Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Harro - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 00:00)EventDriven Wrote: Here is what I did to make this work. As others said, I needed to reference via IP instead of server name. Basically, I exported my library as a single file and changed all references from my server name to IP. I did the same in passwords.xml and sources.xml. Finally I copied the changed xml files, re-imported the library and then cleaned the library. Maybe there's a simpler way that will work for some but this is what worked for me. Here are the steps I used in a little more detail.
  • Make sure your NAS has a static IP
  • In SMB settings in Kodi, change the minimum required version to SMB1 if you don't currently have a value there
  • Go into file explorer in Kodi and add a source to connect to your NAS share via IP. For example for SMB it would be smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that. I think you need to use a username and password. In any case, I am.
  • Navigate to your profiles directory. Copy passwords.xml and sources.xml to your share.
  • Backup your library to your NAS as a single file
  • Make a backup copy of all the stuff you copied to your NAS in case you need to restore them: the sources, passwords and the library backup.
  • In each of passwords.xml, sources.xml and videodb.xml in your backup folder, using a text editor find and replace your_server_name with the IP address of your server, e.g, 123.123.1.123.
  • Copy passwords.xml and settings.xml back to Kodi and restart Kodi.
  • Import your library by pointing to the backup folder where you edited videodb.xml.
  • Clean you library to remove duplicate entries that are referencing your server name instead of IP. This might take awhile if you have a large library so don't panic.
As I said, maybe there's an easier way that will work for some but this is what worked for me.
This is all well and done, it works, I had to put a password in my windows sign-on but it does work
The elephant in the room.....
IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
If you are on a router and the router is shut down ie power failure. Texas are you listening.
The router assigns a new ip to the server and the smb://123.123.1.123/my_share  is no longer a share.
So set up all shares over or
-you will have to set up a static IP on all the serving boxes.
Have you read the instructions to do this with win10Huh

So really all this effort just to run a buggy version of KODI..

18.9 is looking better all the time.

Best if Kodi just works the way we like it.
I reserve all my IP's in the router, that way if power goes out all the devices are re-issued the same IP's. The other thing I do is instead of WORKGROUP as a domain, I use LOCAL for all devices. This has worked for me from Windows 95  to current. My Win 10 can browse all my shares on the NAS or any device on my lan.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - RainGater - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote: IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
If you are on a router and the router is shut down ie power failure. Texas are you listening.
The router assigns a new ip to the server and the smb://123.123.1.123/my_share  is no longer a share.
You assign static IP addresses to your shares (devices) within the LAN on your network. So, all the devices inside the LAN will always get the same IP, which is the 192.168.x.x network.  

What you are talking about is public IP, which your ISP gives you and that doesn't matter for shares, whether it changes or not... All the devices inside the LAN gets the local static IP, which should be in the 192.168.x.2-255 range, and Kodi can see the shares without any issue and doesn't care one bit whether the public IP changes or not.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 00:49)Harro Wrote:
(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 00:00)EventDriven Wrote: Here is what I did to make this work. As others said, I needed to reference via IP instead of server name. Basically, I exported my library as a single file and changed all references from my server name to IP. I did the same in passwords.xml and sources.xml. Finally I copied the changed xml files, re-imported the library and then cleaned the library. Maybe there's a simpler way that will work for some but this is what worked for me. Here are the steps I used in a little more detail.
  • Make sure your NAS has a static IP
  • In SMB settings in Kodi, change the minimum required version to SMB1 if you don't currently have a value there
  • Go into file explorer in Kodi and add a source to connect to your NAS share via IP. For example for SMB it would be smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that. I think you need to use a username and password. In any case, I am.
  • Navigate to your profiles directory. Copy passwords.xml and sources.xml to your share.
  • Backup your library to your NAS as a single file
  • Make a backup copy of all the stuff you copied to your NAS in case you need to restore them: the sources, passwords and the library backup.
  • In each of passwords.xml, sources.xml and videodb.xml in your backup folder, using a text editor find and replace your_server_name with the IP address of your server, e.g, 123.123.1.123.
  • Copy passwords.xml and settings.xml back to Kodi and restart Kodi.
  • Import your library by pointing to the backup folder where you edited videodb.xml.
  • Clean you library to remove duplicate entries that are referencing your server name instead of IP. This might take awhile if you have a large library so don't panic.
As I said, maybe there's an easier way that will work for some but this is what worked for me.
This is all well and done, it works, I had to put a password in my windows sign-on but it does work
The elephant in the room.....
IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
So set up all shares over or
-you will have to set up a static IP on all the serving boxes.
Have you read the instructions to do this with win10Huh

So really all this effort just to run a buggy version of KODI..

18.9 is looking better all the time.

Best if Kodi just works the way we like it.
I reserve all my IP's in the router, that way if power goes out all the devices are re-issued the same IP's. The other thing I do is instead of WORKGROUP as a domain, I use LOCAL for all devices. This has worked for me from Windows 95  to current. My Win 10 can browse all my shares on the NAS or any device on my lan.

Still a pain in the keister don't ya think. I have 4 kodis streaming in my household.(NO cable TV).
I am sure to not be alone with this dilemma.
Not sure why what has worked since time began, can no longer work.

(2021-03-02, 01:05)RainGater Wrote:
(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote: IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
You assign static IP addresses to your shares (devices) within the LAN on your network. So, all the devices inside the LAN will always get the same IP, which is the 192.168.x.x network.  

What you are talking about is public IP, which your ISP gives you and that doesn't matter for shares, whether it changes or not... All the devices inside the LAN gets the local static IP, which should be in the 192.168.x.2-255 range, and Kodi can see the shares without any issue and doesn't care one bit whether the public IP changes or not.
I just copied another post for the numbers thus the 123.xxx. This was my fault for not being concise.
HOWEVER..
The IPs I am talking about are LAN 192.168.0.181 right now on my computer something else on the kids different again on my wife's, and then there is the guest room.
So 4 computers 4 static ip setups 4 pains in the asses.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - RainGater - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 02:41)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-03-02, 01:05)RainGater Wrote:

I just copied another post for the numbers thus the 123.xxx. This was my fault for not being concise.
HOWEVER..
The IPs I am talking about are LAN 192.168.0.181 right now on my computer something else on the kids different again on my wife's, and then there is the guest room.
So 4 computers 4 static ip setups 4 pains in the asses.
I guess we are NOT talking the same language. You setup static IPs for the devices that have shares. If your wife, kids, and your PC all have shares, then setup static IP, which will not take more than I finish typing this. LOL.

Kodi needs the IPs for the shares only.

Devices with shares will have a static IP. Then, configure Kodi to use these shares with IP/User/Password. That's it.

Repeat it for your wife/kids/rooms, etc.

In essence, you set it up in one machine and copy the .kodi directory (/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/) to all the devices where kodi is running. That simple!

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-03-02

Setting up static IP addresses is best done via your router (if it's smart enough). It's a central location where you easily manage your IP pool via MAC addresses, and you don't need to dive into each computer in the local network separately to change it to that static address.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-02

If things are configured correctly then there should be no need to use the IP address anyway, I'm able to use the Hostnames e.g. smb://desktop with zero issues in my network.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Naismith - 2021-03-02

I can connect to my local server PC with ANY Android app or another PC... but with KODI 19 no.
I need to change my whole local network just for this app?... i am going back to KODI 18.9.

Anyway, thanks for the amazing job to all the kodi team, hope you can reconsider the SAMBA approach.

I've just done some thorough testing and shares without passwords still work ok with Kodi, the odd thing is you need to enter something within the user & password fields now and this appears to be anything you want, it does not matter, just anything so those fields are not empty. In my tests I tried using a single space character and also tried the single letter z and Kodi connected with no issues at all.

After about a week of research I have now learned how to watch TV with Kodi 19.0
  1. KODI 18.9 Setup
    1 add source
    2 browse
    3 add location
    4 smb
    5 server name
    6 OK
    Watch TV...Easy peasy.....
    ----------------------
    KODI 19.0 Setup
    0-Go into windows setup and try to find a place to add a sign on password
    -or figure out what the PW is because auto sign on was enabled by your computer friend..
    -because who needs to PW protect a computer in their bedroom.
    -Worst case here is a computer reset to setup a new sign ON PW
    Then you can....
    1 add source
    2 browse
    3 add location
    4 smb
    5 search computer for LAN IP
    6 enter Server name(this is that IP you had to search for0
    -are we having fun yet??
    7 ADD user Name (not sure how to find this)
    -try settings
    -system
    -about
    Look for device NAME
    8 ADD password( if you were fortunate enough to find how to add one)
    9-OK
    AND we are not done yet.
    This is where it gets interesting.
    A You can Check your passwords.xml, mediasources.xml, sources.xml.
    passwords.xml should look like:
    A-----------------------------
    <passwords>
    <path>
    <from pathversion="1">smb://PCNAME/FOLDERNAME</from>
    <to pathversion="1">smb://1:1@PCNAME/FOLDERNAME/</to>
    </path>
    </passwords>
    mediasources.xml should look like:
    <mediasources>
    <network>
    <location id="0">smb://1:1@PCNAME/FOLDERNAME</location>
    </network>
    </mediasources>
    sources.xml should have a video entry like:
    <source>
    <name>NAME OF SOURCE</name>
    <path pathversion="1">smb://PCNAME/FOLDERNAME/</path>
    <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
    </source>
    Nothing to it right?
    Carrying ON.
    B------------------------------------------
    If A is not for you
    Go into Network settings on every KODI server 4 in your network.
    1-Right-click the network (on Wi-Fi) icon visible on Windows 10 Taskbar.
    2-From the list of 2 options displayed, select the latter one – Open Network and Internet settings.
    3-locate ‘Related Settings’ section
    4-click on the ‘Change adapter options’ link visible there.
    5-Right-click the network connection you need to set a static IP-address for and select ‘Properties
    6-Switch the selector to ‘Use the following IP address’.
    Now make the entry for the following fields, corresponding to your network setup.
        IP address (Find it using ipconfig /all command)
        Subnet Mask (On a home network, it is 255.255.255.0)
        Default Gateway (It is your router’s IP address.)
    7-do not forget to check ‘Validate settings upon exit’ option
    8-OK
    Whew that wasn't so bad right..
    C--------------------------------------------------
    The most complicated way yet.
    1-LOG into your router(after you figure out how to do it) You need a name and PW here also,
    -You should be able to find the settings on the interWEB. good luck
    2-try to find a setting for reserving an IP to a certain nick address (found by searching through windows network settings)
    -usually by going into settings network blah blah blah......
    3-repeat for every server in you KODI network...
    4-Setup static IP addresses  via your router (if it's smart enough). Manage your IP pool via MAC addresses
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    NOW hope to hell you did everything right, rush out to your KODI box and see if you can find your music files.

REPEAT if neccessary....

You make sound so complicated, literally took me less than 5 minutes to setup an entirely new network share and add it to kodi.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Nehemoth - 2021-03-02

Maybe the moderators of this forum should separate the Windows thread for the Android one.
It looks like in Windows the problem can be fixed but not so for Android/TV.

As more people comment, the confusion grows.

(2021-03-02, 20:10)jjd-uk Wrote: You make sound so complicated, literally took me less than 5 minutes to setup an entirely new network share and add it to kodi.
A little sarcasm can go a long way..
it took about 15 seconds before the up grade.
  1. KODI 18.9 Setup
    1 add source
    2 browse
    3 add location
    4 smb
    5 server name
    6 OK
  2. now it is 5 minutes??

That included creating the share on the Win 10 PC. For the Kodi side less than 1 min.

All you need to do on Kodi is:

Check SMB Client settings under Services and make sure Min version is SMB1, you'll then never need to touch that again.

After that:

1. Add source

2. Browse

3. Add network location

4. Set server name to the Computer name ( no need to use ip address)

5.i. If share does not have a password:

Select username add any letter you want
Select password add any letter you want

5.ii. If share does have password protection use the account credentials of the user on pc assigned to share.

6. OK.

And that's it.

(2021-03-02, 20:40)jjd-uk Wrote: That included creating the share on the Win 10 PC. For the Kodi side less than 1 min.

All you need to do on Kodi is:

Check SMB Client settings under Services and make sure Min version is SMB1, you'll then never need to touch that again.

After that:

1. Add source

2. Browse

3. Add network location

4. Set server name to the Computer name ( no need to use ip address)

5.i. If share does not have a password:

Select username add any letter you want
Select password add any letter you want

5.ii. If share does have password protection use the account credentials of the user on pc assigned to share.

6. OK.

And that's it.