Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rome - 2021-03-14

I just flashed the minix u22 with the ugoos am6 0.4 firmware and all my mkv rips trigger dolby vision. In the settings you can choose between player led and tv led, I did tv led. Dolby atoms pass thru working also. Only problem I have is when stopping the movie, it does not go back to the kodi menu. Tv is a 85X900H.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - jedd_ai - 2021-03-15

(2021-03-14, 23:25)rome Wrote: I just flashed the minix u22 with the ugoos am6 0.4 firmware and all my mkv rips trigger dolby vision. In the settings you can choose between player led and tv led, I did tv led. Dolby atoms pass thru working also. Only problem I have is when stopping the movie, it does not go back to the kodi menu. Tv is a 85X900H.

I also have Minix with the same firmware.

Where did you change the settings to TV led?
I cannot find it.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rome - 2021-03-15

(2021-03-15, 01:03)jedd_ai Wrote:
(2021-03-14, 23:25)rome Wrote: I just flashed the minix u22 with the ugoos am6 0.4 firmware and all my mkv rips trigger dolby vision. In the settings you can choose between player led and tv led, I did tv led. Dolby atoms pass thru working also. Only problem I have is when stopping the movie, it does not go back to the kodi menu. Tv is a 85X900H.

I cannot find it.
In the dolby vision settings I have 2 options. Dolby vision enable and dolby vision low latentcy. Low latentcy is player led.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - mattmarsden - 2021-03-15

Could you point me to where you get the Ugoos firmware for the Minix? Thanks

(2021-03-15, 01:36)rome Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 01:03)jedd_ai Wrote:

I cannot find it.
In the dolby vision settings I have 2 options. Dolby vision enable and dolby vision low latentcy. Low latentcy is player led.

I only can see Dolby vision enable and Dolby vision disable options. Only my test mkvs show black screen. Where did you get your firmware from?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rome - 2021-03-15

(2021-03-15, 10:39)jedd_ai Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 01:03)jedd_ai Wrote: I also have Minix with the same firmware.

I cannot find it.

I only can see Dolby vision enable and Dolby vision disable options. Only my test mkvs show black screen. Where did you get your firmware from?

https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=967658&st=620#entry103863672

(2021-03-15, 12:57)rome Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 01:36)rome Wrote: In the dolby vision settings I have 2 options. Dolby vision enable and dolby vision low latentcy. Low latentcy is player led.

https://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=967658&st=620#entry103863672

I am using 0.4.0 from the same source. Strange.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Amjak - 2021-03-15

(2021-03-15, 01:03)jedd_ai Wrote: I also have Minix with the same firmware.

I cannot find it.

Your tv have to support both (like the lg c9 or cx) then you can choose between the two options

(2021-03-15, 16:39)Amjak Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 01:36)rome Wrote: In the dolby vision settings I have 2 options. Dolby vision enable and dolby vision low latentcy. Low latentcy is player led.

Your tv have to support both (like the lg c9 or cx) then you can choose between the two options
@Amjak @rome thanks for your help!

My TV is LG C6.
It is old and I guess it only supports TV led DV. 

After messing around with this version of Kodi it turned out that video only displayed when Adjust Refresh Rate option is on. Otherwise it's black screen. 

For some reasons profile 4, 5 and 8 failed to play and profile 7 played with some flickering at the start. 
Anyone can suggest a good set of mkv samples to test?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fera27 - 2021-03-15

Hey guys, does seeking work for you with Kodi19DV-Final-libbluray-aarch32.apk properly?

Every time I seek even one second, playback goes to stuttering (frame change in every 2-3 seconds, unwatchable, audio is continous although) and I have to toggle play/pause a million times and seek around to somehow get back stutterless playback.

DL formats (mp4) which were converted with toolnix -> makemkv were always stuttering, SL formats (ts) with the same workflow are playing correctly until I try to seek somewhere in the movie.

Have you experienced this also?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rome - 2021-03-16

(2021-03-15, 23:27)jedd_ai Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 16:39)Amjak Wrote:
(2021-03-15, 10:39)jedd_ai Wrote: I only can see Dolby vision enable and Dolby vision disable options. Only my test mkvs show black screen. Where did you get your firmware from?

@Amjak @rome thanks for your help!

My TV is LG C6.
It is old and I guess it only supports TV led DV. 

After messing around with this version of Kodi it turned out that video only displayed when Adjust Refresh Rate option is on. Otherwise it's black screen. 

For some reasons profile 4, 5 and 8 failed to play and profile 7 played with some flickering at the start. 
Anyone can suggest a good set of mkv samples to test?

I only test my mkv rips. Profile 7 is the only one that matters imo.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - rome - 2021-03-16

Now we just a dev to port CoreELEC to 32bit and we could have this working without android.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - movie78 - 2021-03-16

Which download version 64 bits (AARCH64) or 32 bits (ARM) is for Nvidia Shield Pro?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DrBara - 2021-03-16

(2021-02-23, 14:34)fandangos Wrote: About micro stuttering:

Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz.
There's no reason to use 23hz in Kodi OSD.

There's no need to use any resolution in whitelist, unless you have an external upscaler like the Envy by Madshi.

Let kodi with the default resolution to 4k 60hz.

Enable change refresh rate.
And set on start/stop.

From day one that I have build the first apk there's no micro stuttering except in a very very specific use case like Hoppel that wants (for some reason) to have 23.976fps movies to be played at 50fps which is common to PAL regions and it's not a number that can have 3.2 pulldown.

The rest, if I had to guess, is people how read about it here and just see motion judder caused by 23.976 content and refers to it as micro stuttering.
What you are seeing is the frame being displayed for a longer time during 1 second, this causes motion blur. This is a native problem to flat panel displays.

If you want this gone, you can do frame interpolation, many tvs have this and you will get the famous Soap Opera effect.

Or you can use black frame insertion. This will add a black frame between every frame which will solve motion blur and judder but will cause a significant reduction of brightness.

But again, when we use the exact same box, the exact same software and some have this problem and some others don't the only logical conclusion is: there's some setting you are turning it on that's causing this.

Stop over complicating stuff and leave everything to default and just enable change refresh rate.

Hello Fandangos

Thank you for this excellent effort.

I have tried many times many options to play 4K DV on my LG CX . But i am still complaining of unusual buffeting only with 4K DV and only on Kodi.

I have tried every available option but unfortunately nothing succeed. Yesterday my Kodi app fail to passthrough Dolby Atmos after a long time buffering with one of MP4 movies, then i did a hard restart to my shield 2019.

I think the shield was forced to do something above its specification or that thing forced the shield to utilize too much memory until a corruption happened at the end.

Now, i am forced to do a factory reset of my new shield tv. I hope this helps.

I will write an update after i finish the factory reset of my shield and see if this fix every thing or the problem is from Kodi itself

I am using

Shield tv pro 2019
Lg CX 65
LG SN11R sound-bar

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - kalima - 2021-03-16

Hello,

Thank for this amazing work ! 

I have little question, DV support is also enabled for ISO File format with this build ? or only MKV ?