Kodi Community Forum
Despiring in Artist Information - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: Music Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=263)
+--- Thread: Despiring in Artist Information (/showthread.php?tid=360499)

Despiring in Artist Information - AchWas - 2021-02-14

Hi,

after hours of searching and reading different sources, I'm stuck ... and registered me in that forum. Better is it to tell, what I want to achive. It's simple but, I can't bring it to work.

I'm not able to use the new ArtistInformation feature. It's great that is there ... but ... As I've read in the dokumentation I would need a file called artist.nfo. Its a simple XML structure. First I'd tried to build up a structure from scratch with the Artist Name and the artist.nfo in there. Not working.

I've also read that I can make a export of the library which creates the file structure and the artist.nfo files too. That worked, but I'dont understand how to make a working file. When in KODI, nothing is displayed on the Artist Page.

The Artist Information Folder in KODI has now for every Artist Folders. I modify artist.nfo in different ways, the last version is this ...

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>
<artist>
    <name>Maite Hontelé</name>
    <sortname>Maite Hontelé</sortname>
    <type/>
    <gender/>
    <disambiguation/>
    <genre>Latin</genre>
    <style/>
    <mood/>
    <yearsactive/>
    <born/>
    <formed/>
    <biography>Maite Hontelé ist eine Trompeterin aus Holland ... bla bla bla.</biography>
    <died/>
    <disbanded/>
    <thumb aspect="poster" preview="">folder.jpg</thumb>
    <!--thumb aspect="clearlogo" preview="">clearlogo.png</thumb-->
    <!--thumb aspect="banner" preview="">banner.jpg</thumb-->
    <path>smb://xxxxx:yyyyy@nas/Daten/Musik/MP3/_ArtistInformation/Maite Hontelé</path>
    <fanart>
        <thumb preview="">fanart.jpg</thumb>
    </fanart>
</artist>

I just want that, a picture, and a background picture is shown and a text for the Artist, which I can define within the nfo. Please can sombody have mercy with me, and tell me how to achive this. This could not be so hard, but maybe I'm too dumb to understand or to find the correct information. Interessting for me, it seems, is the exact syntax after "disbanded" .... how to define and to load the jpgs in the ArtistInformation folder.

Thx

RE: Despiring in Artist Information - Karellen - 2021-02-14

@AchWas

The library entries for music are created from the embedded tags in the song files.

You cannot create a library from nfo files in music (different to the video library). NFO files for music add a bit of "cream on top" to the info already in your library.

See My Signature below for helpful links.

RE: Despiring in Artist Information - AchWas - 2021-02-14

I think I know. I don't want to create library entities like a songtitle. My complete mp3 library is properly tagged, and working perfectly in kodi. No, I will provide a folder and background pictures for a particular artist. As I'm understood so far, this has to be done in the artist.nfo, not in mp3 tags.

My problem is, how to tell kodi via the xml-nfo file, to load the jpgs for a particular artist. And is there a difference between a background or folder picture, or what the people call fanart? For me it is ok, only to have the folder and background pic. And is the path argument in the NFO ... correct .... or how to write it that kodi can find the files?

RE: Despiring in Artist Information - Karellen - 2021-02-14

(2021-02-14, 21:24)AchWas Wrote: , I will provide a folder and background pictures for a particular artist. As I'm understood so far, this has to be done in the artist.nfo, not in mp3 tags.
No, you don't need an nfo file for artwork. You simply add the artwork into the artist folder and name it correctly. See section 3 here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Music_artwork#Local_Artwork

Then you can Refresh the Artist to scan the new artwork into Kodi.

RE: Despiring in Artist Information - scott967 - 2021-02-15

Yes, it was not clear if you did a refresh on the artists after you added the art and edited nfo file.

I think your nfo file is good.

scott s.