Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fera27 - 2021-03-04

(2021-03-03, 15:46)frrilay Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 15:12)fera27 Wrote: Hey guys! 
Sorry for the other dummy question, but it seems that FEL content is not displayed correctly (everything is green). Is anyone facing similar issue?
Am I correct, that I need to convert those into MEL? Do you have any hint how to do that?  Blush

What device do you use?
Ugoos AM6Plus, which has an S922X-J SOC.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - gil80 - 2021-03-04

Hi guys,

Can someone please direct me to download demo DoVi files (Mp4/MKV) of various profiles MEL/FEL? I'd like to test them on my Shield using the build from the 1st post.
Thanks.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - kinggo - 2021-03-04

(2021-03-04, 09:24)gil80 Wrote: Hi guys,

Can someone please direct me to download demo DoVi files (Mp4/MKV) of various profiles MEL/FEL? I'd like to test them on my Shield using the build from the 1st post.
Thanks.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018&pid=3009513#pid3009513

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mondemon - 2021-03-04

Hi! I am using the build from this thread. I tried playing all the test files on the Sony A1. They all get recognized as Dolby Vision, but there is a blue tint on all the scenes. Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mattmarsden - 2021-03-04

(2021-03-04, 03:22)fera27 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 15:46)frrilay Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 15:12)fera27 Wrote: Hey guys! 
Sorry for the other dummy question, but it seems that FEL content is not displayed correctly (everything is green). Is anyone facing similar issue?
Am I correct, that I need to convert those into MEL? Do you have any hint how to do that?  Blush

What device do you use?
Ugoos AM6Plus, which has an S922X-J SOC.
I'm using the same device and DV FEL play correctly although sometimes play choppily. What firmware are you on?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Angelots - 2021-03-04

Hi, tried this, multiple times, same result in errors. Thanks for the help

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Angelots - 2021-03-04

(2021-02-22, 13:36)A600 Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 15:34)Angelots Wrote: These errors are Leia branch specific

This is what I use for Leia (compiled and working with a clean WSL2 - Ubuntu 20 right now):
Code:
GET DEPENDENCIES:
sudo apt install autoconf build-essential curl default-jdk gawk git gperf lib32stdc++6 lib32z1 lib32z1-dev libcurl4-openssl-dev unzip wget zlib1g-dev

GET NDK & SDK:
wget https://dl.google.com/android/repository/android-ndk-r18-linux-x86_64.zip
wget https://dl.google.com/android/repository/commandlinetools-linux-6200805_latest.zip

mkdir -p /opt/android-tools/android-sdk-linux
unzip commandlinetools-linux-6200805_latest.zip -d /opt/android-tools/android-sdk-linux/cmdline-tools
unzip android-ndk-r18-linux-x86_64.zip -d /opt/android-tools

cd /opt/android-tools/android-sdk-linux/cmdline-tools/tools/bin
./sdkmanager --licenses
./sdkmanager platform-tools
./sdkmanager "platforms;android-26"
./sdkmanager "build-tools;25.0.3"

cd /opt/android-tools/android-ndk-r18/build/tools
aarch64:
./make-standalone-toolchain.sh --install-dir=/opt/android-tools/aarch64-linux-android/android-21 --platform=android-21 --toolchain=aarch64-linux-android
arm:
./make-standalone-toolchain.sh --install-dir=/opt/android-tools/arm-linux-androideabi/android-21 --platform=android-21 --toolchain=arm-linux-androideabi

CREATE SIGNING KEY:
mkdir -p $HOME/.android
keytool -genkey -keystore ~/.android/debug.keystore -v -alias androiddebugkey -dname "CN=Android Debug,O=Android,C=US" -keypass android -storepass android -keyalg RSA -sigalg SHA256withRSA -deststoretype pkcs12 -keysize 2048 -validity 10000

CLONE KODI:
cd $HOME/dev
git clone -b Leia --single-branch --depth 1 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc.git Kodi-Android-Leia
cd $HOME/dev/Kodi-Android-Leia

CONFIGURE KODI:
cd tools/depends
./bootstrap
aarch64:
./configure --disable-debug --with-tarballs=/opt/android-tools/xbmc-tarballs --host=aarch64-linux-android --with-sdk-path=/opt/android-tools/android-sdk-linux --with-ndk-path=/opt/android-tools/android-ndk-r18 --with-toolchain=/opt/android-tools/aarch64-linux-android/android-21 --prefix=/opt/android-tools/xbmc-depends-aarch64-Leia
arm:
./configure --disable-debug --with-tarballs=/opt/android-tools/xbmc-tarballs --host=arm-linux-androideabi --with-sdk-path=/opt/android-tools/android-sdk-linux --with-ndk-path=/opt/android-tools/android-ndk-r18 --with-toolchain=/opt/android-tools/arm-linux-androideabi/android-21 --prefix=/opt/android-tools/xbmc-depends-arm-Leia
make -j6

BUILD ADDONS:
make -j6 -C target/binary-addons

CMAKE & BUILD:
cd $HOME/dev/Kodi-Android-Leia
make -C tools/depends/target/cmakebuildsys
cd build
make -j6
make apk

Hi , tried this multiple times, same result in errors, thanks for the help

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - gil80 - 2021-03-05

(2021-03-04, 10:49)kinggo Wrote:
(2021-03-04, 09:24)gil80 Wrote: Hi guys,

Thanks.

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=360018&pid=3009513#pid3009513
Thanks.
I was able to play all the files on Kodi. I think the FEL and the Profile 7 files gave the wrong colours, but disabling and enabling DoVi on the Shield solved the problem.

Out of curiosity, I tried to test the internal TV player of my LG CX which supports DoVi. It can't play FEL and Profile 7. I mean, it doesn't trigger DoVi.
I thought my LG CX is a TV-led Dolby vision

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-03-05

Unfortunately I'm getting stuttering (yes, I'm using framerate matching) on all Kodi builds on all my Shields (Pro, 2015 and 2017). Would love this build to be working on my 2019 Pro, but there is so much stutter it is unwatchable for me.

It seems that all the ExoPlayer based players on the Nvidia Shield work fine for me (Plex, Emby, Nova, VLC) , Kodi just stutters all over the place, not sure why. Love the functionality and extra features of Kodi, but I find it to be unwatchable. Not paying for a Plex Pass or any of that stuff- all I want to do is watch movies locally- and Kodi is perfect for me- when it works.

Hope you guys get everything working.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Hitcher - 2021-03-05

Until you post a full debug log no-one can really help.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-03-06

(2021-03-05, 20:29)Hitcher Wrote: Until you post a full debug log no-one can really help.

There's no debug log to post because there's nothing wrong- it's just how Kodi is on the Shield. I've had multiple Shields since 2015 and Kodi has almost always had problems- I think it started around the Nougat firmware update, after that it was just never the same. Maybe I'm hypersensitive to it- but I definitely see a judder, especially during panning on film based (23.976) content. This is with framerate matching. With the Exoplayer based apps I don't see it.

I don't see it on my Coreelec boxes either.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Dylan Valenti - 2021-03-06

I think that this build doesn't support profile 5 DV mkv's, is there a way we could fix this?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-06

(2021-03-06, 20:49)Dylan Valenti Wrote: I think that this build doesn't support profile 5 DV mkv's, is there a way we could fix this?

Read a few pages back.

Kodi isn't doing any decoding. It's the device surface media codec that does it.

So, two thing:

One, what exactly uses profile 5 except those test video?

Two, at least the shield does support it but I didn't give much time into testing because, honestly, it's just profile 7 that matters.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Dylan Valenti - 2021-03-06

(2021-03-06, 21:23)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 20:49)Dylan Valenti Wrote: I think that this build doesn't support profile 5 DV mkv's, is there a way we could fix this?

Read a few pages back.

Kodi isn't doing any decoding. It's the device surface media codec that does it.

So, two thing:

One, what exactly uses profile 5 except those test video?

Two, at least the shield does support it but I didn't give much time into testing because, honestly, it's just profile 7 that matters.
I have a DV Web-dl of A New Hope and it's in profile 5 dv. It's in an mp4 container and I'm trying to get it in an mkv container. I mostly just wanted to experiment with this because the Star Wars UHD Blu-Rays don't have DV, only HDR10.

Oh just wanted to add that it plays perfectly fine in the mp4 container, so maybe there's a problem with my trying to transfer it to mkv