Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DaMacFunkin - 2021-06-23

I think he is asking can it trigger DoVi from a file that contains both video streams as separate tracks DTDL, the HDR10 layer and the Enhancement layer, the answer no, is these need to be muxed in to a single track Dual Layer file STDL with Makemkv.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-06-27

I just tried Vimu on my Shield. While it is a very basic player it does play Dolby Vision back on the Shield properly with no stuttering whatsoever. It also will auto-switch refresh rates and resolutions, and bitstream.

Kodi on the Shield (even 2015 and 2017 models) have almost always stuttered. There was a point on my 2015, maybe before the nougat upgrade, where it didn’t, but after it was never the same.

Now if I want stutter-free playback I use Nova for HDR10/HD/SD playback, and Vimu for DV. If and when Nova adds DV support I’ll almost certainly rely upon that exclusively.

Not sure what Kodi is doing differently, it’s too bad I could never get it working right on any of my Shields (works great on my Coreelec boxes).

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - JimVR4 - 2021-06-29

(2021-06-27, 07:19)Wagg Wrote: I just tried Vimu on my Shield. While it is a very basic player it does play Dolby Vision back on the Shield properly with no stuttering whatsoever. It also will auto-switch refresh rates and resolutions, and bitstream.

Kodi on the Shield (even 2015 and 2017 models) have almost always stuttered. There was a point on my 2015, maybe before the nougat upgrade, where it didn’t, but after it was never the same.

Now if I want stutter-free playback I use Nova for HDR10/HD/SD playback, and Vimu for DV. If and when Nova adds DV support I’ll almost certainly rely upon that exclusively.

Not sure what Kodi is doing differently, it’s too bad I could never get it working right on any of my Shields (works great on my Coreelec boxes).
Works great on 2019 Shield Pro

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-07-03

(2021-06-29, 21:13)JimVR4 Wrote: Works great on 2019 Shield Pro

Nah, it doesn’t. I think I’m just very sensitive to microstutters. Kodi on the Shield always had a problem with them (even with frame rate switching), where other video players like Nova and VLC don’t.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Ahmadss - 2021-07-04

(2021-06-27, 07:19)Wagg Wrote: I just tried Vimu on my Shield. While it is a very basic player it does play Dolby Vision back on the Shield properly with no stuttering whatsoever. It also will auto-switch refresh rates and resolutions, and bitstream.

Just downloaded Vimu in my sheild 2019 and it keep stuttering when steam DV movies.(WEB 2160p DOVI release) Same as kodi

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Jivko12 - 2021-07-04

I tried Kodi, Vimu and Emby on a Shiled 2019 (Tube). They all stutter to the point where DV is unplayable. Is there any way to play DV mkvs without stutter. I am regretting my decision to buy the Shield as I already have an Odroid N2 Coreelec which works perfectly for regular HDR.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Hitcher - 2021-07-04

(2021-07-04, 14:23)Jivko12 Wrote: Is there any way to play DV mkvs without stutter.

Use the Pro and not the Tube as it doesn't have enough RAM.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-07-04

(2021-07-04, 14:23)Jivko12 Wrote: I tried Kodi, Vimu and Emby on a Shiled 2019 (Tube). They all stutter to the point where DV is unplayable. Is there any way to play DV mkvs without stutter. I am regretting my decision to buy the Shield as I already have an Odroid N2 Coreelec which works perfectly for regular HDR.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.brouken.player

Try Justplayer. Any player based off Exoplayer should not stutter.

Edit- You're using the Tube. I have no idea about that. Try Justplayer anyways, it's about as basic as you can get.

Thanks for the tip. Just player works great. The only issue is that the subtitles are eye searingly bright.

Scratch that. Just Player does not stutter, but blacks about out every minute and redisplays the Dolby Vision badge. I have LG B9.

Resolved the black flickering. It was due to my AVR.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-07-05

One day, after testing a ton of different players you will come to the conclusion of what was said months ago.

The problem is the Nvidia Shield firmware not the video players.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Wagg - 2021-07-06

(2021-07-05, 12:02)fandangos Wrote: One day, after testing a ton of different players you will come to the conclusion of what was said months ago.

Maybe, then why does ExoPlayer based players and players like Nova have stutter-free playback?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - crisosma - 2021-07-06

(2021-07-04, 21:13)Jivko12 Wrote: Resolved the black flickering. It was due to my AVR.
Did you manage to make the tube work with dolby vision? I was checking the thread and it looks like other users with the tube can make it work.
I am planning in buying a nvidia shield but I need to know first if I need to buy the pro version, I don't want to expend more money than necessary. I will only use to watch movies.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-07-06

(2021-07-06, 03:30)Wagg Wrote:
(2021-07-05, 12:02)fandangos Wrote: One day, after testing a ton of different players you will come to the conclusion of what was said months ago.

Maybe, then why does ExoPlayer based players and players like Nova have stutter-free playback?

On your setup.

Same question goes: why do I have stutter free playback with Kodi and some don't?