Kodi Community Forum
Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Printable Version

+- Kodi Community Forum (https://forum.kodi.tv)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Forum: General Support (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=111)
+---- Forum: Android (https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=164)
+---- Thread: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? (/showthread.php?tid=360606)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-12

You haven't said what is acting as the SMB server? some NAS device? Windows PC? Linux PC?

Did you add the new user to have permission to access the share?

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - scv1 - 2021-03-12

(2021-03-12, 16:29)carlmart Wrote: The way I did with Kodi 18, I typed the server name of my computer, then the username and password of the second user, as my main user has no password. Then OK, and it added an smd://server name to the new share options. Then all shared HDDs or folders opened and had to be validated.
What do I have to do now?
If you show me an example I may understand what you are suggesting.
Can you show me your setup page so I understand it better. Let's see what I have on that page, fill it as you say it should

Protocol: (SMB)
Server name:  do I put my computer name, as shows on each HDD Sharing/network path
-Browse
-Shared folder
Port
Username:    Second user name
Password:    Password registered
Server name:  do I put my computer name, as shows on each HDD Sharing/network path - Yes, either the name or IP address.  If you've gotten "Connection refused" your box found your server by name.
-Browse - Leave blank, browsing isn't supported with SMB 2/3
-Shared folder - I think you're missing this; this is probably something like Movies, TV, or Music; it's the media folder(s) on your server
Port - Leave blank unless you really know you need it
Username:    Second user name - correct
Password:    Password registered - correct

Also, did you give the new user permissions to the shared folders, either explicitly or by group membership?  You shouldn't need to grant it anything more than Read.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-12

(2021-03-12, 20:36)jjd-uk Wrote: You haven't said what is acting as the SMB server? some NAS device? Windows PC? Linux PC?

Did you add the new user to have permission to access the share?
Yes, I did say I was using my PC with Windows 10 as server.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-12

(2021-03-12, 22:43)scv1 Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 16:29)carlmart Wrote: The way I did with Kodi 18, I typed the server name of my computer, then the username and password of the second user, as my main user has no password. Then OK, and it added an smd://server name to the new share options. Then all shared HDDs or folders opened and had to be validated.
Can you show me your setup page so I understand it better. Let's see what I have on that page, fill it as you say it should

Server name:  do I put my computer name, as shows on each HDD Sharing/network path
-Browse
-Shared folder
Port
Server name:  do I put my computer name, as shows on each HDD Sharing/network path - Yes, either the name or IP address.  If you've gotten "Connection refused" your box found your server by name.
-Shared folder - I think you're missing this; this is probably something like Movies, TV, or Music; it's the media folder(s) on your server

Also, did you give the new user permissions to the shared folders, either explicitly or by group membership?  You shouldn't need to grant it anything more than Read.
NEVER EVER  did I have to fill in Shared Folder. The video or music with user permissions simply showed themselves when the form was approved. Now it doesn't accept  something I'm filling in. The second user name and password is fine: it booted through it alright. So the important data is fine: server name and username/password. A data that worked with Kodi 18 every time, and now it doesn't. So something changed and I don't know what.
Is there a way I can install Kodi 18 again, because Play Store doesn't give me that option. Then I could prove my point.

Now I'm trying to install Kodi 18 again. Not finding Gogle Chrome on my applications to download it.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - scv1 - 2021-03-13

(2021-03-12, 23:19)carlmart Wrote:
(2021-03-12, 22:43)scv1 Wrote:

-Browse
-Shared folder
Port

NEVER EVER  did I have to fill in Shared Folder. The video or music with user permissions simply showed themselves when the form was approved. Now it doesn't accept  something I'm filling in. The second user name and password is fine: it booted through it alright. So the important data is fine: server name and username/password. A data that worked with Kodi 18 every time, and now it doesn't. So something changed and I don't know what.
Is there a way I can install Kodi 18 again, because Play Store doesn't give me that option. Then I could prove my point.

Now I'm trying to install Kodi 18 again. Not finding Gogle Chrome on my applications to download it.
The reason you need to fill in a shared folder is that if you just connect to the server you're browsing; connecting directly to a share is not browsing.  I'm using Windows Server 2016 (which is the server version of Windows 10) and have this working on 5 Android clients with a mix of 6 shares; all are using some of the shares and some are using all of the shares.  It will work if you follow our instructions.   Take a break, take a breath, calm down for a bit and come back to it.

Lets start from the beginning:  Have you set the Min SMB value to 2 and the Max SMB value to 3?  If you need to set these, reboot the device afterwards or restart Kodi. 

Humor me, and right-click on your Video folder and choose Properties.  In the new windows, click the sharing tab and make sure in the top section it says Shared and underneath for network path is what you are typing in Kodi.  While you're in that window, click the Advanced Sharing button and then the Permissions button.  Make sure either the second account is listed or a group the account is a member of is listed (Everyone, Users, Guests, etc.).  Highlight that user/group and make sure at least Read is selected. Click OK twice and in the Properties window click the Security tab.  In the top section, again look for either the user account or a group it's a member of.  Click Edit, and in the new windows highlight the user/group and select Allow for "Read & execute", "List Folder Contents", and "Read".  If more are selected it's fine, but this is a minimum to get you Read permissions that will work with Android.  Verify this is set.  I know it's a pain, and it should just work...

Once you have that done, try again the connection info specifying the shared folder.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Flo_Lie - 2021-03-13

I had the same issues. Used NFS mounted drives for my Synology NAS.
Since the upgrade to Kodi 19...it's all gone.

But...I found a workaround, which works partly.
Now, I can see all my movies & series, but I can't see the artwork/IMDB stuff,etc.
Bu untill Kodi fixes this bug, it's better than nothing.

In Kodi/Go to settings/Sevices/UPnP/DLNA and enable UPnP support + enable Share My Libraries
Then I went to my Nas, and had to move all my folders to the 'video' folder.
I imagine that most of Synology users already had the files there, but I didn't.

Now that you have all the movies + series in de videofolder, go to the énter files selection/add videos...
Then go to browse => UPnP devices
There you should see your NAS.
Your NAS => Video => Enter your preffered folder => than click ok.
Leave the path the way it is. Just enter the right name of the folder in the 'enter a name for this media source' field.
Now you see that folder mounted as you used to (except all the fancy artwork, which makes Kodi so nice).
Hopefully Kodi will fix this major issue soon, but for now I can access my files again.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - carlmart - 2021-03-13

(2021-03-13, 01:08)scv1 Wrote: Lets start from the beginning:  Have you set the Min SMB value to 2 and the Max SMB value to 3?  If you need to set these, reboot the device afterwards or restart Kodi. 

Yes, I did.

Humor me, and right-click on your Video folder and choose Properties.  In the new windows, click the sharing tab and make sure in the top section it says Shared and underneath for network path is what you are typing in Kodi.  While you're in that window, click the Advanced Sharing button and then the Permissions button.  Make sure either the second account is listed or a group the account is a member of is listed (Everyone, Users, Guests, etc.).  Highlight that user/group and make sure at least Read is selected. Click OK twice and in the Properties window click the Security tab.  In the top section, again look for either the user account or a group it's a member of.  Click Edit, and in the new windows highlight the user/group and select Allow for "Read & execute", "List Folder Contents", and "Read".  If more are selected it's fine, but this is a minimum to get you Read permissions that will work with Android.  Verify this is set.  I know it's a pain, and it should just work...

All HDDs and my DVD palyer have sharing permissions. They were set so since Kodi 8

Once you have that done, try again the connection info specifying the shared folder.

I will not do something I never did on Kodi 18. I'll way until Kodi corrects that bug. Why we never did that before and now we did

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-03-13

(2021-03-05, 13:37)jjd-uk Wrote: If you had the shared folders mounted in the Shield storage settings then those would have appeared to Kodi as local folders not network folders, that means the Android OS on the Shield was handling the SMB communication so that is not network browsing from a Kodi point of view.

Thank you for having replied, I understand that. But how would you explain that Kodi 19 does not see shield shared folders as local folders in smbV2 ?!
whereas it works with Kodi 18. If it were handled by android, it should work...

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - rontonomo - 2021-03-13

I personally have had to many issues trying to use the shield itself to mount network drives and then add them in kodi.  I would recommend not mounting through the shield and just connecting to the shared drives over the network in kodi.  I know there seem to be a never ending amount of people with issues on matrix, however my setup is working perfectly.  Just make sure the drives are shared with the proper sharing and security permissions on windows then for the shared folder just enter the IP of your windows pc then fill out your username and password.  On the shield itself set the minimum version of smb to 1 not none and the max to 3.  With these settings I have zero issues with my shares, network, and my mysql server information.  FYI on my windows 10 setup I have made sure that smb 1 is unchecked in add programs and features, however as long as you set smb minimum to 1 in kodi on shield this should not matter.  BOTTOM LINE is you have to set the shared folder and username and password since this version does NOT support network browsing without it.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - Poker354 - 2021-03-13

(2021-03-13, 15:16)rontonomo Wrote: I personally have had to many issues trying to use the shield itself to mount network drives and then add them in kodi.  I would recommend not mounting through the shield and just connecting to the shared drives over the network in kodi.  I know there seem to be a never ending amount of people with issues on matrix, however my setup is working perfectly.  Just make sure the drives are shared with the proper sharing and security permissions on windows then for the shared folder just enter the IP of your windows pc then fill out your username and password.  On the shield itself set the minimum version of smb to 1 not none and the max to 3.  With these settings I have zero issues with my shares, network, and my mysql server information.  FYI on my windows 10 setup I have made sure that smb 1 is unchecked in add programs and features, however as long as you set smb minimum to 1 in kodi on shield this should not matter.  BOTTOM LINE is you have to set the shared folder and username and password since this version does NOT support network browsing 
You don’t really have to set a username and password. You just can’t leave the boxes blank. My shares are not password protected and I simply put a “space” in each of the username and password lines and it worked fine. However on the Nvidia Shield Kodi 19 does not see Shield mounted storage at all, so there is not option to use it. This is a slight issue for me because I like the option for an external player, the specific player I would use only works for local content and not smb. Mounting shares through the Shield makes them appear as local files.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - scv1 - 2021-03-13

(2021-03-13, 12:28)carlmart Wrote:
(2021-03-13, 01:08)scv1 Wrote: Lets start from the beginning:  Have you set the Min SMB value to 2 and the Max SMB value to 3?  If you need to set these, reboot the device afterwards or restart Kodi. 

Yes, I did.

All HDDs and my DVD palyer have sharing permissions. They were set so since Kodi 8

I will not do something I never did on Kodi 18. I'll way until Kodi corrects that bug. Why we never did that before and now we did

That;s just s silly way to approach anything, and I don't think you're getting it.  There is no bug for Kodi to correct; the only logical thing the devs cold probably do is set default values of Min and Max in the next build so you can skip that step if you wish.  Kodi is following a standard; you might think it's a stupid standard with stupid rules but it's still a standard.  If the steps here provided by me and others are not working for you - you have missed something, either a step, a Kodi value, a password.  Keep in mind we are trying to help you.  If you insist on not specifying a folder to connect to, you can try sharing the root of the drive (BAD BAD BAD idea); but it may work - I remember doing something along these lines with Vista at work for some screwy piece of old equipment designed for Win3.11.  Future implementations of SMB are not going to be be any less restrictive, and it's likely that at some point a Win10 update will remove the ability for SMB1 to function or install.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - jjd-uk - 2021-03-13

Using a drive or server root is perfectly fine so leaving folder field blank is ok, as that is how I add my network devices and I've had zero issues over the last 15 years doing it this way, even with SMB3 shares.

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - damorsoft - 2021-03-14

OK I just did this with a new box
settings services smb client min v1 max v3
Add video source
Browse
Add network location
protocol smb
server name = DEVICE NAME...from settings-system-about.
shared folder empty
user name anything you want eg. aaa
pw same thing eg. bbb
OK
make sure sharing is enabled in control panel network and sharing advanced.

You should have a share..

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - delaware - 2021-03-14

I have exactly the same fucking problem..

Why did you change that in KODI 19
Instead that it is getting better it ist the last shit I have ever seen

I work with kodi sincd kodi 14

and I usually make a good Kodi installation and then I make a backup with the normal " BACKUP " tool that is installed since kodi 14 and earlier

believe me I am not a noob and I was trying now 2 hours to get a simple connection from the amazon fire TV with kodi 19 to my PC

I its fucking not possible !!!!!!!!!!

Then I read here that I must add a new network.

I installed  on my pc a FTP server.. this took me 1 hour to get it done
Then I added this ftp server to the File Manager from kodi with " add source "
I was finally able after 3 hours to get access to me PC

after all that work I started the backup tool and I wanted to select the FTP added source
and guess what ?!?!?!? Fucking what ?  It was not there. It does not show up

what the fuck is that ?
Then I startet to think, make a dropbox account and store your backup there until they fix this shit !

After making a dropbox account I needed to make a Login and Sercret key shit.!!!
Gues what this took me another 30 mins.. and after I had this login datas I typed it into the " Backup " tool from kodi 19
and finally this shit also did not work !

Great Job man ! your kodi 19 is very good.

Then I made a backup into the storage of the Amazon fire tv., and it is not so easy to get this then to the pc
I installed then a very old APK called ES-File.explorer.

I wanted to connect via network to my pc and it somehow also did not work.
But lucky I installed the ftp to my pc and after all this nightmare the ES-File explorer did connect to my PC via FTP

and it took over 1 hours to copy 500 mb from Fire tv to PC !!

I am done with this shit !

Please fix that.. Instead you made kodi 19 better it is the last shit I have ever seen so far..

Please fix that !

And sorry for my bad language but after 4 hours try to find a solution for a step that takes only 1 mins is not ok !

RE: Upgraded to Matrix - SMB Broken? - gulian - 2021-03-15

jjd-uk, or anyone, would you know why Kodi does not see anymore shared folders from disk storage mounted by the Shield?

Thanks for your help.