Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Snipie - 2021-03-05

I have an issue with my Shield tv. I use UMS and added a upnp device to stream content. Before it updated to 19 it worked fine but now when I select anything it closes kodi and shows it playing but nothing is happening, when I select open it just goes to home screen of kodi

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - piwicreme - 2021-03-05

also break here, smb2 windows10 to android is unrecognized, i tried all the different solutions for smb in kodi but actually this time i use vlc its works well , great idea to make update to kodi 19.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-03-05

(2021-03-04, 21:11)DarrenHill Wrote: Neither SMB2 or SMB3 have browsing capability (at least to find servers on the network, they do of course have browsing within a connected server), only SMB1 does.

Are you entirely sure that you weren't using SMB1 before?

I am entirely sure that SMBv1 is disabled on my Synology. I know that for sure because my old printer was using it ans since it is disabled I'm force to use my ISP smtp to send the scans.
Also, I'm 100% sure that with my NAS shared folders mounted on the shield storage settings, kodi 18 is displaying automatically all the shared folders without modifying any user file.

Kodi Matrix lost the shared folders, I still have the library, but when I set manually the shares, I lost the library informations in "Videos".

That is why I told that SMBv2 is able to network browsing.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-05

(2021-03-05, 13:14)gulian Wrote:
(2021-03-04, 21:11)DarrenHill Wrote: Neither SMB2 or SMB3 have browsing capability (at least to find servers on the network, they do of course have browsing within a connected server), only SMB1 does.

Are you entirely sure that you weren't using SMB1 before?

I am entirely sure that SMBv1 is disabled on my Synology. I know that for sure because my old printer was using it ans since it is disabled I'm force to use my ISP smtp to send the scans.
Also, I'm 100% sure that with my NAS shared folders mounted on the shield storage settings, kodi 18 is displaying automatically all the shared folders without modifying any user file.

Kodi Matrix lost the shared folders, I still have the library, but when I set manually the shares, I lost the library informations in "Videos".

That is why I told that SMBv2 is able to network browsing.

If you had the shared folders mounted in the Shield storage settings then those would have appeared to Kodi as local folders not network folders, that means the Android OS on the Shield was handling the SMB communication so that is not network browsing from a Kodi point of view.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - MuonGold - 2021-03-05

Kodi 19 on Zidoo isn't working with SMB, effectively bricking my Kodi19.  I'm sad.  I've tried everything I can think of.  ZDMC still works but thats Kodi 18.x. 

I have a generic Windows 10 (not even licensed) media server.  It has worked for a couple years no problems.  It's 20H2 with all the latest updates and it does not have SMB1.  After installing Kodi 19 on Zidoo, all SMB broke.  I tried setting to SMB2, SMB3, none, nothing works.  I installed SMB1 on Windows 10 just to see if that might work, set Kodi to SMB1, still doesn't work.  Something has changed with the SMB implementation in Kodi 19 on Android, that's for sure.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Jjmaingrain - 2021-03-05

I cant get this to work, i can see my shares on everything apart from Kodi, on an android tv box. Very frustrating. Nothing works, doesnt even recognise my correct credentials. I dont think I can even downgrade to 18 on android tv

RE: Upgraded to Matix - SMB Broken? - Oiwutr - 2021-03-06

(2021-02-20, 17:44)HairBear Wrote:
(2021-02-20, 10:35)pellajl Wrote:  
Settings -> Services -> SMBclient -> Minimum = V1, Maximum = V1.

Min version is indeed necessary. With max set to SMBv1, at least, the default min of 'None' gives "Invalid argument". Setting min to SMBv1 finally brought Matrix to life for my setup. Wish I could have those hours back.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - pruthisith - 2021-03-07

Thanks everyone for help posting the fix for this version.
I'm not sure why this is happening, having SMB should be standards and I don't know why it is getting more complicated each time.

This is the step I took and got it to working.
  • Go to setting > service
  • Enable Expert mode
  • Set min requirement to SMBv1 (you need to restart and come back)
  • Set max requirement to SMBv1 (you need to restart and come back)
At this stage you will be able to connect SMB now but got stuck in user/pass. This doesn't work with non-user/pass folder.
If you want to access the folder then do the step below:
  • After the above setting, Now Legacy mode will be available turn it ON (you need to restart and come back)
  • DONE!
Now if you have the previous folder configuration, then this should fix it for you immediately.
But if you are new user, then you need to re add the directory again (smb://YOUR server IP) and then go in and add each shared folder one by one.

Also on the step above I did setup the workgroup to be the same one as my server and also setup WINS server to the same IP address as my router/gateway.

That's it, hope this help.
Hope this help.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Klojum - 2021-03-07

(2021-03-07, 10:37)pruthisith Wrote: I don't know why it is getting more complicated each time
Set max requirement to SMBv1

I hope you have a top quality firewall and router security in your local network, as there is a big reason why SMBv1 is now is deprecated: it has way too many security malfunctions. Just like the proverbial ostrich sticking its head deep into the sand. If you want to use your network unprotected, that's up to you. But don't start preaching that this is the best solution. It is not.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Malosar - 2021-03-08

So the quick fix for setting to SMBv1 worked however given the insecurities with v1 I decided to see about getting it all working with SMBv2 minimum. I have Shields and a Synology NAS.

Coincidently, I had just built a new PC for my wife who could not access my NAS shares with the new W10 install. I figured these were related and indeed that was the case.

Checking my Synology NAS in Admin, the SMB settings for Networking were configured for SMBv1 minimum and maximum. The NAS was only communicating over SMBv1. My own W10 desktop still worked because it had an older upgraded Windows installation where SMBv1 was still enabled. I took these steps to switch everything to SMBv2+
  1. Change Synology NAS to SMBv2 minimum and SMBv3 maximum, it restarts networking after the change
  2. Test my wife's new W10 install, she is now able to connect to the NAS shares
  3. On my W10 PC, go to Settings -> Apps -> Programs and Features -> Turn WIndows features on or off -> Uncheck SMBv1/CIFS File Sharing Support -> Restart
  4. Confirm still able to access NAS shares on my own W10 pc
  5. Change Nvidia Shield Kodi services to SMBv2 minimum SMBv3 maximum
  6. Confirm playback on Shield Kodi for my NAS sources
Everything is working now without any SMBv1 and without doing anything with sources

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-11

I did change in Services from "none" to "v1"

Then went to Add videos > Browse>add network location > wrote server name and the username/password for a second user I created (because main has no password)

That's the path I used on in Kodi 18, and always worked perfectly. Now I get an Error >Connection time out

What I'm doing wrong and should do different?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - catshome - 2021-03-12

try to replace the server "name" with the server "ip"

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-12

(2021-03-12, 02:33)catshome Wrote: try to replace the server "name" with the server "ip"
Did it just replacing server name with IP number, and it didn't work.

Did it replacing server name with IP and adding second username and password and got "connection refused"

What else can I try?

I did full factory reset two times already.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - scv1 - 2021-03-12

(2021-03-12, 15:04)carlmart Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 02:33)catshome Wrote: try to replace the server "name" with the server "ip"
Did it just replacing server name with IP number, and it didn't work.

Did it replacing server name with IP and adding second username and password and got "connection refused"

What else can I try?

I did full factory reset two times already.
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but did you actually type in the share (folder) name along with the server and username/password?  Also, type your username as servername\username, not just username.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-12

The way I did with Kodi 18, I typed the server name of my computer, then the username and password of the second user, as my main user has no password. Then OK, and it added an smd://server name to the new share options. Then all shared HDDs or folders opened and had to be validated.
What do I have to do now?
If you show me an example I may understand what you are suggesting.
Can you show me your setup page so I understand it better. Let's see what I have on that page, fill it as you say it should

Protocol: (SMB)
Server name:  do I put my computer name, as shows on each HDD Sharing/network path
-Browse
-Shared folder
Port
Username:    Second user name
Password:    Password registered