can the 32bit version now play blu-ray menus?

Yes: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360250&pid=3016786#pid3016786

@fandangos Since your DV and full blu-ray menu builds have merged into one, wouldn't it be better to ask the moderators to merge the threads on the forum as well? And put all the information in one opening post?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-02-28

(2021-02-28, 12:47)MrMagic Wrote:
(2021-02-28, 12:38)mattmarsden Wrote: Can the 32bit version now play blu-ray menus?

Yes: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360250&pid=3016786#pid3016786

@fandangos Since your DV and full blu-ray menu builds have merged into one, wouldn't it be better to ask the moderators to merge the threads on the forum as well? And put all the information in one opening post?

I'm not so sure.
That could work with windows or linux users, for android I don't know.
It might be better to keep it separated to address questions in each respective thread.

But I, honestly don't know, might be a good idea or might confuse even more.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - chrisssj2 - 2021-02-28

How to know wether to use 32 or 64 bit on my mini ix uh-9 neo

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ragico - 2021-03-01

On GoogleChromecast with Google Tv I installed the 32 bit version (as the OS is 32 bit on this device).
All Mel DV mkv play perfectly.
All Fel DV mkv play for 5/6 seconds and then stop.
All Fel mkv play perfectly in Plex and in Emby.
Can you and @quietvoid do something for this problem?
Thanks @fandangos and @quietvoid