Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - movie78 - 2021-03-21

(2021-03-18, 21:42)Bedders1 Wrote:
(2021-03-18, 19:55)Bedders1 Wrote:
(2021-03-18, 16:23)Amjak Wrote: I have a lg c9 and I can choose tv led and Player led and both trigger dolby vision with this kodi mod. But it is buggy sometimes I have to start a dolby vision mkv movie 3 or 4 time's and seek around before it plays well without stuttering

My device is a ugoos am6 plus

OK it is only on some rips buggy, some work great

Thanks for the info. What about the inbuilt movieplayer does that trigger DV on both and how stable is the playback? Are you also getting Atmos (within TrueHD)?

Update: I was able to get DV to trigger in this Kodi build with display mode “Dolby vision enable with low latency (YUV)” (the only option I have besides DV disabled)
I was stupidly testing with the play store version. However I cannot DV to work at all with the inbuilt movieplayer.
Atmos pass through on Kodi is also unstable and cuts out every few seconds. Atmos works fine in Coreelec.
Coreelec with DV would be ultimate. Really wish they would do a 32 bit build so they can include DV support
Are you saying you were able to get DV to trigger with ISO file that has both HDR/DV content?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Amjak - 2021-03-21

(2021-03-21, 06:19)movie78 Wrote:
(2021-03-18, 21:42)Bedders1 Wrote:
(2021-03-18, 19:55)Bedders1 Wrote: Thanks for the info. What about the inbuilt movieplayer does that trigger DV on both and how stable is the playback? Are you also getting Atmos (within TrueHD)?

Update: I was able to get DV to trigger in this Kodi build with display mode “Dolby vision enable with low latency (YUV)” (the only option I have besides DV disabled)
I was stupidly testing with the play store version. However I cannot DV to work at all with the inbuilt movieplayer.
Atmos pass through on Kodi is also unstable and cuts out every few seconds. Atmos works fine in Coreelec.
Coreelec with DV would be ultimate. Really wish they would do a 32 bit build so they can include DV support
Are you saying you were able to get DV to trigger with ISO file that has both HDR/DV content?

The Name of this thread is "Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV" 
so we are talking about Dolby Vision MKVs, not about ISO

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - araemo - 2021-03-24

(2021-02-23, 14:34)fandangos Wrote: About micro stuttering:

Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz.
There's no reason to use 23hz in Kodi OSD.

There's no need to use any resolution in whitelist, unless you have an external upscaler like the Envy by Madshi.

Let kodi with the default resolution to 4k 60hz.

Enable change refresh rate.
And set on start/stop.

From day one that I have build the first apk there's no micro stuttering except in a very very specific use case like Hoppel that wants (for some reason) to have 23.976fps movies to be played at 50fps which is common to PAL regions and it's not a number that can have 3.2 pulldown.

The rest, if I had to guess, is people how read about it here and just see motion judder caused by 23.976 content and refers to it as micro stuttering.
What you are seeing is the frame being displayed for a longer time during 1 second, this causes motion blur. This is a native problem to flat panel displays.

If you want this gone, you can do frame interpolation, many tvs have this and you will get the famous Soap Opera effect.

Or you can use black frame insertion. This will add a black frame between every frame which will solve motion blur and judder but will cause a significant reduction of brightness.

But again, when we use the exact same box, the exact same software and some have this problem and some others don't the only logical conclusion is: there's some setting you are turning it on that's causing this.

Stop over complicating stuff and leave everything to default and just enable change refresh rate.

So, I went through and made sure I was using the same settings (only real difference: My TV doesn't advertise dolby vision for 4k@60hz, only [email protected], so that's what the shield is set to.  In multiple MakeMKV ripped DV MKVs (Multiple Game of Thrones episodes) I get hitches in playback - audio keeps going but picture freezes.. anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds, and then I get frame skips (the video appears fastforwarded) until the video catches up with the audio.  Same MKVs in mainline Matrix play perfectly at HDR10, no 'microstuttering' or 'macrostuttering'. Wink

I've tried rebooting the shield before tests to make sure nothing else is running in the background, and it doesn't seem to help consistently.  Sometimes it plays the files pretty well with minimal stuttering, other times it's basically unwatchable.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DaMacFunkin - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 02:29)araemo Wrote:
(2021-02-23, 14:34)fandangos Wrote: About micro stuttering:

Set the shield output to YCBCR 422 HDR Dolby Vision 60hz.
There's no reason to use 23hz in Kodi OSD.

There's no need to use any resolution in whitelist, unless you have an external upscaler like the Envy by Madshi.

Let kodi with the default resolution to 4k 60hz.

Enable change refresh rate.
And set on start/stop.

From day one that I have build the first apk there's no micro stuttering except in a very very specific use case like Hoppel that wants (for some reason) to have 23.976fps movies to be played at 50fps which is common to PAL regions and it's not a number that can have 3.2 pulldown.

The rest, if I had to guess, is people how read about it here and just see motion judder caused by 23.976 content and refers to it as micro stuttering.
What you are seeing is the frame being displayed for a longer time during 1 second, this causes motion blur. This is a native problem to flat panel displays.

If you want this gone, you can do frame interpolation, many tvs have this and you will get the famous Soap Opera effect.

Or you can use black frame insertion. This will add a black frame between every frame which will solve motion blur and judder but will cause a significant reduction of brightness.

But again, when we use the exact same box, the exact same software and some have this problem and some others don't the only logical conclusion is: there's some setting you are turning it on that's causing this.

Stop over complicating stuff and leave everything to default and just enable change refresh rate.

So, I went through and made sure I was using the same settings (only real difference: My TV doesn't advertise dolby vision for 4k@60hz, only [email protected], so that's what the shield is set to.  In multiple MakeMKV ripped DV MKVs (Multiple Game of Thrones episodes) I get hitches in playback - audio keeps going but picture freezes.. anywhere from a fraction of a second to several seconds, and then I get frame skips (the video appears fastforwarded) until the video catches up with the audio.  Same MKVs in mainline Matrix play perfectly at HDR10, no 'microstuttering' or 'macrostuttering'. Wink

I've tried rebooting the shield before tests to make sure nothing else is running in the background, and it doesn't seem to help consistently.  Sometimes it plays the files pretty well with minimal stuttering, other times it's basically unwatchable.
I actually dislike the shield pro 2019 and I’ve got 2 of them, it’s is so buggy.
Like you say it will play smooth then all of a sudden it starts to glitch or frame skip, not just on DV with Kodi.
I have loads of problems with apps on shield, some times rebooting a couple of times fixes them , my particular bug bear at the moment js Disney + only offers me 1080 and HD sound, sometimes a couple of reboots or toggling Dolby Vision will fix it but not always where as the D+ app on my TV works every time with Dolby Vision and Atmos.
Oh don’t get me started on Prime video and built in Chromecast- grrr.
Hate the shield.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - catshome - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 08:03)DaMacFunkin Wrote: Hate the shield.

here you can perhaps better address your frustration ->  Shield TV Community

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - JimVR4 - 2021-03-24

Love the Shield!

@fandangos Thank you so much for creating this fork for Kodi DV support!

I can report that on the 2019 ShieldTV I am getting DV as well as TrueHD audio in perfect sync on the demos, but more importantly I am getting the same on all my new MKV rips of the LOTR Extended Editions where I have joined disc one and two to play seamlessly!
My setup has these huge ( > 140GB ) files stored on a Win10 server and the ShieldTV is setup using SMB network access.  The same files trigger DV on my Plex client however the TrueHD audio does not properly sync in Plex.
The Plex app on the Shield also has a problem with playing stacked files as it will only play disc one and never play disc two, but a Win10 client plays the same stacked files.

Overall I can't say how pleased I am with having this capability.  Now I hope the dev team can get this fork merged into the main branch so I can avoid having two Kodi apps (which confused me at first).

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - xavierlehnsherr - 2021-03-24

Same. I have shield pro 2019 and have no issues with the latest kodi build from here. I only use match frame rate and never experienced any sort of stuttering Angel

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - A_Guest - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 18:51)xavierlehnsherr Wrote: Same. I have shield pro 2019 and have no issues

except for the lack of FEL support and the red push Tongue

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Reckoner89 - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 21:19)A_Guest Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 18:51)xavierlehnsherr Wrote: Same. I have shield pro 2019 and have no issues

True, this problem still exists but come on, the difference is so incredibly negligible it's laughable that a few people are actually outraged over this issue.

(2021-03-24, 22:16)Reckoner89 Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 21:19)A_Guest Wrote:

True, this problem still exists but come on, the difference is so incredibly negligible it's laughable that a few people are actually outraged over this issue.
definitely not negligible on my OLED in a pitch-black room. I bet your TV is not professionally calibrated if you don't care about this kind of accuracy. Nothing wrong with you but laughing at those who care about accuracy is not cool.
The only thing laughable is NVIDIA incapability of fixing the issue when literally every single other streaming devices don't have problems ( firestick, dune, chromecast, ugoos)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-24

(2021-03-24, 22:55)A_Guest Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 22:16)Reckoner89 Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 21:19)A_Guest Wrote: except for the lack of FEL support and the red push Tongue
definitely not negligible on my OLED in a pitch-black room. I bet your TV is not professionally calibrated if you don't care about this kind of accuracy. Nothing wrong with you but laughing at those who care about accuracy is not cool.
The only thing laughable is NVIDIA incapability of fixing the issue when literally every single other streaming devices don't have problems ( firestick, dune, chromecast, ugoos)

P7 FEL do work on the SHIELD.

OLED B9 calibrated with CalMan here.
I also own the OPPO 203 and develop exclusive on the shield.

I have yet to face all the mythical problems expressed here, stuttering that for some is for every content, others 1080p only, others Dolby Vision only others just when switching from 50hz.

Now the new one is red push.
I have to say that I have yet to notice any difference from the oppo 203 using actual disks and remuxed content.

I had my mother in law over watching a ton of Dolby Vision content with the Shield while taking care of the baby.

I have yet, after months developing for it, to see anything that you guys mention here.

(2021-03-24, 23:06)fandangos Wrote: P7 FEL do work on the SHIELD.
The shield can play FEL files but it's not decoding the EL and it uses only the dynamic metadata in RPU. So you don't get the full DV experience.
The only devices that can do FEL are bluray players, Ugoos/minix and Chromecast(not confirmed). Even the expensive Dune player that support DV ISO cant even decode FEL.

About the red push issue, check at the 2-minute mark in the Doctor Sleep bluray disc. The difference between my Bluray player X700 and my shield is night and day.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - movie78 - 2021-03-25

Any one know what the way to extract Dolby Vision Content from a UHD ISO, I know this not the right right to ask but I have tried MakeMKV and it only extract the HDR content.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-25

(2021-03-24, 23:43)A_Guest Wrote:
(2021-03-24, 23:06)fandangos Wrote: P7 FEL do work on the SHIELD.
The shield can play FEL files but it's not decoding the EL and it uses only the dynamic metadata in RPU. So you don't get the full DV experience.
The only devices that can do FEL are bluray players, Ugoos/minix and Chromecast(not confirmed). Even the expensive Dune player that support DV ISO cant even decode FEL.

About the red push issue, check at the 2-minute mark in the Doctor Sleep bluray disc. The difference between my Bluray player X700 and my shield is night and day.

Fix your bluray player.

Or get a good one like the oppo or the panasonic.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-03-25

(2021-03-25, 00:00)movie78 Wrote: Any one know what the way to extract Dolby Vision Content from a UHD ISO, I know this not the right right to ask but I have tried MakeMKV and it only extract the HDR content.

Update to the latest make mkv?