Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-06

(2021-03-06, 21:36)Dylan Valenti Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 21:23)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 20:49)Dylan Valenti Wrote: I think that this build doesn't support profile 5 DV mkv's, is there a way we could fix this?

Read a few pages back.

Kodi isn't doing any decoding. It's the device surface media codec that does it.

So, two thing:

One, what exactly uses profile 5 except those test video?

Two, at least the shield does support it but I didn't give much time into testing because, honestly, it's just profile 7 that matters.
I have a DV Web-dl of A New Hope and it's in profile 5 dv. It's in an mp4 container and I'm trying to get it in an mkv container. I mostly just wanted to experiment with this because the Star Wars UHD Blu-Rays don't have DV, only HDR10.

Vicent posted a video today that compared Star Wars HDR10 from UHD BD and DV from disney+.

https://youtu.be/XbN00Sm0Bsg

Since it doesn't go over 600 nits in any scene (so no need for a tone curve) and disney+ have a fair amount of compression compared to the UHD disc,
you will have a better experience with the UHD BD, which do work with this build (including the menus).

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Dylan Valenti - 2021-03-06

(2021-03-06, 22:41)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 21:36)Dylan Valenti Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 21:23)fandangos Wrote: Read a few pages back.

Kodi isn't doing any decoding. It's the device surface media codec that does it.

So, two thing:

One, what exactly uses profile 5 except those test video?

Two, at least the shield does support it but I didn't give much time into testing because, honestly, it's just profile 7 that matters.
I have a DV Web-dl of A New Hope and it's in profile 5 dv. It's in an mp4 container and I'm trying to get it in an mkv container. I mostly just wanted to experiment with this because the Star Wars UHD Blu-Rays don't have DV, only HDR10.

Vicent posted a video today that compared Star Wars HDR10 from UHD BD and DV from disney+.

Since it doesn't go over 600 nits in any scene (so no need for a tone curve) and disney+ have a fair amount of compression compared to the UHD disc,
you will have a better experience with the UHD BD, which do work with this build (including the menus).

Oh yeah, UHD BD all the way, I was just experimenting and seeing if I could get it to work. I'm gonna try the .mp4 > MKVToolNix > MakeMKV process and hope it works

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Reckoner89 - 2021-03-07

(2021-03-06, 23:15)Dylan Valenti Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 22:41)fandangos Wrote:
(2021-03-06, 21:36)Dylan Valenti Wrote: I have a DV Web-dl of A New Hope and it's in profile 5 dv. It's in an mp4 container and I'm trying to get it in an mkv container. I mostly just wanted to experiment with this because the Star Wars UHD Blu-Rays don't have DV, only HDR10.

Oh yeah, UHD BD all the way, I was just experimenting and seeing if I could get it to work. I'm gonna try the .mp4 > MKVToolNix > MakeMKV process and hope it works

I've done this many times. I does work.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Dylan Valenti - 2021-03-08

Experimenting with this and when I'm muxing all the files together with MKVToolNix, I set the first video track (the only video track) as a default track, and the first audio track (the only audio track) as a default track as well. I also have 14 subtitle tracks but I don't set any of them as default tracks. When I import the file into MakeMKV that way I can bring back the DV flag, MakeMKV sets the outputted video's first audio track and the first subtitle track as the default tracks instead of the first video and first audio. Is there any way to choose which tracks to set as default tracks in MakeMKV?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Dylan Valenti - 2021-03-08

(2021-03-08, 08:51)Dylan Valenti Wrote: Experimenting with this and when I'm muxing all the files together with MKVToolNix, I set the first video track (the only video track) as a default track, and the first audio track (the only audio track) as a default track as well. I also have 14 subtitle tracks but I don't set any of them as default tracks. When I import the file into MakeMKV that way I can bring back the DV flag, MakeMKV sets the outputted video's first audio track and the first subtitle track as the default tracks instead of the first video and first audio. Is there any way to choose which tracks to set as default tracks in MakeMKV?

NVM, I found that if you switch it to expert mode, and view each track with MKV Flags, you can add or remove a "d" to make a track default or not.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - otarie - 2021-03-08

hey there, will this install as a separate instance of kodi or will it just update my kodi from the playstore?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-08

(2021-03-08, 20:16)otarie Wrote: hey there, will this install as a separate instance of kodi or will it just update my kodi from the playstore?

Separate.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fera27 - 2021-03-10

(2021-03-04, 12:13)mattmarsden Wrote:
(2021-03-04, 03:22)fera27 Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 15:46)frrilay Wrote: What device do you use?
Ugoos AM6Plus, which has an S922X-J SOC.
I'm using the same device and DV FEL play correctly although sometimes play choppily. What firmware are you on?
Hi there!
Just checked, it says it's 0.3.9.1 firmware version, but when I search for updates, this is stated as the latest.
Maybe I need to manually sideload a never firmware from Ugoos site?

I have another question, on Coreelec I am using mattblovell's kodi_panel which utilises JSON-RPC built into Kodi, and it works properly.

This does not work on this DV Android build in this topic. Is it safe to assume, that json_rpc functionality is not included in this build?
Or JSON_RPC functionality is not in any Android-based Kodi builds at all?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - jjd-uk - 2021-03-10

(2021-03-10, 12:36)fera27 Wrote: I have another question, on Coreelec I am using mattblovell's kodi_panel which utilises JSON-RPC built into Kodi, and it works properly.

This does not work on this DV Android build in this topic. Is it safe to assume, that json_rpc functionality is not included in this build?

JSON_RPC is available on all builds of Kodi. Have you perhaps been caught out by a security change in v19 where the remote access port is now disabled by default? so check your settings in the Services section.

(2021-03-10, 13:36)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-03-10, 12:36)fera27 Wrote: I have another question, on Coreelec I am using mattblovell's kodi_panel which utilises JSON-RPC built into Kodi, and it works properly.

JSON_RPC is available on all builds of Kodi. Have you perhaps been caught out by a security change in v19 where the remote access port is now disabled by default? so check your settings in the Services section.
You were absolutely right! Thanks!

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Vonsid83 - 2021-03-12

Just writing this message to say thank you for this build. I have been using it for the past two weeks and it read perfectly all the Dolby Vision files i've been throwing at it, with no visible problems at all. It's perfect for my use, because Dolby Vision support was really the only missing thing from Kodi to fulfill all my A/V needs.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DrBara - 2021-03-13

Hello everybody

Can you just tell us the standard shield/Kodi settings to play MKV OR DV MP4 with out any micro stuttering?

Every thing is going fine and the build is working but i am experiencing stuttering for seconds while i watch MKV or MP4 DV movies from my library.

HDR10 is excellent with out any single mistakes.

I am using the shield pro 2019 and external USB drive to play from.

Trying both the official and this build .. all are the same. I thought that this is related from my HDD, but also online streaming files with DV give me the same experience.

My shield sitting is on DV 60 HZ
My screen is LG CX

Any comment or help. I am giving my experience to help you all reaching the final strong update of this build

Thank you

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mgittelman - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-13, 23:10)DrBara Wrote: Hello everybody

Can you just tell us the standard shield/Kodi settings to play MKV OR DV MP4 with out any micro stuttering?

Every thing is going fine and the build is working but i am experiencing stuttering for seconds while i watch MKV or MP4 DV movies from my library.

Trying both the official and this build .. all are the same. I thought that this is related from my HDD, but also online streaming files with DV give me the same experience.

My screen is LG CX

Any comment or help. I am giving my experience to help you all reaching the final strong update of this build

Thank you

This is not really a fix, because I can't figure it out either, but pausing and resuming, or rewinding a few seconds seems to help me with the DV files.  I'd be curious if that makes a difference for you.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DrBara - 2021-03-14

(2021-03-14, 01:52)mgittelman Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 23:10)DrBara Wrote: Hello everybody

My screen is LG CX

Thank you

This is not really a fix, because I can't figure it out either, but pausing and resuming, or rewinding a few seconds seems to help me with the DV files.  I'd be curious if that makes a difference for you.

I think this helps, at least while we are waiting for a great fix that deal with it. Sad