Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 21:39)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-03-02, 20:40)jjd-uk Wrote: That included creating the share on the Win 10 PC. For the Kodi side less than 1 min.

All you need to do on Kodi is:

Check SMB Client settings under Services and make sure Min version is SMB1, you'll then never need to touch that again.

After that:

1. Add source

2. Browse

3. Add network location

4. Set server name to the Computer name ( no need to use ip address)

5.i. If share does not have a password:

Select username add any letter you want
Select password add any letter you want

5.ii. If share does have password protection use the account credentials of the user on pc assigned to share.

6. OK.

And that's it.
They?? say SMB1is unsafe, that was the first thing I did and still am but TheyHuh? say that is not safe.
So we can all do what we want right.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-02

The used SMB version is controlled by the device where the share is setup, so yes you shouldn't be using SMB1 for that. On the client kodi side setting SMB1 as the min will just ensure it can connect to any SMB share on the network, as it says it's a minimum. So if if share is on Windows PC with SMB1 disabled it will always use SMB2/3.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-02

(2021-03-02, 21:53)jjd-uk Wrote: The used SMB version is controlled by the device where the share is setup, so yes you shouldn't be using SMB1 for that. On the client kodi side setting SMB1 as the min will just ensure it can connect to any SMB share on the network, as it says it's a minimum. So if if share is on Windows PC with SMB1 disabled it will always use SMB2/3.
Thanks, I seem to be pulling it together now
I disabled SMB1 on windows changed the 18.9 to SMB1 minimum and all is OK on that front.
18.9 did not work if windows SMB was disabled and minimum was NONE go figure.

Working on v 19.0 on an old box in the basement right now.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - dpw2atox - 2021-03-03

While this workaround is better than nothing, it really doesn't address the root issue. On a shield tv for example, if I do the workaround and manually map the smb shares via IP, folder and username/password there are huge issues streaming content off my Nas. For example I started playing a video this way as a test, after a few minutes it just paused and then crashed back to the file browser. I tried another file, same issue, after a few minutes it hung then crashed back to the file browser. I was able to play both of these without issue on Kodi 18.9 because I didn't have to mount the shares in Kodi, they are already mounted by the OS on my shield. My specific issue with Matrix is that it breaks being able to view mapped shares on a Shield TV. If this 1 issue was fixed, I would be able to upgrade and use Matrix without an issue. I had similar issues on the shield with Kodi 18.x when I had the shares mapped manually in Kodi, then I read on the Shield forums that it was advised to map the shares directly on the shield and after that I had no issues. For now I am back on 18.9 and not having any issues but its less than ideal to be stuck using old and unsupported software now.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-02, 21:53)jjd-uk Wrote: The used SMB version is controlled by the device where the share is setup, so yes you shouldn't be using SMB1 for that. On the client kodi side setting SMB1 as the min will just ensure it can connect to any SMB share on the network, as it says it's a minimum. So if if share is on Windows PC with SMB1 disabled it will always use SMB2/3.

Ok, I tried on Kodi 19
-disabled smb1 on windows
-set SMB minimum to smb1 in KODI Services
1 add source
2 browse
3 add location
4 smb
5 server name (device name)
6 OK
Now browse shares as before.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Darockman - 2021-03-03

I am beginning to think this smb issue may be why I can't get Matrix to run on Android 11.  I currently have 4 NAS units.  Only 2 of them support SAMBA.  Therefore, I had to manually map the 2 that do not support SAMBA and used the Zeroconf browser to mount the 2 that do support SAMBA.  I notice a slight lag when I open the share entered manually and my tab refuses to run this setup under Matrix.  After I restart Kodi it crashes and will not open back up.  Works fine with 18.9 though.  I could always drop 2k on a new NAS that supports SAMBA or just stick with 18.9 for now.  I hate to have to replace 2 16TB NAS units because of SAMBA.  I am liking 18.9 more all the time.  Smile

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 00:50)dpw2atox Wrote: I had similar issues on the shield with Kodi 18.x when I had the shares mapped manually in Kodi, then I read on the Shield forums that it was advised to map the shares directly on the shield and after that I had no issues. For now I am back on 18.9 and not having any issues but its less than ideal to be stuck using old and unsupported software now.

I'm not aware of any issues with Kodi mounted shares for any other andoid device, so that sounds like something Nvidia needs to fix, it sounds like a cop-out on their part to advise using the OS mount shares, although admittely this probably now sounds like a cop-out on our part saying the Kodi moiunted shares should work with no issues. The problem is that the Shield is the only android device I'm aware of that can do easily do OS mounted shares, so it's not something someone without a Shield can replicate so even here where the Kodi software maybe at fault, it may need someone from the Nvidia dev team to investigate.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - dpw2atox - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 13:32)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2021-03-03, 00:50)dpw2atox Wrote: I had similar issues on the shield with Kodi 18.x when I had the shares mapped manually in Kodi, then I read on the Shield forums that it was advised to map the shares directly on the shield and after that I had no issues. For now I am back on 18.9 and not having any issues but its less than ideal to be stuck using old and unsupported software now.

I'm not aware of any issues with Kodi mounted shares for any other andoid device, so that sounds like something Nvidia needs to fix, it sounds like a cop-out on their part to advise using the OS mount shares, although admittely this probably now sounds like a cop-out on our part saying the Kodi moiunted shares should work with no issues. The problem is that the Shield is the only android device I'm aware of that can do easily do OS mounted shares, so it's not something someone without a Shield can replicate so even here where the Kodi software maybe at fault, it may need someone from the Nvidia dev team to investigate.
Yup I totally get it, previously before I had a Shield I used an atom powered linux box that I installed Kodi on and the only issue I had was with the hardware eventually showing its age. I don't know what nvidia did differently with the shield compared to all other android devices out there but I do know there are a lot of other apps that do properly read the mounted shares from the OS. It might even be that the Shield is still on an older version of Android TV (it should be Android TV 9) and that could be causing the issues. While I don't have a ton of free time, if someone needs additional logs or info I would be glad to do an upgrade on one of my shields for testing sake. Just let me know if I can help.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 19:33)dpw2atox Wrote: It might even be that the Shield is still on an older version of Android TV (it should be Android TV 9) and that could be causing the issues.

The Shield supports upto SMBv3 already, and development is still ongoing even for the 2015 Shield TV. I don't think Android 9 or whatever the Shield runs, is the problem.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - EventDriven - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 00:00)EventDriven Wrote: Here is what I did to make this work. As others said, I needed to reference via IP instead of server name. Basically, I exported my library as a single file and changed all references from my server name to IP. I did the same in passwords.xml and sources.xml. Finally I copied the changed xml files, re-imported the library and then cleaned the library. Maybe there's a simpler way that will work for some but this is what worked for me. Here are the steps I used in a little more detail.
  • Make sure your NAS has a static IP
  • In SMB settings in Kodi, change the minimum required version to SMB1 if you don't currently have a value there
  • Go into file explorer in Kodi and add a source to connect to your NAS share via IP. For example for SMB it would be smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that. I think you need to use a username and password. In any case, I am.
  • Navigate to your profiles directory. Copy passwords.xml and sources.xml to your share.
  • Backup your library to your NAS as a single file
  • Make a backup copy of all the stuff you copied to your NAS in case you need to restore them: the sources, passwords and the library backup.
  • In each of passwords.xml, sources.xml and videodb.xml in your backup folder, using a text editor find and replace your_server_name with the IP address of your server, e.g, 123.123.1.123.
  • Copy passwords.xml and settings.xml back to Kodi and restart Kodi.
  • Import your library by pointing to the backup folder where you edited videodb.xml.
  • Clean you library to remove duplicate entries that are referencing your server name instead of IP. This might take awhile if you have a large library so don't panic.
As I said, maybe there's an easier way that will work for some but this is what worked for me.
This is all well and done, it works, I had to put a password in my windows sign-on but it does work
The elephant in the room.....
IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
If you are on a router and the router is shut down ie power failure. Texas are you listening.
The router assigns a new ip to the server and the smb://123.123.1.123/my_share  is no longer a share.
So set up all shares over or
-you will have to set up a static IP on all the serving boxes.
Have you read the instructions to do this with win10Huh

So really all this effort just to run a buggy version of KODI..

18.9 is looking better all the time.

Best if Kodi just works the way we like it.

If you're storing your files on a win10 machine then you simply need to google "assigning a static IP on Windows 10". You will also want to be able to access your router so that you make sure the IP you assign is outside the DHCP address range so that you don't take the chance of running into IP conflicts at some point.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-03

(2021-03-03, 21:50)EventDriven Wrote:
(2021-03-02, 00:39)damorsoft Wrote:
(2021-02-26, 00:00)EventDriven Wrote: Here is what I did to make this work. As others said, I needed to reference via IP instead of server name. Basically, I exported my library as a single file and changed all references from my server name to IP. I did the same in passwords.xml and sources.xml. Finally I copied the changed xml files, re-imported the library and then cleaned the library. Maybe there's a simpler way that will work for some but this is what worked for me. Here are the steps I used in a little more detail.
  • Make sure your NAS has a static IP
  • In SMB settings in Kodi, change the minimum required version to SMB1 if you don't currently have a value there
  • Go into file explorer in Kodi and add a source to connect to your NAS share via IP. For example for SMB it would be smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that. I think you need to use a username and password. In any case, I am.
  • Navigate to your profiles directory. Copy passwords.xml and sources.xml to your share.
  • Backup your library to your NAS as a single file
  • Make a backup copy of all the stuff you copied to your NAS in case you need to restore them: the sources, passwords and the library backup.
  • In each of passwords.xml, sources.xml and videodb.xml in your backup folder, using a text editor find and replace your_server_name with the IP address of your server, e.g, 123.123.1.123.
  • Copy passwords.xml and settings.xml back to Kodi and restart Kodi.
  • Import your library by pointing to the backup folder where you edited videodb.xml.
  • Clean you library to remove duplicate entries that are referencing your server name instead of IP. This might take awhile if you have a large library so don't panic.
As I said, maybe there's an easier way that will work for some but this is what worked for me.
This is all well and done, it works, I had to put a password in my windows sign-on but it does work
The elephant in the room.....
IP ==smb://123.123.1.123/my_share or something like that
If you are on a router and the router is shut down ie power failure. Texas are you listening.
The router assigns a new ip to the server and the smb://123.123.1.123/my_share  is no longer a share.
So set up all shares over or
-you will have to set up a static IP on all the serving boxes.
Have you read the instructions to do this with win10Huh

So really all this effort just to run a buggy version of KODI..

18.9 is looking better all the time.

Best if Kodi just works the way we like it.

If you're storing your files on a win10 machine then you simply need to google "assigning a static IP on Windows 10". You will also want to be able to access your router so that you make sure the IP you assign is outside the DHCP address range so that you don't take the chance of running into IP conflicts at some point.
Install kodi 19 go into system-services change SMB min to SMB1 and everything works. no ip screwing around no pw's just tv..

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-03-04

(2021-03-03, 23:46)damorsoft Wrote: Install kodi 19 go into system-services change SMB min to SMB1 and everything works. no ip screwing around no pw's just tv..

That is the problem : Kodi 19 does not keep the inbuilt network browsing capability with SMBv2 whereas it was working with Kodi 18 with SMBv2 and up.
SMBv1 disabled on server and client sides, kodi 18 was able to access network shares.
It can be setup manually in the user files but it is annoying many users.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - DarrenHill - 2021-03-04

(2021-03-04, 18:37)gulian Wrote: inbuilt network browsing capability with SMBv2

Neither SMB2 or SMB3 have browsing capability (at least to find servers on the network, they do of course have browsing within a connected server), only SMB1 does.

Are you entirely sure that you weren't using SMB1 before?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - MX1977 - 2021-03-04

Kodi just smashed my setup.

I cannot mount my shared foldes from computer over netwoek that worked just fine before.

I have tried all solutions, changed settings (services)
Adding them again via SMB - IP - Shared folder - user - psw
Does not work.

What a bunch of crap.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - n.marek - 2021-03-04

I tried all the SMB settings listed above - min. SMB1 - max SMB3, tried to disable SMB1 in Windows, tried to use IP address for the share path... no go...
It's hard to believe it works for someone.. hope this gets fixed soon, or that someone comes up with solution Sad