Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - acefr - 2021-07-22

(2021-07-22, 10:39)grayson99 Wrote:
(2021-07-21, 21:53)acefr Wrote:
(2021-07-21, 21:47)acefr Wrote: If you use Maven's build, choose master non-Fire TV. It can install in parallel with the official one from Play store. However, even though it triggers DV, it still stutters on Shield, so it is not working for me yet.
For Tube Shield TV, use 32 bit. For Shield TV Pro, use 64 bit.
Which one is 64 bit? I can only see v7 and v8. Thanks for your help.

The one with arm64 in the filename for 64 bit. It says v8.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - acefr - 2021-07-22

(2021-06-22, 23:33)CK1one Wrote:
(2021-06-22, 00:45)bladed98 Wrote: Does anyone know if Kodi 19.1 is able to play multi-HDR *.mkv file backups with Dolby Vision?
I've enabled Dolby vision in shield and if the mkv is just Dolby Vision it plays fine as Dolby Vision and tv recognizes Dolby Vision layer and plays it as such.
If the backup contains HDR10 and Dolby Vision then only HDR 10 version plays...tv is a90j. Colors are fine, but Dolby Vision is not triggered.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

try this build from kodinerds.
it triggers dv and works perfectly fine, at least on my a80j Wink
I sideloaded kodinerds 32 bit to my a80j, same stuttering result as my Shield. I guess I will try exoplayer.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - KrispyKreme - 2021-07-23

Does anybody have a video or something of this micro stutter people are talking about? The reason I ask is because when any movie plays DV or not, it goes into 24p mode which the native frame rate for pretty much the majority of all movies. From what is seems on my Sony OLED, it looks just about right. Are you guys playing back the movies in 60hz or 24hz?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - DaMacFunkin - 2021-07-23

(2021-07-23, 06:07)KrispyKreme Wrote: Does anybody have a video or something of this micro stutter people are talking about? The reason I ask is because when any movie plays DV or not, it goes into 24p mode which the native frame rate for pretty much the majority of all movies. From what is seems on my Sony OLED, it looks just about right. Are you guys playing back the movies in 60hz or 24hz?
If you have any sort of ‘smoothing’ or bfi on your TV either by choice or default you won’t see it.
On my shieldpro in the it isn’t just limited to DV it is most things that are not 60hz, the machine starts ok when you hit play but you can almost guess when it is going to creep in.
Oddly or rather logically the only problem I don’t have this with is interlaced content.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - grayson99 - 2021-07-23

(2021-07-22, 20:01)acefr Wrote:
(2021-07-22, 10:39)grayson99 Wrote:
(2021-07-21, 21:53)acefr Wrote: For Tube Shield TV, use 32 bit. For Shield TV Pro, use 64 bit.
Which one is 64 bit? I can only see v7 and v8. Thanks for your help.

The one with arm64 in the filename for 64 bit. It says v8.
Thanks

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - acefr - 2021-07-27

(2021-07-22, 20:09)acefr Wrote:
(2021-06-22, 23:33)CK1one Wrote:
(2021-06-22, 00:45)bladed98 Wrote: Does anyone know if Kodi 19.1 is able to play multi-HDR *.mkv file backups with Dolby Vision?
I've enabled Dolby vision in shield and if the mkv is just Dolby Vision it plays fine as Dolby Vision and tv recognizes Dolby Vision layer and plays it as such.
If the backup contains HDR10 and Dolby Vision then only HDR 10 version plays...tv is a90j. Colors are fine, but Dolby Vision is not triggered.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

try this build from kodinerds.
it triggers dv and works perfectly fine, at least on my a80j Wink
I sideloaded kodinerds 32 bit to my a80j, same stuttering result as my Shield. I guess I will try exoplayer.
After trying exoplayer in Kodi, it is a hit and miss. It does play more DV streaming than Kodi built-in player, but I ran into audio and subtitle lagging issues. It also does not seem to do auto frame rate adjustment, so it stays in the Shield standard 60Hz. The worst part is it still cannot play some DV streaming, so it will stop in the middle of streaming. It could be a ripping issue. I think DV in Kodi still has a lot of work to be done before it will work, and maybe I will re-visit it in the future when these issues are sorted out.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - HannL - 2021-07-27

Hi!

I am using Dune HD Pro Vision 4K Solo. Which Kodi-build should I use to be able to playback DV inside .mkv? Can you please provide a link to this?
I have already tried "kodinerds-20210720-3fdf4542d2-master-ATV-armeabi-v7a.apk" and "kodinerds-20210508-85e05228b4-Matrix-armeabi-v7a.apk", but neither of them were able to playback DV for me.

Thanks for any info!

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - grayson99 - 2021-07-29

I have downloaded kodinerds arm64 on my shield pro connected through a Denon amp to an LG c9 oled. When I play DV movies the Dolby Vision flag comes up but then keeps going off and on throughout the movie. Any ideas?

Thanks

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - frrilay - 2021-07-29

(2021-07-29, 10:51)grayson99 Wrote: I have downloaded kodinerds arm64 on my shield pro connected through a Denon amp to an LG c9 oled. When I play DV movies the Dolby Vision flag comes up but then keeps going off and on throughout the movie. Any ideas?

Thanks

If your shield is connected directly to the amp, try connecting it to the TV.
I have the same setup and have the same issue (Denon AVR 650H). I think I read somewhere this is a bug with the LG TV.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - acefr - 2021-07-29

(2021-07-29, 10:51)grayson99 Wrote: I have downloaded kodinerds arm64 on my shield pro connected through a Denon amp to an LG c9 oled. When I play DV movies the Dolby Vision flag comes up but then keeps going off and on throughout the movie. Any ideas?

Thanks

I did some more testing on my shield pro with kodiners arm64. My Shield is connected to the TV directly and the audio is via eARC to my AVR. The streaming part is not working, but local file playback is ok. It plays local file smoothly, and Dolby Vision flag on my TV (Sony A80J) comes up and stays. The search is not working well, and it hangs if I try to move forward or backward a few minutes. If I stream the same file via an add-on, it will hang after a few minutes.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - dontfeedphils - 2021-07-29

(2021-07-29, 19:36)acefr Wrote:

Thanks

I did some more testing on my shield pro with kodiners arm64. My Shield is connected to the TV directly and the audio is via eARC to my AVR. The streaming part is not working, but local file playback is ok. It plays local file smoothly, and Dolby Vision flag on my TV (Sony A80J) comes up and stays. The search is not working well, and it hangs if I try to move forward or backward a few minutes. If I stream the same file via an add-on, it will hang after a few minutes.

Have you tried the apk in the OP of this thread?  I've been running the 19.0 apk from the OP and haven't had an issue.  I'm not running through an AVR, but I will be soon, so hopefully I don't run into the same issue.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - grayson99 - 2021-07-29

(2021-07-29, 19:48)dontfeedphils Wrote:

Thanks

Have you tried the apk in the OP of this thread?  I've been running the 19.0 apk from the OP and haven't had an issue.  I'm not running through an AVR, but I will be soon, so hopefully I don't run into the same issue.

I will try the OP APK and try direct and report my findings.

Thanks

Will try direct tomorrow and let you know.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - grayson99 - 2021-07-30

It's the amp. Works perfect direct to TV.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - acefr - 2021-07-30

(2021-07-29, 19:48)dontfeedphils Wrote:

Thanks

Yes, I did. It was the first apk I tried. If I stream a DV video via an Add-On, it would only play for a minute or so before it hangs. Local file playback is probably ok. When you say "no issue", do you mean no issues playing local files? Streaming over your local home network? Or streaming over internet via an Add-On?