Kodi Community Forum
Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Release Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV (/showthread.php?tid=360018)

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Angelots - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 01:29)Angelots Wrote:
(2021-01-27, 00:04)lepoilu Wrote: Thank you for the work done Wink

I was just about to reply to you, but I can see your statement about android tv apps in tv not able to output more than 1080p.

Because I wanted to know where you got that fact from and where I can find it.

Because if I compare the native disney plus 4K, Netflix 4K with the same sample on Kodi and Plex can’t seem to see the difference even when I am pixel peeping.

And no I don’t have upscaling settings on, everything artificial enhancement in the settings are off.

Even if I compare it to the image coming from a hdmi output where the shield is playing native 4K Disney plus or Kodi , can’t see the difference in sharpness..

I do see minor Color and white balance difference but nothing to do with sharpness.

Wanted to say can’t seem to find your statement.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - lepoilu - 2021-01-27

Hello,

Indeed, I wanted to talk about the Android interface on TV, which has nothing to do with the work done here on the DV, the why I modified.
From my side, it's very stable on Shield TV and DV MKV.

I was able to have the DV on all five files.
P4_LG_Dolby_Trailer
P5_Dolby_Amaze
P7_FEL_GIJoe_The_Ris
P7_MEL_GIJoe_The_Ris
P81_GlassBlowing2_38 ...
It can happen as already explained, that the color is not good any more, but these are only test files which have a different encoding, an android restart to restore order.
Conversely, no problem with DV MKV movies

Thank you

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Variant - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-25, 01:39)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2021-01-24, 18:33)hoppel118 Wrote: [quote="blackreign66" pid='3009234' dateline='1611498177']
But @blackreign66 's finding brought me to the idea to check, if this is also the case with Kodi 18.9. So I installed @sk83 custom Kodi 18.9 build from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349140&pid=2997742#pid2997742

and configured the following advancedsettings.xml

xml:
<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>157286400</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

Ahaaaa!!! This build plays Gemini Man without micro stutter. Big Grin

@hoppel118

Using this version and your advancedsettings, I see no Micro-stutter on 1080p.

Starting to think it could be a Matrix issue but I haven’t tested a non-DV release yet.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - gil80 - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 03:44)Variant Wrote:
(2021-01-25, 01:39)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2021-01-24, 18:33)hoppel118 Wrote:
(2021-01-24, 16:22)blackreign66 Wrote:  
But @blackreign66 's finding brought me to the idea to check, if this is also the case with Kodi 18.9. So I installed @sk83 custom Kodi 18.9 build from here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349140&pid=2997742#pid2997742

and configured the following advancedsettings.xml

xml:
<advancedsettings>
<cache>
<buffermode>1</buffermode>
<memorysize>157286400</memorysize>
<readfactor>20</readfactor>
</cache>
</advancedsettings>

Ahaaaa!!! This build plays Gemini Man without micro stutter. Big Grin

@hoppel118

Using this version and your advancedsettings, I see no Micro-stutter on 1080p.

Starting to think it could be a Matrix issue but I haven’t tested a non-DV release yet.

I thought for the Shield the
<memorysize>314572800</memorysize> is actually preferable (a 1/3 of 900MB free RAM)

What I don't understand is why <readfactor>20</readfactor>?

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Variant - 2021-01-27

[/quote]

<memorysize>314572800</memorysize> is actually preferable (a 1/3 of 900MB free RAM)

[/quote]

I’lll admit I don’t really understand any of the cache stuff. I’ve always used default values over the years with no issues until now.

All I know is I have micro-stutter on 1080p 23.967 content with the Matrix DV builds I’ve tested here, regardless of what settings I enter.

The 18.9 build with hoppel’s settings just works. I have no idea why. I haven’t tested an official Matrix build so I don’t know if the stutter is a Matrix thing or not.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - araemo - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-26, 22:19)Angelots Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 21:57)araemo Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 20:56)jayf95 Wrote: Thanks to everyone involved whose been working on this. I am out of the loop and new to this (haven't had time to commit to properly research) but have read through this thread and some of the makemkv threads as best as I could. I was hoping someone could answer a few questions for me:

My setup: Sony x900h (v 6.0414--> should have TV led DV) connected via HDMI eARC to my Yamaha RX-V585 AVR, and have an atmos speaker setup (so I need my files in MKV so I can get TrueHD with Atmos audio)
I use makemkv 1.15.4 to convert my 4k HDR rips (BD structure) to MKVs. Mediainfo suggests that the DV layer is preserved. When I get home I'll update this, but I believe it reads something along the lines of 07.06 BL-EL-RPU. 

1) I've previously used PLEX to play my files. DV worked for some of them but not others (despite having the same DV profile as far as I could tell). Granted, it stopped working after I updated my TV and/or PLEX. 
As I understand it, I need to install custom builds of KODI onto my TV to get DV capabilities. Most people here use a shield, but there seems to be at least 1-2 people that have gotten DV working on the x900h with KODI. How do I install these custom builds via usb? Is it packaged as an .apk file? Which build should I use?

2) Do I need to edit anything within the build or files? Ie. do I need to change my workflow to go from BD structure to mkv--> is using makemkv sufficient?

3) Do I playback files over the network, or can it work via direct play off an external HDD?

4) How do I tell which DV profile my MKVs have? How can I tell if its dual layer vs single layer (as I understand makemkv converts it such that the mkvs are single layer?). Are there specific profiles that wont work on the x900h/kodi?

Thanks again for everyones work and thanks in advance for your help.

1/5: The limitations on apps running in the TV's Android TV interface (other than the 'blessed' apps) is why I got a Shield TV.  I had hoped that I wouldn't need to buy another shield TV given the built-in android TV, but as far as I could tell, kodi running on the TV itself couldn't even output 4k.  When I displayed 4k test patterns with kodi, they did not have ANYWHERE near the level of detail/resolution expected.  Think grey blobs instead of 1/2/3 pixel width lines.  Kodi running on Shield TV plugged into HDMI 1, with my speaker system plugged into HDMI 3 with eARC enabled, plays 4k HDR, with TrueHD or Master Audio passthrough (and atmos passthrough on both DD+ and TrueHD, and DTS:X on both DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA).. basically, the only thing I'm lacking is proper dolby vision support.  I haven't tried any builds in this thread yet - I am waiting for matrix to be released in general so I don't have to worry about my DB being version bumped between different players on my network.

3: Kodi doesn't care where the file is stored, as long as it can access it fast enough for the file's bitrate.

4: MediaInfo can often tell you what DV profile a file has (if the container/profile is supported by MediaInfo, at least)

I am a little skeptical about your findings that the Kodi in app Sony Android tv can’t output 4K, with the matrix dv built I am getting everything out of it including vision, only thing is missing is the trueHD, that’s why I opted for a shield tv tube.

Could you link me your test patern files so can compare what details you are talking about?? Thanks for your findings...

I got the test pattern here: https://vah.dy.fi/testcard/
But those are png files, which I didn't think kodi could open (I might be mistaken, kodi does have a 'photos' option, doesn't it?  I always remove that option.. and looking at it, I think it will scale them to the UI resolution, which on the sony is locked to 1080p), so I converted it to a very high quality h265 mp4.  All the single-pixel high frequency areas were blurred: The lower left and right, the gamma test patterns, and the halftones - all just uniform blurs instead of stripes or checkerboards.

The other thing that got me to switch to shield is the silly 100mbit nic in the sony TV.  I have UHD blu-ray rips that have bitrates higher than that.  There's basically no way to consistently play them on the TV over wired ethernet, regardless of buffer settings.

I'm not sure what a good file host is to share the mp4 versions of the test card.  They're not very large, but I don't know that I want to host them off a personal google drive.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - Angelots - 2021-01-27

(2021-01-27, 15:46)araemo Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 22:19)Angelots Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 21:57)araemo Wrote: 1/5: The limitations on apps running in the TV's Android TV interface (other than the 'blessed' apps) is why I got a Shield TV.  I had hoped that I wouldn't need to buy another shield TV given the built-in android TV, but as far as I could tell, kodi running on the TV itself couldn't even output 4k.  When I displayed 4k test patterns with kodi, they did not have ANYWHERE near the level of detail/resolution expected.  Think grey blobs instead of 1/2/3 pixel width lines.  Kodi running on Shield TV plugged into HDMI 1, with my speaker system plugged into HDMI 3 with eARC enabled, plays 4k HDR, with TrueHD or Master Audio passthrough (and atmos passthrough on both DD+ and TrueHD, and DTS:X on both DTS-HD and DTS-HD MA).. basically, the only thing I'm lacking is proper dolby vision support.  I haven't tried any builds in this thread yet - I am waiting for matrix to be released in general so I don't have to worry about my DB being version bumped between different players on my network.

3: Kodi doesn't care where the file is stored, as long as it can access it fast enough for the file's bitrate.

4: MediaInfo can often tell you what DV profile a file has (if the container/profile is supported by MediaInfo, at least)

I am a little skeptical about your findings that the Kodi in app Sony Android tv can’t output 4K, with the matrix dv built I am getting everything out of it including vision, only thing is missing is the trueHD, that’s why I opted for a shield tv tube.

Could you link me your test patern files so can compare what details you are talking about?? Thanks for your findings...

But those are png files, which I didn't think kodi could open (I might be mistaken, kodi does have a 'photos' option, doesn't it?  I always remove that option.. and looking at it, I think it will scale them to the UI resolution, which on the sony is locked to 1080p), so I converted it to a very high quality h265 mp4.  All the single-pixel high frequency areas were blurred: The lower left and right, the gamma test patterns, and the halftones - all just uniform blurs instead of stripes or checkerboards.

The other thing that got me to switch to shield is the silly 100mbit nic in the sony TV.  I have UHD blu-ray rips that have bitrates higher than that.  There's basically no way to consistently play them on the TV over wired ethernet, regardless of buffer settings.

I'm not sure what a good file host is to share the mp4 versions of the test card.  They're not very large, but I don't know that I want to host them off a personal google drive.

Yeah, I agree with the Ethernet port being max 100mb. Had the same problem and switched to WiFi ac. All the bottelnecks problems on higher bitrate files were gone...

(2021-01-27, 15:57)Angelots Wrote:
(2021-01-27, 15:46)araemo Wrote:
(2021-01-26, 22:19)Angelots Wrote: I am a little skeptical about your findings that the Kodi in app Sony Android tv can’t output 4K, with the matrix dv built I am getting everything out of it including vision, only thing is missing is the trueHD, that’s why I opted for a shield tv tube.

Yeah, I agree with the Ethernet port being max 100mb. Had the same problem and switched to WiFi ac. All the bottelnecks problems on higher bitrate files were gone...

Wow, just tried this test file (4k Test pattern mkv) and surely couldn't see the difference with movies even when pixel-peeping, but with this test file you can definitely see the pixels if your tv is outputting 4k.

Why would they put this limitation on the tv apps, its just another middle finger to the consumer. 

Not true, only Gui is 1080p, source file is native 4k.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - gil80 - 2021-01-28

(2021-01-27, 15:42)Variant Wrote:  

[/quote]

I’lll admit I don’t really understand any of the cache stuff. I’ve always used default values over the years with no issues until now.

All I know is I have micro-stutter on 1080p 23.967 content with the Matrix DV builds I’ve tested here, regardless of what settings I enter.

The 18.9 build with hoppel’s settings just works. I have no idea why. I haven’t tested an official Matrix build so I don’t know if the stutter is a Matrix thing or not.
[/quote]

Have you tried this build: kodi-18.9-dv_slow_sources_fix_2.apk ?
I wonder if it overwrites the existing 18.9 because I had issues with this build and the stock 18.9. Every change I've done on the stock, affected the modded build as well.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ragico - 2021-01-29

Thanks @fandangos, @quietvoid et all. 
Great job.
In shield many (more than 20) DV mkv play perfectly. Only 4 play audio only and no video (namely Black Panther, Doctor Sleep, Collateral and Three days of Condor that play normally in Plex).
The 32 bit build do not work in Firestick 4k, It  hangs and causes Firestick to return to the home page.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - fandangos - 2021-01-29

That's odd.

@quietvoid is the one that has a FS to test.
I'm only working with the shield.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - quietvoid - 2021-01-29

(2021-01-29, 02:30)ragico Wrote: The 32 bit build do not work in Firestick 4k, It  hangs and causes Firestick to return to the home page.

The build in the first post works perfectly for me.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - MrMagic - 2021-01-29

(2021-01-29, 02:30)ragico Wrote: Thanks @fandangos, @quietvoid et all. 
Great job.
In shield many (more than 20) DV mkv play perfectly. Only 4 play audio only and no video (namely Black Panther, Doctor Sleep, Collateral and Three days of Condor that play normally in Plex).
The 32 bit build do not work in Firestick 4k, It  hangs and causes Firestick to return to the home page.
I tested the DV MKV remux of Black Panther on the Shield with the 64-bit version and it works just fine including video.

RE: Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - ragico - 2021-01-30

Yes, my bad. I have redone the 4 mkv and now all works fine.
As far as the firestick 4k my bad again. The problem was caused by a lack of internal memory in the firestick.
Thanks again.

Kodi Android build with support for Dolby Vision MKV - hoppel118 - 2021-01-30

(2021-01-30, 01:22)ragico Wrote: The problem was caused by a lack of internal memory in the firestick.

For other people with the same or a similar problem: How did you recognize that it’s a lack of internal memory and how did you solve it?

Regards Hoppel