Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Kristijan1001 - 2021-04-05

Sony Android TV Here. Dolby Vision icon shows up top right corner. But the movie has black screen, if i pause it the screen shows up, if i unpause it goes back to black screen.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - quietvoid - 2021-04-05

If it's a FEL movie, your TV can't play FEL.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - kinggo - 2021-04-05

(2021-04-05, 06:09)quietvoid Wrote: If it's a FEL movie, your TV can't play FEL.

hmmmm.....on my TV FEL plays fine but does not trigger DV or HDR

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - nohajc - 2021-04-05

(2021-04-05, 02:53)Kristijan1001 Wrote: Sony Android TV Here. Dolby Vision icon shows up top right corner. But the movie has black screen, if i pause it the screen shows up, if i unpause it goes back to black screen.
Which model?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MOHAX777 - 2021-04-05

(2021-04-03, 15:26)fandangos Wrote: So, P7 FEL enhancement layer is kinda impossible for anything that's not a uhd bd player

Ugoos AM6+ can fill process FEL (EL + RPU). It has S922XJ SoC witch can simultaneously process several HEVC-stream. But now some troubles with your Kodi DV-mod: sometimes HDR-resinc during playback DV-FEL and glitches with rewind.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - KrispyKreme - 2021-04-05

any good skins out there that show the Dolby Vision icon on those specific movies?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Amjak - 2021-04-05

(2021-04-05, 20:21)MOHAX777 Wrote:
(2021-04-03, 15:26)fandangos Wrote: So, P7 FEL enhancement layer is kinda impossible for anything that's not a uhd bd player

Ugoos AM6+ can fill process FEL (EL + RPU). It has S922XJ SoC witch can simultaneously process several HEVC-stream. But now some troubles with your Kodi DV-mod: sometimes HDR-resinc during playback DV-FEL and glitches with rewind.
The just player or the vimu Video player don't have any glitches, as long as passthrough is not activated, or any true-hd sound track is selected

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Hitcher - 2021-04-05

(2021-04-05, 21:09)KrispyKreme Wrote: any good skins out there that show the Dolby Vision icon on those specific movies?

It would have to be one that searches for the string in the file name as Dolby Vision isn't an info label.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DaMacFunkin - 2021-04-06

(2021-04-05, 21:58)Amjak Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 20:21)MOHAX777 Wrote:

The just player or the vimu Video player don't have any glitches, as long as passthrough is not activated, or any true-hd sound track is selected
Which isn’t really useful is it?
Lack of HD audio puts us back at square one on this quest.

Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - movie78 - 2021-04-06

2. Kodi uses FFMpeg and Dolby Vision inside matroska files uses an extended block that needs to be seen by FFmpeg and passed to Kodi to send to the decoder. 

Dolby Vision MKV is not yet implemented in FFMpeg. While FFMpeg doesn't add support, there's nothing Kodi can do. 

Does this means Dolby Vision MKV files created with makemkv are not well decoded.
Excuse my ignorance but I would like to understand that statement.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MOHAX777 - 2021-04-06

(2021-04-05, 21:58)Amjak Wrote: The just player or the vimu Video player don't have any glitches, as long as passthrough is not activated, or any true-hd sound track is selected

yes, Vimu more stable (but Totall Recall with FEL sometime freeze pictures after rewind).
But I want DV and HD-sound one time Smile

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Amjak - 2021-04-06

(2021-04-06, 07:50)DaMacFunkin Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 21:58)Amjak Wrote:
(2021-04-05, 20:21)MOHAX777 Wrote: Ugoos AM6+ can fill process FEL (EL + RPU). It has S922XJ SoC witch can simultaneously process several HEVC-stream. But now some troubles with your Kodi DV-mod: sometimes HDR-resinc during playback DV-FEL and glitches with rewind.
Which isn’t really useful is it?
Lack of HD audio puts us back at square one on this quest.
Of course, you are right. It depends on what setup you have, I only have a Dolby Atmos soundbar, it doesn't make much a difference for me if I use the dts, ac3 or the true-hd soundtrack.
But if you own a true dolby atmos speaker setup it's of of course a great loss

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - nohajc - 2021-04-06

(2021-04-06, 10:41)movie78 Wrote: 2. Kodi uses FFMpeg and Dolby Vision inside matroska files uses an extended block that needs to be seen by FFmpeg and passed to Kodi to send to the decoder. 

Dolby Vision MKV is not yet implemented in FFMpeg. While FFMpeg doesn't add support, there's nothing Kodi can do. 

Does this means Dolby Vision MKV files created with makemkv are not well decoded.
It doesn't matter how the mkv was created but ffmpeg (which is used for demuxing) needs to parse the track metadata correctly. That's why this patched Kodi build also uses patched ffmpeg.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - hceuterpe - 2021-04-06

So this build has me pretty pumped. I've ripped several Dolby Vision discs from my UHD collection that I ran through the latest version of makemkv to try both DV MEL and FEL titles. So far I have tried Spartacus and Wonder Woman 1984 ( FEL) and Alita Battle Angel (MEL). Seems to play ALL of them. Colors look ok. No skipping. Since they also have that HDR10 base , also slick that the official kodi version plays the HDR10 track without hiccup. For each title the Dolby Vision indicator kicks in on my TV and my HDfury also reports 4K23.976 RGB 8b 4:4:4 DV 297mhz as expected for my setup. My eyes aren't the best unless I'm comparing side-by-side but I want to say that the DV output does indeed appear slightly different, specifically slightly better.

This is definitely looking like a real possibility to be my solution to backing up my UHD disc collection, like I've already been doing for MY BD discs! My TV is an LG GX 65".

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - movie78 - 2021-04-07

(2021-04-06, 20:57)nohajc Wrote:
(2021-04-06, 10:41)movie78 Wrote: 2. Kodi uses FFMpeg and Dolby Vision inside matroska files uses an extended block that needs to be seen by FFmpeg and passed to Kodi to send to the decoder. 

It doesn't matter how the mkv was created but ffmpeg (which is used for demuxing) needs to parse the track metadata correctly. That's why this patched Kodi build also uses patched ffmpeg.
Are getting the best DV output or are getting something else, depending on the media device we are using?